Any 3DO gamers??

I haven't played mine in a long time, but Star Control 2 is definitely the best game on the system IMO. Some other ones to check out (that may or may not have aged well) include D&D Slayer, The Horde (also available on Saturn), Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (if you don't already have some other version of it) and Guardian War

Back in my collector days I thought about getting a 3DO but there just wasn't a good enough selection of exclusive games to justify owning one IMO. Most of the better 3DO games (SSF2T, Return Fire, Gex, etc) have similar or superior versions on other platforms.

If that doesn't bother you and you just want to own one for collector purposes then with the addition of the games I listed above there's Space Hulk, Road Rash, Another World, Incredible Machine, The Horde, off the top of my head. And while I've never played it, Star Control 2 seems to be about the only true gem for the system.

I used to have a 3DO from 1996 until 1998. I saw it as the 'poor man's playstation'. I was a poor kid back then. MSRP on the Sony Playstaion was $300 and games were $50 to $60.

This was long before $20 greatest hits and a $50 cap were introduced. I bought my 3DO from Best Buy in late 1996 for $89. Games were being liquidated at $10 apiece until about mid-1997. After that 3DO games were hard to find. This was before Ebay and the age of everyone with access to the Internet. The Internet was only for the wealthy.

All of my friends at the time were playing PC games while most people were playing Playstation. I was the only kid in school with a 3DO that I knew of. Some of my favorite games were:

Doom
The Need for Speed
Road Rash
The Horde
Starblade
Shockwave
Shockwave 2

And of course there was PLENTY of garbage!!

Corpse Killer
Twisted
Immercenary
Ice Breaker
Escape from Monster Manor
Alone in the Dark (game engine was too slow)

Looking back, the only games worth playing on 3DO were ported to either Playstation or Saturn. Compared to the Playstation $300 MSRP or Sega Saturn $400 MSRP, it was a good buy at the time with a few gems available for a fraction of the price everyone else was paying.

[quote name='steve_k']I used to have a 3DO from 1996 until 1998. I saw it as the 'poor man's playstation'. I was a poor kid back then. MSRP on the Sony Playstaion was $300 and games were $50 to $60.
[/QUOTE]

I was doing a lot of drugs back then, but I'm almost certain the 3DO was $699 for the console alone. Not sure why you saw it as the 'poor man's playstation', that makes no sense to me.

:hot::cold::hot::cold:

What are you going to say next? Way of the Warrior controlled awesome? Or maybe Mortal Kombat was a poor man's Way of the Warrior?
I played that game all the time, the White Zombie soundtrack made everything better.

wotw5.jpg

[quote name='king9x']I was doing a lot of drugs back then, but I'm almost certain the 3DO was $699 for the console alone. Not sure why you saw it as the 'poor man's playstation', that makes no sense to me.

What are you going to say next? Way of the Warrior controlled awesome? Or maybe Mortal Kombat was a poor man's Way of the Warrior?
I played that game all the time, the White Zombie soundtrack made everything better.

[/QUOTE]

The 3DO was expensive at launch, but prices fell sharply after 1996. I bought my 3DO at Best Buy for $89 in late 1996 as the system was being discontinued. The Sony Playstation was $300 at the time. I could not afford a $300 console, but I could afford an $89 console.

At lanuch, the 3DO was anything but a poor man's console. However, after the console was discontinued and retaliers were liquidating the 3DO while Playstation was in it's infancy stage, the 3DO was considerably cheaper than the Playstation. When the 3DO reached a bottom price of $89, the Sony Playstation was $300 and Sega Saturn were $400. An $89 3DO that played many Playstation and Saturn games (Gex, Road Rash, Need for Speed, and more) was a cheap way to play many of the games selling for $50 to $60 on Playstation or Saturn. By this time, it was a 'poor man's Playstation'.

The 3DO was $699 at launch, but it did not stay $699 for long. After the Playstation and Saturn hit the scene, prices dropped like a rock.

I have a 3DO, but I haven't played it in quite some time. It seems like most people fell in love with Gex and that was the only game they were interested in, honestly. That's pretty sad, because there was some other good games out there.

Someday I need to get one along with stuff like Samurai Shodown (yeah I have a zillion ports on other systems already) and maybe that one random JRPG that is super expensive for it.

Once I have a house with a big ass finished basement I'll build my nerd cave.

what was that 3d0 game that was like a gameshow? i remember playing a demo of it in a store when i was a kid and always wanted to figure out what it was lol

When our house gets finished, Im going to want a nice oval table for the gameroom.

Id build it myself, but youll notice I used the word nice above.

Any DFW area table builders looking for work?

One day when I have a game room; the 3DO will be very playable next to the CD-i.

My g/f's brother bought a 3DO from a local game shop (Games4Less) for $60 and it came with Star Wars, Street Fighter and some other From Hell?

Some limited games, but some of them were actually fun.

I still have mine (FZ-1), picked it up cheap around 1997. Loved Return Fire, Need for Speed, Quarantine and Incredible Machine.

I got one not too long ago (maybe 1-2 years) at a rummage sale, the guy just wanted to clear stuff out so if he gave me a system, a few games, and a box full of Sega Saturn games for about 10 bucks, tried everything out and it was pretty cool. But the only games I had were a theme park tycoon game, a dungeons and dragons game, and a game called D that was disc only, so I haven't put much time in it, but I do look for games for it whenever I get the chance.

bread's done
Back