3DS XL worth the upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#31 jbuck138

jbuck138

Wario for President!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

blueshinra - I recently upgraded and gave my daughter my old 3ds. Their is no comparison, get the XL. The screen and graphics still look great and the sound is fine. I can't believe I used to play on the smaller system.

#32 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

There is a slightly lesser lack of 'sharpness', as it were, but it's not enough to outweigh all of the other benefits of the XL.

Yeah, "sharpness" is why I ask, since one of the big reasons I'm getting a 3DS is for an RPG with in-game art that looks like this:

Posted Image

How slight is the loss? Just want to make doubly sure.

I have looked at both systems in stores, but none of the demo games (Pilotwings, Mario platformers, etc.) have used 2D art.

Edited by blueshinra, 05 January 2013 - 03:53 PM.

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#33 prateeko

prateeko

IN THE BUTT!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

How does the brightness compare between the two screens for you guys? I was told the CL has a simmer screen at the same setting so as to preserve battery life, is this correct?

#34 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

How does the brightness compare between the two screens for you guys? I was told the CL has a simmer screen at the same setting so as to preserve battery life, is this correct?

It is dimmer in terms of an overall brightness ceiling, yeah. I had my regular 3DS set to 4, but my XL needs to be at 5 to achieve the same level. Truthfully, though, it's not a problem. I've yet to run into a situation where I've needed it any brighter. So, there's a difference, but it's not one that really seems to be problematic in any way.

#35 MrSneis

MrSneis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'm really late to this to reply but I chose the regular over the XL having owned both at the same time; atm I own neither.

The XL does have bigger screen, better battery but it feels like a cheap toy compared to the regular 3ds. In the hands it's hollow feeling and has a bit of flex in the casing. It wasn't any more comfortable imo in fact the finish on the XL seemed conducive to generating sweaty palms which I can easily see leading to pre-mature paint wear on the console. The sound quality is noticeably worse on the XL as well.

I really enjoyed owning the DSi XL but the 3ds XL is not for me.
Virtual Hydlide, Bad Dudes

#36 scottman

scottman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

The playing experience just seems better with the bigger screens and less of a squinting experience. Sound is a little lower and less "bass"ey, but the quality might be more realistic. And the actual size of the 3ds xl is smaller than the dsi xl.

#37 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

I got a 3DS XL like 2 weeks ago and love it. Hold it next to my regular 3DS makes it looks so tiny. It was defninitely a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

#38 chronosnes

chronosnes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

I'm very much enjoying my 3DS XL and have found that I'm playing it more due to the size increase. I'm also playing a lot more DS games and appreciate the larger display for them.

I also like the buttons a lot more and the larger size of the machine feels better in my hands. The position of the stylus is better plus it's size is nice. Finally, the locked 3D slider! Since I play with it off 100%, it no longer becomes activated by accident.

Overall, hands down must have upgrade for me.

#39 TimesTicking

TimesTicking

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

First time owning a 3DS XL and I feel like the 3DS XL was cheaply made. I am thinking of returning this for a 3DS but will that be worth it? I am having a tough choice since its my first Nintendo handheld.

#40 adriley313

adriley313

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

So worth the upgrade. Ive had both and love my 3DS XL now.
Feels awesome and love playing Fire Emblem on it.

I love the way it feels.
Now Playing:
:360: Prototype 2
:3ds: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Now Reading: Impulse by Steven Gould

#41 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

First time owning a 3DS XL and I feel like the 3DS XL was cheaply made. I am thinking of returning this for a 3DS but will that be worth it? I am having a tough choice since its my first Nintendo handheld.

The build quality is said to be better on the XL. It's less creaky, no lines on the screen, start select and home are buttons, not little panels.

#42 Buried On Mars

Buried On Mars

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I want to make the jump to the XL but I afraid as soon as I do an XL with a 2nd circle pad will be announced.
Check out my disastrously clever youtube channel http://www.youtube.c...r/BuriedOnMars/

#43 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I want to make the jump to the XL but I afraid as soon as I do an XL with a 2nd circle pad will be announced.

How long will you keep living in fear?

#44 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:16 AM

I think they would have done it by now or when releasing the xl.

#45 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Just get the XL and trade it in if they announce an upgraded system. No reason to deprive yourself of super happy awesome fun times just because maybe there will be something better down the road. Live in the moment!

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#46 Flutz

Flutz

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

I am trying to decide between the regular 3DS and the XL. I am leaning toward the original because it comes in a color I like (midnight purple) and the XL's screen worries me in terms of PPI. On the other hand, I hear people all over the Internet raving about the XL and how it is so much better than the original 3ds, so I have doubts. Is the difference in pixel density not as much of an issue as I fear? Also, does one feel "cheaper" than the other?

#47 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

I am trying to decide between the regular 3DS and the XL. I am leaning toward the original because it comes in a color I like (midnight purple) and the XL's screen worries me in terms of PPI. On the other hand, I hear people all over the Internet raving about the XL and how it is so much better than the original 3ds, so I have doubts. Is the difference in pixel density not as much of an issue as I fear? Also, does one feel "cheaper" than the other?

