Official VGFive Thread

taintedzodiac

CAGiversary!
Hi everyone,

By popular request, I've created this thread as the official place to discuss game trading on http://www.vgfive.com on CAG.

As of April, 2013, the site has been acquired by Goozex (http://www.goozex.com) and is operated by that organization.

As of early 2014, the site is gone due to a lack of payment of the bills by the current owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just signed up, I missed using Goozex. Hopefully this site gets just as popular.

I'm sure Goozex was popular because they offered a sign up bonus. I think it was 100 points and 1 token, something like that. More people'll be inclined to sign up. :applause:

CAG trading is a one-for-one deal, whereas VGFive users request a single game and may not have other games to trade for that one. Tokens/credits are used instead of another game.

I searched a few games and I'm seeing basically what I saw at Goozex: a lot of active requests, and a lot of on hold availability.

I'm guessing people probably aren't too anxious for another Goozex, especially if they had a lot of points still tied up at Goozex.

[quote name='style_unseen']
I'm sure Goozex was popular because they offered a sign up bonus. I think it was 100 points and 1 token, something like that. More people'll be inclined to sign up. :applause:[/QUOTE]

There was a lot of scamming going on based around that promotion. People would create multiple accounts, buy 10 tokens, create fake trades on old 100 point games in order to funnel the points into a single account, and then get a new-ish game before anyone noticed. That's why I'm not currently running free credits just for signing up.

There may be token promos at some point, but I'm not planning any additional promotions in 2012. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

[quote name='shierdya']
How about referrals (existing users get tokens when they refer new users)?[/QUOTE]

I'm not planning any referral bonuses at the moment, although I haven't ruled them out. Right now it's all about getting sustainable trading.

[quote name='Vinny']I searched a few games and I'm seeing basically what I saw at Goozex: a lot of active requests, and a lot of on hold availability.

I'm guessing people probably aren't too anxious for another Goozex, especially if they had a lot of points still tied up at Goozex.[/QUOTE]

Trading has only been active for about four days now, so many people are still testing the water and have credits tied up in the initial wave of trades. Feedback is rolling in as of today (seven very fast shipments already reported as received), so actual evidence of the system working will hopefully lead to more people putting their games into the system.

If you're interested, you can track recent trades and feedback at http://www.vgfive.com/transactions

[quote name='Vinny']I searched a few games and I'm seeing basically what I saw at Goozex: a lot of active requests, and a lot of on hold availability.

I'm guessing people probably aren't too anxious for another Goozex, especially if they had a lot of points still tied up at Goozex.[/QUOTE]

It's not another Goozex. It's better then Goozex. Read what TZ said again:

[quote name='taintedzodiac']I've aimed to keep the overhead costs low, keep the currency from inflating/deflating, and focus on supply and demand being the primary driver of game values. I believe that the community and overall value is more important than squeezing a few more dollars of revenue, which is why I don't sell credits directly and kept tokens to $1.[/QUOTE]

TZ - I'm all in. Thx for making a great trading site!

[quote name='shieryda']CAG trading is a one-for-one deal, whereas VGFive users request a single game and may not have other games to trade for that one. Tokens/credits are used instead of another game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think this option is more convenient if you only play a few niche titles every year. If you have an enormous tradelist then CAG is prolly the better way to go.

I'll check this out next year, for sure. Still getting a few trades on Goozex (Dishonored arrived today), so not ready to throw the towel in completely. But will definitely be scouring for options. VGFive is at the top of my list.

Some of those values look pretty messed up.
girl.jpg

beaty.jpg

I'll put what I said in the goozex thread here:

[quote name='antlp89']I'm also going to transition most, if not all of my trading from goozex to VGFive.

I've been a goozex trader for almost 5 years and have over 1000 combined trades so I definitely got my money's worth out of the website.

However with new management under goozex and the fact that there doesn't seem to be any changes in the near future (hasn't been any change for the past 1-2 years) makes this decision a lot easier.

With VGFive trading underway as of Friday, I've already been matched for 4 games to be sent to me and a 5th pending trade. Granted, I did sign up with the site early and got good positions on multiple games, but it is nice to have a game trading website that is actually working as advertised. I will be sure to return the favor and send games out when I am matched with other users.

