Photo
- - - - -

FTL (Faster than Light) - $5.99

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#31 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

I've put in about 3 hours today, such a damn fine game.

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#32 lilman

lilman

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Grabbed a copy because of all the recs. Thanks op!

#33 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

This deal is pretty tempting, but FTL seems like a prime candidate for a Humble Bundle. I think I can hold off a little longer.

Seconded. Looks decent but Humble Paynents + cross platform is just screaming will be in a Humble Bundle someday so I can wait.

#34 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

WHAT? This is redeemable on steam?
How? Please someone answer me, if so, I am immediately purchasing from GOG.

HOW! FTLGAME.com! Huzzah. Bought.

God dangit! This is HOW! games should be. DRM Free Linux/Mac/PC && a steam key. For 6$ a total no brainer!
OP Needs to be updated! to point to FTLgame.com, for steam redeemable. Woops. It is there.

Edited by sleeping_lights_on, 06 December 2012 - 01:49 AM.

#35 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

WHAT? This is redeemable on steam?
How? Please someone answer me, if so, I am immediately purchasing from GOG.

HOW! FTLGAME.com! Huzzah. Bought.

God dangit! This is HOW! games should be. DRM Free Linux/Mac/PC && a steam key. For 6$ a total no brainer!
OP Needs to be updated! to point to FTLgame.com, for steam redeemable.

It's already in the OP.

Not a huge discount but the cheapest I've seen since the game launched.

From the Developer: http://www.ftlgame.com/ - Includes Steam key.
From GOG: http://www.gog.com/g...ster_than_light

Posted Image

And nothing from GOG will be a Steam key. Ever.

#36 Cybolt

Cybolt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

Thanks for the notice. I picked one up since I was waiting for a sale. It might be cheaper for the Holiday Steam Sale but it wouldn't be off by that much.

#37 tooshorty6432168

tooshorty6432168

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

/sigh, I put 10 hours into this already. I have literally got nothing done at work. Thanks a bunch!

#38 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

I hate this game but I love this game but dude Fuck this game.
sudo mklove

#39 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

So anyone know if the pay option through Amazon will take money from my trade credit there? I really do not want to be spending cash right now but I will buy this if I can use my Amazon bucks.
Posted Image

#40 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

Looks like the STEAM store updated to the new $5.99 price also.

Soundtrack is on sale also.
Posted Image

#41 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

Looks like the STEAM store updated to the new $5.99 price also.

Soundtrack is on sale also.

Nice!

#42 TheGuardianWolf

TheGuardianWolf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

I've decided to probably bite on this thanks to two things. Feedback here, and the fact that this is a game you can pause and play at your own pace.

I'm the type of guy that prefers turn based over real time because I enjoy having time to think about my actions, and then get it done without frantic clicking. It was actually unexpected, but my favorite strategy game of all time came in the form of an indy title called Frozen Synapse that released quite some time ago... I was good at it... *dang* good. I may have taken a bit more time plotting my movements than most other players, but it was *worth* it, outside of bad luck with rockets and the like, I *dominated*... talking about it's making me want to go play it again now, maybe I should give that DLC a whirl? XD

Aaaaanyway, somehow, somewhat different genres or not, I doubt I'll enjoy this game quite as much as that one, but that's not at all to say it won't be worth it. I enjoy a good challenge, and randomly generated content... this definitely looks pretty awesome.

I do have two questions though:

Is it as challenging as it looks?

And is the soundtrack is worth the couple extra bucks?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm looking forward to trying this game out!

#43 drock

drock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

I do have two questions though:

Is it as challenging as it looks?

And is the soundtrack is worth the couple extra bucks?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm looking forward to trying this game out!

It can be quite difficult. There are two modes Easy and Normal which feel more like Normal and Hard. Expect to die in tragic fashion. Still, it's mostly "fair" with the difficulty, although a some of the random encounters are more like coin flip for success or failure.

It's also very mod-friendly for changing the game to match your expectations.

I really like the soundtrack. It's ambient electronic. Note: there's no real discount for buying the game and the soundtrack together -- you can check the game out for the weekend and see if you dig the soundtrack too.

#44 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

It can be quite difficult. There are two modes Easy and Normal which feel more like Normal and Hard. Expect to die in tragic fashion. Still, it's mostly "fair" with the difficulty, although a some of the random encounters are more like coin flip for success or failure.

