Wii U back in stock @ Target

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#181 Demontooth

Demontooth

cheapest ass of them all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

I don't. I would love to see Nintendo's hardware division fail, since it has been nothing but bad gimmicks since the DS.

Yeah, who wouldn't love seeing all those people lose their jobs? You're disgusting.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly

153639.png

Demontooth1.png

#182 Blumpkin

Blumpkin

Has a bad case of diarrhea

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm just a Nintendo hater. After a decade of treating their hardcore gamers like stupid children it'll be great when a year from now the Wii U is as forgotten as the Gamecube was.

#183 oasisboy

oasisboy

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Look, no console is ever going to match the hype of the wii. You had little old ladies playing it in retirement homes and people using it for physical therapy. That's not going to be repeated again. By anyone.

But calling WiiU "disastrous" after 1 week = :roll:

WTF is it with all the mini-Pachters in this thread? (And every nintendo thread?)

You know why old ladies where playing a Wii? Because it was cheap. Kinect is a much better option for that purpose since you actually use your full body as not just your arms but $400 was too much.

People are just expressing their opinions and I am with the "haters". Nintendo has been arrogant for quite some time in the way they handle their business. The Wii made them cocky as hell but the 3ds was their wake up call.
[IMG]http://http://profile.mygamercard.net/conejo%20mexicano[/IMG]

#184 Blumpkin

Blumpkin

Has a bad case of diarrhea

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, who wouldn't love seeing all those people lose their jobs? You're disgusting.

Yeah, because all of those Chinese and Taiwanese factory workers are at the top of my concerns. :roll:

#185 oasisboy

oasisboy

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

How many employees do they have in the USA? 1,000 or less? All their jobs are at the headquarters. It's not like GameStop who actually employs a huge amount of people across the country.
[IMG]http://http://profile.mygamercard.net/conejo%20mexicano[/IMG]

#186 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Problem is a good computer will cost you $1,500.

Problem is also, I don't like PC gaming much & I don't like locking myself away from my family in the room with the PC. Oh I know the reply to that is put it in your living room but I have a family and that isn't something that is fair for them - for me to hog the TV to use the computer for whatever. Plus my 2 year old would break it. I have to unplug all electronics not in active use.

#187 CGlade

CGlade

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

Problem is also, I don't like PC gaming much & I don't like locking myself away from my family in the room with the PC. Oh I know the reply to that is put it in your living room but I have a family and that isn't something that is fair for them - for me to hog the TV to use the computer for whatever. Plus my 2 year old would break it. I have to unplug all electronics not in active use.

That's the exact reason I use a laptop :)

#188 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Man, a lot of butthurt people here whining about Nintendo being arrogant. It seems that you guys are arrogant expecting that Nintendo should make a console just for you.

How is Nintendo arrogant, when it knows full well that it can't match the deep pockets of Microsoft and Sony, so focuses their energy on growing their markets elsewhere and on the strength of their IP? Starting with the Wii, they reoriented themselves as the console for the whole family and it was a successful plan for them.

I also think it is a little silly to make a call either way about this console, but I was able to get my hands on it a few months ago and I really like the hardware. I'll probably pick it up down the line once a killer app comes out for it.

But, I think the next generation of consoles is going to be a tough sell to the consumer, and that includes Nintendo. There are a lot of good games in this extended console cycle and there is a lot of "good enough" in this generation. To be honest, unless other console makers blow me away, the Wii U might be the last console I have an interest in. So much can be done on the PC for cheaper.

Problem is a good computer will cost you $1,500.

This fiction is over a decade old, and it just isn't true anymore. You can build a respectable gaming machine for $500. Even off-the-shelf computers can come close

http://www.tomshardw...lding,3273.html

The advantage of PC gaming is that you can build what you want, get better performance than a console if you choose, and you don't have to worry about a console maker taking away a feature you use. Plus, you can use it for just about anything else other than gaming.
Posted Image

#189 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

How many employees do they have in the USA? 1,000 or less? All their jobs are at the headquarters. It's not like GameStop who actually employs a huge amount of people across the country.

