Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#7741 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

It does NOT have install limits, it DOES use securom(an unpopular form of drm)

http://www.shacknews...theft-auto-4-pc

GTA4 + EFLC also require RSC, as well.

#7742 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

Posted Image

Um wow. I got pwn'd. Although, I would consider "unless you're Gabe" to be a standard exception.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#7743 silverrat23

silverrat23

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

I already have Saints Row the Third without DLC, but if I buy the full package, will the base game be giftable? What about the DLC?

EDIT:typo

#7744 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

I already have Saints Row the Third with DLC, but if I buy the full package, will the base game be giftable? What about the DLC?

no

#7745 silverrat23

silverrat23

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

nevermind

#7746 hostyl1

hostyl1

Can do this all day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

GTA Franchise pack, COME TO ME.

& for those hatin' on GTA IV or have doubts about it, Story-wise, the game is my favorite. You basically live through a more progressive and elaborate version of a Russian Scarface life. American dream theme as usual, but the more you play it the more you'll get into it. It's definitely not as fun as San Andreas in terms of what your able to do or easter eggs, but it does a good job of incorporating the main story missions into the open-world so you end up exploring alot of it and finding fun shit to do.

Having played 3, 4, TLaD, VC, and a bit of VC Stories, I can say that VC is my favorite, but IV and TLaD are the only ones I finished. There *is* a pretty good story in IV, and the characters are a bit more than your typical stereotype. That kept me wanting to see how it all wrapped up. However, the main arc of IV lost all credibility about 1/2 - 2/3rds of the way in. There is a *GREAT* mission "Three Leaf Clover"
Spoiler
and at the conclusion of that mission, Niko loses all motivation for being in "the life", but the story pretends that he still needs to be this unwilling bad guy. No, after that mission, Niko should either leave "the life" or he's a sociopath who actually likes the life.

But for anyone who has completely avoided IV and episodes, I'd highly suggest getting the Episodes. TLaD was almost perfect for GTA. It had a good story (woven with IV) but eliminated a lot of the padding the base game needed to be able to check the "Over 40 hours of Gameplay!" box. Side stuff is still there, but it's truely side stuff. It has practically zero impact on the story.

Gay Tony is supposed to bring out more of the "fun" that was in SA, but I havent played either so I cant comment further.
Posted Image

#7747 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

Indie Royale just annoys me, really. They get by by putting one interesting game in their bundles and slapping a $4+ price tag on them. They get so much praise and I have no idea why.

I always think Indie Gala sucks too, but then I realize I buy every single one of them and get like 8 games for $1.50 every time...

IR doesn't offer any bonus games like IG and HB do either so once you see it live you know your disappointment won't potentially improve.

#7748 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

IR doesn't offer any bonus games like IG and HB do either so once you see it live you know your disappointment won't potentially improve.

I thought they did, but in the form of some stupid hey here is a prototype for a game and you can't get it on Desura or Steam, just download.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#7749 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

I disagree. I just can't see anyone shelling out $70 on indie games in one go. It's like going to McDonalds and buying 70 burgers off the dollar menu, for yourself.

I really have to wonder how much of these they are selling, especially in light of the various indie bundles. When Steam was doing those $5 5 game bundles or the slightly larger $10 bundles, they were very hard to pass up so long as there were a couple games in there I wanted. The other games were a bit of a gamble, but either way, I felt I was getting my money's worth - anything else was just a bonus.

This bundle, though, is doubtful to get past many people's impulsiveness check. Unless you really, really love indie games, $70 is just way too much for most people, and those that do really, really love indie games likely own a lot in that bundle making it even less than a deal. Personally speaking, I own more than half the games in it.

#7750 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

So any Russian CAGs out there or no? If I can get the X Superbox for nearly half price, that'd be just swell. I've debated on getting it for what seems like 3-4 Steam sales now.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#7751 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

I'm not quite sure; it says "DRM: Keycode Activation" but I'm used to seeing explicit steam labeling (or drm-free).

Edit: Well, it's not on Desura or Origin, so I'm not sure where it could activate other than steam.

"Keycode activation" doesn't always mean that it activates on a platform like Steam or Origin. It could be DRM that requires a key, eg: Securom.

#7752 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

I thought they did, but in the form of some stupid hey here is a prototype for a game and you can't get it on Desura or Steam, just download.

You're right. They do give bonuses as I just looked at the last bundle on their site. My bad. And yes so are those bonuses. :lol:

#7753 Arben

Arben

notArtist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

does anyone know how the community of left 4 dead 2 is?

