Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#4891 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

My pet theory on the pricing of DD PC games. Won't be useful to most folks so probably worth skipping:

Spoiler

Very interesting. I understand the industry not wanting Steam going unchallenged but as long as they are doing this pricing stuff with Steam keys then the players still remain in the Steam ecosystem which is the biggest boon to Valve.

Any time that I make a digital purchase on PSN or XBLA or various other non-Steam/non-Desura services I am quickly reminded how much of a time-saver it is to have the most current version of a game download all patched and ready to go as an 'image' rather than the absolute clusterfuck of something like PSN. (download 3GB game only to have it need to be installed and then patched with a conveniently sized 3GB patch)

That's why I seek out Steam and Desura keys because I'm lazy and spoiled and not in the mood to hunt down patches or re-download entire games due to an update. (which can still happen on Steam and Desura depending on how the game is structured)

I'm not loyal; I'm lazy.;)
sudo mklove

#4892 Teeheehee

Teeheehee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Anyone know what's in the Sega Classic pack in the Sonic bundle? I already have Sonic Generations and Sonic CD, so the bundle is a no go for me. I am interested in getting a copy of Sonic1-3 + Knuckles and Sonic Adventures 2 someday though.

#4893 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

I keep telling myself that $14 for a bottle of Grey Goose is a better buy than Mission Runway, and I need to stay away from all computers on New Year's Eve and the day after to prevent myself from getting it.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#4894 sixheavens

sixheavens

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Waiting for $10 as well.

I guess it's possible but I doubt it. They already knocked the price down $2 for a flash sale and it's selling very well.

#4895 nategator

nategator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Very interesting. I understand the industry not wanting Steam going unchallenged but as long as they are doing this pricing stuff with Steam keys then the players still remain in the Steam ecosystem which is the biggest boon to Valve.

Any time that I make a digital purchase on PSN or XBLA or various other non-Steam/non-Desura services I am quickly reminded how much of a time-saver it is to have the most current version of a game download all patched and ready to go as an 'image' rather than the absolute clusterfuck of something like PSN. (download 3GB game only to have it need to be installed and then patched with a conveniently sized 3GB patch)

That's why I seek out Steam and Desura keys because I'm lazy and spoiled and not in the mood to hunt down patches or re-download entire games due to an update. (which can still happen on Steam and Desura depending on how the game is structured)

I'm not loyal; I'm lazy.;)

I am surprised Steam allows competitors to undercut its pricing, frankly. A different company would have never let its competitors be able to issue codes piggybacking on its service.

My best guess of the reason why is (a) Valve as a privately held company actually believes in providing the gaming community the best possible experience even though they sacrifice some short-term profit and/or (b) Valve is dedicated to playing the long game of eventually becoming a near-console with its Linux and Big Picture projects, thus owning the PC gaming industry. This would allow Valve to not only dictate PC DD standards as it does now (ex: Origin & Uplay) but also PC hardware standards, for the benefit of us all as our benevolent master.

Steam Keys for sale:

SotS Complete Collection (does not inc. SotS II) $4 Paypal

#4896 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

I just realized I could have bought the family pack for $5.00 and gotten Mission Runway with Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader, Dr. Daisy Pet Vet, and Hot Dish. I'm a fail CAG.

Also, I'm half hoping that Valve/ValuSoft sees a slight upswing in sales for Mission Runway and make it into a daily/flash sale. That would make my Christmas.

Edit: I keep wanting to call it Project Runway.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#4897 starscream1101

starscream1101

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

I keep telling myself that $14 for a bottle of Grey Goose is a better buy than Mission Runway, and I need to stay away from all computers on New Year's Eve and the day after to prevent myself from getting it.

I'm still working on a 1.75L bottle of Absolute from last week. Treats me well :D Not a fan of the Grey Goose.

Back on topic, I've used Nexus (started back on Fallout 3, New Vegas and then Skyrim), but haven't used Steamworks yet. I have tons of graphics mods for Skyrim through Nexus...if I get Steamworks mods....is that gonna compatiblity issues? Or should I stick with Nexus mods or Steamworks...

#4898 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

I am surprised Steam allows competitors to undercut its pricing, frankly. A different company would have never let its competitors be able to issue codes piggybacking on its service.

Isn't that a bit like saying that Walmart can't have sales/discounts on Amazon or Best Buy (etc.) gift cards? The Steam Store (not the DRM aspect) is just another retailer.

#4899 Taren Fox

Taren Fox

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

Waiting for $10 as well.

Bah. I hate buying a game just so I can play a mod. D: Probably gonna bite the bullet.

#4900 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Not a fan of the Grey Goose.

French vodka :roll:

#4901 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

I'm still working on a 1.75L bottle of Absolute from last week. Treats me well :D Not a fan of the Grey Goose.

Back on topic, I've used Nexus (started back on Fallout 3, New Vegas and then Skyrim), but haven't used Steamworks yet. I have tons of graphics mods for Skyrim through Nexus...if I get Steamworks mods....is that gonna compatiblity issues? Or should I stick with Nexus mods or Steamworks...

You can mix and match just fine. I do.

The graphic mods pretty much have to be Nexus because they are HUGE. Also they don't really interfere with much. They just replace textures is all.

#4902 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

I missed the Sonic Complain Train but come one Steam. I wanted Generations at 7.50 like the Summer sale, but now it's a no-buy. Also Steam needs to put Dark Souls up tomorrow at $15 or I'll be heading over to Amazon.

Don't worry, my friend - The Sonic Complain Train is out of the station, but you can still hop on; $14.99 is an abysmal sale price compared to the countless times Sonic Generations has been $7.49.

One of my kids is a Sonic fan... he loves Sonic Adventure DX... is Sonic Adventure 2 good? How is the port? Is the DLC worth?