The thing I love most about VGFive is how community friendly the owner is (he was a goozex trader himself). There are forums which the site owner responds to questions and takes feedback. I think open communication with your trading community is one of the most important things in a trading website.

For example, one huge thing VGFive offers over goozex is that fact that you can list games as disk + case if you don't have the manual. With goozex you were forced to list anything without the manual as "disk only". It's something that was requested by the community for years on goozex with no response back. On VGFive the option was implemented on day 1.

Also: Goozex trade tokens cost $2 for new users. VGFive has trade tokens priced at $1 (less than that if you buy bigger bundles).

Really glad to see I have a website that could potentially be goozex 2.0. A couple years back goozex + CAG was the best combo for videogame deals out there.[/QUOTE]

It's great to see a dedicated VGFive thread on CAG. Open communication is the key to success.

[quote name='Tinaphps']Some of those values look pretty messed up.
girl.jpg

beaty.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The automatic pricing has only had time to run twice thus far, and some games are still short on requests and offers which it needs to adequately gauge supply+demand. Prices will be getting better in the coming weeks.

[quote name='taintedzodiac']Trading has only been active for about four days now, so many people are still testing the water and have credits tied up in the initial wave of trades. Feedback is rolling in as of today (seven very fast shipments already reported as received), so actual evidence of the system working will hopefully lead to more people putting their games into the system.

If you're interested, you can track recent trades and feedback at http://www.vgfive.com/transactions[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. I didn't realize it was started recently. I saw it being mentioned in the Goozex forums, so I figured it has been up and running for a while now.

[quote name='camoor']It's not another Goozex. It's better then Goozex. Read what TZ said again:
[/QUOTE]

I'm not explicitly saying it's another Goozex, but it really looks like another Goozex in that there's a lot of demand and no supply. But I guess the reason behind that has been explained by TZ above.:)

I'm going to sign up when I get the chance.

Do you plan to give users the option to not ship internationally? In the years I've spent trading, a large number of issues were with Canadian transactions. Even now, tracking to Canada only works up to where it leave the US... seems like Canadian carriers never bother scanning things. On the other hand, Canada to US tracking always works.

I just got matched for my first trade and it's to Canada. If I knew it was a Canadian user, I would have honestly declined (but you can't see those details before you accept).

I understand Goozex had an issue where people wouldn't ship to Canada but would accept items from them, creating an imbalance. I think this could be avoided by simply making it either accepting both ways or neither.

EDIT* BTW, I love that you have a built in link to ship via PayPal. I hated having to go through all the hoops on Goozex (either use their inflated shipping rates, or use a Greasemonkey script).

[quote name='Vinny']Do you plan to give users the option to not ship internationally? In the years I've spent trading, a large number of issues were with Canadian transactions. Even now, tracking to Canada only works up to where it leave the US... seems like Canadian carriers never bother scanning things. On the other hand, Canada to US tracking always works.

I just got matched for my first trade and it's to Canada. If I knew it was a Canadian user, I would have honestly declined (but you can't see those details before you accept).

I understand Goozex had an issue where people wouldn't ship to Canada but would accept items from them, creating an imbalance. I think this could be avoided by simply making it either accepting both ways or neither.

EDIT* BTW, I love that you have a built in link to ship via PayPal. I hated having to go through all the hoops on Goozex (either use their inflated shipping rates, or use a Greasemonkey script).[/QUOTE]

Shipping regions will be selectable around the end of the month. Right now they are open just to facilitate more trading (one of our Canadian users is actually sending out 8-10 games that are headed Stateside). The prices are rising at the post office on Jan 1, though, so I don't want people to be stuck paying an even higher bill.

The Paypal link was inspired by the exact thing you point out. I hated having to find that link every time I shipped a game!

Sending out my first game tomorrow. Biggest piece of advice is to change your payapl address to something a little more professional. It threw me for a second to see where I was sending my money.

Can you update your settings to not ship to Canada? I would like to be able to see the buyer's information (feedback given/received, and also the region in which they live).

I got my first request, but couldn't click the link from my e-mail inbox. I got the ET game pic with "We're sorry, but something went wrong" message.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Sending out my first game tomorrow. Biggest piece of advice is to change your payapl address to something a little more professional. It threw me for a second to see where I was sending my money.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I'm not incorporated so Paypal won't allow payments to anything but my legal name. Working on that. Thanks!