Spoiler

#45 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

FTL got nominated for GOTY by IGN.

#46 TheGuardianWolf

TheGuardianWolf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Just figured I'd say for anyone on the fence, I got it, and am not disappointed. :P

#47 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

I got it, it's awesome.

I feel like it is pretty hard though, I don't make it very far even on easy.

Check Out My Podcast

Rival Bits

Video Games, Movies, and TV

https://itunes.apple...d884775591?mt=2

181104.pngblade3d.png

#48 lilman

lilman

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Well worth $6 for anyone on the fence.

Been playing on normal. The farthest I've gone is 5 sectors. I still can't handle being boarded though. One run I was doing great and somehow built up to a crew of 5, then 4 invading mantis wiped me out quick :P

#49 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Yea, on normal I've hit section 4. I thought I was doing awesome.. then I hit an asteroid field with a 3 shielded bad guy in the same part. They killed my mantis, somehow avoided my firebomb, and then my entire crew succumbed to lack of O2. (nothing I could do as everything was on fire and I couldn't get to the O2 to fix it)

Bummer but I'm addicted now.

#50 madcyantist

madcyantist

Impulsive Buyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

bought thanks to the glowing reviews

#51 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

Been playing this a lot lately, which says a lot because I rarely play games anymore. Still can't find a way to handle being boarded effectively by Mantis, especially when they outnumber my crew and I'm being attacked by the ship at the same time.

Venting is not quick enough to kill them, and by the time they are weak enough for my crew to fight them, all my systems are down and I can't recover quick enough - even with upgraded doors. It seems that boarding is a little overpowered, which is a shame because this is a great game otherwise.

#52 donkeydrop

donkeydrop

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

Been playing this a lot lately, which says a lot because I rarely play games anymore. Still can't find a way to handle being boarded effectively by Mantis, especially when they outnumber my crew and I'm being attacked by the ship at the same time.

Venting is not quick enough to kill them, and by the time they are weak enough for my crew to fight them, all my systems are down and I can't recover quick enough - even with upgraded doors. It seems that boarding is a little overpowered, which is a shame because this is a great game otherwise.

The standard way to deal with boarding comes down to how to lure the enemy into your sick bay. If you get them there you will have the advantage even with the standard (non-upgraded) healing rate. Put as many of your crew as possible in the sick bay, then by controlling the doors and venting you will distract the boarders from their objective and make them focus on getting oxygen. Use this to funnel them to the sick bay and slaughter them all.

#53 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

The standard way to deal with boarding comes down to how to lure the enemy into your sick bay. If you get them there you will have the advantage even with the standard (non-upgraded) healing rate. Put as many of your crew as possible in the sick bay, then by controlling the doors and venting you will distract the boarders from their objective and make them focus on getting oxygen. Use this to funnel them to the sick bay and slaughter them all.

Thanks for the advice! I got to the 6th sector and lost because of ignorance on how to deal with boarders. I'll give this a shot.

#54 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

Brilliant. Just used this actually and I'm having a much easier time dealing with the Mantis. I take back what I said, guess I just didn't think it through enough! Thanks.

#55 BingoBrown

BingoBrown

Master Assassin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

I bought this game 4 hours ago. I have played this game for 4 hours. It is 2:30 a.m. Game is good.

#56 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Yea, vent everything and run to medical bay. If you can leave your pilot, I would just to maintain your 10% evade... every little bit helps.

Just like my favorite is invading them with a mantis and a rockman. My PROBLEM is that I always somehow manage to kill them while on board the ship. It's a bummer. I stopped playing Normal because I never made it past 4. :-) I HAD a fire bomb in one game and it was AWESOMESAUCE. I would shoot that at their weaps.. then invade with 2 rockmen... and hilarity ensued.

#57 heffaji

heffaji

knows the score

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Excellent game and well-worth the $6. If you're on the fence, don't worry about it.
Posted Image
That's why they call him the Batman.

#58 TheKbob

TheKbob

Rock On, Duder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Finally bit. How the time just flew by!

Fun fact: Easy is the real normal, Normal is AHMAGHEGAWD IM ON FIRE IT BURNSESSES!
Posted Image

#59 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Got the
Spoiler
. Used the alternate version and ripped through Normal twice.

Spoiler

#60 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

I bought this game 4 hours ago. I have played this game for 4 hours. It is 2:30 a.m. Game is good.

That was my night too lol.