Wii $69 at Walmart (YMMV)

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 bonesawisready

bonesawisready

YES! YES! YES!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:36 AM

If not being able to play GameCube games is a knock against the Wii, wouldn't it also be a knock against the WiiU?

Because it's silly to think a console TWO generations removed would play Cube games.

It's as stupid as knocking the 3DS for not playing GBA carts.

At some point the cord has to be cut, and honestly no one should expect GCN playback on Wii U, outside of potential for VC.

#32 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

Because it's silly to think a console TWO generations removed would play Cube games.

It's as stupid as knocking the 3DS for not playing GBA carts.

At some point the cord has to be cut, and honestly no one should expect GCN playback on Wii U, outside of potential for VC.

You didn't understand my point.

If I'm not going to buy a system because it doesn't play Gamecube games, why would I buy another system that doesn't play Gamecube games? If I did, then obviously not playing Gamecube games is not a big deal.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#33 SnoT

SnoT

Twat Twat?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

I'd grab one if it's still soft mod-able

SnoT8282.png

#34 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

its a knock against it when the feature was removed for no apparent reason at all.

This. So ridiculous nintendo did that. I bought 2 extra backward compatible wii's as they were phasing them out for cheap. Think they were like 80 or 90 bucks or something like that.

I wouldn't mind getting one for 70 if its not backwards compatible just to mod it for UK games. Can you do that with the newer ones or just the older ones? I just ordered a CE copy of Pandoras Tower recently

Do you have a sealed Philips CD-i in that closet along with a sealed copy of Hotel Mario and the three Link/Zelda games? ;-)

What was the slogan? "Its like CD for your television?"

HAH! holy crap those games were HORRIBLE
My massive game collection list: (work in progress, pain in the butt getting it all entered)
\-Clicky Here-\

#35 ShadowAssassin

ShadowAssassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

I'd grab one if it's still soft mod-able

They are. All Wii's are in play for that. They haven't made a system menu version higher than 4.3 so it'll be fine.

Overall the Wii kinda sucked for an overall great game library IMO, but it had a pretty damn good library of RPGs, which is the genre of most games I buy. So overall I felt it was a solid system.

#36 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

At this point who really gives a crap if A wii can play gamecube games at this point?

because newer models of gamecube didn't support component cables, Sherlock

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#37 Havok83

Havok83

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

-Not backwards compatible
-No more new games coming out for it
-Outdated
-Better off buying a Wii U which plays all Wii games

Hmmmm, $300 vs $70. A person is better off getting whats more affordable for what they want

the Wii U wont be $70... they are losing money on every console till u buy ur first game... The Xbox 360 slim STILL goes for about $200 ps3 even more... the Wii U is alot more advanced with more tech involved like the tablet (which im using to post this right now so try doing that on a normal wii...)

Um yes it will. The guy said it would take at least 6-7 years and chances are the Wii U will be able to be purhcased for that cheap by then, especially after Nintendo rolls out its successor

Edited by Havok83, 16 December 2012 - 01:52 PM.

Posted Image

#38 Fabrizo

Fabrizo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Several Wii games support the Gamecube controller, and I'm not sure all of those support the Classic controller. So for that reason alone it's worth getting a Wii w/backwards compatibility.

#39 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Does the Wii U play Gamecube games in Wii mode?

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#40 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Does the Wii U play Gamecube games in Wii mode?

No.

#41 srac84

srac84

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

so can anyone confirm that it $69 at there local walmart or is it super ymmv? :p.. im thinking of picking it up just play a couple of mario games, and the last story, is it worth it?..I figure I could prob resell it later for like $50 worst case scenario?..

#42 oasisboy

oasisboy

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Lol, you're waiting to buy a wii until a specific game is included? Are you new to gaming? You could have bought those separately for $100 dozens of times by now...

Not new to gaming... look at my join date :roll:

I never bought a Wii since the games never appealed to me. Have been a gamer for 20+ years and grew up on a steady diet of Mario games... I never played Galaxy 1 or 2 since I dont want to buy a Wii but if a bundle were to include Galaxy 2 for $99, I would buy it.

I haven't seen a deal where both combined = $99. Wii's have always been above $100 and Galaxy 2 has always been $40+. Please tell me where you have seen a deal where both can be had for $100.
[IMG]http://http://profile.mygamercard.net/conejo%20mexicano[/IMG]

#43 srac84

srac84

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

I was just at walmart it was $109 at my local walmart.. so i guess no one else is finding it but the OP?

#44 padlok

padlok

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

This is my buy in price for a Nintendo Wii

#45 donssword

donssword

Gaming longer than u

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

Even without GCN compatibility, you can still soft-mod the hell out of them.

NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, Genesis, Neo-Geo, TurboGrafx-16, 2600, 7800, Atari ST, all sorts of stuff. They support Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, or you can install WiiMC, the homebrew media channel, and stream video from your PC.

--
My first console: the Teletype 33.

