UPDATE:Guild Wars 2 Digital Deluxe Version $45 at Guildwars2.com, ends 12/24 12PM PST

poet17eric

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Now extended to the 24th if anyone is interested.

www.guildwars2.com/en/wizard-promo/

The Digital Deluxe Edition of Guild Wars 2 includes the following in-game items:

Summon Mistfire Wolf Elite Skill: Summon a deadly Mistfire Wolf, a spectral animal with unique powers of her own.
Miniature Rytlock: He may not even reach your character's knees, but this tiny miniature Rytlock still has all the spirit and ferocity of the charr!
Chalice of Glory: This chalice provides your character with Glory, which they can use to unlock PvP rewards (single use).
Tome of Influence: Boost your guild's influence with this sacred book (single use).
Golem Banker: An automated manservant that allows you to access you storage account from anywhere for 5 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think it was worth it for the collectors edition beautiful world and music and I got my awesome rytlock statue.

Been mulling over this all weekend. I still don't have a computer good enough to run this, but still tempted to buy it now.

i know it has changed some since launch but from what i remember...

game is pretty solo oriented from lvls 1-35 well till 40 really because the lvl ~30 dungeon was hell and most people skipped it. There are/weren't any classes by standard definition save for DPS. Now all classes had like a "sub" role (Guardian could handle more incoming damage than a necromancer. But the necromancer could debuff a good amount for an example).

The game has a good sense of humor. Listen to some of the little banter npc's have XD
story for the most part is... forgettable. I did enjoy the (forget their name) the lil gremlin people story arch but it wasn’t a driving force for me any way to see the quest line though.

oh yeah. LOTS of area to explore! You feel like you are traveling a hell of a long way in this game. well, imho any way and having not played since like a month after launch. Keep meaning to hop back on.

Picked this up yesterday and I've already put 10+ hours into it. It's a decent deal for the deluxe edition if any of the bonuses catch your eye.

Don't get suckered into overpaying for GW2 because of this 'deluxe' edition. The Wolf elite skill is garbage; nobody uses it other than aesthetics in town. The mini is just a pet to follow you around and the game offers far better minis you can buy on the TP. The other three are worthless consumable items that offer insignificant bonuses.

Other than that, the game has no endgame other than zerg pvp and grinding dungeons for transmog gear (you can craft the best gear yourself). Go in knowing the journey is 1-80, so treat it as a 30-40 hour game. The game is actually quite good up until that point though. Since I've gone back to wow, I haven't been back on GW2 but once for the Halloween event and that was only for a couple hours.

I've heard good things about Guild wars, but I don't think I want to pay actual money to buy a "freemium" game.

[quote name='Jodou']Don't get suckered into overpaying for GW2 because of this 'deluxe' edition. The Wolf elite skill is garbage; nobody uses it other than aesthetics in town. The mini is just a pet to follow you around and the game offers far better minis you can buy on the TP. The other three are worthless consumable items that offer insignificant bonuses.

Other than that, the game has no endgame other than zerg pvp and grinding dungeons for transmog gear (you can craft the best gear yourself). Go in knowing the journey is 1-80, so treat it as a 30-40 hour game. The game is actually quite good up until that point though. Since I've gone back to wow, I haven't been back on GW2 but once for the Halloween event and that was only for a couple hours.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a bunch of hate from a wow fanboy. If you can still play that lackluster game with cookie cutter talent trees and after that trash expansion cataclysm more power to you. What do you do in wow when you hit max level? you do the same thing over and over and grind dailies...I played wow since before burning crusade came out and to the end of cataclysm so I think I know what im talking about as well. If it aint broke dont fix it its too bad blizzard doesnt go by those words.

GW2 is a game you can put down and come back to again and again since its FREE you dont have to worry about a monthly subscription either. And to "Dont get suckered into overpaying" thats funny considering you buy it and its yours forever. You can say the exact same thing about wow at its endgame as well.

i'm wondering, can we purchase this and add the key to an existing account - would it increase the character slots?

Im still undecided, I played the orgina guild wars and just couldnt get into it. If I pick this up I hope I get addicted ;)
addictr

Guild Wars 2 is great but the end game arguements are somewhat justified.

Once you hit level 80 you can do the following -

100% the map - This includes doing all hearts, vistas (assassins creed like view points), Points of Interest and Waypoints. I'm not sure if the exact time to do all this as I haven't but i heard in the range of 150+ hours maybe more if that is your main focus.

Story line - If you didn't play the storyline from the get go that's a good 20+ hours. Biggest problem for me was I never finished it because the final mission requires 3 other people to help you complete your storyline via dungeon. Other then that it was fun.

WvW/PvP - Which as Jodou said is basically a zerg rush. He is correct that the PvP does kinda suck, but it is fun for awhile and honestly what game has had good PvP recently? Not much, I stick with RTS/1v1 fighters for PVP.

Jumping Puzzles - There are over 30 jumping puzzles to complete. They can be time consuming

Professions - Like other MMOs there are professions to do. Very time consuming.

