Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#8161 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

is far cry 1 and 2 worth it?

I never played FC1. FC2 I enjoyed but a lot of people didn't. The biggest gripes seemed to be that roads had a checkpoint every six feet and each checkpoint would have 4-6 guys in it and would respawn the second you left its aggro radius. So 80% of the game was fighting your way past checkpoints. Oh, and fast travel was pretty limited so you spent a lot of time driving past checkpoints.

I usually enjoyed the combat so that wasn't a huge deal for me but some people complained of AI quirks like cover/stealth not working properly or one guys spotting you and every enemy in the camp knowing where you were.

On the plus side, I liked the weapons and, as I said, I liked the combat most of the time. Fire physics were a lot of fun. The scenery was great. Missions would have two ways of doing them: the way the "bad guys" you were working for wanted you to do them and then some alternate route your "allies" would want you to take. I thought it was worthwhile playing, anyway.

[Edit: If someone has a DOTA key or invite, I have a friend on another forum who would like one. No pressure of course but I know some people have found them to clutter up their inventories.]

#8162 XIGRIMxREAPERIX

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

I never played FC1. FC2 I enjoyed but a lot of people didn't. The biggest gripes seemed to be that roads had a checkpoint every six feet and each checkpoint would have 4-6 guys in it and would respawn the second you left its aggro radius. So 80% of the game was fighting your way past checkpoints. Oh, and fast travel was pretty limited so you spent a lot of time driving past checkpoints.

I usually enjoyed the combat so that wasn't a huge deal for me but some people complained of AI quirks like cover/stealth not working properly or one guys spotting you and every enemy in the camp knowing where you were.

On the plus side, I liked the weapons and, as I said, I liked the combat most of the time. Fire physics were a lot of fun. The scenery was great. Missions would have two ways of doing them: the way the "bad guys" you were working for wanted you to do them and then some alternate route your "allies" would want you to take. I thought it was worthwhile playing, anyway.

[Edit: If someone has a DOTA key or invite, I have a friend on another forum who would like one. No pressure of course but I know some people have found them to clutter up their inventories.]

Thx I guess for 5$ I can let them sit in my inventory until l I get around to playing them.
"shut up and take my dota keys!" to lazy to show off my ms paint skillz and edit the meme. :-P
Posted Image

#8163 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

You can't forget the 2, or was it 3?, types of side missions. Nothing is fun unless you do it over and over again.

Other than those two things the game was ok. I only spend 3 hours in it, but wasted about 20-30 on the editor. And I say wasted because who the hell plays that multiplayer?

#8164 cranky2

cranky2

Knight Of The Order Of Cheapassery

• CAGiversary!

Far Cry 1 has some pretty shitty savepoints, I got bored with it. Far Cry 2 looks good, only played it for a few minutes.

#8165 rslater

rslater

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

There's a mod for FC2 that increases respawn times and lowers everyone's health (including player). Enjoyed the game for a while but wasn't compelled to finish.

#8166 jefexp

jefexp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

Am i blind or something? Bout to purchase Far Cry 3 on amazon but I cannot see the student prime discount?

#8167 kjs7

kjs7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

never played the original but far cry 2 was awful. Picked up Far Cry 3 and I'm having a good bit of fun with it

496684.png

#8168 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

Am i blind or something? Bout to purchase Far Cry 3 on amazon but I cannot see the student prime discount?

I believe you have to use this promo code at the checkout. FC3AMZNS and if you have amazon prime it is supposed to take $10 off. Though I read it doesn't work with the deluxe edition. Can't confirm that though.

#8169 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

never played the original but far cry 2 was awful. Picked up Far Cry 3 and I'm having a good bit of fun with it

Yep my thoughts exactly, Far Cry 2 was alright for an hour then just got bored. I had low expectations for Far Cry 3, then saw the stellar reviews. Far Cry 3 is leagues better then the previous games in the franchise.

I actually sold my Far Cry 3 (360), and got $37 credit for it at bestbuy. My new gaming PC comes in tomorrow, and will be rebuying it, I heard the PC version is much better visually and performance wise compared to consoles.
Posted Image

#8170 TheKbob

TheKbob

Rock On, Duder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

Has Serious Sam 3 BFE ever been $5?
Posted Image

#8171 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

Amazon had a whole pack with every Serious Sam game and all dlc for $10 recently.

#8172 jefexp

jefexp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

I believe you have to use this promo code at the checkout. FC3AMZNS and if you have amazon prime it is supposed to take $10 off. Though I read it doesn't work with the deluxe edition. Can't confirm that though.

