• Please log in to reply
826 replies to this topic

#391 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

lol....#9 contributor is Indie Gala..lol

Too funny! I guess that's pretty cheap $300 advertising though!

#392 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

lol....#9 contributor is Indie Gala..lol

ROFL!

I bet all the other "Bundle" guys are pretty angry right now.

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#393 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

ROFL!

I bet all the other "Bundle" guys are pretty angry right now.

I doubt it. I think they know they aren't in the same league. At least I would hope they know that.......

#394 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

I doubt it. I think they know they aren't in the same league. At least I would hope they know that.......

Wouldn't it be great if Indie Face Kick was on the top 10?

#395 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

I think it worked for IG though because there was a noticeable jump of like 1500 bundles sold today. For a minute I thought I missed happy hour, but now I know what happened.

Funny to see three guys from Havok donate, THQ uses their engines a lot in their games. They also use the Bink video codec from RADTools

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#396 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Too funny! I guess that's pretty cheap $300 advertising though!

CheapyD is letting the moment slip by. Sure, $500 for the games is against everything CAG stands for but $500 for the advertising is a great deal!

#397 Fire2box

Fire2box

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

CheapyD is letting the moment slip by. Sure, $500 for the games is against everything CAG stands for but $500 for the advertising is a great deal!

He bought a spot for himself as a NPC in Saints Row 3. You can call him up to help in a fight.
Waddles From Gravity Falls is best pony!

#398 Estbarul

Estbarul

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

I hope the give us some Bonus, that will surely pump the sales a bit more.
PM me if you want to buy with 20% compensation discount in Gamersgate Store
Buy a min of 2$ and get a 2$ account credit on Green Man Gaming

#399 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Up until an hour ago, I thought Jason Rubin was Jeffery Rosen.
Now that I know who Rubin is, I'm surprised he only donated a $1000. He better hope this bundle is a success or he might be out of a job.

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

#400 hustletron

hustletron

poop dollar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Up until an hour ago, I thought Jason Rubin was Jeffery Rosen.
Now that I know who Rubin is, I'm surprised he only donated a $1000. He better hope this bundle is a success or he might be out of a job.

Considering it's made almost $2.5 million regardless of how the money is divided, I'd say it's pretty successful for old games.

#401 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

Considering it's made almost $2.5 million regardless of how the money is divided, I'd say it's pretty successful for old games.

Ya, can;t argue with that. I would love to see this bundle reach $10 million :D

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

#402 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Saints Row 3 = so old it's ancient!

#403 hustletron

hustletron

poop dollar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Saints Row 3 = so old it's ancient!

Because Company of Heroes and Darksiders and Red Faction Armageddon and Metro 2033 are new games. :roll:

More importantly, when is the next bundle thing like this?? This concept is all new to me. Please take my money!!!

#404 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

http://www.1up.com/n...e-loses-special

It's articles like this that made me angry. I;ve been coming across many of them saying how HIB has sold out. These guys have too much ideology built up in their minds, that they can't envision having indie games and AAA games being part of the HIB organization.

1. Humble Bundle has been provding DRM games. I understand you can get the DRM Free form, but many people want the STEAM keys.

2. The author fails to realize the publisher also owns the developers [with the exception of Metro]; so it does in fact benefit the devs.

3. Other "Bundle" groups have been using big publishers in their packs: 1C, Kalypso, Paradox, etc...

Sorry for the rant, just wondering what others think regarding these articles.

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

#405 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Because Company of Heroes and Darksiders and Red Faction Armageddon and Metro 2033 are new games. :roll:

Aside from CoH, those certainly aren't that old, no. Guess it's relative to one's age where a shade under two years might seem like an eternity.

#406 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

While you may recall my posts puzzling about HiB breaking from their Cross-Platform & DRM-FREE stances, since it actually happened, I see it as more of a business progression for HiB, Indie Games, then Music, then Books, now this.

#407 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

Of course, ultimately they want to make money. Same as GOG when they expanded into current releases.

#408 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

There have already been quite a few 'Humble' 'Not-Indie' 'Bundle' offerings as well as just straight-up pre-orders/purchases. (Legend of Grimrock, Retro City Rampage, whatever the hell Voxatron ended-up being, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, I fully support DRM-free and linux and so forth but they branched from just being 'Indie' bundles some time ago so to just now bitch about it is being a bit late.
sudo mklove

#409 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

There have already been quite a few 'Humble' 'Not-Indie' 'Bundle' offerings as well as just straight-up pre-orders/purchases. (Legend of Grimrock, Retro City Rampage, whatever the hell Voxatron ended-up being, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, I fully support DRM-free and linux and so forth but they branched from just being 'Indie' bundles some time ago so to just now bitch about it is being a bit late.

