• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

http://www.amazon.co...ocId=1000886021

Today only, save $50 on a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" when you use the promotional code FIREHD89 at checkout. Offer good while supplies last.

Terms and Conditions:
Spoiler

Prices before the discount:
Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
16 GB w/ Special Offers $299
16 GB w/o SO $314
32 GB w/ SO $369
32 GB w/o SO $384

Kindle Fire HD 8.9" with 4G LTE Wireless
32 GB w/ SO $499
32 GB w/o SO $514
64 GB w/ SO $599
64 GB w/o SO $614

Edited by Sway, 11 December 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#2 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Anyone chime in if this is worth it? Also, how bad are the "special offers" for 15 extra you might as well get it without it, right?

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#3 MySaturdaySelf

MySaturdaySelf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

Good for those who get the 10% off coupon

#4 illmatic21

illmatic21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

Awesome. I was debating if I should get the 7" HD or the 8.9 for my parents for Christmas. This solves that problem. Thanks OP.

#5 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

pass too bad it wasnt the 7 inch for 149
WOOOO I STINK

#6 NuclearPorkchop

NuclearPorkchop

Herc Mondo's Cousin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

I totally read that as "$50 kindle fire HD" :(

Currently Playing:
:ps3: MGS Peace Walker HD

:360: n/a
:pc: Arkham Asylum; Hawken; Whatever Playfire tells me to play.

Add me on Steam, we'll play games and stuff:

#7 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

I totally read that as "$50 kindle fire HD" :(

I gotta go to bed, cuz I thought it said the same thing

#8 JediDeath

JediDeath

Casual Fribsday 2024

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Man, sometimes I hate living in California, $26 for tax and recycling...

#9 Peanut932

Peanut932

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Me too. I thought it was $50 total instead of $50 off.

#10 KrAzY3

KrAzY3

The 3 is silent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Man, sometimes I hate living in California, $26 for tax and recycling...

Just sometimes?

#11 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

i wonder if all of these fire sales are going on cause a news report a few weeks back said your going to see tablets like these for 50 or under come summer (cause all of the ads you can get will force the price down)

they even said the apple ones could fall under 150

be interesting to see
WOOOO I STINK

#12 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

i wonder if all of these fire sales are going on cause a news report a few weeks back said your going to see tablets like these for 50 or under come summer (cause all of the ads you can get will force the price down)

they even said the apple ones could fall under 150

be interesting to see

I think it could be because they are not selling as good as their 7" tablet. I bought a 7" HD and love it. The size is just perfect so I bought the 8.9" thinking it would be even better but it's not. It's not that good for web browsing. Videos do look good, some games do and reading books look awesome. That was my favorite part, using to read.

So i'm sending it back. I'm actually thinking of getting an iPad mini. I think the smaller tablets are becoming more popular because of their size.

#13 rjejr

rjejr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

I think it could be because they are not selling as good as their 7" tablet. I bought a 7" HD and love it. The size is just perfect so I bought the 8.9" thinking it would be even better but it's not. It's not that good for web browsing. Videos do look good, some games do and reading books look awesome. That was my favorite part, using to read.

So i'm sending it back. I'm actually thinking of getting an iPad mini. I think the smaller tablets are becoming more popular because of their size.

I agree. People who want the bigger tablet are going to spend a little more and get an iPad 2 or a lot more and get a new-er iPad. I do think Amazon and Google have a chance w/ the 7" models though, that lame screen over-priced mini doesn't look all that appealing at the moment. Maybe in the spring w/ a price drop and Retina display.

#14 styl3s

styl3s

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

8.9 is better for comic book readers.

I love my 8.9 Kindle, well worth the $.

#15 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

8.9 is better for comic book readers.

I love my 8.9 Kindle, well worth the $.

Agreed, I enjoyed the 8.9 for reading but for everything else the 7" HD is the way to go. I also found the battery life to be better on the 7" HD as well.

#16 venturin

venturin

SalmonChantedEvening

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Since I bought my 7" Kindle Fire HD it has become a pleasurable part of my everyday life. Now that the cold weather is here I love staying in my warm, comfy bed just a little longer in the mornings and checking my emails, Amazon deal of the day, and some other online stuff with my Kindle.

Netflix works great, it's so cool to be able to watch a movie anywhere in my house. I think it's been a terrific value. At first it seems YouTube wouldn't work most of the time, but there was a recent update and now YouTube seems to be working ok.