Oh thanks, I'll try that out.

#8173 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

Anno 2070? Does it get really addictive? Is there a semi sand box mode that gets addictive? I could see managing an entire bustling island to be pretty fun.
How much is left out if you play in offline mode? Is UBI laying off the online single player stuff?

#8174 carl7117

carl7117

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:34 AM

any chance the whole fallout franchise will go on sale? i know the old ones have a 66% off already but being a cheapass i want to wait and see if they have a 75% off :D

#8175 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:34 AM

Believe you need a "Student Prime" account. Tried it with my standard Prime account out of curiosity and got denied.

#8176 Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

I think it was $5-6 as a flash sale a couple of days ago.

#8177 jefexp

jefexp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

Believe you need a "Student Prime" account. Tried it with my standard Prime account out of curiosity and got denied.

Confirmed that it works with this method (Since I have student prime). I don't even know why i'm still debating on purchasing it through steam...just to have it in my library, and yes I know that you can add non steam games lol.

#8178 XIGRIMxREAPERIX

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

any chance the whole fallout franchise will go on sale? i know the old ones have a 66% off already but being a cheapass i want to wait and see if they have a 75% off :D

There'sa good chance that it will be NO for 1 and 2
Interplay owns the rights to sell them until 366 days from now.
Fallout 3 and NV should go on sale if they havent already.
Posted Image

#8179 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

Yeah, there's no way that Fallout 1, 2 & Tactics get discounted any lower than 66% off.

Not until next year's Holiday sale, that is. Then you can expect a 90% discount.

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't say that there's "No Way". Crazy things happen sometimes. But I would certainly bet against it.

#8180 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

talkinrock's future son in law

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

is far cry 1 and 2 worth it?

Far Cry 2 is very worth it. I wrote this on the Amazon thread awhile ago.

"It gets way more flak than it deserves. I read all those complaints too and so many of them are just petty nonsense. A big complaint was having to heal yourself (pull a bullet of your leg, shrapnel, etc) mid-battle when you hit critical health, but I think it's a really neat feature that keeps you alive. Another complaint was having to pop malaria pills every once in awhile, and I can tell you that it's once in a pretty long amount of time and takes a whopping 4 seconds.

The only complaints I do understand are (like you said) the respawning enemy checkpoints. Those can be annoying on high difficulties, because on high difficulty, enemies are DANGEROUS. That said, realistically I do think enemies would send new forces out to wiped out checkpoints. As quickly as FC2 does? Probably not, but oh well. I play this game when I'm up for a serious challenge (I play on Notorious difficulty), meaning a few bullets can take me down, while the same goes for my enemies. It's ing hard, but when I'm in the mood for a hard, fulfilling game with a crazy level of immersion, It's awesome.

As for missions repeating... I don't know. I suppose the game can get repetitive, but what game doesn't?

All in all, I think it's an amazing buy for the price ($2.50 or $1.50). When I was in a turret in the back of a truck, laying down fire through the trees and suddenly noticed that I was shooting massive limbs off the trees and clearing a shooting lane, I was sold. There's a lot of work put into that game, and it shows.

(Oh, and the multiplayer servers are still going strong. Can be good fun, and there's a level editor program packed with the game. SO many custom levels online, you wouldn't believe it.)"

... who the hell plays that multiplayer?

Last time I played online, there were a lot of people playing, and a lot of dedicated servers. The map making community seems to be pretty damn active and the stuff they create is pretty impressive.

Also, be sure to grab these two mods before you start playing. The game is much better with both of them.

Realism Mod
Graphics Mod

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#8181 Meowser

Meowser

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

Yep my thoughts exactly, Far Cry 2 was alright for an hour then just got bored. I had low expectations for Far Cry 3, then saw the stellar reviews. Far Cry 3 is leagues better then the previous games in the franchise.

I actually sold my Far Cry 3 (360), and got $37 credit for it at bestbuy. My new gaming PC comes in tomorrow, and will be rebuying it, I heard the PC version is much better visually and performance wise compared to consoles.

Well... Yes it is. UBI decided to make FC3 with a bit of a different view of things, an older view actually. That is to say making the game engine(s) be able to perform at system levels .vs. focus on consoles.

