CAGcast #305: The Shipwreck Shopping Hotline

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#31 dobedobedo

dobedobedo

Australopithecus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Damn, Wombat, Amazon would not give me $4.99 back when they dropped Battlefield 3 from $29.99 to $25. The rep went away for a long time, and came back and said that is against their policy. So, yeah, contrary to what Cheapy said, Amazon actually kind of sucks for price matching/adjusting. Any given rep is YMMV as Wombat discovered, but in general they do not do that sort of thing any more.

I tried explaining to them that I could just buy the lower priced one and return the other (with Prime it probably wouldn't cost me anything) but they still refused. I thought I'd save us both hassle and them some expense, but no, they wouldn't budge. So, yeah, not happy with Amazon over that...

Had the exact same experience. They wouldn't budge and told me to rebuy the game and refuse the original delivery but I just left it alone.
Posted Image

#32 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Had the exact same experience. They wouldn't budge and told me to rebuy the game and refuse the original delivery but I just left it alone.

For me, the price drop happened prior to delivery. I could still flat out cancel my old order. That may have been the difference.

#33 cheapbrokegamer

cheapbrokegamer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

Great show.

The most intriguing feature for me on the wiiu is playing console games exclusively on the gamepad with the tv turned off. Does anyone know the list of games that support this function? I know Nintendo isn't promoting that feature heavily, but I think that's one of its best uses.

I would like to be entered for the watches.
8-) Head BrokeAss

#34 jr233270

jr233270

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Best ending to a Cagcast ever. Wombat's "fuck you" had me laughing uncontrolably at work.

Also, I'd like a watch.

#35 Royale

Royale

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I really enjoyed the black Friday talk seeing that this was my first year ever braving the crowds (it still sucked). I'm glad it went well for CAGs.

Would really love a code for Half-Minute Hero. It's been on my wishlist for a while, I just haven't pulled the trigger. Also much love to the Lonesteban and Call of Podcast.

#36 Tronny

Tronny

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

What time is it?

#37 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Sure, I'll toss my hat in for a watch bundle.

I believe the reason downloadable titles are treated separately is a matter of resources invested and scale. Games starting out of the gate at $4-15 MSRP are never going to be able to compete with the production values of $50-60 titles which are mass marketed in stores and have X-times a higher budget and much greater exposure. A $10 game which ends in 3 hours may be fine and is expected, but $60 game ending in 3 hours would receive a lower score. It's the main reason CAG review scores are a recommended buy price and not a letter or number grade.

Pitting downloadable titles against retail release tiles is like pitting a junior high school basketball player vs. a college basketball player. The best of the best JHS b ball player could theoretically hold their own against a majority of college players, but it is such a lopsided disadvantage that 90% of the JHS players would get slaughtered.

So I say, keep downloadables in their own categories away from disc releases until you do best overall game and if a downloadable game happens to be better than a retail release, then so be it.

Guardian_owl.png

#38 heyyoeddie

heyyoeddie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

Best ending to a Cagcast ever. Wombat's "fuck you" had me laughing uncontrolably at work.

This.

I would also like the chance at winning a watch.

fs_lastplayed.png

#39 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Cheapy you should just power through episode 5 of Walking Dead. It takes about 2 hours or less to finish. It's pretty much wraps things up.

Half Minute Hero bundle please.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#40 monahawk217

monahawk217

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I thought the wal-mart deals on videogames were great. Got to the store early to get a good spot in the games line and picked up dance central 3 and dishonored. I am really surprised that wii-Us are readily available, there were 2 white ones in my Target. Anyways great episode as always

#41 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Did (almost) all my game and movie shopping via computer and between amazon.com, target.com. bestbuy.com. and newegg.com I got everything I wanted from the BF ads. Though I was really envious that there was no PS3 equivalent to the Microsoft store $10 crazy sale.

