Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#5041 zubalove

zubalove

Old and In the Way

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

(inception horn)

bwam!

#5042 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

Chicks dig guys who argue on the internet.

#5043 XIGRIMxREAPERIX

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

Get your ears checked. I'm not jealous; I'm laughing at the ridiculous e-peen waving of accumulated UNPLAYED games people are boasting about. "Check me out, I've got 2000 games on my list! I'm so l337! No, I haven't played them. SHUT UP!!!! U jelly bro?!? lulz" Yeah, chicks dig guys with a couple of thousand unplayed videogames.

DUDE YOU GOT 2000 games!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WILL YOU BE MY FRIEND!! Dude your right I am so jelly of you! You are the 1337357 of them all!:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:
Posted Image

#5044 MrPiggles

MrPiggles

Better Call Saul

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

I don't really see where so much of the bandwagon hate for Origin comes from. While EA does have some pretty shady business practices, its also been proven that the "Origin is spyware" rant is BS. Origin does a bunch of things better than Steam, it has a better, working offline mode, it has a better messaging system (you can msg offline users), it was the first to allow you to select your install location (miracle for SSD users), it has a smoother, faster interface than Steam's, it gives you automatic backup copies for EA games you have installed, and it offers twitch.tv streaming. While at the end of the day I still prefer Steam over Origin since Steam's client has more features and better sales, but I don't really see where all of the hate comes from besides generic bandwagon "hurr durr EA" hate.

Get your ears checked. I'm not jealous; I'm laughing at the ridiculous e-peen waving of accumulated UNPLAYED games people are boasting about. "Check me out, I've got 2000 games on my list! I'm so l337! No, I haven't played them. SHUT UP!!!! U jelly bro?!? lulz" Yeah, chicks dig guys with a couple of thousand unplayed videogames.

Your jealousy really is starting to show now. You're just digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole.

#5045 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

I have a sudden craving for toast with butter and jelly...

#5046 XIGRIMxREAPERIX

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

I have a sudden craving for toast with butter and jelly...

make it Peanut butter!
Posted Image

#5047 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

You seem like you could use a nap.

#5048 sirius389

sirius389

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Ill second that.

But yeah, Steam is basically devolving into the 'DRM platform' of choice. Customer service wise they have always been poor. And now sales wise they are getting destroyed by Amazon, GG, etc.

Like I said earlier, eventually we should change this thread title to: Games That Activate on Steam Deal Thread.

Agreed. The best deals I have gotten so far haven't even been from Steam. :/
-Nicole

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5049 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

I don't really see where so much of the bandwagon hate for Origin comes from. While EA does have some pretty shady business practices, its also been proven that the "Origin is spyware" rant is BS. Origin does a bunch of things better than Steam, it has a better, working offline mode, it has a better messaging system (you can msg offline users), it was the first to allow you to select your install location (miracle for SSD users), it has a smoother, faster interface than Steam's, it gives you automatic backup copies for EA games you have installed, and it offers twitch.tv streaming. While at the end of the day I still prefer Steam over Origin since Steam's client has more features and better sales, I don't really see where do much of the hate comes from besides generic bandwagon "hurr durr EA" hate.

I can only speak for myself but... while I acknowledge Valve has gotten pretty lackluster in terms of service with Steam I'd ultimately rather give my money to a guy like Gabe Newell than EA -- a company that is a mere shadow of its former self way back in the 80's when they put developers first. Again, just my personal opinion but 90% or more of what EA puts out today is crap... or at least genres and games I have zero interest in playing. Not that Valve produces anything ground breaking but... on the average... I'd rather go with Valve.

#5050 veb

veb

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

I'm happy now that KOTOR 2's in my library. Been waiting for that baby! My first purchase (for myself) of the steam winter sale (not counting GG's besthesda most awesome screwup ever).

Eying that Rayman....why does it have to be 10 bucks sighs.

#5051 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

make it Peanut butter!

I ran out.

#5052 nategator

nategator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

Man, I wish the Winter Sale was good enough that the majority of posts would be actually about games on discount.

Steam Keys for sale:

SotS Complete Collection (does not inc. SotS II) $4 Paypal

#5053 SuiCide_KiNg_213

SuiCide_KiNg_213

DeAL ThIEF!

• CAGiversary!

:applause:

YEAH!:applause:

#5054 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Been a long time since EA published consistently good stuff such as...

Spoiler

#5055 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

I don't really see where so much of the bandwagon hate for Origin comes from. While EA does have some pretty shady business practices, its also been proven that the "Origin is spyware" rant is BS. Origin does a bunch of things better than Steam, it has a better, working offline mode, it has a better messaging system (you can msg offline users), it was the first to allow you to select your install location (miracle for SSD users), it has a smoother, faster interface than Steam's, it gives you automatic backup copies for EA games you have installed, and it offers twitch.tv streaming. While at the end of the day I still prefer Steam over Origin since Steam's client has more features and better sales, but I don't really see where all of the hate comes from besides generic bandwagon "hurr durr EA" hate.

I've got no problem with the Origin client, but outside of activating EA games there, it's not a platform that I want to start a collection on, largely because their sales are usually laughable. If I'm never going to utilize Origin outside of EA games, then I find it unnecessary but largely inoffensive - similar to my feelings about Uplay.

After Steam I think Gamefly's client might be my favorite, though I'd really like it if GOG had something on that level (as an optional program for organizational purposes - not as DRM).

