*REVISED* ALL PURPOSE "lurk-free" FREE CODE GIVEAWAY THREAD!!!

FidelityNy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
Lately we have had more people lurking the free codes dropped throughout a number of the code drop threads. To help better the community and resolve this problem I call on all CAG's to join me.

This is an ALL PURPOSE free code giveaway thread. I'm using this thread for the time being to try and get every user to adopt this method of giving away free codes.

GUIDELINES

• Write the codes you have to give away including the platform or service the code is for.
  • Let the person that wants it quote your post.
  • Check that persons activity to see if they've contributed around CAG, if they have then give them the code.
  • Remind that person to reply in this thread that they got the code, and write "GONE" next to your original post once you've already given the code away.

For DLC content it would be best to hold a little quiz for the fans. This could help make sure that someone who is receiving the code is going to put it to use.

I'll be kicking the thread off by giving away a free digital copy of Saints Row 2 for PS3. Please send me a message titled "SAINTS ROW 2". Once this thread has reached a couple of pages of activity I'll count how many messages I have regarding Saints Row 2, and I'll randomly select a number. Your number is given to you in the order I received your messages, first message being 1, and so on.
EDIT: You must be a contributing member, and have activity dating before I posted this thread to receive the game.

If you have any suggestions to improve this method please send me a message titled "Suggestions". THANK YOU. Have fun CAG's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finnaly, I was getting realy fed up with lurkers. I mean if someone is nice enough to give a code away the least you could do is say "Thank you" and let everyone else know it's taken. Thank's for making this ill be showing up often.

Btw I can't send you any messages because you have gone over the amount that you can receive. You will need to erase some of the old ones.

The entire "check the game list" thing seems like a giant waste of time for all parties involved. I can probably send you a message and then add the game to my list before you can see that you have a message, open the message, and then get to my collection list.

Also seems like it'd be much easier for code givers to just go "I have a code for X, first reply to this post gets it". Versus PM's, this allows everyone to see who has asked for the code, so inboxes don't explode and people can ignore free code whores.

Agree with Salamando3000. First to quote will get the code pm to them. No need to check game list... I haven't updated mine in a long time :p Maybe check # of posts to see if it's an active CAG.

[quote name='Salamando3000']The entire "check the game list" thing seems like a giant waste of time for all parties involved. I can probably send you a message and then add the game to my list before you can see that you have a message, open the message, and then get to my collection list.

Also seems like it'd be much easier for code givers to just go "I have a code for X, first reply to this post gets it". Versus PM's, this allows everyone to see who has asked for the code, so inboxes don't explode and people can ignore free code whores.[/QUOTE]

Free codes are taken within a minute or two. If someone is going out of their way to add the game to their game list then they're not getting the code effortlessly. The point here is to stop people from "lurking", dropping in on the thread and grabbing the code before anyone else even has a chance and running with it, whether it be members or guests visiting the forum. You're obviously not thinking it through. The people grabbing codes are doing it without any barriers, with this method those users are less likely to go through all of the trouble, while trying to race for the code when it's something they don't even need.

A "first to reply to this post gets it" method would also be too easy. The things outlined in this thread aren't much to ask from both parties, and if it is then simply stay on the sidelines and don't participate.

Personally I think somehow people have constructed bots that just browse and grab codes whenever they are alerted.

Another way to possibly slow down lurkers, is that we could create a section that is MEMBERS only, so you would have to be logged in to even view it, and keep guests locked out.

[quote name='exceed19']Personally I think somehow people have constructed bots that just browse and grab codes whenever they are alerted.

Another way to possibly slow down lurkers, is that we could create a section that is MEMBERS only, so you would have to be logged in to even view it, and keep guests locked out.[/QUOTE]

we already have code drop groups on here for members only, but members lurk too lol

[quote name='FidelityNy']Free codes are taken within a minute or two. If someone is going out of their way to add the game to their game list then they're not getting the code effortlessly. The point here is to stop people from "lurking", dropping in on the thread and grabbing the code before anyone else even has a chance and running with it, whether it be members or guests visiting the forum. You're obviously not thinking it through. The people grabbing codes are doing it without any barriers, with this method those users are less likely to go through all of the trouble, while trying to race for the code when it's something they don't even need.