And of course, if you love to read like I do, the Kindle is absolutely fantastic for that purpose.

-V-
Posted Image

#17 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

As stupid as this sounds I ordered one and got my $50 discount. The slightly over sized display is just perfect for reading and i've been doing a lot of that especially when I found a website that links legally free downloadable books from Amazon.

The new KF-HD's have this new feature where you can change the background color which makes reading books even more amazing. I was tempted to buy a Kindle Paperwhite but after using the new Kindle Fire HD's I prefer those over the Paperwhite's.

#18 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Anyone chime in if this is worth it? Also, how bad are the "special offers" for 15 extra you might as well get it without it, right?

It isn't locked. you can turn them off for $15 at any point I believe - so i would just see if it bothers you or not.

#19 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

I don't know how the special offers work on the Fire line - on the old Kindle readers it's just screensaver ads that don't get in the way and sometimes give you coupons on Amazon stuff.

I considered buying one for my mom, but she's pretty into the iOS ecosystem at this point, and I'm not sure it makes sense to switch.
Posted Image

#20 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

I'm thinking about getting the 7'' one from Gamestop with all my credit. I'll be using this mostly for reading - can anybody tell me if the 7'' is sufficient for this or does it strain the eyes (as opposed to the larger Kindle).

#21 chriscolbert

chriscolbert

Push Me, Pull Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'm thinking about getting the 7'' one from Gamestop with all my credit. I'll be using this mostly for reading - can anybody tell me if the 7'' is sufficient for this or does it strain the eyes (as opposed to the larger Kindle).

I just got the 7" from Gamestop today using credit since they're offering the free $25 Amazon card. It's for my wife but I hear that there are multiple screen/display options that reduce strain.

#22 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

I just got the 7" from Gamestop today using credit since they're offering the free $25 Amazon card. It's for my wife but I hear that there are multiple screen/display options that reduce strain.

any anyone confirm Gamestop only charged 29.99 for a 2 year replacement on these

i was told that today but they said they did not have any in stock i had to pay the entire price to get one

i call Bs since amazon wants i think 80 and best buy is 70 i think

if i could get a fire with 2 year replacment for 230 wtih 25 gift card i do it
WOOOO I STINK

#23 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

any anyone confirm Gamestop only charged 29.99 for a 2 year replacement on these

i was told that today but they said they did not have any in stock i had to pay the entire price to get one

i call Bs since amazon wants i think 80 and best buy is 70 i think

if i could get a fire with 2 year replacment for 230 wtih 25 gift card i do it

I think a Square warranty is pretty cheap. I would check their prices. :bouncy:

#24 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

So...Nexus 7 for $199 or the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" for $250?

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#25 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

So...Nexus 7 for $199 or the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" for $250?

Nexus 7

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#26 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Nexus 7

That's what I'm leaning towards. I've heard that due to the *slightly* lower resolution on the Nexus 7, the Tegra 3 compliments the tablet quite well. That, plus not being locked to Amazon's services exclusively, PLUS the fact that the Nexus 7 is pretty much guaranteed to be getting the latest flavor(s) of Android...yeah, I think I'll ask the wife for this for Christmas.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#27 striker64

striker64

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

After some waffling, I finally decided to bite on this. Gonna sell my first-gen Fire to Gamestop.

I went between this and a Nexus 7, but the fact that I have Prime, the bigger screen, and HDMI out did it for me.

#28 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

That's what I'm leaning towards. I've heard that due to the *slightly* lower resolution on the Nexus 7, the Tegra 3 compliments the tablet quite well. That, plus not being locked to Amazon's services exclusively, PLUS the fact that the Nexus 7 is pretty much guaranteed to be getting the latest flavor(s) of Android...yeah, I think I'll ask the wife for this for Christmas.

What do you mean "locked" to Amazon? How bad is that? Are the apps garbage compared to Google, can you change it at all?

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#29 Trygle12

Trygle12

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

They said that the Google Nexus One was gonna get all the latest flavors of Android. We got it nearly dead last.

I would go for the 8.9 Tablet, It's going to be easily rootable and get vanilla firmware sooner or later.

#30 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

What do you mean "locked" to Amazon? How bad is that? Are the apps garbage compared to Google, can you change it at all?

1) You can side load Google Play, takes rooting, pretty easy to do.

2) I've found apps to be better quality for the Kindle Fire when they are designed for the Kindle Fire. Those you usually see as HD apps or Kindle Fire apps.