Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#3721 bloodling

bloodling

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

I don't understand how a game like DOTA 2 could possibly make more money by being F2P. Are they just being generous or do they seriously think it would bring in more money?

#3722 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

I don't understand how a game like DOTA 2 could possibly make more money by being F2P. Are they just being generous or do they seriously think it would bring in more money?

You must be unfamiliar with the TF2 hat market. Valve makes a killing on those microtransactions. Dota 2 has tons of hats, outfits, weapon skins, courier skins, silly voice files, etc. It's a gold mine.

#3723 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

ROFL, I'm sure I find this funnier than most of you but while playing Blades of Time in the Brutal Lands (a very snowy cold place) Ayumi remarks, "I wouldn't mind having a cup of hot coffee right now" (Not sure ya'll get the GTA:SA reference).

Not sure about that. I haven't played Rainbow 6 Vegas in a while, but I'd say it more similar to Ghost Recon. Team based tactical shooter type dealio.

Thanks. I don't think I've played that genre.

SC games are WAY MORE stealth-orientated "action" games, mostly....
Well, that's a little bit more questionable {on the stealthy-part} on Conviction, BTW. ;)

Rainbow 6 games are MUCH more tactical and they are actually shooters.
I really liked R6 Vegas 1 + 2.

I kind of sucked at GRAW1 - never finished.
Never even installed or began GRAW2.

EDIT:
If you like SC games for their stealth-orientated gameplay, you should be looking at Hitman series; Thief series; & Dishonored.

Thanks for the Vegas 1 & 2 recommend.

You must be unfamiliar with the TF2 hat market. Valve makes a killing on those microtransactions. Dota 2 has tons of hats, outfits, weapon skins, courier skins, silly voice files, etc. It's a gold mine.

The hat market even seems to be creeping into here. =D

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#3724 bloodling

bloodling

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

Even if the game wasn't F2P, they'd still sell those items and lots of people would still buy them. They wouldn't sell as many, but they'd get a ton of money if they just sold the game 5 dollars or something.

#3725 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Even if the game wasn't F2P, they'd still sell those items and lots of people would still buy them. They wouldn't sell as many, but they'd get a ton of money if they just sold the game 5 dollars or something.

Ultimately they'll get more by making it F2P -- the item prices are fairly high and there are a LOT of items. There are some people who wouldn't spend a dime on DOTA 2 (given the original was a free mod... so long as you had WC3). It was the best way to get the community to move over to Valve wholesale.

#3726 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

I imagine it's the same mentality that makes these Steam sales work. I will probably never play Stronghold, Dawn of War, Call of Juarez, Two Worlds II, Empire Total War or Hard Reset, but I own them all because they were cheap as hell at the time. I'll eventually try DOTA 2, once it's free and easy as pie to get access to, if I had to pay even a nickel for it, I'd never bother.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#3727 Jon7

Jon7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

Their main competitor is League of Legends which is also free to play. If they want to compete and attract people from that game they had to make Dota 2 F2P.

#3728 bloodling

bloodling

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

If someone isn't willing to pay for DOTA 2, I doubt they're willing to pay much for decorative in-game items. I guess that since League of Legends is F2P, it made more sense to make DOTA 2 F2P as well, but I just don't understand why League of Legends was F2P in the first place.

#3729 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

If someone isn't willing to pay for DOTA 2, I doubt they're willing to pay much for decorative in-game items.

Years of research and sales data disagree with you. People are much, much more likely to drop a few bucks on a game they tried out because it was free than they are to spend 3-5 times as much to buy the game in the first place. This is why you see a lot of games trying to nickle and dime with DLC, and I suspect why we're seeing such good sales on a lot of base games not long after launch these days.

Article about TF2's massive revenue spike after going F2P: http://www.strategyi...es-more-revenue
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#3730 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

Never underestimate how much people will pay on useless virtual junk. The hardest part of getting someone to play your game is getting them in the door. Free gets people in the door. Charging for they have to really want it.

