Photo
- - - - -

Last issue of Nintendo Power - Cover revealed (On newsstands 12/11)

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#31 scottman

scottman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Can't we all just get along? We are at a funeral.

#32 Rozz

Rozz

We Trippy Mane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Nice cover (love the homage), but I never really planned on reading the magazine again.

#33 Strider Turbulence

Strider Turbulence

Son of the Old Gods

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

The cover is terrible, it looks so forced and goofy.

Oh well, I'll probably still pick this up just 'cuz. NP was a great mag and I still buy back issues if I ever see them in pawn shops.

birdie-intro.gifAlpha 2

#34 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

The cover is terrible, it looks so forced and goofy.

^^ Doesnt get it.

#35 Licasguy

Licasguy

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

Just found the issue at Walmart, and the comic portion alone is worth the whole issue. Get it, ASAP.

#36 Josh1billion

Josh1billion

日本語の学生

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

For those who don't get the reference, here's issue 1:

Posted Image

Josh1billion.png

Random Garfield - comic generator

Thumb socks? More like penis hoodies...  :D/

#37 cheapbastard

cheapbastard

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

Bought it yesterday @ Ralphs

#38 JSP

JSP

Return to my Roots

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

Saw this at Wal-mart yesterday, definitely gonna pick it up. I haven't read the magazine in years, and even by the time I dropped out (2009ish?) I had lost most interest, but this mag was a huge part of my adolescence.

I remember buying an issue with the second half of Paper Mario walkthough when I was a kid, and loving the mag cover-to-cover. I subscribed all through middle school and high school, from the mid-2005s rough times of "Now Playing" review sections and boring walkthroughs for games no one wanted to play, up through their great redesign around the Twilight Princess release when they became much more self-aware and started responding to letters with random photos of Mr. T.

Gotta have this for the nostalgia.

Also, I'll always remember Alan, the slime on staff.

Posted Image
Posted Image

where scoob

#39 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

I picked it up yesterday at target. I thought the poster with every single Nintendo Power issue on it was really cool. Brings back great memories of Nintendo Power

#40 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Sad to see it go, but with the advent of the internet, it was just a matter of time at least in its current form.

#41 scottman

scottman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

Not all of my targets seem to sell this, but one did. Nice for collectors that it comes in a sealed plastic bag. My walmart didn't carry this, but safeway had a ton. Still have my issue #1 somewhere, although it has been beaten up pretty bad from numerous readings and age.

Do the subscribers get anything different, like they usually do?

#42 deftoast

deftoast

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:28 AM

This magazine blew my mind when the 1988 first issue arrived at my babysitter's so long ago. It will be missed.

#43 my2k2zx2

my2k2zx2

Molly, Rockin the Doggles

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

I cannot find this issue anywhere. Where is everyone finding it?
If its free, its for me!!

#44 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

I cannot find this issue anywhere. Where is everyone finding it?

The official street date should be tomorrow. People are reporting it in Target and Ralph's (I've never heard of a Ralph's).

I'm going to check Barnes and Noble, Target, and various grocery stores.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#45 my2k2zx2

my2k2zx2

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

The official street date should be tomorrow. People are reporting it in Target and Ralph's (I've never heard of a Ralph's).

I'm going to check Barnes and Noble, Target, and various grocery stores.

I'll have to see if any are available on Saturday. Wont be able to check anywhere until then.

#46 Cap'n_RDM

Cap'n_RDM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

I picked up a couple copies at Barnes & Noble on the way home from work. 1 for me and 1 for my kids.

#47 scottman

scottman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

It is also available now directly from the publisher's site. Go to nintendopower.com and clicking the link to buy this issue now will take you to the back issues. $1.50 for shipping and will probably get all bent up in the mail, but is an option if you can't find it anywhere else.

From what I can see, the only difference between subscriber and newsstand covers is the barcode on the front. Anyone with a subscriber version know of anything else?

Saw more of them at another target today (in the dedicated magazine section, not at the checkout), so maybe all carry but just usually sell out each month.

#48 ghostsong

ghostsong

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

I got the last copy at my local Hastings today.

#49 nickerous

nickerous

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Walmart had 2 left when I got mine today.

#50 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

There's a nice little writeup about the last issue here - http://www.animenews...tton/2012-12-12
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#51 GameNChick

GameNChick

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

This is still such a sad thing to see. I grew up on Nintendo Power :(

If there's a bright side to all of this, at least the final cover pays homage to the original

#52 TTGSteve

TTGSteve

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

That looks amazing. I'm going to get it and seal it.

#53 my2k2zx2

my2k2zx2

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

Couldnt find it anywhere locally. Easier to pay the $1.50 shipping than drive 20 miles to the next closest store that probably wont have it either.

#54 Macheezmo

Macheezmo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

I couldn't find this anywhere in my town, but my wife works about 40 miles away so I asked her to look for one for me. She found it and bought me two copies so I could keep a sealed one, because she is awesome. I have about the first 100 issues, and now the last issue which makes me feel compelled to try and collect the rest of them.

#55 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

My son got his copy yesterday. I thought they were going to pass subscriptions on to some other video game magazine, but they are instead going to refund for the remaining amount.

He's sad this magazine is going away, but loves the issue.

#56 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Picked one up yesterday. My local Target had a few, but couldn't find any at Barnes & Noble.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#57 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Decided to try and get one today while getting grocery at Walmart, last copy hidden behind the 2nd to last issue of PtoM (which dies next month, sadly) started to read it today and they did go all out, there were some good letters, some brought back some memories of what they mentioned, then I skipped over the 285 best games for now and to the retrospective by year, and looking at the pictures I was like yep know that and that, that too.

Plus I can always look at the hard copies I still own too (I own most of the first 50 issues, the ones I don't including the Super C issue I'm in, I have digital versions of) gave away most of my magazines this summer in a massive purge, all of my Nintendo Powers went to my oldest nephew who used to collect them too. Seemed like the best fit.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the issue, if its as good as the first 20 or so pages have been. ;)
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#58 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

Almost done reading through it and so far the best piece is the Nester comic at the end very touching and poignant, got a little misty reading it, thought it was a good way to cap off the magazine. Would have to say pretty quality all around for a last issue.

Glad I picked it up as I was a bit apathetic toward the announcement originally and was like good riddance, but I'll admit that was a bit misguided even though in recent years (before Future took over anyway) the magazine was a shell of its former self, IMO. And if I didn't get a free strategy guide (or a game as twice the case was) every time I re-subscribed I would have never bothered to keep doing so.

And good to know I (like Cliffy B, him for SMB, me for Shadowgate along with a friend) were part of it and were mentioned briefly so during its run. Cheers and RIP NP, you will be missed. :applause:
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#59 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

I can't find this anywhere at all.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#60 my2k2zx2

my2k2zx2

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

I can't find this anywhere at all.

I couldnt find it either. Ended up paying the $1.50 extra and buying in online.