best video streaming service??

steve_k

CAGiversary!
What is the best video streaming service and why?

I am looking for:

quality movie selection
television series
High definition picture
little to no buffer time
low cost

I have an internet speed that varies between 4 mb and 6 mb per second. The Internet provider (Earhlink) describes this as 'high speed'. Is this sufficient for movie streaming? If so, what service should I consider?

What would you be using to stream?

We have Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime and we use the Xbox 360 most of the time. I also watch an episode a day of something on my Android tablet before I go to sleep.

-Hulu Plus is for your next-day current TV watching. Look around on the Hulu Plus web site and see which shows you actually watch regularly. We cancel the service in the summer.

-Netflix and Amazon Prime are very similar. We keep Prime because of 2-day shipping and it was 50% off because of an Amazon student discount.

Netflix just got a bunch of Disney movies which pleases my girlfriend. I'm also pleased with Netflix's TV selection as it has a mix of older and newer shows. But still, Amazon Prime and Netflix are competing fiercely right now so they are very similar.

If you like animated shows, I think you should go with Netflix but confirm this yourself. I'm talking Futurama, American Dad, Family Guy, Cleveland Show, etc.

We use Time Warner cable for Internet service only and we stream in HD. Speedtest.net shows 25 Mbps. When we had DSL through DSL Extreme the marketed speed was enough for HD but the quality would fluctuate between medium and high a lot. Then again the Xbox 360 only streams in 720p or so I read. PS3 supposedly streams in 1080p but we only just got a PS3 and I haven't compared much.

Of all three services I like Netflix the most. I think it's one of the best values you can find anywhere, and I think the people who complained about the price increases before are so completely full of shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back