Blue 3DS XL with Mario Kart 7 Bundle for $199.99 coming soon!

htz

CAGiversary!
Staff member
Feedback
4 (100%)
The 3DS XL Blue with Mario Kart 7 bundle will be on sale next week. Edit: The bundle will be $199.99

2j4pk7k.jpg

The regular 3ds will be getting an official price drop to $139.99 about 2 weeks from now.

Edit: After having more time to review the info I got with another person, I have decided to remove the part of my post suggesting this is a MSRP. The $139.99 is legit and will happen in 2 weeks from at least one retailer but the info I have is kind of confusing on if it is a MSRP drop or just a retailer discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='boostlag']whats the source for the price drop?[/QUOTE]
I don't want to reveal my source but you can get the regular 3ds next week at target for $129.99 by the way. This msrp drop won't happen till 2 weeks from now.

Wow. I know Sony projected a 2013 Vita pricedrop, but they should do it SOONER rather than LATER. I am a devout Vita nut, but I think they are successfully shooting themselves in the foot. Nintendo clearly has the market figured out.

To stay on topic, I may have to bite on the 3DS XL.
Is the MK7 bundle going to be at 169.99 MSRP?

[quote name='SSchmidt']Wow. I know Sony projected a 2013 Vita pricedrop, but they should do it SOONER rather than LATER. I am a devout Vita nut, but I think they are successfully shooting themselves in the foot. Nintendo clearly has the market figured out.

To stay on topic, I may have to bite on the 3DS XL.
Is the MK7 bundle going to be at 169.99 MSRP?[/QUOTE]
MSRP is $199.99.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']So the ugly 3DS XL gets a boost from having a bundle?

I guess that's the only way they're going to sell it.[/QUOTE]

Seriously Nintendo? When are we going to get nice colors, instead of these two vanilla offerings?

Can't believe we aren't getting a new design or color... but at least Nintendo should have made the bundle with the RED unit to mirror the original DS Red Hot Red bundle.

I'm assuming this is a pre-load also... I'd much prefer a cart.

Confirms what I posted about the Target ad. I definitely knew something nutty was going on with that $129.99 pricing.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I'm assuming this is a pre-load also... I'd much prefer a cart.[/QUOTE]

This. I'll gladly pay the extra $10 that I already paid (but which is also within the return period) to have a physical copy of the game and being able to choose the Red XL.

Want a 3DS XL, don't want Mario Kart (Rather, already own it).

EDIT: OH, it's a pre-load? Boo. Oh well. I shouldn't complain about a free game...though how does that work if I want to get a bigger SD Card? (I've a fair bit of DLC, mainly from Theatrhythm.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Found out the other day that my parents are getting me a 3DS XL for Christmas. Now to find a way to drop hints about this bundle. Unless the pre-load makes for too big a hassle. Anyone have experience with these pre-loaded games? How much space does Mario Kart take up?

Also, OP, any idea when official bundle news will drop? If this thing goes on sale next week, it's got to be soon. Maybe waiting for the Cyber Monday dust to settle before pissing off everyone who picked up an XL over the weekend?

I imagine all 3DS boxes in the future are going to be super tiny and without the charging cradle and other things. If you've seen the SM3DL Red 3DS bundles at stores over the past week, you'd know they were about 1/4 the size.

Not only is it a cost-cutting measure, but they can ship a lot more units per box now. Maybe like two-three times as much.

So those BF bundles were effectively non-deals, no wonder there was such a lack of 3DS deals this BF. How many people actually use the charging cradle, I know if I was buying this I probably wouldn't. I think you can get a charging cradle for like $3 used at GS if you really want one, I think I have seen them there for that price.

For me to buy the price has to hit $99 or else I won't buy for the regular model, but I am still wondering which one to get, the XL is bigger and has a better battery but it also looks more pixelated, I won't be using the 3D feature so that is not a concern, the regular is cheaper and more pocketable which would be better for collecting streetpasses, not that I will get any around here anyways but I would probably still carry it 24/7 in the hopes of getting a couple.

