Engagement Rings (HELP!)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 metaphysicalstyles

metaphysicalstyles

Boo this man.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Just go for an engagement ring. There's no rule that says you have to marry the chick you're engaged to. Besides, promise rings are for high school. I've known people who remained engaged for years before officially tying the knot. Some of which never married. In a way, it almost sounds like you truly have no desire to actually eventually marry this girl.

Also, where's the gratuitous "stick it in her pooper" post?!
Posted Imagehttp://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/neuroned%27Posted Image

#32 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Forget the ring, and ask her to go steady next time you're at The Max.

:lol:......:applause:

Get that magician dude to pull it out of his fake flowers or something!

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#33 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Really? Rings at Zales carry a lifetime warranty that covers theft or losing it.

Zales is also one of the worst places to buy a ring.

Zales Lifetime Jewelry Protection Plan covers all jewelry bought at Zales, excluding watches. This service is non-transferable, and does not cover theft, mysterious disappearance, loss or damage other than that incurred in normal wear.

You also have to bring the ring in for cleaning and inspection regularly.

#34 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Zales is also one of the worst places to buy a ring.

Zales Lifetime Jewelry Protection Plan covers all jewelry bought at Zales, excluding watches. This service is non-transferable, and does not cover theft, mysterious disappearance, loss or damage other than that incurred in normal wear.

You also have to bring the ring in for cleaning and inspection regularly.

Every 6 months isn't bad. Only problem I have with them is that they send it out and it takes like 2 weeks since none of the repair people work in the store :(.

#35 blissskr

blissskr

Come on Square

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Just keep saving up money to buy her a real engagement ring when ready because for $50-100 your choice is a silver ring or electroplated gold one. However if you want to give your girl a ring before then you can easily make a 90% silver ring with some effort on your part. The technique can be found online to turn a U.S. silver quarter into a ring. The quarter must be dated 1964 or earlier as the composition turned to clad in 1965. The rings actually come out quite nice if you take your time making it and she'll feel special knowing you made it. I made my wife one from a quarter and my 5,4 year old daughters one from mercury dimes for the hell of it. Here's a picture of the work in progress on my wife's ring. I basically beat the quarters edge with a spoon for like a week straight and then drilled the middle out. This picture is shortly after drilling out the middle before I polished it and sanded down and smoothed the inside so that it fit my wife's finger. The words liberty, the date, United States of America and most of In god we trust are visible on the inside of the ring. My wife actually shows other women that when they ask about the ring because many don't believe it was made from a quarter. In fact my wife likes it so much she stopped wearing her $2500 engagement ring and just wears this one and her wedding ring. Although she still won't let me sell the dam engagement ring and make some money back off the gold content and diamonds lol. In fact if I had known she'd like this coin ring so much I would have never bought an engagement ring and saved myself the cash as silver quarters are like 6/7 dollars each currently.
Posted Image
:cold:

#36 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Like every single other person in this thread said, don't do the promise ring thing. It's for...well...children.

Either go for the engagement ring, or, start saving for one.

#37 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Get on your knee. Tell her you want her forever. Tell her you want to get her a ring and that you will as soon as it is feasible. Tell her that you couldn't wait until that day to commit yourself to her. She will love it and understand.

The old bridge used to be called the new bridge.

card.png

#38 bordjon

bordjon

tastes good on the bun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

Here's a picture of the work in progress on my wife's ring.

Wow! I'd never seen this before and instantly wanted to give it a try. I did a bit of research and digging around in the box of coins I inherited from my dad. (whoa shit I've got a lot of valuable coins?!?) and pulled out a '62 quarter and started beating it with a spoon. It's coming along nicely and my wife is super excited about it! She's already wanting me to make one for my daughter too. Thanks for posting this!

*edit* Oh - to make an on-topic comment - I agree with everyone else on foregoing the promise ring and either do the engagement ring or just wait. Most importantly - talk about engagement - a lot - and make sure you two are on the same page. I also agree with folks talking about insurance. I can also suggest going through an individual jeweler and not a chain - better quality stone and better deal all around in my opinion.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#39 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

I just got engaged last year while I was in Brugge, Belgium. I bought a crappy $14 ring off amazon to do it. (Granted she got to pick her own ring when she got back) If money is tight there is no reason why the price of the ring should matter. If the other person won't be committed to you based on that, you're probably better off not being with them.

It never ceases to amaze me how much some women (ok, and probably men) care about a stupid stone of artificial worth. The price is diamonds is under control by the cartels and has no real reflection of the supply of diamonds in the world.

#40 gnarlyeggs

gnarlyeggs

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

I just got engaged last year while I was in Brugge, Belgium. I bought a crappy $14 ring off amazon to do it. (Granted she got to pick her own ring when she got back) If money is tight there is no reason why the price of the ring should matter. If the other person won't be committed to you based on that, you're probably better off not being with them.

It never ceases to amaze me how much some women (ok, and probably men) care about a stupid stone of artificial worth. The price is diamonds is under control by the cartels and has no real reflection of the supply of diamonds in the world.

This is a good idea. I did the same thing. She loved the idea of picking her own, and was happy i didn't spend a ton of money on a ring she hated!
Posted Image

#41 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

Forget the ring and stick it in her pooper.

This is probably the best advice in the entire thread.
Currently playing:
:pc: - Red Orchestra 2
:pc: - Killing Floor
:pc: - SimCity 4
:360: - Uno
:360: - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

#42 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

I love these threads, I'd hate for people here to know what I spent on my wife's ring, there would be a revolt.

I agree though, skip a per-engagement ring. No point.

But I would echo most thoughts here. You are really young. That usually spells disaster.

#43 Angie7F

Angie7F

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I would skip the promise ring and go for a proper engagement too.

Also girls are pretty picky about accessories, so unless it is a ring with a pretty decent rock on it, (meaning the value of the rock surpasses the design) then it probably would be better to hold on to that money and get her an engagement ring later.
Sure it is superficial and shallow to worry about the price tag on a piece of carbon or whatever stone you choose, but at least it should be something she likes.

#44 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

What is the purpose of calling a thread Engagement rings if you don't plan to get engaged?

Like others stated, don't bother with a promise ring.

If you were planning on wanting to marry her, why not go all in now. Who says you can't have a long engagement. Just because you are engaged doesn't mean you have to get married right away. Most girls expect 2x-3x a paycheck salary on the ring. You being in college right now, you can't be making all that much, which makes your ring that much cheaper without the girl expecting more. Granted in the long run, you might have to upgrade it. Just a thought...