Yeah, because all of those Chinese and Taiwanese factory workers are at the top of my concerns. :roll:

Gotta love this ignorance! We don't live in a global economy or anything. Nobody in the US makes money off nintendo products or anything. :roll:

The haters in these threads crack me up. How bad is your life that you "hate" on a toy company.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#190 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

Man, a lot of butthurt people here whining about Nintendo being arrogant. It seems that you guys are arrogant expecting that Nintendo should make a console just for you.

How is Nintendo arrogant, when it knows full well that it can't match the deep pockets of Microsoft and Sony, so focuses their energy on growing their markets elsewhere and on the strength of their IP? Starting with the Wii, they reoriented themselves as the console for the whole family and it was a successful plan for them.

I also think it is a little silly to make a call either way about this console, but I was able to get my hands on it a few months ago and I really like the hardware. I'll probably pick it up down the line once a killer app comes out for it.

But, I think the next generation of consoles is going to be a tough sell to the consumer, and that includes Nintendo. There are a lot of good games in this extended console cycle and there is a lot of "good enough" in this generation. To be honest, unless other console makers blow me away, the Wii U might be the last console I have an interest in. So much can be done on the PC for cheaper.

This fiction is over a decade old, and it just isn't true anymore. You can build a respectable gaming machine for $500. Even off-the-shelf computers can come close

http://www.tomshardw...lding,3273.html

The advantage of PC gaming is that you can build what you want, get better performance than a console if you choose, and you don't have to worry about a console maker taking away a feature you use. Plus, you can use it for just about anything else other than gaming.

Nintendo isn't as well off as Microsoft, that much is true but they are in a good position compared to Sony. Sony has been bleeding money for years and could easily be in a THQ situation in 5 more years if they don't turn things around. Nintendo reported a loss for the first time in history recently. They have billion in cash. Nintnendo could have made a hell of a console and subsidized it if they wanted.

#191 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

For whoever is interested in more details of my comment above, Sony has lost money each of the last 4 years in a row. They're down to 7 billion cash (that's for the entire company and not just the gaming division).

Nintendo has 14 billion cash.

Microsoft has 66 billion cash.

At this point Sony needs to stop supporting the Vita (which they sell at a loss) and get out of the handheld market all together. It's in decline because of smartphones. Sony needs to stop supporting the PS3 and put out the PS4 next year when MS puts out their next console. It's a mistake to wait another year again and so far it's looking like that may happen. All current games in development for ps3 should be converted to ps4.

I realize my opinions on what Sony should do with the Vita and PS3 will not be popular but they're better off staying competitive and in business than not. I have a PS3 and would love for them to keep supporting it but at some point they need to do what's best for the company and it sure as hell worked with the original Xbox when MS dropped that.

#192 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

There was one Deluxe system (no basics that I saw) at the Target in Saugus, MA, today, if anyone in the area is looking.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#193 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Nintendo isn't as well off as Microsoft, that much is true but they are in a good position compared to Sony. Sony has been bleeding money for years and could easily be in a THQ situation in 5 more years if they don't turn things around. Nintendo reported a loss for the first time in history recently. They have billion in cash. Nintnendo could have made a hell of a console and subsidized it if they wanted.

Point is, tho, that they are in the financial situation they are in because they aren't doing stuff like that. Also, I'd argue that the Wii U is a hell of a console.

For whoever is interested in more details of my comment above, Sony has lost money each of the last 4 years in a row. They're down to 7 billion cash (that's for the entire company and not just the gaming division).

Nintendo has 14 billion cash.

Microsoft has 66 billion cash.