[quote name='shieryda']Can you update your settings to not ship to Canada? I would like to be able to see the buyer's information (feedback given/received, and also the region in which they live).

I got my first request, but couldn't click the link from my e-mail inbox. I got the ET game pic with "We're sorry, but something went wrong" message.[/QUOTE]

Can you forward that email on to [email protected] ? I can investigate just what the error is. Thanks!

It's working good so far. I was matched for trades the day after it opened. I've sent out three games allready. I'm glad I have a new trading site. I've been watching goozex slowly get down to around 500 trades.

Also, I could not list some of my games because it said they did not have correct release dates. It said to click on the game to update it. I did and it took me to an information page about the game but I could not add or change anything. I've noticed some games missing stright out from the database.

How does alt versions of a game work? (Greatest hits) I was trying to list resident evil 4 for ps2. The only option was regular label. I have greatest hits. Some people flip out if you send them a greatest hits version because that's not what the pictures shows when they order.

Just signed up this morning really liking the site so far, hopefully I can trade for some of the N64 games I've been looking for!

So far out of the 6 games I've been matched with I have received 4 and the other two are in transit.

I'm scheduled to send out a game this weekend and I'm really hoping to get matched for more trades to send out since I already ran out of points to spend! So far so good :D

Sent out 2 games today, and another going out tomorrow.

So, just a few questions/concerns:

1. I like the built in PP shipping link, but any way you could make it so that the shipping information gets pre-filled?

2. Are buy/sell transaction saved and sent/received data saved? I requested a cancellation for my trade to Canada, and it just disappeared. I'm not sure if that's because the buyer accept or if it expired because I didn't send. Also, I'd like to keep track of what I sent and received, and the respective points for those transactions.

3. Any plans for a vacation mode? I had to manually put all of my stuff on hold...:lol:

[quote name='antlp89']So far out of the 6 games I've been matched with I have received 4 and the other two are in transit.

I'm scheduled to send out a game this weekend and I'm really hoping to get matched for more trades to send out since I already ran out of points to spend! So far so good :D[/QUOTE]

This is great news. Gives us hope for a new (and hopefully better) site.:applause:

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']It's working good so far. I was matched for trades the day after it opened. I've sent out three games allready. I'm glad I have a new trading site. I've been watching goozex slowly get down to around 500 trades.

Also, I could not list some of my games because it said they did not have correct release dates. It said to click on the game to update it. I did and it took me to an information page about the game but I could not add or change anything. I've noticed some games missing stright out from the database.

How does alt versions of a game work? (Greatest hits) I was trying to list resident evil 4 for ps2. The only option was regular label. I have greatest hits. Some people flip out if you send them a greatest hits version because that's not what the pictures shows when they order.[/QUOTE]

You'll need to create an account at the database site (http://www.thegamesdb.net) before it will show the edit button. That's a separate site from VGFive, so it's a different login.

Greatest hits are supposed to be traded under the normal edition, since they are identical games. The only case where that is not true is when the physical contents differ, such as a "3 disc greatest hits" release, or a GotY with similar physical differences.

[quote name='Vinny']Sent out 2 games today, and another going out tomorrow.

So, just a few questions/concerns:

1. I like the built in PP shipping link, but any way you could make it so that the shipping information gets pre-filled?

2. Are buy/sell transaction saved and sent/received data saved? I requested a cancellation for my trade to Canada, and it just disappeared. I'm not sure if that's because the buyer accept or if it expired because I didn't send. Also, I'd like to keep track of what I sent and received, and the respective points for those transactions.

3. Any plans for a vacation mode? I had to manually put all of my stuff on hold...:lol:[/QUOTE]

1. I'm hoping to put a pre-filled version in at some point, but it's not on the radar just yet. Paypal doesn't have an easy API for such things, as far as I'm aware. The Goozex greasemonkey script just scraped the site, but I'm not a expert at that.

2. Account history is coming soon, as is vacation mode. Both of these are on the "to be done soon" list.

Thanks!

Thanks for the game Mr Unoriginal.

Everything was in fantastic condition.

