Well I screwed up with Steam...is there any hope?

Lazer77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
90 (100%)
I purchased a key from someone on Steam for Hitman Absolution (I believe it was one step up from the vanilla version) for my friend's birthday. I already had Hitman Absolution registered to my account for myself, however it was not the better version, it was the vanilla version.

I gave the key to my friend, and he said it was invalid (which is weird to begin with). So I decided to try to be smart and see if it would register on my account, but I would decline it before installing it. Turns out I was a total idiot and the key worked and it is registered to my account, and I have a pending Hitman Absolution update (I'm guessing its for the better version content).

Is there any way Steam could see that I registered the same game two times in less than 2 weeks to my account, and give me another key for my friend? I hope I didn't waste money trying to be nice :cry:

[quote name='Lazer77']I purchased a key from someone on Steam for Hitman Absolution (I believe it was one step up from the vanilla version) for my friend's birthday. I already had Hitman Absolution registered to my account for myself, however it was not the better version, it was the vanilla version.

I gave the key to my friend, and he said it was invalid (which is weird to begin with). So I decided to try to be smart and see if it would register on my account, but I would decline it before installing it. Turns out I was a total idiot and the key worked and it is registered to my account, and I have a pending Hitman Absolution update (I'm guessing its for the better version content).

Is there any way Steam could see that I registered the same game two times in less than 2 weeks to my account, and give me another key for my friend? I hope I didn't waste money trying to be nice :cry:[/QUOTE]

You can try contacting them. Otherwise, you're pretty much screwed.

[quote name='mac101010']You can try contacting them. Otherwise, you're pretty much screwed.[/QUOTE]

I got the original proof of purchase from greenmangaming.com from the seller, so I have all the evidence. The only problem now is that the additional content is associated with my account, I declined installing it, but its technically something new on my account. I don't want it! I just want the gift for a friend :cry:

just contact their CS and see if you can get the activation resended. If you bought it from greenmangaming, I'd send them a pdf of your receipt or whatever else info they ask. You might see if you can ask them to transfer the key for you.

[quote name='Lazer77']I got the original proof of purchase from greenmangaming.com from the seller, so I have all the evidence. The only problem now is that the additional content is associated with my account, I declined installing it, but its technically something new on my account. I don't want it! I just want the gift for a friend :cry:[/QUOTE]

Well the new stuff is associated with the key, right? I'm sure it'll be listed as a separate entity on their database. Now it's just a matter of communicating the circumstances of your problem since it's a bit complex. I haven't had much luck with Steam in the past, but maybe they've changed. Just be patient with them. Hope you get it sorted out, man.

[quote name='Lazer77']I emailed Steam and GMG, hopefully something is resolved. I can't believe I am this stupid lol.[/QUOTE]

no you really really are.

Why would you contact Green Man Gaming?????!? Like they can fix it.

common sense not so common.

[quote name='retrad']no you really really are.

Why would you contact Green Man Gaming?????!? Like they can fix it.

common sense not so common.[/QUOTE]
Polite much... gheeze. Reason why the PC section is so desolate on this forum.

[quote name='JBaz']Polite much... gheeze. Reason why the PC section is so desolate on this forum.[/QUOTE]

nah the reason why the pc section is dead is because most people only visit the deal section and also the majority of cag users are console gamers as well.

Yeah GMG didn't help at all. Still waiting on Steam to reply. I have held off playing Hitman Absolution with my own key to make sure I can get this key working.

[quote name='Lazer77']Yeah GMG didn't help at all.[/QUOTE]

128-double-facepalm-when-the-fail-is-so-strong-one-facepalm-is-not-enough.jpg

Not trying to be "that guy" but I came here seeking help or advice after a stupid mistake on my end. Not to be criticized.

[quote name='Lazer77']Not trying to be "that guy" but I came here seeking help or advice after a stupid mistake on my end. Not to be criticized.[/QUOTE]

Don't concern yourself with naysayers and haters, bra. Do you and learn from your mistakes. That's all there is to it.

Last edited:
Well just to update, after going back and forth with Steam a few times because the guy clearly did not read what I said to him, he deactivated the code from my account, I gave it to my friend, and it worked out fine! Lesson learned.

[quote name='Lazer77']Well just to update, after going back and forth with Steam a few times because the guy clearly did not read what I said to him, he deactivated the code from my account, I gave it to my friend, and it worked out fine! Lesson learned.[/QUOTE]

glad to hear it!
I was hoping things would work out, we all make mistakes and its nice that Steam was willing to help you out :)

[quote name='hereon']glad to hear it!
I was hoping things would work out, we all make mistakes and its nice that Steam was willing to help you out :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah once the guy seemed to slow down and take my case personally (rather than copying and pasting instructions on how to scan my CD key...), he really helped without asking any questions. I'm sure they're just busy though.

Well that turned out good. Blame your friend though. They were either doing something wrong or whatever if they got an invalid effort. And in the future realize that there is no "testing" on steam with activated keys.

Net time, if you suspect your friend is doing it wrong (in my case, most are) and this is a true IRL friend that would trust you with his steam account, log on to his account from your computer and activate it yourself.

Just hard to find good help these days. Did just the same for a junior high school friend about two weeks ago... and he's a doctor... Apparently, he can't copy and paste worth a damn. Took me 3 mins to do what he couldn't in 30.

bread's done
Back