Photo
- - - - -

Just bought a Vita: Must play PSP games?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 thoth93

thoth93

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

The title pretty much says it all. Of what's available (which I understand is fairly voluminous), what should I pick up? I enjoy all genres except sports, with a particular emphasis on action/adventure and roleplaying games.

Whatcha got for me, CAG crew? :D

Brian

#2 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

Not sure which of these are available as downloads:

Syphon Filter Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow
God Of War Ghost Of Sparta and Chains of Olympus
Assassin's Creed Bloodlines (not amazing but I enjoyed it...kind of short [AI sucks])
Resistance Retribution
Prince Of Persia The Forgotten Sands (2D side scroller)
Mega Man Powered Up
PATCHWORK HEROES [Fun Simple and Creative game with a story]

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#3 spatenfloot

spatenfloot

Don't read this!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

Persona 3 portable

#4 pacifickarma

pacifickarma

Master of Orion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

#5 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

Specifically for the action/adventure and RPG genre:

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
MGS: Peace Walker
FF: Dissidia 012 Duodecim
Ys: Seven

All top notch games.

There's also the God of War series and Ratchet and Clank if you are into that (great games in my opinion). Persona 3 Portable is also excellent.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#6 mightymek

mightymek

Welcome to the Gutter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

The Warriors is a great game. I have played the PS2 and PSP versions, and just picked it up again last week off the PSN store. I also liked Infected, that was fun. And LittleBigPlanet was very good on the PSP.

13374.png

Scars of Life is back in 2013. As heard on the UFC!
New album A HEART STILL BEATS is out now!  Be sure to check us out on iTunes: http://itunes.apple....-life/id6136926

#7 akathatoneguy

akathatoneguy

Use your turn signal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

If you like strategy RPGs at all, grab Jeanne d'Arc. One of my favorite PSP games. There's also FF Tactics: War of the Lions (free with PS+ right now) and Valkyria Chronicles 2, both strategy RPGs. And the Disgaea re-releases...come to think of it, PSP was an awesome system for strategy RPGs.
Check out my MMA editorials at Fightmania, or my gaming blog.

#8 quasar502

quasar502

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

The God of War games are awesome.
Patapon 2 is excellent, as well.
Vice City Stories was a great, portable GTA title.

#9 Nomar1245

Nomar1245

Easy, Cherry Flavored Pez

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

I definitely agree when it comes to the God of War games, I actually just replayed them again recently and they're still pretty great.

I also like the Prince of Persia games. I believe Rival Swords was the one I liked best, but it may have been Revelations. Either way their both pretty good.

And if you're, into them, the Lego games. I really enjoyed the Star Wars one. The humor, paired with appropriately short levels, make for a really nice game to play on the go. Also along those lines I could include Daxter. I picked it up for a buck a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it simplicity. (But maybe being so cheap didn't hurt either :\)

#10 AoA

AoA

Ace of Aces

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

I really liked Loco Roco and Patapon (the originals) and I think there's a cheap bundle with them both. Patchwork Heroes is great too and has a lot of replayability. Crisis Core FF 7 is excellent even if you have a passing knowledge of the FF 7 story. Daxter is a fun platformer and GTA Chinatown Wars is good experience.

#11 frankmackeyspam

frankmackeyspam

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

I just got a Vita myself. So far I picked up:

Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins - $10
The Red Star - $5 (plays like a cross between a bullet hell shooter and a beat 'em up....fun game)

Definitely planning on picking up Valkyria Chronicles 2 eventually. Loved the first one on PS3.

#12 AoA

AoA

Ace of Aces

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Cheap Patapon 2 digital vouchers might still be available in this thread. I took advantage a long time ago and its a good game

http://www.cheapassg...t=328789&page=5

#13 xplode427

xplode427

can't buy me love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

Cheap Patapon 2 digital vouchers might still be available in this thread. I took advantage a long time ago and its a good game

http://www.cheapassg...t=328789&page=5

Got it from amazon. Thanks

#14 skettel88

skettel88

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is one of the best games I'ver ever played.

#15 Axersia

Axersia

Hunter of the Dark

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

Sadly, you'll be missing out on some of the PSP's best games as they only exist on UMD or never had their digital release ported. It also seems they've pulled a bunch of digital releases over the years as I can't find them anywhere now.

But anyway, here's what I recommend after having a quick scroll through the list of Vita-compatible PSP games:

Final Fantasy III
The 3rd Birthday
Dissidia 012 (I've only played the first game, but I hear this makes it obsolete)
Riviera: The Promised Land
Jeanne d'Arc
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
WTF: Work Time Fun
Half-Minute Hero
DJ Max Portable 3 (haven't actually played this installment, but the older ones were great -- of course, DJ Max Technika Tune for Vita releases tomorrow, so if you'd rather have a touch-driven rhythm game, get that instead)

#16 Kotomine

Kotomine

私は日本人を知らない。

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time
Yggdra Union

575x144_2-1.jpg
2011 Completed Games - 36 Games 2012 Completed Games - 29 Games 2013 Completed Games - 14... But it was more than that, I just stopped keeping track. 2014 Completed Games - ???
mfc80x15.png
I support the*Give Us Bikini Anya Movement.

#17 patsrule316

patsrule316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

I am in the same boat. I ordered the AC3 Liberation Vita bundle, and since I have not played anything Playstation related since PS1, I have missed out on several series. I definitely want to try the God of War games.

I have a couple questions about buying them:

I haven't activated my PS+ trials yet, and I haven't even opened the box for my Vita, but I did create a PSN account. I found God of War Chains of Olympus on the PSN and saw that I could buy it for download on the Vita. However, I couldn't see what the price is. It said I have to buy my PSN credit first. I didn't want to do that yet, I just wanted to find out how much it costs. So how much does Chains of Olympus cost, and is it cheaper if I have PS+ active first?

Thanks in advance.

#18 Kotomine

Kotomine

私は日本人を知らない。

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:57 AM

I have a couple questions about buying them:

I haven't activated my PS+ trials yet, and I haven't even opened the box for my Vita, but I did create a PSN account. I found God of War Chains of Olympus on the PSN and saw that I could buy it for download on the Vita. However, I couldn't see what the price is. It said I have to buy my PSN credit first. I didn't want to do that yet, I just wanted to find out how much it costs. So how much does Chains of Olympus cost, and is it cheaper if I have PS+ active first?

Thanks in advance.

:psp: God of War: Chains of Olympus is $19.99 and no it isn't cheaper with PS+ active.

575x144_2-1.jpg
2011 Completed Games - 36 Games 2012 Completed Games - 29 Games 2013 Completed Games - 14... But it was more than that, I just stopped keeping track. 2014 Completed Games - ???
mfc80x15.png
I support the*Give Us Bikini Anya Movement.