CAGcast #307: The Real Geek Squad

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

Cheapy loses his kerryoky money, Wombat's daughter says hello, and Shipwreck supplies a Wii U update.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

Download (1 hour 15 minutes) - Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This episode sponsored by Stack Soap!
Use coupon code CAGSTACK for $2 off (Amazon Prime eligible)
http://cdnroot.cheap...d=29009&thumb=1

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Babel II

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Edited by CheapyD, 14 December 2012 - 07:39 AM.

#2 MySaturdaySelf

MySaturdaySelf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

hah.. Cheapy went to Rage mode around 45min.

#3 flamefist7

flamefist7

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

Wow talk about lucky the minute i refresh the page to go to bed theres a new podcast waiting for me. Can't wait to hear this one.

#4 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

Just in time for bedtime. Thanks, Cheapy.

#5 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Fun Fact: the limited commercial interruption guy from hulu also plays Lee in The Walking Dead: The Game.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#6 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Can't wait to listen! And Stack Soap for the win.

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#7 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Daaaaaawwww, Sabrina is adorable.

LOL @ Cheapy's reaction to the karaoke scam. That was soooo good. XD

Edited by LiK, 14 December 2012 - 02:02 PM.

63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#8 GORILMONSTA

GORILMONSTA

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

Wombat needs to step his game up, or his daughter is gonna take his spot at the table! Breads done!
Posted Image

#9 beard_of_zeus

beard_of_zeus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

I don't know if it was just me, but when I downloaded this through iTunes, the podcast downloaded successfully, but I initially couldn't play it because it couldn't find the file. I ended up having to go to the download folder and manually point iTunes at the file (which was simply named "download.mp3", while I noticed some of the other episode files had more descriptive titles, maybe it has something to do with that?), but then it worked fine. Just a quick note!
Posted Image

#10 cereal_killerxx

cereal_killerxx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

Wombat, your daughter is adorable. Reminds me of my niece :)

#11 hoofrog

hoofrog

Game Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Ship, check out Little Inferno on Wii U eShop. I think you and Mrs. Ship will enjoy it.

#12 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Eh, still kinda wrong there was the same intention to release the original Skyrim DLC(s) at end of the Xbox exclusivity window , but that didn't happen because of Bethesda's ineptitude. There isn't any reason to believe they are going to pull off releasing it on time this time either.

Guardian_owl.png

#13 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

I'd like to echo the fact that Wombat's daughter is indeed ridiculously adorable.

#14 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Ship, check out Little Inferno on Wii U eShop. I think you and Mrs. Ship will enjoy it.

I bought this based on a Game Informer recommendation in their podcast last week. I don't know about that "game". I played it for a while the other night and it almost put me in a coma.

I got to the point where I couldn't figure out any more combos and I still have a ways to go. I think I've only figured out 23 combos. So, I'm trying to decide if I keep working on it or find a cheat sheet on line. If I cheat, the game will probably be over in 20 minutes.

#15 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

I haven't listened yet, but I did make Stack Soap purchase as a gift for my dad, so thanks for putting that image up. That is some damn nice packaging!
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#16 polly

polly

Karma Policeman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Cheapy's "Dude, it's bullshit" rant was hilarious. Laughed my ass off.
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]

#17 felix559

felix559

Forever Backlogged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

great cast fellas, classy as always. i was posting a question in the cagbag when i saw the new show!

#18 Alcedes

Alcedes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

wow, that cheapyd blowup needs to be bookmarked, he hasn't sworn that much all year combined haha.

#19 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Was refreshing to hear Cheapy not brush something off as "Oh well" and be genuinely upset at some gaming industry stupidity.

I also loved how Cheapy could understand Sabrina, because I couldn't :oops: that was adorable Wombat, great show.

#20 Manloi

Manloi

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:38 AM

Hello! Cheapy,

I am glad to hear that you are going to Hong Kong for vacation. I was born and raised in Hong Kong. Although I haven't visit Hong Kong for about 12 years, I missed my childhood there. The present Hong Kong might not be the British Colony Hong Kong. But I think it's a great place for vacation and shopping.