Guardian_owl.png

#42 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Show Notes

3:15 Ship@Walmart, Black Friday, and tv's.
24:00 How many CAG's bought the Amazon Vita bundle? Lots
30:00 CAG Giveaways
31:15 New Releases
31:15 ME3 Omega DLC - $15
31:30 Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
32:15 Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
32:30 Sega Fighting games
33:45 Hitman Absolution
37:30 Family Guy
40:45 Walking Dead, & should game of the year awards be separated between retail and DLC
45:00 Rock Bank - Call Me Maybe
48:15 Dishonored
51:00 Xbox 360 sells a bunch over Black Friday
51:45 Bungie concept art for Destiny leaked
54:00 Cheapy's Halo 4 progress
54:45 WiiU
1:14:00 Cagbag
1:14:00 Did the WiiU set the bar for the next gen? Nope.
1:16:15 Easiest Lego game for a 3yr old
1:20:45 Favorite genre and game in the genre

#43 felix559

felix559

Forever Backlogged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Yeah, black friday was pretty awesome this year. I agree with wombat on the PS3; i;ve got a MGS3 version which is crazy loud. i think it's gonna get retired or handed down to my nephews. I've been killing so much time on xcom!

#44 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Wombat, you should never buy jewelry on Black Friday. The stores raise prices on them beforehand, making the price you pay on that day, basically the same price the rest of the year. You can get better deals on jewelry other days of the year. http://lifehacker.co...op-for-bargains

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#45 Kuromimi

Kuromimi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

Awesome show guys! I the last words of this show.
Posted Image

#46 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

I didn't buy much during Black Friday, unfortunately. I would have bought the Vita bundle, but I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a memory card. I didn't hear about that Microsoft sale, so I missed out on that, too. I can see the Wii U doing okay when more games start showing up, but right now, I'm not dying to get one.

I'm up for entering the Half-Minute Hero watch contest.

#47 Viper139

Viper139

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Amazon is trying to bring black friday to europe, good luck to them I say. They had RE6 for £15 which is about $23.

Can i haz watch?
Posted Image Check out my blogs :D

#48 iqubal

iqubal

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

Great show as always. Liked the black friday purchase stories. I also jumped on the dishonored train via amazon : )

The watch would be great for xmas too!!

#49 io

io

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

For me, the price drop happened prior to delivery. I could still flat out cancel my old order. That may have been the difference.

I think me and the other guy did try to do the price match well before delivery. Mine was about 12 hours after my original order. But yes, the difference could be that you still had an option to cancel yours (which is simply what I would have done if I had the chance). But even though they didn't ship until Monday I couldn't cancel mine before that. Yeah, in the end it was no big deal - just wanted to clarify Cheapy's point that Amazon is "good" about that sort of thing. In your case it was easy for them since the order hadn't even entered processing yet, but in general they have a "no price match" policy which actually makes me a little hesitant buying stuff from them when I know there's a chance it might be cheaper - as opposed to some place like Best Buy where I can return or price match with no problem. I made an exception for Battlefield 3 because I missed the lightning deal for it and I thought that was my only chance at $25 - who knew they'd just throw it out there for everyone at that price the next day? :lol: I'm certainly very glad they did the same for Lego Batman 2 which I did pick up for $15 mostly because of the glowing recommendations from you guys. Like you, Wombat, I'm playing through Lego LOTR right now - quite enjoying that. I'm done with the story and just wrapping up all the collectables in a push for 100% completion. It is a relaxing enough game that I think I'll be able to get that done before getting bored of it. I platy it late at night after everyone is asleep and I'm done working - the music alone makes it worth playing.

As for Battlefield 3, just after I contacted Amazon I bought a copy from the MS store for $10 - but it ended up being a PC copy, which is useless to me.

As for the Wii U, while I am rooting hard for it, I can see some of the disappointment Shipwreck has with it. I haven't put that much time into it myself - not even nearly done with NSMB yet. I did buy Scribblenauts for my son's birthday next week. I figure that will be a good game to display on the TV so that we can enter in funny things to entertain my 2 and 5 year-olds. But beyond Cheapy and Wombat not getting one and Shipwreck being underwhelmed by his, I can definitely tell that the same excitement is not there for the Wii U that was there for the Wii. With my launch day Wii, I ended up nearly filling my friend's list with CAGs (including even Cheapy - can't imagine him ever entering friend codes but he did at one point ;)). And remember that required both parties to enter the friend codes on each side. With the Wii U you have usernames and get friend requests that you can simply accept (just like Xbox and PSN). And yet I only have about 15 people from CAG on my Wii U friend's list. So that right there is an indication of much less excitement within the community. However, I still like the machine - it blows the Wii out of the water and I do not think the next PS and Xbox will be all that much more powerful in comparison. At least the Wii U brings something to the table more than a slight bump in graphics. I'm not sure we'll even notice that much difference on the next Sony/MS systems anyway. I'm actually less likely to get those at launch since they will just be slightly juiced up versions of what they already have and I still have tons of current-gen HD games to plow through. With the Wii, it needed HD bad - so that was a no-brainer upgrade IMO.