At this point Sony needs to stop supporting the Vita (which they sell at a loss) and get out of the handheld market all together. It's in decline because of smartphones. Sony needs to stop supporting the PS3 and put out the PS4 next year when MS puts out their next console. It's a mistake to wait another year again and so far it's looking like that may happen. All current games in development for ps3 should be converted to ps4.

I realize my opinions on what Sony should do with the Vita and PS3 will not be popular but they're better off staying competitive and in business than not. I have a PS3 and would love for them to keep supporting it but at some point they need to do what's best for the company and it sure as hell worked with the original Xbox when MS dropped that.

So, you think they should dump their investment in the Vita, dump the PS3 (which is finally profitable) and take a loss on developing a new console in a questionable market? Doesn't seem smart.

Personally, I think Sony is the company most likely to get out of the console business, and probably will be the last to bring out a new console.
Posted Image

#194 xRidley

xRidley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Nintendo could disappear off the face of the planet overnight and it wouldn't even make a blip in the world economy. I know some see dozens of great wii-exclusive titles but I'll keep my opinion of 5. Most nintendo games aren't very good these days. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and that about ends the list of good Nintendo games for the Wii.

And if they weren't so cheap on their hardware I would have a bit more interest in them. I mean come on, the Wii Mini? Who the Fuck makes a video game system with 0 network connectivity in 2012. Throw in the fucking WiFi antenna for god's sale, it probably doesn't even cost them $1.50! Nintendo is outrageously stupid with their hardware and I would love to see them go 3rd party, while those 3rd-party exclusives like Xenoblade Chronicles would make their way to Sony/MS/PC anyway.

#195 Byakurai

Byakurai

CAG Busta

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Nintendo could disappear off the face of the planet overnight and it wouldn't even make a blip in the world economy. I know some see dozens of great wii-exclusive titles but I'll keep my opinion of 5. Most nintendo games aren't very good these days. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and that about ends the list of good Nintendo games for the Wii.

And if they weren't so cheap on their hardware I would have a bit more interest in them. I mean come on, the Wii Mini? Who the Fuck makes a video game system with 0 network connectivity in 2012. Throw in the fucking WiFi antenna for god's sale, it probably doesn't even cost them $1.50! Nintendo is outrageously stupid with their hardware and I would love to see them go 3rd party, while those 3rd-party exclusives like Xenoblade Chronicles would make their way to Sony/MS/PC anyway.

Someone's upset case they didn't get black ops 2 for the DS.

#196 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Maybe a crazy thought, but what if when the PS4 finally arrives, they are able to sell it with the Vita as a controller, like a bundle? Like, at that point the price for the Vita will have gone down some, it gives the Vita some life by getting it into more people's hands which in turn helps software sales for it, and it steals Nintendo's thunder by offering a higher quality touchscreen gamepad experience? Just a thought

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#197 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Point is, tho, that they are in the financial situation they are in because they aren't doing stuff like that. Also, I'd argue that the Wii U is a hell of a console.

So, you think they should dump their investment in the Vita, dump the PS3 (which is finally profitable) and take a loss on developing a new console in a questionable market? Doesn't seem smart.

Personally, I think Sony is the company most likely to get out of the console business, and probably will be the last to bring out a new console.

Sony isn't making good business decisions as evidenced by their annual losses. The reason to dump the PS3 is to be competitive. They lost a lot of possible sales by putting out the PS3 a year after the 360. You can't compete if you aren't on the market and most people that got the 360 would have considered the PS3 if it was releases at the same time. Folks that got the 360 in 05 were unlikely to buy a PS3 until after many price drops. The whole "PS3 has no games" thing that happened for the first year or two was because of the install base compared to the 360, they didn't get the machine out soon enough to make ports for it, and it was harder to develop for. Even these days, years later, you look at 2011's goty skyrim and the PS3 port is inferior. The PS4 is reportedly going to have more conventional components so ports will be better and that's another reason to move on. Your argument that putting out a new console would be a mistake because they would lose money on it is a bit off because they have to do it sooner or later and they need to compete ASAP in order to avoid the mistakes that happened this gen.

