Photo
- - - - -

Rock Band 3 Pro Guitar - $35, Keyboard - $25 (PS3, Amzn), Band Hero - $40, + MORE

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 DirkBelig

DirkBelig

The Belligerent One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

I bought one of these - http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sxp_f_pt - for the tandem use of MIDI controller for my VSTs (I'm a guitarist who can barely play keyboards, so this is hella helpful for recording) and Rock Band 3. It's weird to play because there is no bumps from frets to cue you as to your position on the neck and the scale is different from my guitars.

After I got a WORKING MIDI-PRO adapter - don't ever need to deal with Mad Catz for support unless you want to be sad and enraged simultaneously - I tried RB3 Pro Mode on the easier levels on songs I can play for real and failed out every time. The way the notes are dished out on the highway just don't make sense to my experience reading tab. Very frustrating.

133994.png DirkBelig.png5fbfd2ddbe4d9137.png DirkBelig.png

#32 Motodisney

Motodisney

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Sucks for people like me who didn't have a 360 when the RB craze hit (played room mate's), but now have a 360 and want a full RB set-up...but it's impossible to find a standalone, straight up, RB guitar (or guitar bundle) that isn't this atrocious "pro" guitar. Like, the best deal is obviously to get the keyboard/game bundle for $40, but you're pretty much SOL as far as the guitar goes unless you either want to pay $130+ for a new/used one or want the "pro" guitar.

I'm in the same boat, was late to the 360 and finally have an area i could actually play rockband now and I can't seem to find a set without paying the outrageous ebay prices. or a straight up guitar for it that isn't a pro. i see plenty of bass guitars but a regular one seems to be pretty much out unless you want to pay for it

#33 Ndolger

Ndolger

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Sucks for people like me who didn't have a 360 when the RB craze hit (played room mate's), but now have a 360 and want a full RB set-up...but it's impossible to find a standalone, straight up, RB guitar (or guitar bundle) that isn't this atrocious "pro" guitar. Like, the best deal is obviously to get the keyboard/game bundle for $40, but you're pretty much SOL as far as the guitar goes unless you either want to pay $130+ for a new/used one or want the "pro" guitar.

I made a SD thread on this as well, and someone posted a link to Tuesday Morning that has the 360 Band Hero set for $40...which includes a guitar. GH Guitars work on Rock Band as well...so maybe that would be good enough for you? I'll add it to the first post.

Here is the link: http://www.tuesdaymo...360/1278209.jsp

Collections: Anime - Games

#34 scblueeyedguy

scblueeyedguy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

I found 2 GH: WoR Xbox 360 guitar bundles at Target recently. Looks like I made a good buy at ~$25 each.

#35 def PD

def PD

jack of all trades, master of none

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

The PRO guitar is decent for what it is, and is adequate for playing PRO mode, as long as it's not metal or anything with crazy fast up-and-down picking. Chords are also a little trick as the fret buttons seem to be pretty sensitive, so if your finger(s) happy to overlap on any other fret buttons it will register them as well when you're strumming.

The lack of a whammy bar is a bit of a downer, but not a deal-breaker. I paid $50 and thought it was a good "investment". I play guitar (not very well), and found the PRO guitar to be a nice medium between the RB/GH toy guitar and the real thing. Don't expect to pick this up and learn to play the guitar and move onto an electric or acoustic and be able to shred like you would in the game. There are techniques like bends, harmonics, etc. that you can't do in the game but are essential to guitar playing.

"Success always comes when preparation meets opportunity."
- Henry Hartman

My Games
http://club.ign.com/...ef_PD&mode=vown

#36 surak

surak

Pickle Inspector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

I have the Squier for PS3 but rarely use it. Two things annoy me about it. One, you must use the string mute or else the game struggles to recognize what you're playing, but the foam on mine dented immediately and doesn't even do a decent job muting, especially on the lower strings. Two, it only works in Pro mode, so unless I drop a ton more on Pro guitar add-on DLC I quickly bore of the dozen songs I actually find enjoyable to play.

Since the Mustang can play both normal and Pro mode, I was wondering if it'd be worth it to pick up just to have the flexibility to play any track without swapping instruments. Anyone with the Mustang ever use it to play guitar in normal mode?