I wish I could have gave you a bigger tip but I ran out of points already. :hot:

Have two games in the mail that I'm awaiting positive feedback, I can't wait till I get more points to spend. :D

[quote name='antlp89']Thanks for the game Mr Unoriginal.

Everything was in fantastic condition.

I wish I could have gave you a bigger tip but I ran out of points already. :hot:

Have two games in the mail that I'm awaiting positive feedback, I can't wait till I get more points to spend. :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, always like sending out games to fellow CAGs.

I was a long time Goozer (still am I guess although not much trading going on there anymore) and in the short time VGFive has been live I've already received more games than in all of 2012 with Goozex. I'm very pleased with the site and encourage anyone who's interested in trading to at least check it out.

Man, that's good to hear the site is active and running smoothly.

I'm on vacation so unfortunately, I can't send more games out nor can I accept anything.

[quote name='Vinny']Man, that's good to hear the site is active and running smoothly.

I'm on vacation so unfortunately, I can't send more games out nor can I accept anything.[/QUOTE]

I'm heading out for vacation in a couple days and just remembered to put my USPS mail on-hold, so as long as any seller you deal with is using USPS, you can still have active requests and not worry about it (unless you are going to be gone longer than the 2-week feedback window).

Now that I'm settling in at a new place I've activated some requests and already have one accepted by a solid Goozex vet. I'm very encouraged by the additional features constantly being added by site admin taintedzodiac and the forums are starting to buzz with activity. Looking very, very good.

I just don't like the concept of having my packages being held. They had issues with this about a year ago when I had to leave town and they couldn't find 12 of my packages when I got back. It took 2 days before one of them realized that larger packages are kept elsewhere due to space constraints.

[quote name='Solatso']I was a long time Goozer (still am I guess although not much trading going on there anymore) and in the short time VGFive has been live I've already received more games than in all of 2012 with Goozex. I'm very pleased with the site and encourage anyone who's interested in trading to at least check it out.[/QUOTE]

I was a long time Goozer myself with over 200 games sent. I'll start again with this site, :lol:

As a long time Goozer and top trader at that site (and staunch defender until let left the members handing), I signed up for VGFive two days ago. I am already sending out 22 games to members stateside and across the border. I look forward to this site doing well and trading with many people!

My favorite thing about vgfive is within just the two days I've been on the site, I've seen Tainted be more proactive than any of the old Goozex team combined in that short period. He quickly jumps on fixes and issues, and will even do a manual pull from The Games Database if you did some updates or additions.

Also, it is very easy to update database. Just sign up, add a game or update the release date and the next morning VGFive has pulled the new information to the site. I love how it gives the users power to fix game listings without waiting days or weeks like it did at Goozex

I have the best timing. I just signed up today right after all of the giveaways went down, including the free points/token giveaway this morning.

I'll give this website a try in a few days after I dig through my collection and find some games that I'd like to trade. I used Goozex for a while but stopped after it became harder to find matches for anything but the most egregiously mispriced games. From what I've seen, VGFive looks promising.

Ok, so for some reason, I have a lot more points than I should have and a bonus token. I think saw something about a free token for the first completed sale, but I have no idea on the points... I don't remember how much I agreed to sell the games for and can't find records of that anywhere. I think I should have had 800-1100 but actually have 1500.

Just noticed that I also got 500 points and an extra token.

I'm late to the party, but if anyone else needs clarification, VGFive gave away 500 points and a free token to every user who made an account prior to December 24th.

http://www.vgfive.com/topics/50d8876848cb8016e2000323

What a guy! :D

The more users that join the website means more points are needed for the points economy and it's wonderful that TZ gave points away instead of flooding the website by selling an endless amount to users.

[quote name='antlp89']Just noticed that I also got 500 points and an extra token.

I'm late to the party, but if anyone else needs clarification, VGFive gave away 500 points and a free token to every user who made an account prior to December 24th.

http://www.vgfive.com/topics/50d8876848cb8016e2000323

What a guy! :D

The more users that join the website means more points are needed for the points economy and it's wonderful that TZ gave points away instead of flooding the website by selling an endless amount to users.[/QUOTE]

Merry Christmas to all! :)

My apologies for not sending out an official email, but the same thing that affected Netflix yesterday brought down the email service that handles all of the site's mailings. Figured it was better to let it be than risk emails being sent multiple times.

bread's done
Back