DonsSword.png

#46 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:47 AM

Not to be 'corporate defender' guy, but... do people really think that Nintendo removed GC backwards compatibility for no reason? Like, they were just sitting around one day and went "Hey, you know what? Fuck the consumer!"?

Money. It's money. Removing GC components saves manufacturing cost. It wasn't just software emulation, it was actual physical things that needed to be manufactured and put in the Wii. It may not have been an exorbitant amount of money, sure, but it's enough that they decided it wasn't worth it anymore.

And, uh, really... if you cared about GC compatibility, I'd like to think you wouldn't have waited 5 years to jump in.

#47 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

Not to be 'corporate defender' guy, but... do people really think that Nintendo removed GC backwards compatibility for no reason? Like, they were just sitting around one day and went "Hey, you know what? Fuck the consumer!"?

Money. It's money. Removing GC components saves manufacturing cost. It wasn't just software emulation, it was actual physical things that needed to be manufactured and put in the Wii. It may not have been an exorbitant amount of money, sure, but it's enough that they decided it wasn't worth it anymore.

And, uh, really... if you cared about GC compatibility, I'd like to think you wouldn't have waited 5 years to jump in.

Take your logic and get out.

#48 srac84

srac84

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

who cares about all this talk lol... has anyone else been able to find it for $69?? My local walmart rang up at $109.. so kinda thinking it was just at the OPs local walmart oh well..

#49 MR_E

MR_E

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

At this point who really gives a crap if A wii can play gamecube games at this point?

I care about the fact that the new model actually can't play some Wii games. The required mat peripherals for games like the Dance Dance Revolution series and the Active Life series use the gamecube controller ports, making the games unplayable on newer Wii models.

#50 TooPoor

TooPoor

βˆ€ Game, βˆƒ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

who cares about all this talk lol... has anyone else been able to find it for $69?? My local walmart rang up at $109.. so kinda thinking it was just at the OPs local walmart oh well..

Wondering this as well. Hopefully someone else other than the OP can report success. Walmart is one of my least favorite places to be, but I do would like a $80 Wii to give to my older relatives.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#51 TooPoor

TooPoor

βˆ€ Game, βˆƒ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

Take your logic and get out.

What he said is true. Backwards compatibility do add hardware costs, I have not researched the case for Wii and Gamecube, but it's true for the PS3/PS2 fiasco back then.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#52 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

What he said is true. Backwards compatibility do add hardware costs, I have not researched the case for Wii and Gamecube, but it's true for the PS3/PS2 fiasco back then.

Was joking.

#53 TooPoor

TooPoor

βˆ€ Game, βˆƒ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

Was joking.

Ah, now I see your angle. I am always slow in picking up these things:drool:

Mathematically Correct.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#54 oasisboy

oasisboy

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Walmart is one of my least favorite places to be, but I do would like a $80 Wii to give to my older relatives.

No, please no. Don't buy a Wii that will just eat dust likes many Wiis in hospitals.
[IMG]http://http://profile.mygamercard.net/conejo%20mexicano[/IMG]

#55 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Of course it saved manufacturing costs, but they also dropped the price of the Wii, so I don't think there was much net gain there. At the point when they dropped the price it should have just been a universal price drop anyway, so it was basically screwing people over who didn't know any better.

The thing I didn't like is how they did it so stealthily. It was a highly touted feature on the Wii and they removed it with an announcement that spread like a mouse fart in a hurricane. Even recently and probably still today I know a lot of "real" gamers who don't even realize that the new cheaper Wii's out there don't run GC games.

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#56 pwhitenight

pwhitenight

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

I was just at walmart it was $109 at my local walmart.. so i guess no one else is finding it but the OP?

Just checked 2 local stores, still $109 in Austin, TX. My dad wants one to stream Netflix, and doesn't care about a lack of GC compatibility.

#57 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Just checked 2 local stores, still $109 in Austin, TX. My dad wants one to stream Netflix, and doesn't care about a lack of GC compatibility.

Just get a Roku if that's all he wants, will work better than any Wii for video streaming. Does the Wii even stream in HD? I don't think it does, whereas a Roku or G-Box will.

EDIT: Just checked, the Wii can't stream HD (no surprise since its max output is 480p). Why would anyone want to use the Wii for streaming, when all you get is crappy SD?

Edited by chimpmeister, 17 December 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#58 TooPoor

TooPoor

βˆ€ Game, βˆƒ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

No, please no. Don't buy a Wii that will just eat dust likes many Wiis in hospitals.

Well, it's not my idea. There's a really popular Asian TV drama that's going on, and in it they were playing Wii, so my wife's aunt said she wants one. She's about 49, I think she will enjoy it.

Mathematically Correct.

My Trade List

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#59 No.

No.

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

If you're going to use a console for modded streaming, the old XBox is better than the Wii since it can play up to 1080i and you can install a hard drive. If you can still find one.

#60 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Should this thread be moved to the deal discussion/bragging rights forums as only the OP has been able to find this deal.