Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#8101 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

talkinrock's future son in law

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

The Skyrim 2K texture pack is... okay. It's EXTREMELY incomplete though, and last I checked the creator wasn't doing much in the way of updates. The textures that are replaced are wonderfully done though, I do recommend it.

And just for reference, the 2K textures are only about 1.5GB, whereas WMC's complete texture pack for New Vegas is 7GB. That should tell you how incomplete the 2K pack is.

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#8102 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Never played any Civ games. Civ III worth getting for a dollar?

Yes. Obviously the graphics aren't current but it still looks good and the gameplay is fundamentally the same. Nice way to test if you'd like the franchise.

#8103 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

I would say it is the worst Civ, but still worth a dollar sure.

#8104 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Yes. Obviously the graphics aren't current but it still looks good and the gameplay is fundamentally the same. Nice way to test if you'd like the franchise.

This is true, but if you like three, I'd recommend updating to IV as soon as possible. I believe it to be the best in the series, and I'm not alone.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#8105 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

'Worst' is relative, though. Arguably you could say the first was the worst as it was the birth of the franchise and doesn't have as many features as the later ones. Honestly there aren't many significant differences between Civ 3 and Civ 4(gameplay wise). Civ 5 I can't attest to but everything I've seen of it doesn't make me believe it's any better.

Saying 'worst Civ game' is like saying 'ugliest supermodel.'

#8106 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

really contemplating if i should get skyrim....will this be the cheapest?

i picked it up from black friday for $10 at the microsoft store(came with a steam key) and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made.
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#8107 chapnis

chapnis

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Yeah, I've heard it's the worst one. But no point in spending 7.50 if I might not like it. Probably pick up Civ III for a dollar now and if I like it get IV/V a bit later on. Thanks for the input.

#8108 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

260?!

I really don't get your comment. I spelled it out clearly gtx 260 in my four year old PC.
Specifically the superclocked model here.
http://www.evga.com/articles/00429/

Yes, it's old, but it runs Skyrim & BL2 ~45FPS @1920x1200 at default settings.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#8109 nosferatu51

nosferatu51

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Is the Civ 5 GOTY upgrade worth the $5? I have the base game and G&K ($3.15 at GMG right now).
Posted Image

#8110 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

The Skyrim 2K texture pack is... okay. It's EXTREMELY incomplete though, and last I checked the creator wasn't doing much in the way of updates. The textures that are replaced are wonderfully done though, I do recommend it.

And just for reference, the 2K textures are only about 1.5GB, whereas WMC's complete texture pack for New Vegas is 7GB. That should tell you how incomplete the 2K pack is.

There's other ones you can get to fill in the gaps but yeah it's a whole process. Anybody who has modded ES games in the past should be used to that though.

There's a guide called STEP (Skyrim Total Enhancement Project) that tells you what texture Mods to install and in what order but get an older revision because the latest one removed that Skyrim rewhatsit pack.

#8111 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Your talking about a different mod. The author says to install the 2K version on top of the official free HD texture pack from Bethesda to fill it out. The 2k version of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul weighs in at 5.6 gigs. Your confusing mods. 2k references the size of the texture, but there is also a mod that uses "2k" in name (several, actually).

EDIT: Link to what Motoki referenced above:
S.T.E.P. Project Wiki
S.T.E.P. at nexus

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#8112 dracula

dracula

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

'Worst' is relative, though. Arguably you could say the first was the worst as it was the birth of the franchise and doesn't have as many features as the later ones. Honestly there aren't many significant differences between Civ 3 and Civ 4(gameplay wise). Civ 5 I can't attest to but everything I've seen of it doesn't make me believe it's any better.

They have drastically changed the combat system for civ 5:

in civ 4 you could move all of your units onto one square next to an enemy city and have them attack at once in one giant stack. You only get one unit per hex(civ v uses hexes, not squares) and so you cant stack units any more. I like the combat in part 5 a lot.