#37 breakingcustoms

breakingcustoms

Rule The Air

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

a year ago i wouldve jumped on the guitar and keyboard...now, no so much

596772.png

#38 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Thanks - already have Rock Band 3 but I might order the guitar bundle and trade my current game in since Gamestop upped the TIV to $15 during that promo.

#39 def PD

def PD

jack of all trades, master of none

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

I have the Squier for PS3 but rarely use it. Two things annoy me about it. One, you must use the string mute or else the game struggles to recognize what you're playing, but the foam on mine dented immediately and doesn't even do a decent job muting, especially on the lower strings. Two, it only works in Pro mode, so unless I drop a ton more on Pro guitar add-on DLC I quickly bore of the dozen songs I actually find enjoyable to play.

Since the Mustang can play both normal and Pro mode, I was wondering if it'd be worth it to pick up just to have the flexibility to play any track without swapping instruments. Anyone with the Mustang ever use it to play guitar in normal mode?

I use the Fender Mustang PRO for the regular guitar mode and it works wonderfully. You can hit any of the strings with any of the frets according to the color tabs. I prefer using it to the original 5 button guitar and have more fun using it to play songs.

"Success always comes when preparation meets opportunity."
- Henry Hartman

My Games
http://club.ign.com/...ef_PD&mode=vown

#40 SnoT

SnoT

Twat Twat?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

If only I could find Rock Band 3 for the PS3...I just want the game.

EDIT: the lowest I've seen it in the past two weeks is roughly $50 on eBay...and those prices have jumped. It's such bullshit that this game is going for those prices.

You can always call your local gamestop after checking to see if they have it used in stock here..
http://www.gamestop....aspx?sku=930510

IF they don't they can check other stores in the area and have it transfered to the store of your choice.. $24.99 - 10% if you have the edge card.

SnoT8282.png

#41 DarkonJohn

DarkonJohn

Growing backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

I actually found a unicorn, I mean a RB3 PRO Squire at Best Buy yesterday. I saw it on the shelf and did a double take. I have wanted one since it came out, but I did not want to pay the original price. I even bought the midi adapter months ago because I figured it would become rare. Now I'm glad I picked that up.

If you happen to find one at Best Buy the price is $179.99, but marked down to $119 on clearance.

I actually went through 3 of those RB3 Pro Squire's before getting one that I was happy with. I first ordered 2 of them (one for me and one for a friend) and immediately noticed that one of them was about 1/2 the weight of the other (must have used completely different types of wood for the head?). Unfortunately they both had problems detecting presses on the upper frets, so I ordered another that weighed somewhere in between the first two and all frets seemed to function correctly.

Congrats on finding one...especially at that price!
3DS FC: 3652-0544-2057 (PM me with yours if you add me)
Posted Image

#42 DarkonJohn

DarkonJohn

Growing backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Also, thanks OP for putting together the list in the first posting...I picked up the Band Hero kit from New Egg just in case my RB drums break. For $40, that's not too bad of a deal. Worst case, I can give it to a friend for X-mas.
Posted Image

#43 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Are there any deals out there on drums? I only have RB1 drums, and would like to get the RB2+ drums and cymbals. Xbox version needed.

Crunchewy.png

#44 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Just an FYI:

The Band Hero kit comes with the older style Guitar Hero drums...BUT you can put in a support ticket with Activision for a replacement pair (if your old style ones break). I had a broken set out of the box where the wire was frayed. They paid for shipping and sent out the newer model drums, all for free.

Might still be worth going that route if you order the Band Hero kit.

#45 whitereflection

whitereflection

Shake well before serving

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Also, thanks OP for putting together the list in the first posting...I picked up the Band Hero kit from New Egg just in case my RB drums break. For $40, that's not too bad of a deal. Worst case, I can give it to a friend for X-mas.

Did you check Gamestop first? If you only wanted the drums, you could have gotten the PS2 Band Hero kit for $20 - the instruments for PS2 and PS3 are the same.

#46 abhinav

abhinav

"Scooty Puff Jr. sucks!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

All I want is a cheap 360 pro guitar, why is that so hard? /end bitching

#47 Ndolger

Ndolger

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

Price drops!