As for the Vita, yes I think they should abandon the "investment". Any good investor will tell you that you need to take your lumps and move on to prevent further bleeding. At best it will be years before the Vita becomes profitable on an annual sales basis and at this point they'll probably never recover all the costs in development so dump the product line and move on in order to strengthen the company. MS was rumored to put out a handheld Xbox for years but never did it because they had a better sense of the market than Sony.

#198 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Worldwide though, The Wii and PS3 out sold the 360.

#199 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Worldwide though, The Wii and PS3 out sold the 360.

Yep, the Wii sold tons but the PS3 took years to catch up. They need to avoid that next gen. The PS4 isn't going to get ports if its not out and they will be behind for years in terms of install base again. Re-read what I wrote for the reasons to launch when the next Xbox does.

#200 coolrust

coolrust

Kupalizm Mode

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

returning wiiu today in exchange for 2 nabi tablet at gamestop.

#201 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

thanks for sharing? not sure what that has to do with target, lol.

#202 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

If you dont want to spend the money thats understandable, but the Wii U is a really well done system. And Zombi U uses the gamepad amazingly. Favorite game of the holiday season so far. Moreso than Halo 4. Also playing games on just the gamepad while my kids watch tv is awesome

Bottom line it sold 400K in the u.s. over its first week. Its not going anywhere.

I will probably get nextbox next year if those rumors are true. I really dont play my PS3 all that much anymore. I think Sony is losing touch a little bit. Even if the PS4 did hit next year i cant say i would rush out to buy one.

#203 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

Outside of Halo and Gears of War, the xbox just doesnt offer me anything I can't get on PS3.

#204 TommyLove

TommyLove

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Do you think we'll ever get some limited edition Wii-U's? That will be my breaking point to pick one up.
My collection and trade-list:
H: The Legend Of Zelda: Hyrule Historia LE in Mint condition W: equal value in trades or amazon/eBay prices
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=330790
My game plays:
http://www.youtube.com/tommylovehd
Posted Image

#205 panzerjedi

panzerjedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

How about when prices for manufactured goods go up significantly because companies have to pay minimum wages to have them manufactured? Would you be concerned then? ;)

#206 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Any brand new console or handheld is gonna be a hard sell these days, I don't know about anyone else but my entertainment center is full and I have no more HDMI ports left on my TV, and switching inputs constantly is not what I want to be doing just to accomodate a new console, whatever that new console may be.

We are to the point where if you want games, you probably already have enough consoles to play them on. The Wii U definitely isn't targeting the casuals, that is Apple's market now, ask some random people and they won't even know what the Wii U is. Irrelevant but everyone knows what an iPad is, even my grandmother knows what it is and she knew before I got one, heck my grandmother knows what a blackberry is but she doesn't know what the Wii U is.. It has too many buttons and looks too much like a regular video game controller to Target the casuals, those casuals that have the Wii are not interested in upgrading and are satisfied with their Wii and Wii sports and Wii Fit. My mom thought the tablet controller was the whole console just from watching an ad....

I am not sure if the TV to Tablet thing is such a big deal here, and I don't think this feature alone is going to sell systems. Most houses have 3-4 TV's at the least in them, heck my cousin's house has 6 TV's (They are CRT though) so I don' think that one person wanting to watch TV while the other plays video games is even going to be a problem here in the USA. This will be big in Japan though where its more common to only have a single TV in the house. With 32 inch TV's reaching $97 here in the USA most kids already have one in their bedroom.

I am simply not interested in the Vita because of overpriced memory cards, include 32GB of storage so I can actually download a few games without having to pay an extra $100 and I might be interested. But really I have enough handheld devices now, I shouldn't buy any more portable stuff for like 5 years...

