Memory Card Use

molson1138

CAG Veteran
Question for you experienced vita owners. I just picked up one of the bundles from Amazon and need to get a bigger memory card. About how many games will fit on a 16GB card? I plan on keeping plus and I see uncharted is just over 3GB but I assume game saves, ect take up space too. I'm guessing 4GB per game is a good size one game so I'd get about 4 games per 16GB card?

[quote name='molson1138']Question for you experienced vita owners. I just picked up one of the bundles from Amazon and need to get a bigger memory card. About how many games will fit on a 16GB card? I plan on keeping plus and I see uncharted is just over 3GB but I assume game saves, ect take up space too. I'm guessing 4GB per game is a good size one game so I'd get about 4 games per 16GB card?[/QUOTE]

It really varies quite a bit. Some PSP games are well under 1GB (some are less than 400MB), and even some Vita games are in the 1 - 2 GB range. But of course some Vita games are ~2 - 4GB range.

Personally, I'd suggest the 32 GB card if you can get one at a decent price. While the price is up there, the per-GB cost is usually the best deal and you'll probably use it eventually (if not sooner, especially if you are going to pick up some PSP games and have PSN+).

While some of the bigger games are around 3-4GB, most are actually much smaller. As long as you don't care about having 20 games on your Vita, I say you'll be alright with a 16GB card unless you can get a 32GB for not much more money. I think you'll probably get closer to 8 games on that card, more if you buy a lot of the smaller PSN type games.

I keep leaning towards the 32GB card but then I think how often do I care if I have more than a couple of games with me. I don't think it would be that often and I would be okay with ~5 games at any given time. I plan on backing them up to my PC and swapping them out as I want. Is this a newbie way of thinking and I will find it's actually better to keep a bunch of games on me?

I should probably just get the 32GB but the responsible part of me says save some $$ and get the 16GB for now.

On my 16gb stick:

Gravity Rush
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Jet Set Radio
Motorstorm RC
Treasure Park
Frobisher Says
Mutant Blobs Attack
Sound Shapes
Pinball Arcade
Zen Pinball 2
StarDrone Extreme
GTA: Vice City Stories
Final Fantasy Tactics
Syphon Filter
Castlevania: SOTN
Beats Trellis
Space Shooter for 2 Bucks
Where is my Heart?
Velocity

Plus a few apps. FB, Twitter, Netflix, YouTube, etc.

3.8 Gigs free after all that.

[quote name='molson1138']I keep leaning towards the 32GB card but then I think how often do I care if I have more than a couple of games with me. I don't think it would be that often and I would be okay with ~5 games at any given time. I plan on backing them up to my PC and swapping them out as I want. Is this a newbie way of thinking and I will find it's actually better to keep a bunch of games on me?

I should probably just get the 32GB but the responsible part of me says save some $$ and get the 16GB for now.[/QUOTE]

I bought a 32GB card at launch just so I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. I seriously think anyone could definitely get by with 16GB, though.

[quote name='quasar502']On my 16gb stick:

Gravity Rush
Jet Set Radio
Motorstorm RC
Treasure Park
Frobisher Says
Mutant Blobs Attack
Sound Shapes
Pinball Arcade
Zen Pinball 2
StarDrone Extreme
Final Fantasy Tactics
Syphon Filter
Beats Trellis
Where is my Heart?
Velocity

3.8 Gigs free after all that.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, after seeing your list I feel like I shouldn't have bought that 32gb >.

Surprisingly the 16GB is good choice:

Gravity Rush
Resistance Burning Skies
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Mutant Blob Attack
Super Stardust Delta + DLC
Sound Shapes
Jet Set Radio
Dissidia duodecim Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy IV complete
Final Fantasy Tactics TWotL
Growlanser Wayfarer of Time
Corpse Party
Cladun: This is an RPG
YouTube
Netflix
2 full CDs

Still have 4GB free on mine.

Well, while everyone else is doing this...

Lumines: Electronic Symphony
Escape Plan
Unit 13
PLaystation All-Stars
Lego Harry Potter 2
Mutant Blobs Attack
Sound Shapes
Plants vs. Zombies
Super Stardust Delta
Motorstorm RC
Stardrone Extreme
Retro City Rampage
Zen Pinball 2
Jet Set Radio
Treasures of Montezuma Blitz
Tomba!
Final Fantasy VII
LittleBigPlanet PSP
Super Crate Box
Frobisher Says
Sine Mora
Treasure Park
Paint Park

And still about 14GB left.

