(DEAD) The Humble THQ Bundle: 12/10 Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War added

• Please log in to reply
826 replies to this topic

#511 Needles-Kane

Needles-Kane

White hot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

I looked REALLY hard, and you won't be able to find the legit one anywhere. Microsoft for some strange reason no longer makes any of this stuff. Even the controller bundle is apparently old stock that will eventually run dry, so if you're going to buy, buy now.

Even looking on eBay, I only found one legit receiver being sold without the controller, but it was in a bundle lot with two sealed PC games and was sealed as well. Kinda pricey.

That is very strange and disappointing since it seems like the 360 controller was/is starting to become a standard option for PC games which I think is extremely excellent. Maybe the demand wasn't high enough at first but I would think it would be increasing now.

#512 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

There is another legit option for wireless 360 controller. The Logitech F710 ($45 @ Amazon) is wireless and natively (hardware) supports X-Input (the 360 protocol) and the older DirectInput (switch on the bottom of the controller to toggle). Games see it as a 360 contoller. It's buttons are labeled A-B-X-Y. No drivers or extra software is needed. There's also a cheaper wired and rumble-less version, the F310 ($23 @ Amazon). There used to be a wired version with rumble, the F510 but it seems to have been discontinued. I have a F510.

Posted Image

#513 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

There is another legit option for wireless 360 controller. The Logitech F710 ($45 @ Amazon) is wireless and natively (hardware) supports X-Input (the 360 protocol) and the older DirectInput (switch on the bottom of the controller to toggle). Games see it as a 360 contoller. It's buttons are labeled A-B-X-Y. No drivers or extra software is needed. There's also a cheaper wired and rumble-less version, the F310 ($23 @ Amazon). There used to be a wired version with rumble, the F510 but it seems to have been discontinued. I have a F510.

That F310 looks like a great replacement for my Rumblepad 2, which works well but is a pain in the ass to configure with most games.
698770.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#514 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Legit or not, the shape and quality of an official Xbox 360 controller can't really be matched. That looks like a PS2 controller as far as uncomfortability goes.

The Razer Onza TE is amazing, but they come with factory defects every time I got one. I gave up.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#515 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

I looked REALLY hard, and you won't be able to find the legit one anywhere. Microsoft for some strange reason no longer makes any of this stuff. Even the controller bundle is apparently old stock that will eventually run dry, so if you're going to buy, buy now.

Even looking on eBay, I only found one legit receiver being sold without the controller, but it was in a bundle lot with two sealed PC games and was sealed as well. Kinda pricey.

I ended up buying the Microsoft one through a guy on Slickdeals because I couldn't find it anywhere else. I took a chance on a blind buy but everything went smooth and I got it for $12 I think? This guy mods the controllers and buys a bunch when they go on sale so he had a bunch of receivers he didn't need.

#516 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

Feels fine to me. You want 'uncomfortability' try an original NES rectangle! You whipper snappers!!! We had to walk uphill in the snow to play games! And what's with this rumble nonsense? Who would want a rumble option?!!? It's a game pad not some personal pleasure device manufactured by Trojan!

#517 Dreamcastguy

Dreamcastguy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

I use my Tron Controller to play Saint's Row 3 but they are selling for over $60 now so that really isn't very cost effective.

#518 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

Feels fine to me. You want 'uncomfortability' try an original NES rectangle! You whipper snappers!!! We had to walk uphill in the snow to play games! And what's with this rumble nonsense? Who would want a rumble option?!!? It's a game pad not some personal pleasure device manufactured by Trojan!

This was my first controller. The NES was luxurious when it came around.

Posted Image

I use my Tron Controller to play Saint's Row 3 but they are selling for over $60 now so that really isn't very cost effective.

You'll need it when you get to Deckers.Die.

#519 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

You should only use your Tron controller when you are in a life or death match against the MCP!

This was my first controller. The NES was luxurious when it came around.

Thing of beauty! Only ever saw one at a friend's house. Atari 2600 was the earliest 'system' I played but the joysticks were quite comfortable.