Edited by io, 01 December 2012 - 01:51 AM.

#50 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

Another great show, thanks guys.

#51 youruglyclone

youruglyclone

Last Man in Userplane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

Gaming wise it was a pretty solid black friday, the rest not so much. wish I got some more MS $10 games, but hey what can you do. I was kinda shocked how quickly they dropped the price on forza horizon.

consider this an entry for the HMH contest?

#52 Sonne

Sonne

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

Just had to interject my own answer to the last question on the show. Even after all this time, I still go back to Left 4 Dead 2, and it's just as fun as the first time I picked it up. A really timeless game.

#53 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

Nice show guys. Good to hear about the WiiU from Ship. I was interested when I played it at PAX. But for now I think I'll hold out. Id love to win the Half Minute Hero bundle please.

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#54 ianoid

ianoid

5me77i.us!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Another couple of things perhaps for the next show:

I think Nintendo underestimated how critical the Wii Sports pack-in was to the Wii's success. I think a Wii-U Sports pack-in would really have improved the Wii-U's chance of widespread success. Do you agree?

And to Shipwreck's point about Wii-U and Pokemon. That could be massive, if done properly. They could just use RFID Pokemon cards, as opposed to figurines. Pokemon is like crack for kids. Pokemon could sell the system. Pokemon and Minecraft.

I would shed a tear if Nintendo ever became like Sega with no hardware and only IP.

And Cheap, I think your thoughts about Rockband 3 are common. There is a long term fan base for that game who keeps buying songs. Blame Activision for killing that market.
Posted Image

#55 io

io

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Hell, I keep buying Rock Band songs when they are on sale but I haven't played the game in a year or so ;). I did pick up Rock Band Blitz when it was half price a week ago or so - have yet to play that too.

#56 Walt Jay

Walt Jay

Gamerscore Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Nice show guys. Cheapy's Hitman impressions give me hope as a long time Hitman fan.

After seeing all the Walmart BF Riot videos, I'm glad I stuck with all online deals with Amazon and MS.
Also, the $10 MS Store game deal has the be the favorite for Deal of the Year.
Posted Image

#57 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

There were a lot of great deals, but I still couldn't bring myself to buy anything other than the God of War Saga. I just can't spend $25 on a game anymore knowing it will drop to $10-$15 in a few months. And somehow I missed the Microsoft sale thinking it was all 360 games...

Put me down for a watch please!

#58 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

I still haven't bought Mass Effect 3 and shared Cheapy's reaction to the $15 price of the Omega DLC but I remember hearing on the Major Nelson podcast that it's huge. Even bigger than all the other DLC combined.

Put me down for the Half-Minute Hero prize pack.

#59 Kostka

Kostka

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Jeez the first time Cheapy screamed when he messed something up, honestly frightened me, had my heart racing for a bit there. Wish I could tell you guys my beats per minute, if only I some sort of time keeping device on my wrist, ya I'd like that.

#60 S0LIDARITY

S0LIDARITY

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

I also took a big advantage of the Xbox points at Target. I bought 5 cards for $50 and they gave me a $10 giftcard back for spending more than $50. (The ad said $50 in home-wares but I wasn't going to question it). It took a lot of willpower for me to not repeat that transaction again and again.

I was disappointed that I missed out on a lot of the Microsoft Store deals. I almost bit on Dragon's Dogma for $40 through Amazon earlier in the week and was so disheartened when I saw that it had sold out at the Microsoft Store. I guess I'll be waiting a few more months to try that one out.

I hope Cheapy got to give some feedback to Microsoft after they sandbagged their Black Friday deals. I'll definitely double check their offerings next year though.

Please consider me for the watch too. Keep up the good work. I really enjoyed the black friday camaraderie between Wombat and Shipwreck, it was a nice change of pace from the usual bombardment between hosts.