Most of the strat games I play, even on the hardest difficulty, become really easy after you get a couple of cities and have really weak AI(like the total war series, or the romance of the 3 kingdoms series).

On the harder difficulties, in the civ games, the AI gets some huge boosts so that the game is in question every step of the way and every decision you make is critical. I can usually win on the king setting, but if i fall behind, it can be a really difficult task to catch up.

Posted Image

#8113 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Is the Civ 5 GOTY upgrade worth the $5? I have the base game and G&K ($3.15 at GMG right now).

100% yes without hesitation, especially at that price because it probably won't hit that price again by itself.

Sorry thought you meant G&K.

GOTY upgrade?

Eh

#8114 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Civ III has a bad rep. I'd recommend FreeCiv for the classic CIv 1+2 experience.

From what I understand, only if you like playing scenarios. I'd be interesting in hearing more answers to this.

Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

#8115 dracula

dracula

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

YES. it adds a lot of civs(each civ have their own advantages, their own music, just adds a lot of replay value) and there are 2 other expansions included(they were OK, i prefer the base game to be honest)

Posted Image

#8116 chapnis

chapnis

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Oh well, I got Civ III so at the worst I've wasted a dollar

#8117 nosferatu51

nosferatu51

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

100% yes without hesitation, especially at that price because it probably won't hit that price again by itself.

Sorry thought you meant G&K.

GOTY upgrade?

Eh

As I said, G&K is actually at a better price than that right now :) $4 something at GreenManGaming, then use their 30% discount and it comes out to like $3.15. THAT looked like too much of a steal and I said yes. The GOTY update at $5 looked like it was just scenarios and a couple new civs that I wasn't sure were worth it.

YES. it adds a lot of civs(each civ have their own advantages, their own music, just adds a lot of replay value) and there are 2 other expansions included(they were OK, i prefer the base game to be honest)

So for someone who hasn't played much of it at all yet and will likely never exhaust the base content, that's a no? Can't imagine balance lets any of those addon civs stand out as a must have.
Posted Image

#8118 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Did someone mention Mission Runway? ;)

#8119 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

Thank you, I know understand that opinions are different person to person.

I say it is the worst because I felt like it did nothing for the franchise. That and it was the one I had the least fun in. So since games are for entertainment purposes and it was the one I enjoyed the least it is the worst one. And while this is entirely unnecessary I guess I should point out that this is my opinion and it may not reflect yours.

There was bad civ game?

No, hence the use of the word 'worst'. It is the worst because it is sub par to the other Civs, but is still a good game.

Language... its not that hard!

EDIT: Also it should be known that it is the 'worst' Civ in my opinion because I had already played Civ 1 & 2. Had I not played either of those I would not have had any expectations going into Civ 3.

#8120 Yamato

Yamato

not motivated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

Bought Civ 3 during the last sale. It is the only Civ game I have played. Took a bit to figure everything out, but I've put 38 hours into it an haven't finished a playthrough yet. Tons of fun. I'm slowly capturing the entire map. Probably the best dollar I've ever spent.

#8121 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Mass Effect 2 came out before Origin; you don't need Origin but you can register the key if you want. And to my knowledge, all ME DLC is only available through the fucking Bioware store. I took a quick look at Origin just in case but it seems that that's still the case.

Where do you find the steam "keys" to activate ME games on Origin?
Posted Image

#8122 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

^^^
You buy the ME games directly from STEAM.

But he's correct, ME 1 and ME2 do not require Origin, you can just download and install as a standalone retail title [awww I remember those days].

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#8123 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

^^^
You buy the ME games directly from STEAM.

I was gifted them. Just wondered where I could find the keys.

my first post was extremely unclear. I was gifted the games through steam and I want to register them on Origin. I was wondering where I could find the steam key to register them on Origin.
Posted Image

#8124 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

And "Civ in Space" Alpha Centauri is $3 on GOG (and they finally added the expansion).

