Just bought a Vita: Must play PSP games?

thoth93

CAG Veteran
The title pretty much says it all. Of what's available (which I understand is fairly voluminous), what should I pick up? I enjoy all genres except sports, with a particular emphasis on action/adventure and roleplaying games.

Whatcha got for me, CAG crew? :D

Brian

Not sure which of these are available as downloads:

Syphon Filter Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow
God Of War Ghost Of Sparta and Chains of Olympus
Assassin's Creed Bloodlines (not amazing but I enjoyed it...kind of short [AI sucks])
Resistance Retribution
Prince Of Persia The Forgotten Sands (2D side scroller)
Mega Man Powered Up
PATCHWORK HEROES [Fun Simple and Creative game with a story]

Specifically for the action/adventure and RPG genre:

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
MGS: Peace Walker
FF: Dissidia 012 Duodecim
Ys: Seven

All top notch games.

There's also the God of War series and Ratchet and Clank if you are into that (great games in my opinion). Persona 3 Portable is also excellent.

The Warriors is a great game. I have played the PS2 and PSP versions, and just picked it up again last week off the PSN store. I also liked Infected, that was fun. And LittleBigPlanet was very good on the PSP.

If you like strategy RPGs at all, grab Jeanne d'Arc. One of my favorite PSP games. There's also FF Tactics: War of the Lions (free with PS+ right now) and Valkyria Chronicles 2, both strategy RPGs. And the Disgaea re-releases...come to think of it, PSP was an awesome system for strategy RPGs.

The God of War games are awesome.
Patapon 2 is excellent, as well.
Vice City Stories was a great, portable GTA title.

I definitely agree when it comes to the God of War games, I actually just replayed them again recently and they're still pretty great.

I also like the Prince of Persia games. I believe Rival Swords was the one I liked best, but it may have been Revelations. Either way their both pretty good.

And if you're, into them, the Lego games. I really enjoyed the Star Wars one. The humor, paired with appropriately short levels, make for a really nice game to play on the go. Also along those lines I could include Daxter. I picked it up for a buck a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it simplicity. (But maybe being so cheap didn't hurt either :\)

I really liked Loco Roco and Patapon (the originals) and I think there's a cheap bundle with them both. Patchwork Heroes is great too and has a lot of replayability. Crisis Core FF 7 is excellent even if you have a passing knowledge of the FF 7 story. Daxter is a fun platformer and GTA Chinatown Wars is good experience.

I just got a Vita myself. So far I picked up:

Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins - $10
The Red Star - $5 (plays like a cross between a bullet hell shooter and a beat 'em up....fun game)

Definitely planning on picking up Valkyria Chronicles 2 eventually. Loved the first one on PS3.

Sadly, you'll be missing out on some of the PSP's best games as they only exist on UMD or never had their digital release ported. It also seems they've pulled a bunch of digital releases over the years as I can't find them anywhere now.

But anyway, here's what I recommend after having a quick scroll through the list of Vita-compatible PSP games:

Final Fantasy III
The 3rd Birthday
Dissidia 012 (I've only played the first game, but I hear this makes it obsolete)
Riviera: The Promised Land
Jeanne d'Arc
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
WTF: Work Time Fun
Half-Minute Hero
DJ Max Portable 3 (haven't actually played this installment, but the older ones were great -- of course, DJ Max Technika Tune for Vita releases tomorrow, so if you'd rather have a touch-driven rhythm game, get that instead)

I am in the same boat. I ordered the AC3 Liberation Vita bundle, and since I have not played anything Playstation related since PS1, I have missed out on several series. I definitely want to try the God of War games.

I have a couple questions about buying them:

I haven't activated my PS+ trials yet, and I haven't even opened the box for my Vita, but I did create a PSN account. I found God of War Chains of Olympus on the PSN and saw that I could buy it for download on the Vita. However, I couldn't see what the price is. It said I have to buy my PSN credit first. I didn't want to do that yet, I just wanted to find out how much it costs. So how much does Chains of Olympus cost, and is it cheaper if I have PS+ active first?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='patsrule316']I have a couple questions about buying them:

I haven't activated my PS+ trials yet, and I haven't even opened the box for my Vita, but I did create a PSN account. I found God of War Chains of Olympus on the PSN and saw that I could buy it for download on the Vita. However, I couldn't see what the price is. It said I have to buy my PSN credit first. I didn't want to do that yet, I just wanted to find out how much it costs. So how much does Chains of Olympus cost, and is it cheaper if I have PS+ active first?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

:psp: God of War: Chains of Olympus is $19.99 and no it isn't cheaper with PS+ active.

bread's done
Back