Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#5071 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

Thinking about it some, the way things are going does make a lot of sense. The earlier Steam sales were likely not just about encouraging people to buy more, but also raising awareness of Steam and getting more people to use it. The fantastic deals and minigame sorts of things was great for spreading word-of-mouth. Now that Steam has gotten as big as it has and controls such a large share of the PC gaming market, they can sit back some and don't have to offer as mindblowing of deals or as exciting of sales.

Meanwhile, we're starting to see retails like Amazon taking Steam's initial approach by offering fantastic deals instead.

Yep. And keep in mind not everyone knows about places like GG or Amazon and such. Moreover, Steam rakes in the money from F2P microtransaction -- TF2 and Dota 2 are HUGE revenue generators for them. They don't even have to design the stuff. They let users do it and give them a percentage of the sales.

#5072 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

Can't get myself to pull the trigger on Skyrim dlc, it will likely be cheaper or at the same price when the new dragonborn dlc launches next year. Will probably pass even though it hurts a little XD .

#5073 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:07 AM

For those of you looking at Company of Heroes games, you can download 2 of the games soundtracks for free from the steam page below, whether you own the games or not. Which aren't available on the games individual pages for some reason:

http://store.steampo...?snr=1_4_4__800

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#5074 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

That's the thing. It's insidious! A silent killer! Twenty years from now it'll manifest itself and spring out of your belly, consuming you whole!

I actually got pretty screwed over by EA thanks to Origin for about a year since its released before my issue was mysteriously fixed without notification despite the number of times I opened, re-opened tickets and called them.

#5075 MrPiggles

MrPiggles

Better Call Saul

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

Can't get myself to pull the trigger on Skyrim dlc, it will likely be cheaper or at the same price when the new dragonborn dlc launches next year. Will probably pass even though it hurts a little XD .

I doubt it, Bethesda is pretty stingy with lowering their prices (except for the accidental GG bundle)

#5076 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

Get your ears checked. I'm not jealous; I'm laughing at the ridiculous e-peen waving of accumulated UNPLAYED games people are boasting about. "Check me out, I've got 2000 games on my list! I'm so l337! No, I haven't played them. SHUT UP!!!! U jelly bro?!? lulz" Yeah, chicks dig guys with a couple of thousand unplayed videogames.

Unprovoked bad-mouthing. Kudos to you, Dick Dirk. :applause:

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#5077 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

#5078 Blade

Blade

Butt Blamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

In light of all the bickering that happened earlier today in this thread, the Steam Workshop mods for Skyrim can provide you with TONS of additional content with no extra cost. Sure, you won't get the Vampire or Werewolf skill trees, but there are additional dungeons, dragons, boss battles, weapons, armor, towns, shouts, and whatever else you'd like available for free from the community. It's enough to not really make Dawnguard unnecessary at $10. I'm waiting for it to go lower myself.

You could get Hearthfire DLC for free in September by using a $5 off code on a certain website.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#5079 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:14 AM

:applause:

Posted Image

Factoid: Lynda Carter has provided voices for the last 3 Elder Scrolls games.

#5080 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

Clearly we need another Gamer's Gate pricing screw up to unite us all in the spirit of the Holidays.

#5081 Arben

Arben

notArtist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

Rap… metal… rap… metal… And Whitney Houston?!?!?

Spoiler

Do we really need to analyze to death how we spend 75 cents? *shrug*.

I suppose not. I just haven't heard of any of this stuff, and was hoping someone had a gem, or at least one they thought was cool enough to recommend. To seem sort-of-relavent to the sort-of-on-topic discussion of the last few pages, I don't necessarily collect just for collecting.

#5082 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

$0.75 = Two Darksiders 2 weapons or 3/4th the cost of SR3 pimp suit!

#5083 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

Well *I* consider La Mulana to be a gem. I just don't feel like writing up a doctoral dissertation about it right now. It has a lot of fans. So much so that they nerdrage every time Greenlight games are announced and La Mulana isn't on the list. I'm sure someone somewhere wrote up some TL;DRy stuff about it.

#5084 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

Pruno by the looks of those screens.

99.95% of the time I agree that forums "rating" systems are a joke. Once in a while I really regret that I can't rate someone up somehow.

#5085 Dragonsbane

Dragonsbane

Dr. StrangeCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

Any lists of games that I should buy that are under advertised, appreciated, rated? Usually see one ore more this time of season.
Dr. Strange CAG- Or how I learned to stop worrying and love cheap stuff.

Posted Image
Christianity: The belief that a Jewish cosmic zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree.

#5086 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

Mission Runway!

#5087 Senusret

Senusret

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:33 AM

Any lists of games that I should buy that are under advertised, appreciated, rated? Usually see one ore more this time of season.

Some little things have been trickling through here and there. For 1.24 a piece I picked up each of the Garshasp games. Seems like a little bit of Conan and God of War mixed together from the previews.

#5088 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:33 AM

Origin is the devil.

No. The Gentleman Below is way better in the sack.

I have a sudden craving for toast with butter and jelly...