This is the only thing I'd like to know before taking the plunge - If the port is as bad as Sonic Adventure DX, then I'd rather dig out my Dreamcast. If it's at least the same level of quality as Jet Set Radio, then I'm sold.

Anyone know what's in the Sega Classic pack in the Sonic bundle? I already have Sonic Generations and Sonic CD, so the bundle is a no go for me. I am interested in getting a copy of Sonic1-3 + Knuckles and Sonic Adventures 2 someday though.

I don't think it matters anymore, since the SEGA Classics entry has, after about 3 hours of being advertised as part of the bundle, vanished.

#4903 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I use both and all is well. As long as you have the load order set properly and observe any noted conflicts you should be fine mixing and matching.
sudo mklove

#4904 nategator

nategator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Isn't that a bit like saying that Walmart can't have sales/discounts on Amazon or Best Buy (etc.) gift cards? The Steam Store (not the DRM aspect) is just another retailer.

Best analogy I can make is when Apple owned the digital music DRM and prohibited competitors from using the same.

https://en.wikipedia...sic_on_the_iPod

It took music companies abandoning DRM in order for anyone else to get market share. And apple still pretty much owns digital music.

I think that's how most companies act in a similar circumstance. For example, Microsoft owns the .doc standard and made it difficult for any other word processing competitors to create .doc files or open .doc files perfectly, locking in most customers and charging them massively more than what the software was worth.

Valve is kinda like Google with search. Google gives away Android even though they are probably losing some short-term revenue in order to own search.

Steam Keys for sale:

#4905 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Which is all well and good (and I bought two copies) but doesn't answer the question.

Because if it was 66% off in thanksgiving, it probably will be as a daily deal again, which means the DLC will probably be cheaper than it is now.

There are three price trackers in my sig. Make sure you check the DLC specifically, sometimes the base goes on sale but the DLC does not.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#4906 kataztrophik

kataztrophik

Rochambeau! I win.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Don't worry, my friend - The Sonic Complain Train is out of the station, but you can still hop on; $14.99 is an abysmal sale price compared to the countless times Sonic Generations has been $7.49.

Makes me glad I grabbed one of those AMD Brazil Facebook codes, otherwise I'd be right there with you on that Sonic Complain Train.

#4907 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

There are three price trackers in my sig. Make sure you check the DLC specifically, sometimes the base goes on sale but the DLC does not.

People need to bookmark your sig. lol

76561198003417354.png

Steam: kagegao | XBL: MC Kage | The BackLoggery

WTB: - Xbox 360 S/E (with 250GB HDD or more) for Cheap

-GoW3, Halo 4, Halo Wars, GTA V, BF4

#4908 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

I have sigs off. Too cluttering.

#4909 nategator

nategator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

I have sigs off. Too cluttering.

Really? I think sigs are highly important and people should focus on them as much as they do the post. Especially if they have some spare paypal cash lying around...

Steam Keys for sale:

#4910 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Makes me glad I grabbed one of those AMD Brazil Facebook codes, otherwise I'd be right there with you on that Sonic Complain Train.

I certainly tried. Between that and the Beth pack, my F5 key hates me.

fs_overall.png

#4911 Cojack426

Cojack426

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Debating whether I should pick up They Bleed Pixels along with Half-minute Hero since I have not bought anything from the steam sale yet.

#4912 kaydigi

kaydigi

BK All Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

This is the only thing I'd like to know before taking the plunge - If the port is as bad as Sonic Adventure DX, then I'd rather dig out my Dreamcast. If it's at least the same level of quality as Jet Set Radio, then I'm sold.

I don't think it matters anymore, since the SEGA Classics entry has, after about 3 hours of being advertised as part of the bundle, vanished.

Sonic Adventure 2 HD port is light years beyond the Sonic DX port (disc and download). I forbid my 8 year old from playing Sonic DX because the camera is so garbage.

You might look into the disc version of Sonic Hero's the port is good also.

#4913 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

New Flash Deals

Rayman Origins $10.19 66% off
Spec Ops the Line $10.19 66% off
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic $2.49 75% off
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2 $2.49 75% off

#4914 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

valve is officially trolling

#4915 kataztrophik

kataztrophik

Rochambeau! I win.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

I missed out on KOTOR2 for the autumn sale, so i dont mind...

#4916 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

I missed out on KOTOR2 for the autumn sale, so i dont mind...

You'll want this.:D

edit: Also, it should be noted that version 1.8.2 of the Restored Content Mod is set to come out on Friday the 28th so people should be prepared to do another round of applying stuffs soonish.
sudo mklove

#4917 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

You know, maybe I'm just a cheap bastard and I know it's Ubisoft and they too are cheap bastards but I feel like Rayman Origins should be $5 on sale by now.

Does the Steam version at least not have the shitty Tages DRM that the non-Steam versions do?

#4918 IronChariot

IronChariot

In My Country There Is Problem

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Gabe is hoarding the Steam coal this year.Posted Image

#4919 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

You know, maybe I'm just a cheap bastard and I know it's Ubisoft and they too are cheap bastards but I feel like Rayman Origins should be $5 on sale by now.

Does the Steam version at least not have the shitty Tages DRM that the non-Steam versions do?

3rd-party DRM: No 3rd Party DRM

Hilarious that they even list that...fucking Ubisoft.
sudo mklove

#4920 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hilarious that they even list that...fucking Ubisoft.

If you ask me that "3rd party DRM" field should be on every game page, even if the answer is none.

Some publishers, like Focus Home Interactive (Orcs and Men) like to sneak it in without mentioning it on the page.

They'd also need two lines because some dumbass publishers like Ubi put it two layers of 3rd party DRM in sometimes like they do with Anno 2070.

*sigh*