#5056 MrPiggles

MrPiggles

Better Call Saul

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

I can only speak for myself but... while I acknowledge Valve has gotten pretty lackluster in terms of service with Steam I'd ultimately rather give my money to a guy like Gabe Newell than EA -- a company that is a mere shadow of its former self way back in the 80's when they put developers first. Again, just my personal opinion but 90% or more of what EA puts out today is crap... or at least genres and games I have zero interest in playing. Not that Valve produces anything ground breaking but... on the average... I'd rather go with Valve.

Valve is slowly getting a bit more... eccentric with their client. They're focusing so much on stuff like "Big Picture" mode and linux compatibility while ignoring the millions of smaller complaints (it took them several years just to add something like volume control to videos, and it took Origin for them to finally allow you to change your installation location.) They've focused too much on the big picture that they're ignoring the smaller pictures that should be fixed first.

I also really hate their support team. Takes forever to get a response on their dated ticket system, and they're pretty unhelpful most of the time.

#5057 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

Spoiler

What was your entry drug to EA? Mine was:

Spoiler

#5058 nategator

nategator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

Spoiler

I don't know about games but their advertising/marketing department was awesome back then. Just looking at the photo makes me want to buy it, whatever it is.

Steam Keys for sale:

SotS Complete Collection (does not inc. SotS II) $4 Paypal

#5059 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

You know I have had enough to drink at this point that I don't give two shits about this pro/anti Origin bitch fest. I have to say is Mission Runway and some alcohol is a good combo.

Spoiler

#5060 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

When I tried it, the metro start menu is just not good to use with mouse/keyboard, yes there are 3rd party apps you can use to hide it and everything, but they all want more money :P (luckily I only paid $15 for windows 8 so not a huge loss, when it does eventually work, if that ever happens, I will most likely use it on another build that isn't for gaming)

the deal-breaker was that a lot of my games just had compatibility issues. Beyond the metro start menu it is a skinned windows 7 that just breaks all your stuff you have come to use alot of apps/games.

is it pretty? yes, the visual appearance of W8 is great, at least to me

Does it work? No...just no. To me, W7 just works.

and Merry Christmas! to those who are celebrating tomorrow. If you don't then Happy Holidays to you :)

Ah, interesting. compatibility issues seem rampant, something we all saw coming with Win8. I love the functionality of Win7.

I had a few good drinks myself/

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#5061 CronO_O

CronO_O

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

wtb castle crashers going on sale slightly more. Haven't played it since it first came out and want to play it on pc with a bud /=

#5062 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

My main problem with Origin is that the one fucking game that I want on it never ever ever goes on sale on Steam and the Origin version is wallowing in this:

My pack or expansion DLC in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning isn't working. What do I do?

We are aware that sometimes your purchased DLC for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning may not activate (or function) properly. We're very sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

sudo mklove

#5063 Ignis

Ignis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

wtb castle crashers going on sale slightly more. Haven't played it since it first came out and want to play it on pc with a bud /=

It's has fun gameplay though repetive and short. Bought it full price on 360 and found it worth it.

#5064 forthenguyen

forthenguyen

Ah, didn't know that about the install location. I had built my computer right before the summer and I had it on my SSD. What do you mean by automatic backup copies for games? Do you mean save data? When I tried it, it seemed way buggier and more sluggish than Steam. A lot of the hate they get I'd say is justified, especially with the whole Online Pass things and how they have like 5 different sport franchises that follow the CoD business strategy - barely improve anything and call it a new game. Not only that, there was the whole day one, on-disc DLC fiasco which again is behavior I don't want to support. Again, my boycotting it and not supporting EA is more of a statement, because I don't want the others in the industry to follow their footsteps.

#5065 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

You know I have had enough to drink at this point that I don't give two shits about this pro/anti Origin bitch fest. I have to say is Mission Runway and some alcohol is a good combo.

Spoiler

What kind of alcohol?

#5066 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

I don't know about games but their advertising/marketing department was awesome back then. Just looking at the photo makes me want to buy it, whatever it is.

Yep, the idea was that the game developers were 'rockstars' so they made the games look like albums. In the inside 'jacket' they always featured big photos of the developers and included little blurbs about them. Don't have anything like that these days. More examples:

Spoiler

#5067 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

But yeah, Steam is basically devolving into the 'DRM platform' of choice. Customer service wise they have always been poor. And now sales wise they are getting destroyed by Amazon, GG, etc.

Like I said earlier, eventually we should change this thread title to: Games That Activate on Steam Deal Thread.

Thinking about it some, the way things are going does make a lot of sense. The earlier Steam sales were likely not just about encouraging people to buy more, but also raising awareness of Steam and getting more people to use it. The fantastic deals and minigame sorts of things was great for spreading word-of-mouth. Now that Steam has gotten as big as it has and controls such a large share of the PC gaming market, they can sit back some and don't have to offer as mindblowing of deals or as exciting of sales.

Meanwhile, we're starting to see retailers like Amazon taking Steam's initial approach by offering fantastic deals instead.

Edited by Cantatus, 25 December 2012 - 03:13 AM.

#5068 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

What kind of alcohol?

Pruno by the looks of those screens.

#5069 MrPiggles

MrPiggles

Better Call Saul

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:02 AM

What do you mean by automatic backup copies for games? Do you mean save data?.

Origin automatically scans your PC for EA games and registers the cd key onto your account, so you can download and play it on Origin as well as where you originally bought it. You can also just find the cd-key in the registry and reigster it on Origin as well. Basically any cd-key from an EA game that's sold on Origin can be registered on Origin, past or present. I registered my old copy of Simcity 4 and Battlefield 2 onto Origin.

#5070 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:02 AM

I got a 4 pack during the Thanksgiving sale (worked out to $3.75 a copy) -- just one thing to note the PC on-line community is completely non-existent.