Photo
- - - - -

Shooting in Conn. School

• Please log in to reply
1178 replies to this topic

#571 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

Off duty officer working private security and armed? I can't believe that officer pulled a firearm! They should have just gotten a license plate and reported it. :D
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#572 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

hmmm.... wait what?
http://usnews.nbcnew...toria-soto?lite

It sucks that she and the others died, but does she REALLY need to have a school named after her?

#573 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

hmmm.... wait what?
http://usnews.nbcnew...toria-soto?lite

It sucks that she and the others died, but does she REALLY need to have a school named after her?

Why not... do we really need another Lincoln or Jefferson High?

What's so odd about naming an educational establishment after an... educator?

#574 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Why not... do we really need another Lincoln or Jefferson High?

What's so odd about naming an educational establishment after an... educator?

You name schools after famous authors, people who spend their lifetime helping others or making big contributions to society...not someone who was a victim of a senseless crime. What about the Principal? Does she get something named after her? If any school should be named after , it should be for her.

#575 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

I really don't care who a school is named after in a district that doesn't matter to me in a community that doesn't affect me.
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Gentleman's League Record:
Season 1: 7-9 Missed Playoffs
Season 2: 18-1 Superbowl Champs

#576 gunnm

gunnm

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

You name schools after famous authors, people who spend their lifetime helping others or making big contributions to society...not someone who was a victim of a senseless crime. What about the Principal? Does she get something named after her? If any school should be named after , it should be for her.

who gives a shit its one of a million schools

#577 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Only because I love it when Anne Coulter speaks because I know she cannot be this crazy....can she?

http://www.huffingto..._n_2479240.html

"If you compare white populations, we have the same murder rate as Belgium," Coulter said. "So perhaps it's not a gun problem, it is a demographic problem, which liberals are the ones pushing, pushing, pushing."

She continued sarcastically, "Let's get more Colin Fergusons and whoever the guy was who shot up Fort Hood. Why are they coming in to begin with?"

While the fact that drug trafficking in inner cities results in lots of gun violence she fails to mention that Sandy Hook, Aurora, Tuscon and Columbine were all perpetrated by white men. What "demographic" issue do we seem to have with mass killings then?

#578 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

hmmm...wait what?
http://usnews.nbcnew...geting-him?lite

#579 120fps

120fps

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

I don't understand why a civilized country like the USA would not want to ban guns, let alone have reasonable restrictions on who is given a gun. It seems increasingly clear to me that we need to either repeal the 2nd amendment, clarify the true meaning of the 2nd amendment or put pressure on the justices to be more reasonable in their rulings about guns, rather than cave into rightwing political pressure.

#580 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

I don't understand why a civilized country like the USA would not want to ban guns, let alone have reasonable restrictions on who is given a gun. It seems increasingly clear to me that we need to either repeal the 2nd amendment, clarify the true meaning of the 2nd amendment or put pressure on the justices to be more reasonable in their rulings about guns, rather than cave into rightwing political pressure.

There's evidence to suggest that permitting private ownership of guns isn't the problem. It's part US culture and part personal accountability (along with a lot of nuance) that ultimately foster gun violence.

There are countries with both more and less gun control that have lower crime rates than the USA.

#581 120fps

120fps

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

There's evidence to suggest that permitting private ownership of guns isn't the problem. It's part US culture and part personal accountability (along with a lot of nuance) that ultimately foster gun violence.

There are countries with both more and less gun control that have lower crime rates than the USA.

Would it be wrong for me to conclude that the more culturally stable countries are more deserving of gun rights than the USA?

#582 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

Would it be wrong for me to conclude that the more culturally stable countries are more deserving of gun rights than the USA?

How do you sell the argument to the American people, then? Just curious, since outright banning is not going to happen if they don't accept it.

But, culture is part (and only part) of the problem.

#583 120fps

120fps

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

How do you sell the argument to the American people, then? Just curious, since outright banning is not going to happen if they don't accept it.

But, culture is part (and only part) of the problem.

Abortion was legalized before people were technically ready for it so why would banning guns be any different? What we need is stronger leadership and more passion on the left.

