Metal Gear Solid HD Collection VITA $19.99 @ Amazon.com

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 jsvalmont

jsvalmont

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

[DEAD] Someone posted about the other versions, but the Vita version is also available on Amazon.com for $19.99. For those who don't know, the Vita version does not include 'Peace Walker' like the standard console versions.

Edited by jsvalmont, 08 December 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#2 LawLessChaoz

LawLessChaoz

Threatened

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Is it important that I play MGS for PS1 before I play these?
Posted Image

#3 Alkalinejoe

Alkalinejoe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

3 (the best IMO) can be played without playing any other games since it's a prequel and takes place before every other game. 2 was my first MGS game and they do pretty well filling you in so you shouldn't have any problems understanding most of it.
Currently playing:
:360: Dragon's Dogma
:ps3: Bioshock Infinite
:wii: The Last Story
:gc: None
:ps2: .hack//Mutation

XBL: Aerogenji
PSN: Aerogambit

#4 mcdaking84

mcdaking84

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

yes

#5 atreyu25

atreyu25

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Not at all, but it would just enhance the experience. Especially near the end of 2

#6 Darker

Darker

Monk of Ivgorod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Preferably you'd want too, to make the experience better but you can still understand what's going on. Here's a timeline

#7 Fresh8142

Fresh8142

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

that's a tempting price...

Guess I'm in for one!

#8 Izod

Izod

CheepLikeASpoder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

I would just because it's still the best in the series. I found MGS3 tedious by comparison.

#9 TommyLove

TommyLove

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Does anyone know if the vita will ever have a accessory to connect to the tv, similar to the psp?
My collection and trade-list:
H: The Legend Of Zelda: Hyrule Historia LE in Mint condition W: equal value in trades or amazon/eBay prices
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=330790
My game plays:
http://www.youtube.com/tommylovehd
Posted Image

#10 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Thanks OP. Combined with a couple other things and used my $5 credit on this.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#11 WNYX585AM

WNYX585AM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Does anyone know if the vita will ever have a accessory to connect to the tv, similar to the psp?

IGN says they haven't even gotten a developer's version of the Vita that has an HDMI out due to availability and cost. This is why their reviews are of someone filming a vita screen. That's pretty pathetic that Sony won't get better equipment to reviewers so their product looks better in review videos, etc. But that's Sony marketing for you.

So it sounds like video out is not a huge priority for Sony and the Vita any time soon...

#12 Kendro

Kendro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Argh. 30 minute train ride (hour roundtrip) worth losing out on Peace Walker? I don't have enough time to play as it is so when I'm home, I like to stick to current gen games.

#13 NedHead

NedHead

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Play MGS for PS1 and then stop. That is/was a legendary game. These others, for me, leave a lot to be desired.

#14 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Anyone that tells you no is a noob. You need to know what went down in shadow moses even before playing snake eater you should know this. Skipping one you''ll also miss out on the famous torture scene that many of us had to get turbo controllers to unlock the bandana. The stealth camo was easy to unlock.

I been playing and beating the first MGS since I'm about 10 years old.

I skipped out on the NES titles till I was older. Which was only because I didn't start gaming till age 5 with Genesis, N64, PS1.

Edited by needler420, 08 December 2012 - 05:57 AM.

needler420.png

#15 silver001

silver001

silvermember

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

Anyone that tells you no is a noob. You need to know what went down in shadow moses even before playing snake eater you should know this.

I skipped out on the NES titles till I was older. Which was only because I didn't start gaming till age 5 with Genesis, N64, PS1.

This is a perfect example of a guy you should not pay attention to.

You don't need to know what went down in mgs 1 because there enough cutscenes w/flashbacks to fill you in.

I know when I played mgs2 first in 2005, I never did not play the first one.

#16 take5giantsteps

take5giantsteps

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

ign says they haven't even gotten a developer's version of the vita that has an hdmi out due to availability and cost. This is why their reviews are of someone filming a vita screen. That's pretty pathetic that sony won't get better equipment to reviewers so their product looks better in review videos, etc. But that's sony marketing for you.

So it sounds like video out is not a huge priority for sony and the vita any time soon...

beyond!

Thanks OP. Grabbed a copy.

#17 excellen

excellen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Anyone that tells you no is a noob. You need to know what went down in shadow moses even before playing snake eater you should know this. Skipping one you''ll also miss out on the famous toture scene that many of us had to get turbo controllers to unlock the bandana. The stealth camo was easy to unlock.

http://puu.sh/1yhuq

#18 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

You don't need to know what went down in mgs 1 because there enough cutscenes w/flashbacks to fill you in.

I kind of agree with this guy. I actually think I like 2 a lot more than I would have if I started them sequentially. That said, it is worth playing 1, but I can't stand crappy 3D so I would hunt down The Twin Snakes and play it on the GCN or Wii. 2 Also has the novel in it and there is also a digital graphic novel on PSN that could get you up to date if you want background, but don't want to play 1 due to some kind of limitation.