Gravity Rush
Jet Set Radio
Motorstorm RC
Treasure Park
Frobisher Says
Mutant Blobs Attack
Sound Shapes
Pinball Arcade
Zen Pinball 2
StarDrone Extreme
Final Fantasy Tactics
Syphon Filter
Beats Trellis
Where is my Heart?
Velocity

damn. that's awesome. i should have checked out fred meyer's on bf.

Gravity Rush
Jet Set Radio
Motorstorm RC
Treasure Park
Frobisher Says
Mutant Blobs Attack
Sound Shapes
Pinball Arcade
Zen Pinball 2
StarDrone Extreme
Final Fantasy Tactics
Syphon Filter
Beats Trellis
Where is my Heart?
Velocity

Did you buy Hot Shots Golf from PSN or do you own a hard copy and just copied the game onto your memory stick? Is that even possible?

I'm leaning toward the 16 gig also, mainly because it pisses me off to no end to pay nearly 50% of what I paid for the device just for freaking STORAGE - seriously Sony, wake the fuck up.

Oh, and I wanted to bring this up also - a GameStop employee mentioned to me that a 64 GB card is on the horizon, and it won't cost much more than the 32, so that might be something to consider.

Nice of him to give me the heads up, or I probably would have bought a 16 already.

[quote name='teknikalei']Oh, and I wanted to bring this up also - a GameStop employee mentioned to me that a 64 GB card is on the horizon, and it won't cost much more than the 32, so that might be something to consider.

Nice of him to give me the heads up, or I probably would have bought a 16 already.[/QUOTE]

Was this before or after they kissed you hard on the mouth?

[quote name='teknikalei']Oh, and I wanted to bring this up also - a GameStop employee mentioned to me that a 64 GB card is on the horizon, and it won't cost much more than the 32, so that might be something to consider.

Nice of him to give me the heads up, or I probably would have bought a 16 already.[/QUOTE]

I'd take anything that a Gamestop employee says with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Good to see 16gb works for most. I might rethink the 32gb purchase I have in the back of my head.
Plus if I grab the 16gb that will keep less games on my Vita therefore force me to beat them instead of switching between games all the time which I have a awful habit of doing.

[quote name='Komentra']I'd take anything that a Gamestop employee says with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Good to see 16gb works for most. I might rethink the 32gb purchase I have in the back of my head.
Plus if I grab the 16gb that will keep less games on my Vita therefore force me to beat them instead of switching between games all the time which I have a awful habit of doing.[/QUOTE]

Good point, that's a big problem of mine as well. :lol:

[quote name='Komentra']I'd take anything that a Gamestop employee says with a grain of salt.

Plus if I grab the 16gb that will keep less games on my Vita therefore force me to beat them instead of switching between games all the time which I have a awful habit of doing.[/QUOTE]

This would be a problem for me as well. If I have too many distractions I won't focus on anything

[quote name='Mixer236']Was this before or after they kissed you hard on the mouth?[/QUOTE]

I love that this inside joke is still going. The "wink and a shush" thread lives on!

[quote name='teknikalei']Did you buy Hot Shots Golf from PSN or do you own a hard copy and just copied the game onto your memory stick? Is that even possible?

I'm leaning toward the 16 gig also, mainly because it pisses me off to no end to pay nearly 50% of what I paid for the device just for freaking STORAGE - seriously Sony, wake the fuck up.[/QUOTE]

I bought it through PSN. I did own the hard copy first, but traded it in when it went on sale digitally. They will not let you copy the data to the memory card.

I really wanted the 32gb, but ended up not really needing it. I'm also really bad about switching between games way too much when I have so many.

I wasn't taking his word as gospel, but even if it's 3+ months down the road, I appreciated that he chose to give me the heads up rather than just trying to sell me a 32GB card for the sake of his sales numbers.

He could be full of shit, who knows.

[quote name='akathatoneguy']I love that this inside joke is still going. The "wink and a shush" thread lives on![/QUOTE]

Care to fill me in on the joke?

[quote name='akathatoneguy']I love that this inside joke is still going. The "wink and a shush" thread lives on![/QUOTE]

Defintely one of my threads of the year! I laugh every time someone mentions it.