#207 rjejr

rjejr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

I was surprised to see 3 Basic Wii U boxes sitting in the case on a busy holiday season Saturday afternoon in my local Target. It took over a year before I saw that many Wii siting there. And as many people as were in there shopping nobody even looked in the Wii U's direction. I blame this partly on Target having the Wi U display along the back wall rather than the middle main aisle but the Wii U boxes are in the middle aisle under the 3DS display, so some people may just see the Wii U display, look around, decide there aren't any U's available, and leave. I blame it partly on Nintendo for making the Basic bundle. There is just too much stuff fin that $349 box to justify buying the $299 box, so people who see the Basic so readily available may just be waiting to purchase the Premium.

I also saw 2 Gamestops that had signs in the window saying "Wii U in stock" but I didn't ask.

I think Nintendo is going to have to stop making the Basic.

#208 Zimmy

Zimmy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

returning wiiu today in exchange for 2 nabi tablet at gamestop.

I grabbed 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before taking a number 2.
Posted Image

#209 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Any brand new console or handheld is gonna be a hard sell these days, I don't know about anyone else but my entertainment center is full and I have no more HDMI ports left on my TV, and switching inputs constantly is not what I want to be doing just to accomodate a new console, whatever that new console may be.

We are to the point where if you want games, you probably already have enough consoles to play them on. The Wii U definitely isn't targeting the casuals, that is Apple's market now, ask some random people and they won't even know what the Wii U is. Irrelevant but everyone knows what an iPad is, even my grandmother knows what it is and she knew before I got one, heck my grandmother knows what a blackberry is but she doesn't know what the Wii U is.. It has too many buttons and looks too much like a regular video game controller to Target the casuals, those casuals that have the Wii are not interested in upgrading and are satisfied with their Wii and Wii sports and Wii Fit. My mom thought the tablet controller was the whole console just from watching an ad....

I am not sure if the TV to Tablet thing is such a big deal here, and I don't think this feature alone is going to sell systems. Most houses have 3-4 TV's at the least in them, heck my cousin's house has 6 TV's (They are CRT though) so I don' think that one person wanting to watch TV while the other plays video games is even going to be a problem here in the USA. This will be big in Japan though where its more common to only have a single TV in the house. With 32 inch TV's reaching $97 here in the USA most kids already have one in their bedroom.

I am simply not interested in the Vita because of overpriced memory cards, include 32GB of storage so I can actually download a few games without having to pay an extra $100 and I might be interested. But really I have enough handheld devices now, I shouldn't buy any more portable stuff for like 5 years...

You should consider giving the Vita a chance. While the memory card prices are high, they aren't exhorbitant, and even smaller cards can hold plenty of games (espcially older digital PSP games and minis).

I have a 16gb card in my Vita right now, and I have 52 games on it; a combination of full blown Vita games (Gravity Rush); smaller Vita downloadables (Sine Mora, PvZ, Super Stardust Delta, Mutant Blobs, Pinball Arcade, Zen Pinball 2, etc.); a ton of PSP games (Metal Slug Anthology, Burnout Legends, Capcom Classics 1&2, Castlevania: Dracula X, both Untold Legends games, several Ys games, and more), and a bunch of PSP Minis and Playstation Mobile games. My 16gb card cost about $40, and given how many games it holds I'm quite happy. I'll eventually get a 32gb card when they come down more in price.

All the older PSP full-sized games and minis look and play great on the Vita with the larger, brighter, richer screen. Overall I'm very happy with the system, its well designed and well worth the investment. IMHO its a great successor to the PSP and a great, solidly-designed handheld.

#210 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Outside of Halo and Gears of War, the xbox just doesnt offer me anything I can't get on PS3.

That's more or less true, just a matter of preference. I also would much rather go for achievements because they build a cumulative score as opposed to trophies which are just specific for each game.

PS3 has some awesome exclusives, but if I HAD to choose, I'd go the XBOX route. Lost Odyssey alone was the best JRPG this generation for me.