Can you talk about your trip in Hong Kong when you're back?

#21 SoxFan13

SoxFan13

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

Guys, I loved this episode! Cheapy's investigavtive Car-O-Kay journalism, Shipwreck's Geek on the Street segment, and Wombat's adorable daughter were all great. Keep it up, and have a great Christmas/Hannukah!

#22 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

Not sure why but I assumed the Karaoke app was real time. I think because Xbox movies work the same way. Once you start watching the clock is ticking.

Or maybe I'm just conditioned to expect whatever is the worst deal for the consumer.
"I love you. But I also love hanging up on you."
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#23 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

$270 to hang your tv? Geeksquad?

Well next time try it yourself. Pretty easy home project. The whole experience is a short puzzle game with a few action sequences. :D

A few level holes drilled in the wall where studs are for the mount. Screw mount to wall. Maybe the cables through the wall thing scares you? Amazon makes a nice $50 kit for that that makes it pretty easy (Datacomm flat panel tv kit) and meets code. A $7 drywall saw cuts a hole in the wall pretty easy (much easier than a layman would think possible.) Before you hang the tv you put brackets on back with these things called screws. Lifting the tv to to hang it on the mount is the same as putting it on a tv stand.

Then you have YouTube etc for free hints on how to overcome any obstacles.

Edited by trip1eX, 15 December 2012 - 05:51 AM.

#24 bloodlinejake

bloodlinejake

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

Oh Cheapy, your so funny when your mad.

#25 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

$270 to hang your tv? Geeksquad?

Well next time try it yourself. Pretty easy home project. The whole experience is a short puzzle game with a few action sequences. :D

A few level holes drilled in the wall where studs are for the mount. Screw mount to wall. Maybe the cables through the wall thing scares you? Amazon makes a nice $50 kit for that that makes it pretty easy (Datacomm flat panel tv kit) and meets code. A $7 drywall saw cuts a hole in the wall pretty easy (much easier than a layman would think possible.) Before you hang the tv you put brackets on back with these things called screws. Lifting the tv to to hang it on the mount is the same as putting it on a tv stand.

Then you have YouTube etc for free hints on how to overcome any obstacles.

It took them less than two hours. I'm perfectly fine paying $270 for a quick and painless experience.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#26 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

Miiverse is interesting. It is for Nintendo's demographic. But say you're a host of a popular gaming podcast and have a bunch of followers. You get a Wii U. And attract followers there. You go to play SMB Wii U. And ....you have CAG messages all over SMB Wii U. Hints on finding the star coins. Spoilers. etc. Pictures. Balls. Shafts. etc. Don't want it? click a button on the touchscreen and it all goes away. Click the button again and its back. Want to see spoilers? You can click that setting on/off too.

Or the reverse. YOu leave messages in a lot of places and your followers get a kick out of seeing the videogame podcast hosts' notes of what he thought or hints he has etc.

I think what it would have over Twitter is location location location. The stuff is right there. In the game.

And the messages in a game like SMB can be fresh because you have the option to leave them right then and there after you finish every level.

Of course this is a dream of sorts because not positive you can control what messages you see and your friend limit is only 100. This is where they should be more like Twitter. Follow certain people to get their comments. Or set up a group like CAGs to see only CAG messages. And then vote up/down messages.

AS it is I don't use it though. I didn't have anything to say about every level in SMB Wii U. And no one my kids know or I know has a Wii U. lol.

#27 cthomer5000

cthomer5000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

Amazing how quickly i went from on-board with Cheapy, to outraged with Cheapy over the Karaoke thing. I'm fine with it working in real time while you're in the app, but there should be extremely explicit language if there is no way to store purchased time while outside of the app.

#28 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

It took them less than two hours. I'm perfectly fine paying $270 for a quick and painless experience.

Please tell me you pay for a lawn service and a maid.

#29 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

Saw some headline that German law is responsible for restrictions on "mature" content in Europe Nintendo e-shop.

#30 STRUDLES89

STRUDLES89

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Completly forgot about stack soap until today. Picked up a pack for my husbands stocking stuffer. Thanks guys! Here's hoping it make it to Alaska before Christmas!