A "first to reply to this post gets it" method would also be too easy. The things outlined in this thread aren't much to ask from both parties, and if it is then simply stay on the sidelines and don't participate.[/QUOTE]

...what? "First to reply..." is too easy? I consider a code Lurked if some random schmuck comes and redeems a code without so much as a "took this" or "thanks". Whether First Post or PM's are used, the code giver is still PM'ing the code recipient. They'll always know who gets the code.

As far as I care, code givers can put whatever restrictions on a code giveaway that they want...Member since before 2012, 1000 posts min, whatever. As long as it means something. The game collection thing though...I can add a game to my collection in seconds. That's not much of a barrier to overcome.

I agree with Salamando3000. You're not going to stop the lurking. All you might be doing is slowing them down. People will wait for a post as normal, quickly add that game to their list then PM the person for the code. Plus if I have a code to drop, I'm not going to go through the extra step of checking game list of the people who PM'd me. Especially if the code is for some insignificant avatar item or skin.

Some Options:

You can use the members code drop. There will still be lurking, but at least the person that got the code is a member.

Give it to the first to quote is another way. You will still have lurking but we will know who got the code.

Just keep the things the same and hope that you are lucky enough to grab a free code. That's the whole point of the free code drop. First come first serve. Just like getting in on all the Black Friday deals recently.

This all sounds a bit too much. If anyone is that concerned about a code getting snatched up without acknowledgement, just PM the code to whoever posts first. Some have tons to drop and don't want to be bugged with over-complicating things.

[quote name='DurbanBrown']Never ask for a pm... They will never stop[/QUOTE]

They never stop even when we don't ask for PMs. So tired of the 'hey I saw you give something out so give me something' PMs.

This is a great idea, I think the best way to go about this without getting a bazillion pm's because you will would be to use a disposable email service like yopmail.

Something in the terms like, "Hey I have a Mass Effect code, email me at [email protected]," and then corrispond accordingly.

It would be nice if everyone giving their opinions deleted their responses. The thread isn't suppose to be for discussion. You're not giving a code away? You're not responding that you got a code? Then don't post. It'll help get this back on topic. Let the people that want to actually use this thread use it. Thanks.

We don't need 4 threads for dropping codes. This thread is pointless. If people cared about their codes going into the hands of lurkers then they do the pm method or first to respond method. I personally rather do little contests for my codes, but thats just me.

Well lets blow this thread up lol
I got the Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War and the Red Faction: Armageddon DLC from the humble bundle that I'm never gonna touch so I'll give them away to the first person that PMs me. Edit : GONE, fast too =)
___

Honestly, when I drop a code, I don't want people to waste their time if the code has been jacked. That being said, I kinda don't want to use the PMs system when I can just drop a code. Iono haha

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='spiritdragon101']Well lets blow this thread up lol
I got the Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War and the Red Faction: Armageddon DLC from the humble bundle that I'm never gonna touch so I'll give them away to the first person that PMs me.
___

Honestly, when I drop a code, I don't want people to waste their time if the code has been jacked. That being said, I kinda don't want to use the PMs system when I can just drop a code. Iono haha[/QUOTE]

PM'ed you!

[quote name='spiritdragon101']Well lets blow this thread up lol
I got the Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War and the Red Faction: Armageddon DLC from the humble bundle that I'm never gonna touch so I'll give them away to the first person that PMs me. Edit : GONE, fast too =)
[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir.
I can't believe good things happen to me sometimes.

I think the easiest way to check if a person has a game or not would be to have them post their Xbox Gamertag or PS3 Gamertag. I know for Xbox it's as simple as comparing games with someone to see if they have played a certain game or looking at activity. PS3 I'm not so sure about as I hardly use mine for more than watching Blu-ray movies. I've got way too many Xbox 360 games to list on a game list. I've played upwards of a 155 games, and I'm sitting here looking at 10 I haven't even put in the xbox to play for the first time yet.

I think it's a good idea to do something different. Do I think we need a whole new thread for it. No. We just need to have a blanket policy about code drops to avoid lurkers. Side note:(I originally found this site originally doing a google search for xbox codes. Threads show up without even opening the site if there is a code on it.) If you don't follow the policy you can't complain about lurkers. It's that simple. I think the first to post is the best option. Keeps PM inbox empty and keeps everyone from flooding someone's inbox because no one has replied they got the code.