Where do you find these "keys" to activate ME games on steam?

Right click on the game in your library, "view CD key".

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#8125 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

I was gifted them. Just wondered where I could find the keys.

Oh, well I think you may be able to find the key in your registry; but I don't really know.

Here's a thread regarding the process: http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=1938762

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#8126 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Where do you find these "keys" to activate ME games on steam?

Select the game in the client. Then look to the menu to the right side of the screen (Only viewable in detail view). Click on "CD Key".

I couldn't get the Mass Effect 1 key to work with registering on Origin. But I had no problem with ME2.

EDIT: Ninja'd by asheskitty. But her description was a bit off, so I'll just leave this here.

#8127 dracula

dracula

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

As I said, G&K is actually at a better price than that right now :) $4 something at GreenManGaming, then use their 30% discount and it comes out to like $3.15. THAT looked like too much of a steal and I said yes. The GOTY update at $5 looked like it was just scenarios and a couple new civs that I wasn't sure were worth it.

So for someone who hasn't played much of it at all yet and will likely never exhaust the base content, that's a no? Can't imagine balance lets any of those addon civs stand out as a must have.

eh, i would say it is a 'maybe'. It doesnt just add those civs as playable, it adds them to the game as enemy civs as well.

I think it adds more world wonders. I like wonders so i was all over that. actually i think you have to buy korea civ separate and also the ancient wonders pack(again, i like to go for the wonders).

just checked, this is what is included in the goty content
All 4 Cradle of Civilization Map Packs (Mediterranean, Asia, Americas, Mesopotamia)
Civilization Pack: Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II)
Double Civilization and Scenario Pack: Spain and Inca
Civilization and Scenario Pack: Polynesia
Civilization and Scenario Pack: Denmark - The Vikings
Explorer’s Map Pack
Official Digital Soundtrack (Soundtrack not available on the Mac)

to get everything, you would have to get that, then get this
http://store.steampo....com/app/99614/
that is the ancient wonders+ korea civ

+
gods and kings(get it from greenman gamer for 3 bucks,i paid $7.50 on black friday from amazon, but that included a $5 coupon on a future purchase)

Posted Image

#8128 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

Select the game in the client. Then look to the menu to the right side of the screen (Only viewable in detail view). Click on "CD Key".

I couldn't get the Mass Effect 1 key to work with registering on Origin. But I had no problem with ME2.

EDIT: Ninja'd by asheskitty. But I gave a bit more detail, so I'll just leave this here.

I got the ME1 to work but it wasn't through the client but a different link at ea.com

I think it was the apply entitlement one IIRC.

#8129 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

Thank you, both, for the help.
Posted Image

#8130 nosferatu51

nosferatu51

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

eh, i would say it is a 'maybe'. It doesnt just add those civs as playable, it adds them to the game as enemy civs as well.

I think it adds more world wonders. I like wonders so i was all over that. actually i think you have to buy korea civ separate and also the ancient wonders pack(again, i like to go for the wonders).

just checked, this is what is included in the goty content
All 4 Cradle of Civilization Map Packs (Mediterranean, Asia, Americas, Mesopotamia)
Civilization Pack: Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II)
Double Civilization and Scenario Pack: Spain and Inca
Civilization and Scenario Pack: Polynesia
Civilization and Scenario Pack: Denmark - The Vikings
Explorer’s Map Pack
Official Digital Soundtrack (Soundtrack not available on the Mac)

to get everything, you would have to get that, then get this
http://store.steampo....com/app/99614/
that is the ancient wonders+ korea civ

+
gods and kings(get it from greenman gamer for 3 bucks,i paid $7.50 on black friday from amazon, but that included a $5 coupon on a future purchase)

K, thanks. Think I'll pass. Considering I haven't played much of Civ 5 despite owning it for a long time, don't think I can justify purchasing 2 packs the same day and I feel I got the more important one with G&K since it changes actual mechanics.
Posted Image