Then once you have a captive audience you put all the junk food and trashy magazines near the checkout and profit.

#3731 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

I don't know how I almost missed that GMG deal on Sleeping Dogs. I've never bought anything on that site, but I have received a bunch of free stuff from them and accumulated $8 credit. So they could of paid me $0.10 to take Sleeping Dogs or I could have given them $3.90 and received $6 credit. I choose the latter. Pretty awesome deal.
Posted Image

#3732 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

If someone isn't willing to pay for DOTA 2, I doubt they're willing to pay much for decorative in-game items. I guess that since League of Legends is F2P, it made more sense to make DOTA 2 F2P as well, but I just don't understand why League of Legends was F2P in the first place.

That is the same as asking why would a game like Heroes of Newerth, or HoN, not be F2P (is it now or is it completely dead now?) or asking why there is "Apple Tax" or a massively cheaper equivalent item. They are all strategies to try and sell either a product or a service. The only reason any of them are the way they are is because some figured it would be a good idea and ultimately be more profitable.

Had all games from day one been F2P and now Pay-2-Play games were coming out you would be asking the exact opposite question.

#3733 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

Exactly. Gaben knows what he's doing... at least in terms of making a ton of money.

#3734 bloodling

bloodling

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

Sure, they are going to get a lot more money from those in-game items, but they will of course lose the money that lots of gamers would've gladly paid for the game. I guess it kind of equals out in the end. And I do understand that since LoL is free, it was a much easier decision for them. I guess I was just doubtful about this since personally, I never buy those items.

#3735 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:34 AM

Sure, they are going to get a lot more money from those in-game items, but they will of course lose the money that lots of gamers would've gladly paid for the game. I guess it kinds of equals out in the end. And I do understand that since LoL is free, it was a much easier decision for them. I guess I was just doubtful about this since personally, I never buy those items.

I know someone personally that has spent $100 or more dollars, I don't know the exact amount but it is at least $100, on League of Legends. What F2P has that the other doesn't is that while many won't pay anything the games allow those that do to ultimately pay way more than had it been an outright retail release with no dlc.

#3736 bloodling

bloodling

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

I know someone personally that has spent $100 or more dollars, I don't know the exact amount but it is at least $100, on League of Legends. What F2P has that the other doesn't is that while many won't pay anything the games allow those that do to ultimately pay way more than had it been an outright retail release with no dlc.

Those people would've most likely bought the game anyway. I can't imagine someone spending so much on that stuff, but not willing to pay for the game. But I do understand all the other arguments and I thank you guys for explaining them to me.

#3737 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

Bah, I still got Thief 2: The Metal Age (Retail copy on discs) from Thief Collection in my backlog. :-x

EDIT:
You seriously wouldn't believe my backlog.
Some if it even includes Starcraft: Battle Chest + StarCraft 2 are on there (Retail); Homeworld 1 & 2 (Retail discs).

You ain't played Starcraft? I bought it on launch and played for years!

#3738 slowpc

slowpc

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

I bought those LONG ago at Retail.
I ain't seen them anywhere digitally for sale. :(

Still have my old homeworld beta CD someone in this collection I got. What a great game.

#3739 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

Sure, they are going to get a lot more money from those in-game items, but they will of course lose the money that lots of gamers would've gladly paid for the game. I guess it kind of equals out in the end. And I do understand that since LoL is free, it was a much easier decision for them. I guess I was just doubtful about this since personally, I never buy those items.

Yeah, but $3.00 or less is the price point for most people's stupid button. If they charge $10.00 for DOTA 2, people will go "Well... I mean LoL is free, I've got this big backlog, etc." If DOTA 2 is free, and they're playing it, having a good time, and a pop up says "Hey, buy this awesome cool hat for $1.50 right now!" A lot of people will go, "What's a buck fifty? Gimme that hat!" Money is made. It's virtual junk, they'll probably never do anything with it, but it was only a dollar fifty.