[quote name='teknikalei']Care to fill me in on the joke?[/QUOTE]

I couldn't find the actual thread but a few months back someone started a thread in which they said something along the lines of, "I was at (can't remember which store it was) GS/BB earlier and the manager told me a big sale was coming, and then he winked at me and put a finger to his lips to gesture my silence". After which, CAGs made fun of him and started saying, "So I went to GS last night and the manager grabbed my ass cheek and told me ______ game was going to be on sale soon" or "I was shown a list by an employee at BB about a future sale, and then he squeezed my nipples and told me to meet him in the back room in 15 minutes".

You'll see posts referencing that thread every once in a while, and every time it's hilarious. :lol:

On topic: I've got 19 GB left on my 32 GB card, with the following installed:

Uncharted
PS All-Stars
Gravity Rush
Wipeout 2048
Jet Set Radio
Mutant Blobs
Frobisher Says
LBP (PSP)
FF Tactics: War of the Lions
Tetris (PS Mini)
Various apps (FB, YouTube, Twitter, Netflix)

[quote name='teknikalei']Care to fill me in on the joke?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the thread was deleted, and I'm not sure I can do it justice. The upshot was that a CAG went in to GameStop and was talking to an employee who hinted at an upcoming sale that hadn't been advertised yet and "gave a wink and put his finger to his lips like 'shush'".

Well, with CAG being the mature, upstanding community it is, the thread rapidly devolved into more and more elaborate depictions of the GS employee sexually harassing the TS, the tags got edited, and it turned into a pretty funny, though admittedly juvenile, thing.

Of course, I wasn't involved in any of that. :cool: Okay, maybe a bit. It was pretty funny, and every now and then when someone mentions talking to a GS employee a CAG who read or participated in the thread will make a comment about the employee wanting to kiss you, winking at you, etc.

[quote name='teknikalei']I wasn't taking his word as gospel, but even if it's 3+ months down the road, I appreciated that he chose to give me the heads up rather than just trying to sell me a 32GB card for the sake of his sales numbers.

He could be full of shit, who knows.[/QUOTE]

Oh, and I think part of what people mean is most of the time GS employees talk out of their ass because they like to think they know things since they work at an actual game store, when 9 times out of 10 they know no more than the middle-aged guy working the electronics department at Target. They aren't really part of the gaming media/scene but they a lot of times think they have inside information.

That being said, I totally wouldn't be surprised if a larger memory card was coming soon, and if it was a store manager then I'd be more inclined to believe it as truth.

[quote name='akathatoneguy']Unfortunately, the thread was deleted, and I'm not sure I can do it justice. The upshot was that a CAG went in to GameStop and was talking to an employee who hinted at an upcoming sale that hadn't been advertised yet and "gave a wink and put his finger to his lips like 'shush'".

Well, with CAG being the mature, upstanding community it is, the thread rapidly devolved into more and more elaborate depictions of the GS employee sexually harassing the TS, the tags got edited, and it turned into a pretty funny, though admittedly juvenile, thing.

Of course, I wasn't involved in any of that. :cool: Okay, maybe a bit. It was pretty funny, and every now and then when someone mentions talking to a GS employee a CAG who read or participated in the thread will make a comment about the employee wanting to kiss you, winking at you, etc.[/QUOTE]

Jinx!

Thanks for clearing up which store it was though, I couldn't remember which it was. A shame that thread was deleted, explains why I couldn't find it since I was sure I posted in it. That thread was gold!

[quote name='Mixer236']Jinx!

Thanks for clearing up which store it was though, I couldn't remember which it was. A shame that thread was deleted, explains why I couldn't find it since I was sure I posted in it. That thread was gold![/QUOTE]

Agreed!

This is what I got.
Uncharted
Gravity Rush
Wipeout 2048
SFxTK
Escape Plan
Jet Set Radio
Retro City Rampage
Mutant Blobs Attack
Motorstorm RC
Super Stardust Delta
Zen Pinball 2
Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess
NOVA
Floating Cloud God
LBP Vita
LBP psp
Street Fighter alpha max 3
Resistance Retribution
Silent Hill
Resident Evil 2
Castlevania SotN

Also have AC3, MK, UMVC3, Unit 13, Rayman, MLB 12, and Hot Shots on cartridges with 10gb left on my 32gb.

bread's done
Back