As far as this game goes, even lacking the two buttons the controls for the most part work really well. The touch screen does a great job of compensating for a lack of two of the buttons.

Posted Image

#19 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

LMAO you realize the MGS franchise is the most in detail with the story.
?

Telling someone it's ok to skip games in this franchise is like telling them they can watch the last LOTR movies return of the king without having had seen the first two LOTR movies and the reference would catch the up. Just no no no.

MGS is the last game you want to skip on to sequels. Most of MGS4 is cut scenes vs gameplay. This isn't god of war or uncharted where a noob can start at part 3 and be ok.

This is a series where the story connects through all the games unlike any other games.

needler420.png

#20 Jackpot06

Jackpot06

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

LMAO you realize the MGS franchise is the most in detail with the story.
?

Telling someone it's ok to skip games in this franchise is like telling them they can watch the last LOTR movies return of the king without having had seen the first two LOTR movies and the reference would catch the up. Just no no no.

MGS is the last game you want to skip on to sequels. Most of MGS4 is cut scenes vs gameplay. This isn't god of war or uncharted where a noob can start at part 3 and be ok.

This is a series where the story connects through all the games unlike any other games.

Hard to be an elitist when you use watching LOTR in your analogy for understanding a series as a whole instead of reading the books...

Were you even alive when that album on your avatar came out?

On Topic:

I've never played MGS and was wondering about how the game actually plays before I purchase this:

1. Is the gameplay just a vehicle for the story or does it stand on its own?

2. Has the gameplay aged well?

#21 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hard to be an elitist when you use watching LOTR in your analogy for understanding a series as a whole instead of reading the books...

Were you even alive when that album on your avatar came out?

On Topic:

I've never played MGS and was wondering about how the game actually plays before I purchase this:

I was born the same year Nirvana released their first album. Bleach 89 in June-July I forgot which. I only remember because I was born the same year. I know more about the band then the average person probably does. I could name pretty much every song of theirs while only listening to the first few seconds. Same with their songs pre-Nirvana when their band was called fecal matter.

And everything about MGS aged well. The only people that will question that is the same type of people that question black and white movies and they ask if it aged well. Did Citizen kane, Raging bull, Schindler's List age well?

needler420.png

#22 urmomlikesme

urmomlikesme

Random Fart Noise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

I got one. Got the alert from @videogamedeals on twitter.
Posted Image

#23 The Dead Texan

The Dead Texan

Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

The gameplay in MGS2 is great. If you love stealth games, you should like it. The story in MGS2 is fukcing HORRIBLE. Seriously, it's terrible, but the gameplay makes up for it.

MGS3 on the other hand has the perfect balance of gameplay and story. It's, in my opinion, one of the greatest games ever made. The gameplay is true stealth with survival mechanics thrown in. It also has a wealth of weapons and gadgets to have fun with. Also, the story is engaging, the characters are unforgettable, and is as close to perfect as a game can get.

Check some videos online to see if it's for you.

#24 BaboonSqueezer

BaboonSqueezer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hmm, makes me wish I was able to get the $19.99 PS3 version which had 1 extra game.

#25 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

The gameplay in MGS2 is great. If you love stealth games, you should like it. The story in MGS2 is fukcing HORRIBLE. Seriously, it's terrible, but the gameplay makes up for it.

MGS3 on the other hand has the perfect balance of gameplay and story. It's, in my opinion, one of the greatest games ever made. The gameplay is true stealth with survival mechanics thrown in. It also has a wealth of weapons and gadgets to have fun with. Also, the story is engaging, the characters are unforgettable, and is as close to perfect as a game can get.

Check some videos online to see if it's for you.

This is exactly how I felt. 3 was such a perfect balance of awesome set piece battles, stealth, story and WTF moments that it'll always be near the top of my greatest games list.

#26 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Let's say you own both a 3DS and a Vita. Only concerned about Metal Gear Solid 3. Which version would you consider?

#27 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Let's say you own both a 3DS and a Vita. Only concerned about Metal Gear Solid 3. Which version would you consider?

The vita version is better graphic quality, the 3DS has a third dimension. So take which ever thing you prefer.

#28 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

've never played MGS and was wondering about how the game actually plays before I purchase this:

Kojima is often criticized for going overboard with the story elements of MGS games. He initially wanted to be a movie directory and often lifts inspiration directly from films.

IMHO the gameplay has held up very well due to high production values. I don't think many stealth games have managed top its gameplay, perhaps with the exception of the Thief games.

#29 The Dead Texan

The Dead Texan

Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

Vita hands down.

#30 excellen

excellen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

3DS version is a terrible port, lots of framerate issues. The only redeeming quality is that it has a crouch walk option, but there's no reason to play it over the vita port.