#520 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

I had one of these and, to this day decades later, still have a callus under the joint of my right thumb from resting it on the edge of the stick.

Posted Image

#521 bubzers

bubzers

Derpy Derpy Doo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Im not a fan of controllers. My first "controller" was a Commodore 64 keyboard. And my first game was a balloon that bounced around on the screen - had to load it from a cassette tape. Must be why I prefer keyboard + mouse...
76561198025510545.png

#522 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

When I got my Commodore, I plugged my Colecovision controller into it and still used the accursed thing. :cry:

#523 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

Legit or not, the shape and quality of an official Xbox 360 controller can't really be matched. That looks like a PS2 controller as far as uncomfortability goes.

Spoiler

I hate the physical layout of the 360 controller. I still haven't forgiven them from the too-damn-large Xbox controller. I love the layout and feel of the DS2/DS3 controllers. However you are quite wrong. The Logitech RumblePad 2 and F310/F510/F710 controllers are neither shaped, nor share the same hand-feel of the PS2. They are more hand-sculpted and have a rubberized texture on the lower shell. One generalization that often holds true is blokes with big meaty paws prefer the 360 controller, while those with smaller hands prefer the PS2/3 controller. I also prefer the flush-and-pulls-in trigger of the DS3 over the sticks-out trigger of the 360 & Fx10. And don't get me started on the large deadzone on the 360 controller (and all Xinput controllers).

Posted Image
Posted Image

I fucking hated the sharp corners on the NES controller. It was hard to adjust from the slightly smaller and *rounded* FamiCom controller. Also the FamiCom didn't have the hellish cartridge connector problems of the NES. Oh yeah, and controller 2 had a microphone. The lip you see is because the FamiCom controllers went into convenient slot holders on the sides of the base.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#524 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

I hate the physical layout of the 360 controller. I still haven't forgiven them from the too-damn-large Xbox controller. I love the layout and feel of the DS2/DS3 controllers. However you are quite wrong. The Logitech RumblePad 2 and F310/F510/F710 controllers are neither shaped, nor share the same hand-feel of the PS2. They are more hand-sculpted and have a rubberized texture on the lower shell. One generalization that often holds true is blokes with big meaty paws prefer the 360 controller, while those with smaller hands prefer the PS2/3 controller. I also prefer the flush-and-pulls-in trigger of the DS3 over the sticks-out trigger of the 360 & Fx10. And don't get me started on the large deadzone on the 360 controller (and all Xinput controllers).

Posted Image
Posted Image

I fucking hated the sharp corners on the NES controller. It was hard to adjust from the slightly smaller and *rounded* FamiCom controller. Also the FamiCom didn't have the hellish cartridge connector problems of the NES. Oh yeah, and controller 2 had a microphone. The lip you see is because the FamiCom controllers went into convenient slot holders on the sides of the base.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I bought one of those offset stick controllers for my PS3. To me the 360's placement is much better. The playstation controllers hurt my left thumb after extended use. The left thumb is on the left stick almost the entire time you play so IMO it makes sense to have the stick where your left thumb naturally goes to when relaxed and that's pointed up with the rest of your hand and not stretched to the far right.

#525 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

Hm, I guess that Logitech controller doesn't look too bad. From the front it was looking very Playstation-y to me, but that side shot makes it look more like a 360 controller.

I just have never had good experiences with the ergonomics of Logitech, or Logitech in general. I hated their PS2 controllers with a passion (a friend had fancy wireless Logitech PS2 controllers ages ago, yet I still preferred the normal PS2 ones). I hate how all the gaming mouses they sell too are "big" style; that's why I have a Razer Mamba.

Ironically enough, I don't think my hands are that big. I've never found a controller as comfortable as a 360 one.

For $50 though, I think anyone might as well get the 360 controller + receiver for the same price as just the Logitech controller. That receiver allows you to link up four 360 controllers at once.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#526 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

I have small hands and was shocked to find that I much prefer the 360 controller over the PS3. The 360 feels more natural for me and the PS3 cramped up my hands after a short amount of play time. I wouldn't mind trying out some of the aftermarket controllers though.