#584 ID2006

ID2006

"Klaymen, up here!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

Abortion was legalized before people were technically ready for it so why would banning guns be any different? What we need is stronger leadership and more passion on the left.

With abortion, they were protecting a freedom, and they were reinforcing that right. Taking away guns is removing a freedom embedded in this country's foundation and its constitution. It's got much stronger standing and history and much larger support on both sides.

Beside that, you need some statistics to back things up. What was the opposition to abortion? Mostly religious. Guns aren't tangled with religion like abortion, so it's quite a different story.

Also, you should keep in mind that being a Democrat does not mean being for the banning of guns. There are plenty of Democrats in the House (and probably Senate) that support the existence of the 2nd Amendment, even if they also support gun control. It's not black or white for Democratic party.

#585 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

For a country born out of violence I guess we can't expect much more. Then again, this is 2013, you'd think by now people would have put the revolutionary war behind them.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#586 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

Don't feel like reading the whole thread but just thought I'd share. Hillsborough county in Florida (around Tampa) is putting an armed guard in every elementary school. Around 150 of them

Formerly known as slickkill77

#587 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

I love that "conservatives" want armed guards posted in schools. You can't make this shit up.
Posted Image

#588 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

You can't make this shit up.

The modern GOP slogan.
Posted Image

#589 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I love that "conservatives" want armed guards posted in schools. You can't make this shit up.

Aside from the obvious totalitarian aspects of it, there's also the obscene cost this would carry...

#590 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

The super right don't actually want "armed guards" in schools, that costs money. They want armed volunteers.

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#591 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

The super right don't actually want "armed guards" in schools, that costs money. They want armed volunteers.

:rofl:

So what happens when one of the volunteers turns out to be unstable and shoots up a school themselves? Volunteers to watch the volunteers?

#592 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Don't feel like reading the whole thread but just thought I'd share. Hillsborough county in Florida (around Tampa) is putting an armed guard in every elementary school. Around 150 of them

Quick search shows that Hillsborough County went for Obama in 2008 and 2012. I know that some of the far-left folks like to consider Obama to be conservative, but I'm not sure how many folks on here would go that far.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#593 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Quick search shows that Hillsborough County went for Obama in 2008 and 2012. I know that some of the far-left folks like to consider Obama to be conservative, but I'm not sure how many folks on here would go that far.

It's a close split but Republicans outnumber Democrats there (41% to 33%). To your second point, it's pretty hard to differentiate Obama from the Republicans of just 20 years ago.
Posted Image

#594 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Conservative ≠ Republican.

#595 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Conservative ≠ Republican.

No kidding. I was just countering your point.
Posted Image

#596 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'd actually argue that a conservative wouldn't have voted for Obama or Romney either one. But that's beyond the point.

To claim that a bunch of folks in an area that voted in favor of the least conservative of the two major candidates are "conservative" is a questionable claim at best.

#597 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

It's funny, schools are sometimes thought of as prisons for children. Well with armed guards I guess we're one step closer.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#598 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'd actually argue that a conservative wouldn't have voted for Obama or Romney either one. But that's beyond the point.

You are beyond the point my friend.

To claim that a bunch of folks in an area that voted in favor of the least conservative of the two major candidates are "conservative" is a questionable claim at best.

You zeroed in on the specific case after my generalization and I provided evidence to counter your point. You have a different definition of conservative, just as I do. However Republican enrollment and historical voting records are accepted means for testing how "conservative" a county is by popular definition. So I don't know what to tell you. I don't know why you are harping on this or why I'm indulging you.
Posted Image

#599 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

I don't know why people are bashing armed guards so much. It would make me feel better sending my kids to a public school knowing there is one more safety barrier put in place.
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Gentleman's League Record:
Season 1: 7-9 Missed Playoffs
Season 2: 18-1 Superbowl Champs

#600 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

I don't know why people are bashing armed guards so much. It would make me feel better sending my kids to a public school knowing there is one more safety barrier put in place.

Maybe I'm being presumptuous but you wouldn't want armed guards in your workplace or in the grocery store would you?
Posted Image