- Keyboard dropped from $26-ish to $24.99
- Pro Guitar dropped from $43 to $35; emailed Amazon for a price adjustment and they did it ("I've requested a refund of $8.41")...very fast too!
- Midi Pro Adapter dropped $2!

Collections: Anime - Games

#48 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

got the guitar thanks op
Posted Image

#49 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Anyone think the Rock Band Keyboard for the Xbox 360 will go lower? I have $23 in credit and I would love it if I could pay less out of pocket. Thanks again.

#50 WindyCityGamer

WindyCityGamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

That is a link to RB1, not RB3...

Hmm that's odd. It doesn't go to the Warehouse Deals either. Sorry if I screwed up.

Anyway, Amazon has RB3 back in stock (just the game) for $31 (so free shipping).
http://www.amazon.co..._1?s=videogames

IMO, people would be better off waiting til a copy shows up at the Warehouse Deals, but sometimes instant (or instant-ish) gratification needs to be filled.

[edit] Hmm... looking through what's available, for $40 you can even get the game with the keyboard (so only a few dollars more than the $31 deal above).
http://www.amazon.co..._2?s=videogames

Edited by WindyCityGamer, 26 December 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#51 WindyCityGamer

WindyCityGamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

All I want is a cheap 360 pro guitar, why is that so hard? /end bitching

If there's a Goodwill store (or something similiar) near you, I've seen GH and RB controllers there for like $3.

#52 WindyCityGamer

WindyCityGamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Is this true? Because the MIDI Pro Adapter clearly has a setting for "Guitar". Can you post a link from somewhere?

http://en.wikipedia....ent_controllers

The "guitar" setting is for the RB3 pro guitar.

If you want to use a regular guitar, you'll have to go with RockSmith (does it use MIDI guitars? I never even checked).

#53 DarkonJohn

DarkonJohn

Growing backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

Just an FYI:

The Band Hero kit comes with the older style Guitar Hero drums...BUT you can put in a support ticket with Activision for a replacement pair (if your old style ones break). I had a broken set out of the box where the wire was frayed. They paid for shipping and sent out the newer model drums, all for free.

Might still be worth going that route if you order the Band Hero kit.

Thanks for the post!

I had an older Guitar Hero band set before and the wire between the foot pedal and the main set basically fell apart (the rubbing coating deteriorated and the wire got screwed up). I bought this as a backup set, but I'll make sure to double-check the cord soon just to make sure I get it covered under warranty if it's messed up like the old one.

Are there any other differences between the old and newer versions of the GH drum set?
Posted Image

#54 DarkonJohn

DarkonJohn

Growing backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

Did you check Gamestop first? If you only wanted the drums, you could have gotten the PS2 Band Hero kit for $20 - the instruments for PS2 and PS3 are the same.

Thanks for the tip, but I don't mind having the extra guitar just in case my other one starts to get glitchy.
Posted Image

#55 whitereflection

whitereflection

Shake well before serving

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:21 AM

No, I meant the whole kit is the same except for the game. The PS2 bundle includes a guitar too.

#56 DarkonJohn

DarkonJohn

Growing backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

No, I meant the whole kit is the same except for the game. The PS2 bundle includes a guitar too.

Oh...in that case, I guess I overpaid by $20. Oh well, $40 still isn't the worst deal in the world. Hopefully someone else will benefit from your post though.
Posted Image

#57 Gamer_Boy14

Gamer_Boy14

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

For anyone who received the pro guitar already, does it add a lot to the gameplay? I've had RB3 since launch and I'm a bit bored with it right now (mostly playing Blitz), but I'm considering purchasing this if it'll really re-freshen the game.

#58 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thanks again OP! GoHastings has the keyboard brand new for $27 shipped! I had $23 in credit from a previous trade in so it was about $5 out of pocket. I can sell off the game to a friend to make it even cheaper. I can't wait to wrap my head around it. Question though? If the price drops, would they refund me the difference?

#59 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

If you want to learn guitar just get Rocksmith and a cheap real guitar. What are you even going to do with this guitar if you start learning and become more interested? You'll just have to still buy a real one anyway.

The keyboard is really fun though and even without pro mode it's still cool. On hard and up many songs really feel like you're playing it.

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)