[quote name='SaraAB']So those BF bundles were effectively non-deals, no wonder there was such a lack of 3DS deals this BF. How many people actually use the charging cradle, I know if I was buying this I probably wouldn't. I think you can get a charging cradle for like $3 used at GS if you really want one, I think I have seen them there for that price.[/QUOTE]

I use my charging cradle all the time. It's really convenient and SUPER EFFECTIVE!

[quote name='easper']
Also, OP, any idea when official bundle news will drop? If this thing goes on sale next week, it's got to be soon. Maybe waiting for the Cyber Monday dust to settle before pissing off everyone who picked up an XL over the weekend?[/QUOTE]
It's suppose to go on sale this upcoming sunday. Based on the reveal of the red 3ds with super mario 3d land bundle. I would guess Wednesday or Thursday. If they don't reveal it I will post the full ad from a retailer that will be offering it on Sunday. ;)

I'm still waiting for the 3DS XL with the inevitable 2nd analog stick. Bet it's going to be Nintendo's biggest announcement at next year's E3.

[quote name='soonersfan60']
I'm assuming this is a pre-load also... I'd much prefer a cart.[/QUOTE]

See, for a game like this I'm the opposite... I'd much rather have the digital version.

Mario Kart is the kind of game I want to have with me all the time. I almost never carry any extra cards beyond whatever single player game I'm playing that I leave in the system, I usually just shove it in my pocket and go. I'd gladly trade my physical copy for a digital version if they were codes and not pre-loaded.

I support the color argument though. I was fully expecting to by a 3DS XL this year, but instead ended up unexpectedly buying a white Vita on the Amazon bundle because it was an acceptable color and a great price.

[quote name='ZincAlloy']I'm still waiting for the 3DS XL with the inevitable 2nd analog stick. Bet it's going to be Nintendo's biggest announcement at next year's E3.[/QUOTE]

Why won't people give this up? It won't happen. Period.

[quote name='gokuofheaven']Still waiting for a different color. Anything but the Blue & Red ![/QUOTE]
Im waiting for black or silver. The red and blue look too "toyish"

[quote name='elessar123']Why won't people give this up? It won't happen. Period.[/QUOTE]
and personally I think it shouldn't. The only reason to add a second analogue stick is to make games work for southpaws but noone cares about us. I think the color blind get more attention than us.

Nice deals. Kinda wish it was a cart instead of a digital version myself but waiting like always pays off.

[quote name='htz']The 3DS XL Blue with Mario Kart 7 bundle will be on sale next week. Edit: The bundle will be $199.99

2j4pk7k.jpg

The regular 3ds will be getting an official price drop to $139.99 about 2 weeks from now.[/QUOTE]

Would be awesome if there are still the Flame Red/Mario bundles left and those drop in price as well.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Can't believe we aren't getting a new design or color... but at least Nintendo should have made the bundle with the RED unit to mirror the original DS Red Hot Red bundle.

I'm assuming this is a pre-load also... I'd much prefer a cart.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo prefers being able to save the cost of the ROM when it costs so little to pre-load it on the bundled SD card. They can even include a higher capacity SD card to keep the base spec intact while including the game. (3DS games are currently 2 GB at most, though most are far smaller.) The 3DSXL comes with a 4 GB card. Expect that to grow to 8 GB to make room for bundled sweeteners rather than carts.

Mask ROM production is increasingly becoming a bad option for game system makers. Sony has already abandoned it on the Vita. All Vita carts are generic flash memory devices internally. This makes things a LOT simpler in manufacturing now that flash has dropped below mask ROM in cost. It becomes much more like making optical discs where the item being written can be changed on short notice and there is no penalty for small production runs. Mask ROM favored large production runs because there was a substantial cost and time involved in changing to a different game being produced. This is why some games in the cartridge days would start off hard to find and never get better regardless of market demand. If the publisher didn't have enough capital to risk it just couldn't afford to commit to making more carts when demand might dry up before they were ready to ship. With flash carts nothing is final until the label goes on.

[quote name='htz']I don't want to reveal my source but you can get the regular 3ds next week at target for $129.99 by the way. This msrp drop won't happen till 2 weeks from now.[/QUOTE]

holy shit, awesome deal right there if that's true! but as mentioned before, if that included the mario game that would be amazing, or hope there are good prices other than $40 to pick up mario land or paper mario:sticker star. I really want one, just sometimes can't justify another console without an awesome deal. I could see people doing return rebuys from black friday if they're gifts and still in an unopened state.