The Sims Gear Grinding - Unlike other MMOs, you must grind away to get good looking gear rather then OP gears. So in a sense It's all cosmetic, this is the same as WOW just It's cosmetic rather then powerful for the end game/needed for raids.

Dungeon Crawl - There are dungeons to rape.

Events - FREE events every so many months to participate in. Not bad for a one time pay to play forever (till the servers are gone anyways).

Make another character/race - Each race has their own unique story and twists on things. Each class is unique enough to warrant another creation. Hit 80 with your Elementalist? Go make a Warrior.

Farm, Farm, Farm - You can ultimately (like every other MMO) farm stuff till your hearts content and sell it on the auction house if that's your desire.

Achivements - Ties into all the above, but there are achivements for x amount of kills, x amount of experience without dieing, x amount of PvP/WvW kills.

My wife has put a good 500+ hours into this game and hasn't gotten bored yet. I probably put in close to 200 before it started to wear on me. It has enough content to keep you busy for awhile and is definitely worth the admission price. If your looking for something to keep you busy 40+ hours a week for a long period of time I'd recommend Everquest or WoW as those games will ultimately have more content (Evequest 1 for example has 18 expansions. Good luck "finishing" that game). I've tried the Star Wars, WoW, Everquest 1 free to play and so many other trials yet I keep coming back to Guild Wars 2.

[quote name='CurseWater']GW2 is a game you can put down and come back to again and again since its FREE you dont have to worry about a monthly subscription either. And to "Dont get suckered into overpaying" thats funny considering you buy it and its yours forever. You can say the exact same thing about wow at its endgame as well.[/QUOTE]

I love Guild Wars 2's business model. I used to play World of Warcraft extensively (Bosamba, a shaman troll created back in 2005, is where my weird forum name comes from. I think he's still on Echo Isles.). By having a monthly fee I felt compelled to play as much as I could to extract the most value out of the $15/month I was spending. Arena Net doing away with that allowed me to not play as much and still feel like I got my money's worth.

not a bad deal, i bought this game since launch but i havent been able to play it much which is ok for me (none of my characters are at max level yet)

If you're going to rush to cap level then ur gonna miss out on what Guild Wars 2 has to offer, and it's best played with at least one more person since you might get destroyed in certain quests

all in all a great game since you will find probably over 30 hours of gameplay if ur in it for just the story and then you can add on a few dozen hours or so if u plan to stick around after completing ONE character

I am so upset, I just missed this sale! Had I known I would've bought it in a heartbeat! The price of $60 was the only thing holding me back. Now I feel like I should just wait til the price drops again... :whistle2:(

[quote name='CurseWater']Sounds like a bunch of hate from a wow fanboy. If you can still play that lackluster game with cookie cutter talent trees and after that trash expansion cataclysm more power to you. What do you do in wow when you hit max level? you do the same thing over and over and grind dailies...I played wow since before burning crusade came out and to the end of cataclysm so I think I know what im talking about as well. If it aint broke dont fix it its too bad blizzard doesnt go by those words.

GW2 is a game you can put down and come back to again and again since its FREE you dont have to worry about a monthly subscription either. And to "Dont get suckered into overpaying" thats funny considering you buy it and its yours forever. You can say the exact same thing about wow at its endgame as well.[/QUOTE]
My only point was GW2 has no staying power, whereas WoW is all about making you stick around at endgame. Different business models, different goals. Sadly, GW2 is a game you can put down and never come back to again. There's simply no allure or reason to keep playing after you've seen all it has to offer. Also, GW2 has no world PvP (sorry, WvW does not count; just another glorified battleground) which was pretty disappointing.

Oh and the dungeons in GW2 are terrible. For the first two months, Anet was patching exploits all over the place and making them worse from a balance standpoint. They went from a light, fun grind while leveling to overtuned and awful experiences. 100% of my experience with them were PUGs, but even with BiS gear some were hard for all the wrong reasons. No threat table and lack of proper CC being chief among them.

GW2, to me, is a game for people that have never burnt out on MMOs or simply enjoy the MMO genre and play any that come along.

As someone who has played many MMOs in the past and burnt out after WoW, I have a hard time sticking w/ GW2 because of the following:

1. It has a story just to say it has a story. It's not as story driven as TOR which is all about the story.

2. "GUILD" Wars and yet the game feels totally absent of any "guild" cohesion.

3. WoW encouraged the "social" part of MMOs, you grew to be a part of Azeroth. GW2, on the other hand, feels a lot like Demon's Souls' social-aspect. It's solo but if you want help or someone to join, you do it for something in particular and part ways. It never really feels like you're befriending anyone.

4. The trade system / towns / items are all overwhelmingly, yet needlessly, complicated.

All in all, from the eyes of an MMO burnout, GW2 just doesn't have anything special about it to make you take the plunge back into an MMO space. Especially in an MMO that doesn't excel in ANY of the "grinds" that make MMOs popular.

Son of a bitch! I had to stay late at work and just got home now, tried to buy it and they just changed the price back to $59.99. Fuuuuuuuu......!!!!!

bread's done
Back