If you need proof of this mentality, please visit the Avatar market on XBL.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3740 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

so far I've only bought Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas. Come on Steam, glitch out so I can buy again. :bouncy:
Still waiting for the holiday sale to start......
Spoiler

spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#3741 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

so far I've only bought Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas. Come on Steam, glitch out so I can buy again. :bouncy:
Still waiting for the holiday sale to start......

Spoiler

Have to agree. I don't know if it shows how weak the sale is or how sick I am, but I've been sitting here for two days going, "I wish there was something really cool to buy..." Everything I've purchased has been Amazon or GOG, other than the Splinter Cell bundle for $11.00.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3742 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

Have yet to buy anything from Steam this sale. Bought Fear 1 from Amazon and Serious Sam Franchise shortly before the bigger stuff kicked off.

#3743 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

I just got my one year of service badge, so it's kind of fitting that I had one of those Steam veteran moments (I think it's safe to say it's one) where I saw that Sequence is $1.24 and I thought, hmmm, that's not a bad price, I'll pick it up, only to find out I had already bought it. I know it's blasphemy, but I really need to make a dent in my backlog before the Summer Sale.

Workin on it

#3744 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

Steam just isn't what it used to be ... competition has undercut them and I think they're getting soft from being on top for too long. Funny thing is, everything still activates on Steam, you just buy it elsewhere for less ... is this the virtual equivalent of the Best Buy "Amazon show room" effect?

#3745 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

Steam just isn't what it used to be ... competition has undercut them and I think they're getting soft from being on top for too long. Funny thing is, everything still activates on Steam, you just buy it elsewhere for less ... is this the virtual equivalent of the Best Buy "Amazon show room" effect?

Yep, this thread should be called The Games That Activate on Steam Deal Thread.

#3746 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

I just got my one year of service badge, so it's kind of fitting that I had one of those Steam veteran moments (I think it's safe to say it's one) where I saw that Sequence is $1.24 and I thought, hmmm, that's not a bad price, I'll pick it up, only to find out I had already bought it. I know it's blasphemy, but I really need to make a dent in my backlog before the Summer Sale.

I have 165 Steam games, I've beaten four of them. I guess I can't really beat games like Telltale Poker (0.99 on sale!), but still... I'm out of control.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3747 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

I feel pressured by my CAG peers to bit on the DoW pack @ $10. From some reading DoW1 seems to be standard RTS faire. DoW2 seems to be a more tactical game. Is this correct? Are they worth it for single player?

Yes, DoW is the "standard" RTS and DoW2 is more tactical. I never played Multiplayer (besides Last Standalone on the free weekend, and was GREAT) and can tell you that if you like that kind of game you will love singleplayer. Everything is AWESOME on the WH universe. I loved Space Hulk back then... going through shadow of the hornet rat (very difficult game)... and back to 40k with DoW/DoW2 series. I'm thinking seriously about grabing this pack, besides already having 3 of those games on steam (I still haven't played Retribution, and the $ diff is ridiculous... and all DLC and the old games, which I owned retail but lost them)

Rainbow 6 games are MUCH more tactical and they are actually shooters.
I really liked R6 Vegas 1 + 2.

I kind of sucked at GRAW1 - never finished.
Never even installed or began GRAW2.

Can't recommend RS:V1 on Windows 7. Played V2 and loved that game, so I bought V1. Getting that game to run is really awful... and then going back to desktop so often. I believe is because compability, maybe on Win XP it works fine

You should play GRAW2, is a better game than 1. If you can stand old graphics, the firsts Ghost recon is really great... and difficult. Is the best of the series IMHO

#3748 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

All I know is I was on my phone earlier and I kept seeing this a bunch of times.

Posted Image

Say what you want about the sale as a whole and it may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's still a great deal.

#3749 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

I'll admit, although I have zero interest in modern RTS games, the DoW pack was the first great deal I've seen on Steam.

#3750 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

I'll admit, although I have zero interest in modern RTS games, the DoW pack was the first great deal I've seen on Steam.

I concur

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png