[quote name='MrPiggles']This thread really seems unnecessary and a bit too much.[/QUOTE]

I thought I was the only one.

This isn't a new idea, it's been done before, and quite a bit might I add. Not everyone wants to take the time to give codes away using this method, though. It's much easier just to post a code, which is why some people decide to take that route.

Also, the idea of one thread for all platforms? No thanks. ;)

There's honestly no way to stop lurking on this site. We have over 350,000 registered members who can just as easily PM you without posting a thanks, and anyone who doesn't have an account yet will make one.

The only real way to do this is to hold contests where registered members have to answer questions for everything. That would be excessive, but it's the only honest way to prevent lurking.

I tend not to like lurkers, so I usually take a few seconds to mix the code up and put it in an EMAIL tag so members have to quote me to see it.

[quote name='GinsuVictim']Meh, I always just say PM me if you want the code. As long as it's a member and not a lurker, that's all I care about.[/QUOTE]

Pmed you

Yeah, most of the codes I give away are stuff I ended up with doubles or more thanks to contests (Kinect prop from Gamestop for example.) I'm not going to ask people to PM me as I don't want my inbox flooded. Asking for a quote isn't bad, but I prefer just doing clues with missing letters. I've noticed far more often people take the time to respond to say they got it as there's the sense of accomplishment to most for figuring them out.

But for valuable stuff like season passes, map packs, etc. I'm all for something like this. Even if running a contest or using a generator takes a small bit of effort, it is nice to know someone is actually using it and not just redeeming stuff they'll never use.

Thanks to the awesome code drop from spiritdragon101, it is my time to drop a code.

First person who quote this will get LBP2/LBP-Karting for Vita and PS3 best tester vest.

I know this isn't much, but it's a start.
I got this for participating the best test for LBP-Karting.

[quote name='runs80']Thanks to the awesome code drop from spiritdragon101, it is my time to drop a code.

First person who quote this will get LBP2/LBP-Karting for Vita and PS3 best tester vest.

I got this for participating the best test for LBP-Karting.[/QUOTE]

hello

[quote name='runs80']Thanks to the awesome code drop from spiritdragon101, it is my time to drop a code.

I got this for participating the best test for LBP-Karting.[/QUOTE]

Quote like that? (btw, I think I drop this, I'm not even sure it's something I can acutally use XD)

skeptical but it may work, people have said stuff like this before but no one sticks to it, personal i dont care if lurkers get codes as long as they use them

yay...yet another thread im going to constantly watch now =[

[quote name='XRey360']Quote like that? (btw, I think I drop this, I'm not even sure it's something I can acutally use XD)[/QUOTE]

Yeap Just like that.
PM sent.

[quote name='XRey360']Quote like that? (btw, I think I drop this, I'm not even sure it's something I can acutally use XD)[/QUOTE]

Too bad, sir.
Code already sent to you.
You are at will to use it or give it away.

[quote name='Salamando3000']The entire "check the game list" thing seems like a giant waste of time for all parties involved. I can probably send you a message and then add the game to my list before you can see that you have a message, open the message, and then get to my collection list.

Also seems like it'd be much easier for code givers to just go "I have a code for X, first reply to this post gets it". Versus PM's, this allows everyone to see who has asked for the code, so inboxes don't explode and people can ignore free code whores.[/QUOTE]
Also most of us has a huge backlog... I will just give to first person to pm and edit post who got it and gone. easy and more fair.

[quote name='pyoobez']Yeah, most of the codes I give away are stuff I ended up with doubles or more thanks to contests (Kinect prop from Gamestop for example.) I'm not going to ask people to PM me as I don't want my inbox flooded. Asking for a quote isn't bad, but I prefer just doing clues with missing letters. I've noticed far more often people take the time to respond to say they got it as there's the sense of accomplishment to most for figuring them out.

But for valuable stuff like season passes, map packs, etc. I'm all for something like this. Even if running a contest or using a generator takes a small bit of effort, it is nice to know someone is actually using it and not just redeeming stuff they'll never use.[/QUOTE]
Not saying i am dumb but a lot of people are not good at puzzles so sucks for most people. Yay smart kids rule the world of codes haha :bouncy::bouncy:

bread's done
Back