Jam >> Jelly

What was your entry drug to EA? Mine was:

Spoiler

Pinball Construction Set (1983) I love pinball.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Though I would like to point at the best and largest open world RPG of the 1980s you've never heard of. It was truly massive and fit on two double sided floppies. (Apparently it used Run-Length Coding to fit it all in.)
Deathlord (1987) boasts a world of 16 continents, 128 unique monsters, and twenty dungeons

The Emperor's kingdom is under attack from the Deathlord's forces. The party must venture into Hell, defeat the Deathlord, and return. According to the box, seven words, six items, and the adventurers' incompetence stands in the way.
The plot is nonlinear and once the party fulfills the Emperor's initial quest of defeating the wizard beneath the castle, the party has no set activity. They must find items to protect themselves from acid, fire, darkness and magic walls, along with a special weapon that can defeat the Deathlord.

That's what you needed to do, explore the whole world with no guidance or handholding, only oblique hints by really outta-the-way NPCs. You needed to find the 7 words and six items. It never really told you that. "Seek the seven." "Find Senju"

There was no auto-mapping in those days, and an some of the dungeons required careful mapping and puzzle-deduction.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Yep. And keep in mind not everyone knows about places like GG or Amazon and such. Moreover, Steam rakes in the money from F2P microtransaction -- TF2 and Dota 2 are HUGE revenue generators for them. They don't even have to design the stuff. They let users do it and give them a percentage of the sales.

>.> I was surprised recently by the number of regular CAGs who didn't have a GG account.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#5089 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:38 AM

I'll bet both of you have completed more than 5%, maybe 10%, of those games. You just buy them and buy them and buy them and they crank up your game count as if anyone should be impressed by the amounts of disposable income you have. Congrats, guys, you have a lot of money to spend. Those combined 3400 games and $10 will get both of you coffee from Starbucks, too.

I've got 117 games in my collection - Humble bundles REALLY pad out the numbers with all the DLC - and have beaten about a dozen of them, but several were on console like Braid and Mass Effect, but they got rebought as parts of bundles, etc., so my percentage is even lower. My backlog is sick and shows little sign of improving either. I'm sure I could add a zillion more unplayed titles to my list, too, but why?

Have to assume your first line is a typo and you mean haven't, but why does it really matter to you what I spend my entertainment money on (for the record, I've played at least at quarter of my games)? I'm not collecting to impress anyone or pointing out how many games I have to win any sort of medal, simply stating that all the whining in this thread about how horrible the sale is and that there's literally nothing worth buying is completely overblown. Hell, just today I've sank 4+ hours into Half-Minute Hero which I bought during its flash sale.

I fail to see your point. We never complained about having a large backlog or complained about never finishing our backlogs. Collecting games is a hobby of mine - a very inexpensive hobby when compared to other things out there. Other people have massive movie collections with no intention of ever re-watching anything. People collect for the sake of collecting, it's the means to the end that matters, not the end itself.

Pretty much this. Some people drop a few hundred on a night at the bar, or 500+ going to a sporting event. For that money, I can grab a few dozen games on Steam. If I'm ever in the mood for a certain game or type of game, I've got the option to play them. I don't think I'm as hardcore of a collector as anarchy; I only buy stuff I think I have at least a slight interest in playing and try to keep my impulse buys at $5 or less, so there are a lot of RTS and things like Sniper Elite that have had great deals in the past that I haven't bit on.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#5090 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

If anyone cares, Borderlands 2 won.

#5091 Dragonsbane

Dragonsbane

Dr. StrangeCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

I came into this thread at an interesting time I see....
Dr. Strange CAG- Or how I learned to stop worrying and love cheap stuff.

Posted Image
Christianity: The belief that a Jewish cosmic zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree.

#5092 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:46 AM

If anyone cares, Borderlands 2 won.

Oh wait, is there a Steam sale going on?!?!

#5093 LoLRoflCopter

LoLRoflCopter

Moar GAEMS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

Oh wait, is there a Steam sale going on?!?!

Posted Image

#5094 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

T-Minus 15 minutes until complaining about the next set of flash deals.

#5095 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

Hey guys, when does the Winter sale start?

#5096 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Though I would like to point at the best and largest open world RPG of the 1980s you've never heard of. It was truly massive and fit on two double sided floppies. (Apparently it used Run-Length Coding to fit it all in.)
Deathlord (1987) boasts a world of 16 continents, 128 unique monsters, and twenty dungeons

That's what you needed to do, explore the whole world with no guidance or handholding, only oblique hints by really outta-the-way NPCs. You needed to find the 7 words and six items. It never really told you that. "Seek the seven." "Find Senju"

There was no auto-mapping in those days, and an some of the dungeons required careful mapping and puzzle-deduction.

That's pretty cool. Reminds me of when I played Pirates Adventure (text based adventure game) and had stacks of scratch paper with hand drawn maps and notes. As much as I kind of miss those days of "gaming", I'm not all that sure I could go back to it. ;)

I was surprised recently by the number of regular CAGs who didn't have a GG account.

I'd hope that has changed in the last few days.

#5097 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Hey guys, when does the Winter sale start?

Cancelled.

#5098 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:52 AM

Prediction: Software app + two indie games that were in recent bundles.

#5099 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

The next set sucks. Tomorrow's daily deals are all software. I'm filing a support ticket to have games removed from my account in protest!
sudo mklove

#5100 Blade

Blade

Butt Blamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

I might not be online then, so what does Gaben think we are, idiots? [insert name] was only $2.49 on [insert distributor]'s website just last week! This Steam sale is less spectacular than sales prior to this have been, and I am inconsolably outraged by it. That's it, I'm selling my account filled with games I've only played 5% or maybe even 10% of. I don't even care if the ladies won't love me anymore as a result.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

Back to Video Game Deals