I don't find the XL screen to be bad at all and don't notice any issues, but if you are particularly concerned about that then it could be a factor. The XL is heavier and has better build quality and a better hinge (perhaps better buttons too). I am really digging the XL and the huge screen.

The XL at times feels too heavy though and my hands get uncomfortable (probably my small hands rather than button placement or anything) and it sometimes makes me wish that I went with the 3DS.

Overall you should pick your console based on the size and form factor, not the color. You won't even notice the color of the console when you're playing a game, and besides, you can buy skins if it really bothers you. You could even make your own.

http://www.gelaskins.com/store/gaming

#48 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

I really want one too, but I'm still holding out hope that the Pikachu one will come stateside... :cry:
Posted Image

#49 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I don't find the XL screen to be bad at all and don't notice any issues, but if you are particularly concerned about that then it could be a factor. The XL is heavier and has better build quality and a better hinge (perhaps better buttons too). I am really digging the XL and the huge screen.

The XL at times feels too heavy though and my hands get uncomfortable (probably my small hands rather than button placement or anything) and it sometimes makes me wish that I went with the 3DS.

Overall you should pick your console based on the size and form factor, not the color. You won't even notice the color of the console when you're playing a game, and besides, you can buy skins if it really bothers you. You could even make your own.

http://www.gelaskins.com/store/gaming

The XL actually feels lighter to me because the weight is distributed in a greater surface area than the original 3DS, which feels really dense and would cramp my hands.

Edited by ratzombie, 05 March 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#50 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

I love the XL and for me it's much more comfortable to hold and play at a distance (helps eye strain) than the regular 3DS.

I recently picked up a fantastic padded grip/case for it that my brother recommended:

http://www.amazon.co...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It makes the XL have a nice all around cushion for protection and the cushioned bottom grip makes holding the XL even more easier to hold. Highly recommended if you are looking for a case for your XL.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#51 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

The XL actually feels lighter to me because the weight is distributed in a greater surface area than the original 3DS, which feels really dense and would cramp my hands.

Makes sense. I've never held a 3DS for more than a minute so I can't really compare.

I love the XL and for me it's much more comfortable to hold and play at a distance (helps eye strain) than the regular 3DS.

I recently picked up a fantastic padded grip/case for it that my brother recommended:

http://www.amazon.co...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It makes the XL have a nice all around cushion for protection and the cushioned bottom grip makes holding the XL even more easier to hold. Highly recommended if you are looking for a case for your XL.

Thanks, I'm going to check out some youtube videos and reviews and see how I like it.

#52 nickerous

nickerous

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:43 AM

So, the XL has been out for what, 7 months now? Are we less than a year away from the "not quite XL, but bigger than the original" 3ds? Maybe with better resolution? Or would that kill the games? Did the Gameboy Micro have the best resolution among the gba's?
:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Gameburg FC: 0688-5264-2231
Digiburg FC: 1993-7872-0686

#53 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

I was just thinking last night how much i love the larger screen on the XL.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#54 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

So, the XL has been out for what, 7 months now? Are we less than a year away from the "not quite XL, but bigger than the original" 3ds? Maybe with better resolution? Or would that kill the games? Did the Gameboy Micro have the best resolution among the gba's?

If they want to go bigger than the XL, that's fine, but smaller? I hope they just let the regular 3DS die off, if they haven't already (don't actually know if it's still available).

And no, the GBA Micro's screen had the same resolution as all of 'em. It was the worst GBA compatible system, as had the smallest screen and wasn't backwards compatible, and lost the handy flip too.
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#55 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

If they want to go bigger than the XL, that's fine, but smaller? I hope they just let the regular 3DS die off, if they haven't already (don't actually know if it's still available).

And no, the GBA Micro's screen had the same resolution as all of 'em. It was the worst GBA compatible system, as had the smallest screen and wasn't backwards compatible, and lost the handy flip too.

It's screen was pretty high quality though, and it had real backlighting unlike the original model of the SP (And of course the original GBA). I would say it's the second-best GBA model after the revamped SP.
Posted Image

#56 eataburger

eataburger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

I upgraded to an XL when they launched, and just yesterday played a normal 3DS for the first time since then and HOLY CRAP does that screen seem tiny!

Definitely go XL if you can.

#57 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, no downside IMO. And yeah, just seems absurdly tiny. I had a time going from my DS XL and PSP to the 3DS, and of course Vita isn't helping either :lol: The 3DS XL screens are much more reasonable sized and graphics look great.
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
[LIST]

Posted Image

#58 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

The resolution still looks weird to me. It always looks washed out. Do DS games look all right?

Smaller would be better, the 3DS is too bulky. Thinner, maybe, not necessarily smaller.

#59 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Doesn't look washed out to me. DS games look fine too.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#60 Gut

Gut

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

I just upgraded to a 3DS XL about 2 weekes ago from a regular 3DS. WOW there is a huge difference, I love the bigger screens and the XL feels so much better in my hands. I would highly recommend upgrading if you are thinking about it!
Posted Image
Posted Image