I would provide the dissenting opinion. Although you can encounter griefers from time to time, I've played a lot of L4D2 with random folks and found it to be basically fine. If you want a crew to go through on expert realism mode, that might be tricky, but to just drop in and play for 15-45 minutes, it's usually great. As long as you stick to the group and watch each other's backs, you don't need to have the whole maze memorized or anything.

However, reading some of the other replies reminded me that modes exist besides co-op. I've played those almost never, and can recall being kicked from a game for completing the objective instead of helping a teammate, and for helping a teammate instead of completing the objective. That crew might need to calm down a bit.

Just about the worst thing you'll see in campaign mode is the guy who's desperately trying to be the team leader. And that can be pretty funny sometimes.

Spoiler

#7754 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

Having played 3, 4, TLaD, VC, and a bit of VC Stories, I can say that VC is my favorite, but IV and TLaD are the only ones I finished. There *is* a pretty good story in IV, and the characters are a bit more than your typical stereotype. That kept me wanting to see how it all wrapped up. However, the main arc of IV lost all credibility about 1/2 - 2/3rds of the way in. There is a *GREAT* mission "Three Leaf Clover"

Spoiler
and at the conclusion of that mission, Niko loses all motivation for being in "the life", but the story pretends that he still needs to be this unwilling bad guy. No, after that mission, Niko should either leave "the life" or he's a sociopath who actually likes the life.

But for anyone who has completely avoided IV and episodes, I'd highly suggest getting the Episodes. TLaD was almost perfect for GTA. It had a good story (woven with IV) but eliminated a lot of the padding the base game needed to be able to check the "Over 40 hours of Gameplay!" box. Side stuff is still there, but it's truely side stuff. It has practically zero impact on the story.

Gay Tony is supposed to bring out more of the "fun" that was in SA, but I havent played either so I cant comment further.

I enjoyed Gay Tony more than TLAD. Gay Tony was way more over the top and ultimately, more fun because of it. TLAD was good though. Both are better than IV. Hands down though, San Andreas takes the cake as the definitive GTA for me. Such an excellent game with a perfect environment and a fantastic cast of characters.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#7755 Bort_

Bort_

Aw, c'mon! Bort?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

So any Russian CAGs out there or no? If I can get the X Superbox for nearly half price, that'd be just swell. I've debated on getting it for what seems like 3-4 Steam sales now.

I asked for a Russian bro a few weeks ago when SFxT was on sale (since they had it for less than $5)

No luck and my post was deleted because "garbage cleanup" or some shit like that so I don't think there are many Russians willing to help with out getting some kind of profit (and I don't really blame them, just speculating).

#7756 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

You're right. They do give bonuses as I just looked at the last bundle on their site. My bad. And yes so are those bonuses. :lol:

Indie Royale has never had any good bonuses. Indie Royale is in fact, very very hit or miss. Most of the time with the miss, and just having that one thing that you buy instead of at the holiday/summer sale just to up your Steam library with 3 other shitty games :lol:.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#7757 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

Spoiler

yeah packie's missions were insane. (and some of the most fun in the game)
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#7758 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

So, I was feeling nostalgic over that last post and just bought San Andreas. It gave me two versions, both titled the same; one however says "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is no available on your current platform". Is that the Mac version I take it?

Also, did they ever get around to adding widescreen support?

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#7759 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

Shame you missed it on GamersGate awhile back. It was $7ish and came with DRM-free and Steam copies.

So, I was feeling nostalgic over that last post and just bought San Andreas. It gave me two versions, both titled the same; one however says "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is no available on your current platform". Is that the Mac version I take it?

Also, did they ever get around to adding widescreen support?

Yessir, that's the Mac version. Makes you wish you could remove it from your library (if you aren't a Mac owner) some way other than via categories.

And I believe you'll need to mod it for widescreen support, if it isn't clearly apparent in the game. Just Google around.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#7760 Drizzt

Drizzt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

I would provide the dissenting opinion. Although you can encounter griefers from time to time, I've played a lot of L4D2 with random folks and found it to be basically fine. If you want a crew to go through on expert realism mode, that might be tricky, but to just drop in and play for 15-45 minutes, it's usually great. As long as you stick to the group and watch each other's backs, you don't need to have the whole maze memorized or anything.

However, reading some of the other replies reminded me that modes exist besides co-op. I've played those almost never, and can recall being kicked from a game for completing the objective instead of helping a teammate, and for helping a teammate instead of completing the objective. That crew might need to calm down a bit.