Where do you draw the line at indie/not-indie?

I posited in a recent post that a relevant distinction is if the devs have full creative control over their game.

#410 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

My guess: wherever people are willing to give you money. Just like Mooby said, Humble Bundle is in it to make money and take in money for their charities. My understanding is that THQ reached out to them, not the other way around. (Could be wrong on this, not sure)

#411 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

My guess: wherever people are willing to give you money. Just like Mooby said, Humble Bundle is in it to make money and take in money for their charities. My understanding is that THQ reached out to them, not the other way around. (Could be wrong on this, not sure)

I'm not clear. So in your opinion, indie is stuff people won't pay for?

#412 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

I thought you were asking the distinction made for Humble Bundle itself, not the game developers. I believe the "line" you're referring to for Indie game devs is this:

If you have been signed on with a major publisher: you're not Indie.

#413 earvcunanan

earvcunanan

I'm cool.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

I alway thought "Indie" developers just made low-profile games without huge budgets and makes games that cater to a certain niche.

#414 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Almost. I see "indie" as small developers that are not part of a corporation [yes, some independent devs are corps].
But, by that definition, Valve would be considering "indie" because they are "small" and are NOT a corporation.

I believe in HB promoting "indie" games, but it's fine with me if they want to promote AAA titles from big corporate publishers.

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

#415 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

I thought you were asking the distinction made for Humble Bundle itself, not the game developers. I believe the "line" you're referring to for Indie game devs is this:

If you have been signed on with a major publisher: you're not Indie.

Imo, there isn't a clear line or consensus on indie/not-indie. I directing that question to Fell Open Ian, in response to his post. I believe a good distinction is the devs having complete creative control.

This also begs the question of where exactly do you draw the line? Is Runic Games (Torchlight 1/2 dev) indie? Their parent company Perfect World acquired Cryptic Studios from Atari for over $50 million in May 2011. I suggest that perhaps a better differentiator would be if the devs have complete control over the game direction and content. This was well ridiculed in Brian Fargo's Wasterland 2 kickstarter video. Or more recently the totally "they made us do it" tacked on multiplayer in Spec Ops: The Line.

#416 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

That is definitely a broader question methinks: I mean is Double Fine 'indie'? The Cave is published by SEGA, Brutal Legend by EA, and others by Microsoft etc.

I think that perhaps we are chasing 'self-published' rather than 'indie' but that can get even murkier with stuff like XBLA where Microsoft outright discourages/disallows much of it.

Isn't it all mostly just a feel-good label that we put on stuff in order to justify some purchase? (and in this case one with a charity slant?)

You are getting cheap games and giving to charity. Maybe just skew the sliders towards the kids and can-it.;) (that's not pointed at you but rather myself)
sudo mklove

#417 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

I consider companies like Double Fine and Mojang as big as any gaming company out there.

This thing was always just the Humble Bundle and the Humble Indie Bundle was a subset of that. At least that's how I looked at it.

They are still raising money for charity and they are still helping companies out. THQ might be a "big" company but a ton of indie developers with deals through THQ depend on THQ so the end goal of helping the gaming industry is still being met here.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#418 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Imo, there isn't a clear line or consensus on indie/not-indie. I directing that question to Fell Open Ian, in response to his post. I believe a good distinction is the devs having complete creative control.

That's pretty much my definition. Of course, as others have pointed out, you can have larger 'indie' developers like Double Fine (who actually weren't indie until just recently when they got out under the yoke of THQ). Then you have 'mid-size' ones like Runic and Robot Entertainment who are certainly nowhere near the size of AAA companies rather have a staff of around 30-40 people. And then you have what a lot of people traditionally consider indie: 1-5 people working out of their garage.

Clarification re: Runic. To my understanding Perfect World is not their parent company. They simply gave them some seeder money and publish the Torchlight games in Asia and possibly elsewhere outside the US. It's probably more like an EA Partners type relationship.

#419 hustletron

hustletron

poop dollar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

Aside from CoH, those certainly aren't that old, no. Guess it's relative to one's age where a shade under two years might seem like an eternity.

I doubt it has anything to do with anyone's age and everything to do with the relation of one person's definition of "old" to another person's definition. In an industry that churns out Call of Duty's in or around a year's time, one year is definitely in the ball park of "old".

#420 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

That's exactly my mentality; I like charity, I like cheap games, and the sliders are there for a reason.

But I fully respect and commend anyone who washes their hands of any slimy practices.
sudo mklove