FTL (Faster than Light) - $5.99

drock

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Not a huge discount but the cheapest I've seen since the game launched, 40% off.

From the Developer: http://www.ftlgame.com/ - Includes Steam key. Plus Windows, OS X, and Linux DRM free versions.

Direct from Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/212680 - $5.99
With the soundtrack for $8.38

DEAD - Also at GOG: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/faster_than_light - No Steam key, includes (badass) soundtrack.

931e0dea657e07dddae4bb2c14fb0b7c1a0c23fa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing deal! Just bought this last night for full price after Cheapy's live stream, but I don't even care, it's THAT good. If you haven't picked this up yet, you are missing out big time.

P.S. This sale lasts until December 10th on the developer's website, and until tomorrow on GOG.

Thanks OP! I will pick this one up, I have been wanting to play this game ever since CheapyD did that live stream a couple of weeks ago

Thanks so much for posting this! Been waiting to pick this one up.

Worth noting, if you purchase through the developers website you get a key to redeem on Steam in addition to the DRM-free download.

I highly recommend this game, I received it as a birthday present a few months ago and accidentally stayed up until 3 a.m. the first night playing it.

Paid full price for it and this is easily one of the few games I'd say I would have been comfortable playing twice as much! If you like a game that harkens back to the old days of gaming (where you WILL die more than you are successful, but will learn from every experience) but has surprisingly deep gameplay, get it!!

I backed their Kickstarter and turns out this was probably the best $10 I ever spent on a video game. I've played hundreds and hundreds of games, but this one will forever have a spot in my top 5 all time favorites.

You HAVE to play this game, if you haven't.

If I had known that buying directly from them would have yielded me a native Linux version, I would have. Instead, I go the roundabout way of playing it through Wine =P

[quote name='elessar123']If I had known that buying directly from them would have yielded me a native Linux version, I would have. Instead, I go the roundabout way of playing it through Wine =P[/QUOTE]

I got a free GOG code, so I can't complain, but I definitely wish I had a Linux version. Supposedly GOG is going to add Linux just like they added Mac support recently, so hopefully it won't be long. Luckily the game runs fine under wine.

Just to dissent, I found this game quite boring. The basic strategy is quite simple and almost everything else is random chance. $6 is a bit more than I think it is worth.

[quote name='deviousnaraku']I know the game is fairly new, but anyone think it'll be cheaper during the Steam Holiday sale?[/QUOTE]
Who knows? It wasn't discounted at all for the Autumn sale.

I was waiting for this one to hit 50% but I'll spend the extra dollar to play it now. I've been wanting a little indie experience with my backlog being almost entirely huge ass AAA games.

Man, I've heard about this game but had kind of written it off as not necessarily my thing. However, all of the endorsements in this thread have convinced me otherwise! Thanks for the info TS, will get it from the developer.

I bought this game about a month ago and even though I got out of playing it, it was one of the best games I've played all year.I would like to see them come out with a version for my phone though on Android, seems like some high end phones should be able to handle this.I suppose a tablet would be the better fit though.

I've been watching for any price drop on this. Thanks for posting this, I had seen it on GoG but would prefer a Steam key and hadn't known about the Developer/Humble page. Now I get Linux and Steam... Awesome.

[quote name='KillingMachine']This deal is pretty tempting, but FTL seems like a prime candidate for a Humble Bundle. I think I can hold off a little longer.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. Looks decent but Humble Paynents + cross platform is just screaming will be in a Humble Bundle someday so I can wait.

WHAT? This is redeemable on steam?
How? Please someone answer me, if so, I am immediately purchasing from GOG.

HOW! FTLGAME.com! Huzzah. Bought.

God dangit! This is HOW! games should be. DRM Free Linux/Mac/PC && a steam key. For 6$ a total no brainer!
OP Needs to be updated! to point to FTLgame.com, for steam redeemable. Woops. It is there.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']WHAT? This is redeemable on steam?
How? Please someone answer me, if so, I am immediately purchasing from GOG.