Just about the worst thing you'll see in campaign mode is the guy who's desperately trying to be the team leader. And that can be pretty funny sometimes.

Spoiler

^^
My thoughts exactly. If you stick to Campaign on Normal, you'll have the best chance at having a good experience. Heck, you can even play Campaign on Easy online and then you'll definitely have a good experience unless you're in a group where it's everyone's first time playing the game.

Basically, if you want to play the PvP modes, then be ready to get a thick skin. I rarely play them, since it always seem like all the wannabe "pro gamers" play those types of game modes. However, if you're looking to do PvE, then most of the time you end up with folks who will be adequate for completing the maps. As I've said before, I've gotten more friends on Steam from playing random games of L4D2. Easily more than TF2 back when I used to play that. There are good folks out there, it's just the annoying/obnoxious ones tend to stand out a little more because of their behavior and lack of manners.

#7761 mjontrix

mjontrix

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

Posted Image

I think we figured out the reason the steam sale ended for a moment xD

Also, the Mechromancer pack IS under Premiere Pack in BL2's DLC. Who's idea was that?

And as for the Russians - they're not selling as much due to steam cracking down on sellers just before the sale began.

---------

But now the hardest decision as a CAG has arrived... Which deal do I vote for - Trains, Warthog or Farming Sim? NO OTHER DECISION HAS EVER BEEN THIS HARD!!!

#7762 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

I think we figured out the reason the steam sale ended for a moment xD

Also, the Mechromancer pack IS under Premiere Pack in BL2's DLC. Who's idea was that?

And as for the Russians - they're not selling as much due to steam cracking down on sellers just before the sale began.

---------

But now the hardest decision as a CAG has arrived... Which deal do I vote for - Trains, Warthog or Farming Sim? NO OTHER DECISION HAS EVER BEEN THIS HARD!!!

I voted warthog, not because I want it but because it's the only one I could even see myself buying and playing.

#7763 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

As I said earlier, the choice has to be TRAINS! There's so much damn DLC for it, that there is at least the chance that one of them will be price glitched when the sale goes live. Apparently there was a DLC that normally sells for $40 that was 98% off for about 15 minutes the other day.

Probably wont happen again. But can you really resist the possibility of getting some train route in Luxemburg for only $0.80?

#7764 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

yeah packie's missions were insane. (and some of the most fun in the game)

I agree Packie's missions were crazy! Three leaf clover is one of the best missions in any GTA game PERIOD! I pre-ordered GTA IV for :360: and picked it up at midnight. I don't regret the purchase cause I enjoyed the game and wanted to play it right away.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7765 mjontrix

mjontrix

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

The Walking Dead only $2.49 on gamersgate!!!!!!!
Go now!!!!!!!

Umm... not it's not... Maybe they just fixed it. Put a link up or something :)

As I said earlier, the choice has to be TRAINS! There's so much damn DLC for it, that there is at least the chance that one of them will be price glitched when the sale goes live. Apparently there was a DLC that normally sells for $40 that was 98% off for about 15 minutes the other day.

Probably wont happen again. But can you really resist the possibility of getting some train route in Luxemburg for only $0.80?

WHAT SRS? I'l buy every DLC if there was 98% off!

Voted for Trains BTW!

#7766 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

WHAT SRS? I'l buy every DLC if there was 98% off!

Voted for Trains BTW!

RailWorks Glasgow Airport Rail Link Add-on http://store.steampo....com/app/24065/

Here is a SPUF thread about it. http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=3035297

#7767 MulderYuffie

MulderYuffie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

Was looking at that list of DRM stuff and I never knew how many games used it. So what happens if I use my machine activations up? Do they just take it from your Steam libreary and not let you play and will/is there any way to play it otherwise later down the line?

#7768 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:35 AM

i was kind of hoping warthog would lose so i didn't have to buy it
damn

#7769 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:39 AM

I've been waiting for Walking Dead to go sub $10 for a while. Decided to buy it on XBL yesterday with my half off MS points from Target, effectively making it $5. The benefits of moonlighting as a console peasant.

#7770 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

I've been waiting for Walking Dead to go sub $10 for a while. Decided to buy it on XBL yesterday with my half off MS points fron Target, effectively making it $5. The benefits of moonlighting as a console peasant.

yeah damn
i was gonna buy it with my $50 msp card for $20 but fell asleep before i bought it on friday
it sucks never turning on my xbox
there were like 3-4 things on sale i meant to buy