A friend of my brothers (my bro works for Amazon as a software engineer as am I) who is a game coder (mainstream) told him the industry is going back to those days basically. The deal is this. The console market is having happen to it what happened to PC Games years ago, a sort of market saturation BUT the hardware is stagnant. No matter HOW good a PS/4 or new XBox cares to be they are essentially bound by the output device, that Hi-Def TV. PC's on the other hand have fallen HUGE in price as have the monitor costs which will readily do basically double the resolution of an HD TV. Low end current video cards eat whats in consoles and even whats coming in consoles. Many TV's are perfectly capable of much higher resolutions but console manufacturers are too dense to code or provide the "total support" (hardware/software) to make it a reality. They stay in control in other words .vs. letting those that develop the games drive direction (aka: control).

Its that sorta "You work for us" not "we work for you" reality while of course they say something completely reverse.

Like eBay does. They will say they work for the sellers when in reality they control sellers and they actually work for the buyers as without buyers there are no sellers. As slight example its why if you sell something you can get a negative and adhere to detailed seller ratings (DSR's) and they may can your ability to sell. Yet buyers can say any number of things, not pay, on and on yet they are still there. You cant leave them a bad rating or bad DBR (detailed buyer rating) for example.

Amazon, similar. They dont allow more than 20% of sales to be via third parties. The only exceptions are direct manufacturer or enterprise retailers.

Reason, once things get towards the 25% zone those third party sellers can start saying, "we want" as 25% is 1/4 site revenues.

Anyways...

Thus (as with the old PC days) Eye Candy and raw cpu horsepower are being looked at as the "whats our next step" yet again. JUst as with the original XB and PS/2 had PC Games ported over and often dumbed down apparently from what he was told we are going to see it all over again and a larger push unto Tablets which is after all, the future. Home PC's, console systems will give way to Tablets eventually especially as more gaming gets streamed in numerous fascinating ways of modular pre-fetch and execution which is already in the works.

Again... I am just the messenger, tis' what I have been told.

#8182 XIGRIMxREAPERIX

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

Well I used up all my steam wallet and there's 6 days left..... This isnt going to end well.
Thanks everyone on the far cry recommendations I picked them up and they will sit in my inventory until I play them (maybe never?)
To the guy above me I was told the world was going to end 8 days ago :-P
Posted Image

#8183 Meowser

Meowser

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

FC1 and FC2 are certainly worth the $3 bucks each.

Yes... they can be a bit repetitive and might upset those comparing them with newer free-roaming FPS games.

The only real beef I had with FC2 is it being based in rather dull terrain.

FC1 in its release day was considered a cutting edge title. By todays games, no. But its a pretty fun romp especially considering it was released coming up on 9 years ago and still fairs well and is fun to play.

#8184 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

I'm waiting til the last day of the GOG sale (Jan 3rd) to pick it up in case it drops further. wishlisted for now.

^_^ Nod. It's been on my wishlist for a while. I just resisted picking it up at $2.39 a few times since it I like my old games complete (w/expansions).

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#8185 paulcalypse

paulcalypse

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

Ok Mark of the Ninja is tempting me again. It's that or either the Mount and Blade pack. One or the other. Two days to decide.

TyranitarJr.png

#8186 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

Confirmed that it works with this method (Since I have student prime). I don't even know why i'm still debating on purchasing it through steam...just to have it in my library, and yes I know that you can add non steam games lol.

Debating the same thing, I just prefer to have all my digital downloads in the same place. Not that I don't by non-steam games here and there I just try to minimize it.

Ok Mark of the Ninja is tempting me again. It's that or either the Mount and Blade pack. One or the other. Two days to decide.

Between the two I say the mount and blade pack. As much as I liked Mark of Ninja, I have gotten a lot more time out of the mount and blade games.

#8187 XIGRIMxREAPERIX

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

I love mount and blade.
I picked up just warband and the expansion.
Didnt want or need the other 2.
Warband is better in every way to the original
Fire and Stone is Warband with 1 shot 1 kill guns
Also N wars is multiplier only.
Its one of those games were when you finally turn it off and go to bed your alarm goes off right when you close your eyes to get some sleep.
Posted Image

#8188 galindo62

galindo62

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

Farcry 2 is pretty terrible, but for 3$ it might be worth it.

Its a lot of missed opportunities, specifically on the no wildlife, no stealth at all.

Its a very pretty game, but it falls very short on substance, especially if youve played any current games recently.

#8189 Tane

Tane

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:19 AM

Soo since Civ 5 is 75% again worth it to upgrade to the GOTY? Extra DLCs worth the price? and I would still need to pick up Korea I think. I just picked up G&K from GMG and am having a blast can't stop playing it.

i5 3570k | GTX 780 | FT02

#8190 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

doesent FarCry 3 activate via steam? or does it have terrible ubisoft DRM?

nvm I guess its not a Steamworks title
Posted Image