HOW! FTLGAME.com! Huzzah. Bought.

God dangit! This is HOW! games should be. DRM Free Linux/Mac/PC && a steam key. For 6$ a total no brainer!
OP Needs to be updated! to point to FTLgame.com, for steam redeemable.[/QUOTE]

It's already in the OP.

[quote name='drock']Not a huge discount but the cheapest I've seen since the game launched.

From the Developer: http://www.ftlgame.com/ - Includes Steam key.
From GOG: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/faster_than_light

931e0dea657e07dddae4bb2c14fb0b7c1a0c23fa.jpg
[/QUOTE]

And nothing from GOG will be a Steam key. Ever.

Thanks for the notice. I picked one up since I was waiting for a sale. It might be cheaper for the Holiday Steam Sale but it wouldn't be off by that much.

So anyone know if the pay option through Amazon will take money from my trade credit there? I really do not want to be spending cash right now but I will buy this if I can use my Amazon bucks.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Looks like the STEAM store updated to the new $5.99 price also.

Soundtrack is on sale also.[/QUOTE]

Nice!

I've decided to probably bite on this thanks to two things. Feedback here, and the fact that this is a game you can pause and play at your own pace.

I'm the type of guy that prefers turn based over real time because I enjoy having time to think about my actions, and then get it done without frantic clicking. It was actually unexpected, but my favorite strategy game of all time came in the form of an indy title called Frozen Synapse that released quite some time ago... I was good at it... *dang* good. I may have taken a bit more time plotting my movements than most other players, but it was *worth* it, outside of bad luck with rockets and the like, I *dominated*... talking about it's making me want to go play it again now, maybe I should give that DLC a whirl? XD

Aaaaanyway, somehow, somewhat different genres or not, I doubt I'll enjoy this game quite as much as that one, but that's not at all to say it won't be worth it. I enjoy a good challenge, and randomly generated content... this definitely looks pretty awesome.

I do have two questions though:

Is it as challenging as it looks?

And is the soundtrack is worth the couple extra bucks?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm looking forward to trying this game out!

[quote name='TheGuardianWolf']I do have two questions though:

Is it as challenging as it looks?

And is the soundtrack is worth the couple extra bucks?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm looking forward to trying this game out![/QUOTE]
It can be quite difficult. There are two modes Easy and Normal which feel more like Normal and Hard. Expect to die in tragic fashion. Still, it's mostly "fair" with the difficulty, although a some of the random encounters are more like coin flip for success or failure.

It's also very mod-friendly for changing the game to match your expectations.

I really like the soundtrack. It's ambient electronic. Note: there's no real discount for buying the game and the soundtrack together -- you can check the game out for the weekend and see if you dig the soundtrack too.

[quote name='drock']It can be quite difficult. There are two modes Easy and Normal which feel more like Normal and Hard. Expect to die in tragic fashion. Still, it's mostly "fair" with the difficulty, although a some of the random encounters are more like coin flip for success or failure.[/QUOTE]

Boarding makes things easier 90% of the time, especially if they don't have healing rooms. On top of that, you get more money to upgrade if you don't destroy their ship. Only time it's definitely the harder route if the ship is AI-based.

Well worth $6 for anyone on the fence.

Been playing on normal. The farthest I've gone is 5 sectors. I still can't handle being boarded though. One run I was doing great and somehow built up to a crew of 5, then 4 invading mantis wiped me out quick :p

Yea, on normal I've hit section 4. I thought I was doing awesome.. then I hit an asteroid field with a 3 shielded bad guy in the same part. They killed my mantis, somehow avoided my firebomb, and then my entire crew succumbed to lack of O2. (nothing I could do as everything was on fire and I couldn't get to the O2 to fix it)

Bummer but I'm addicted now.

bread's done
Back