I just noticed the Flame Red 3DS isn't listed on Nintendo's site anymore.

That sucks, it's my favorite color of the hardware and if something were to happen to mine and I had no way to replace it that would suck.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Might have to return my Target 3DS XL that I got for $175 plus tax. Saving $25 during Black Friday, might not have been worth it.[/QUOTE]
It definitely was not a BF worthy deal. People were getting it for that much on launch day after gift card/future game credit offers from k-mart.

Mario kart 7 still goes for $35-40 easy so this is a decent deal bundle if it sells for $200.

PS I would love to get mk7 for $20-25 if it goes on sale somewhere today.

Still waiting on a nice color and price drop on a 3DS XL. The blue looks okay, but I would have liked it a bit darker. Don't really care for Mario Kart 7, either.

[quote name='Wolfkin']and personally I think it shouldn't. The only reason to add a second analogue stick is to make games work for southpaws but noone cares about us. I think the color blind get more attention than us.

Nice deals. Kinda wish it was a cart instead of a digital version myself but waiting like always pays off.[/QUOTE]

I've never understood the left handed thing myself. I'm left handed but I've never had any problem using a standard controller on any system. On an arcade machine with a big central stick and buttons duplicated on both sides (remember Gorf?) I might not use the same hand on the stick as most people but I cannot remember ever being held back by the alignment of the controller. The ability to flip the screen on the Atari Lynx was cool but I never used it in real life play. Just fooled with it to see it working.

Maybe I'm not sufficiently left handed. I write sinister but I throw with the right and have no problem with common scissors. Though I did grow up always eating next to the same left handed sibling. It may be a lifetime of subtle conditioning against my 'handicap.'

Maybe I'll upgrade if the 3DS XL hits $150. $160 w/o the game would have been tempting, but I already have a 3DS and MK7.

The XL is gorgeous, but I can't justify it so soon into the systems lifecycle. It feels like I should just wait longer until the battery can't hold a charge anymore or something breaks on it, because i use it damn near every day.

Sold. Getting an XL for my son for XMas. Going to pick up SML3D, NSMB2 & Zelda to round it out and he will be set for the next year.

[quote name='Link2999']Feeling a bit foolish for paying $250 at launch now xD[/QUOTE]
Thats what all the $350 Wii U early adopters will soon be saying. I bet prices will be down fast on that one in order to rush sales out before a 720 announcement.

[quote name='elessar123']Why won't people give this up? It won't happen. Period.[/QUOTE]
Because Nintendo has a history of releasing multiple reiterations of the same handheld often adding things that should have been in the first one.
This will undoubtedly happen!

[quote name='SaraAB']So those BF bundles were effectively non-deals, no wonder there was such a lack of 3DS deals this BF. How many people actually use the charging cradle, I know if I was buying this I probably wouldn't. I think you can get a charging cradle for like $3 used at GS if you really want one, I think I have seen them there for that price.

For me to buy the price has to hit $99 or else I won't buy for the regular model, but I am still wondering which one to get, the XL is bigger and has a better battery but it also looks more pixelated, I won't be using the 3D feature so that is not a concern, the regular is cheaper and more pocketable which would be better for collecting streetpasses, not that I will get any around here anyways but I would probably still carry it 24/7 in the hopes of getting a couple.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the XL also has dimmer screens and much worse speakers. Compare them side-by-side if you get a chance.

[quote name='CaboWabo']Thats what all the $350 Wii U early adopters will soon be saying. I bet prices will be down fast on that one in order to rush sales out before a 720 announcement.[/QUOTE]

Depends if they make their launch numbers or not. Wii pricing largely ignored the existence of the competing machines and moved a massive number of units. Nintendo is counting on doing the same and establishing a good base before Sony or Microsoft announce anything. If they stick to their historical tactics the launch prices for the new generation will make the Wii U look relatively inexpensive. That is leaving aside the likely performance differences, which the mass of Wii buyers were largely oblivious to anyway.

bread's done
Back