#527 FaintDeftone

FaintDeftone

Zelda Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

I own all of them except for Red Faction, and I wouldn't mind having the PC version of Darksiders also, so I threw in a buck and gave the whole thing to THQ. I feel a bit cheap for doing that, but honestly have very little interest in Red Faction and I mainly wanted Darksiders for the PC as well. Plus I bought all of the other games at full price. I'll give the steam keys to others.

EDIT: well shit, can't gift the ones I already own :(

#528 vantheman

vantheman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

Is there going to be a bonus game in this bundle?

#529 chuffhoncho

chuffhoncho

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Is there going to be a bonus game in this bundle?

We should find out today sometime if there is or not.

#530 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

We should find out today sometime if there is or not.

Actually, it's usually the first day of the second week of the bundle. So that means if we get a bonus, we'll find out tomorrow.

#531 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

Actually, it's usually the first day of the second week of the bundle. So that means if we get a bonus, we'll find out tomorrow.

For whatever reason this bundle is actually a day shorter than usual so I thought there was a chance of it happening today.

#532 caldazar

caldazar

RiderOnAPaleHorse

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

yeah I went in on this - didn't bother meeting the minimum though as I already had SR:The Third. The rest of the games are all new to my collection.

** Caldazar **

#533 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

That's why I used the NES Max. Goodbye thumb callous. Hello turbo buttons.

default.png2.png

#534 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

How many gifts have you guys bought? I'm thinking of picking up more than my one, but there might not be a reason for it if everyone already has their own stash.

#535 KryllFood

KryllFood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

I must be in the vast minority of people that likes all controllers. I really couldn't care less. Granted, going back to the old days of NES / SNES / Sega pads that had no palm-handles is rough but since then...I could get by with any.

I was even okay with the supremely ill-conceived dreamcast controller with the cord coming out the wrong way. I wish I could sit down and ask the designer what god forsaken reason they had for that atrocity.

Nowadays, I play all my PC games w/ a plug-in 360 controller. If I had my perfect controller though, I'd have the 360 thumbsticks (without their notorious dead zone) and triggers while having ps3 d-pad and L1/R1. All in a casing that was somewhere between the ps3 and 360's. IMO, the 360's controller has more comfort on initial pick-up than the ps3 but over time, I feel like the ps3 is more comfortable overall...it's strange. I always tend to feel stiffness and hand cramps after long sessions w/ the 360 controller which never happens w/ the ps3. Either way, it's not a deal breaker for me to use either/or.

I'm hoping they do release a bonus game and that it turns out to be Space Marine. I've wanted to get it for a while but never really reached the top of my priority list. This is a fantastic bundle already.

Edited by KryllFood, 05 December 2012 - 09:05 PM.

"Common sense isn't that common anymore..."

#536 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

I was even okay with the supremely ill-conceived dreamcast controller with the cord coming out the wrong way. I wish I could sit down and ask the designer what god forsaken reason they had for that atrocity.

Where else is it going to come out? the top of the controller is taken up by the two slots for VMUs/memory/rumble pack (which sticks out a little). That's why they have the little pinchy grove at the top, so that the cord folds and it still can come out the top. I never had an issue with the cord.
Posted Image

Guardian_owl.png

#537 KirbyLovesTacos

KirbyLovesTacos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

I must be in the vast minority of people that likes all controllers. I really couldn't care less.

Same. Didn't care how it looked or how it felt at first. I adapted and it became natural to me.

#538 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

There is some speculation over on SPUF that we might get the first Dawn Of War game as the bonus. Apparently there was an entry to the registry involving that game today.

Hope not. I already own that game.

#539 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

It would make the most sense. An older title people aren't apt to buy but if they play it and like it they might be inspired to buy the sequel.

#540 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

There is some speculation over on SPUF that we might get the first Dawn Of War game as the bonus. Apparently there was an entry to the registry involving that game today.

Hope not. I already own that game.

I don't. More importantly, it wasn't part of the recent Amazon THQ bundle. Another dupe from that would be pretty crummy.