Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#8641 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Thank you very much.

No graphic mods or anything I'll want? Cool!

There's a widescreen hack/exe but it breaks the game a bit and introduces bugs that the restored content mod fixes, so not really something I'd use.

#8642 PetriesLastWord

PetriesLastWord

Reeking of Awesomeness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

There's a widescreen hack/exe but it breaks the game a bit and introduces bugs that the restored content mod fixes, so not really something I'd use.

That's all I needed to know. I don't mind the letterboxing so unless it improves other stuff, I'll stay away.

Thank you very much. Really appreciate it. Couldn't find an appropriate thread and didn't seem worth creating one.
Posted Image

#8643 Arben

Arben

notArtist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

I've been waiting for a decent Blood Stone sale for quite some time. I don't think it has ever been below 10 dollars.

My Dad had that for 360, played it last year at X-mas. Except for one driving section that gave me grief, it was pretty good. Shame the reviews on this year's 007 are so poor.

That was the Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle, by LucasArts.

The Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack, by Telltale Games, currently 50% off at $17.49, hasn't been featured in the current sale yet.

I have been hoping for some telltale discounts all this time. I'm only missing stuff from the past year or so, and buying another complete bundle would probably be a slight savings, but it doesn't make much sense to me, throwing away the 10+ titles I already have.

I haven't bought anything from steam in a couple days. Got the spec ops deal from GMG. Wasn't that interested, but at the price I'll see what's what. Still hoping GG sells something worthwhile so I can burn up the leftover blue coins. Might get today's Last Remnant just for that.

#8644 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hero Academy!?!? Color me surprised. Wish there were a gold two-pack.

#8645 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hero Academy is on my wishlist, but again, bundle fodder. The 2 pack for a dollar doesn't seem that bad though. Even if it does end up in a bundle, it's only a dollar.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#8646 PetriesLastWord

PetriesLastWord

Reeking of Awesomeness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

So what's the deal with Hero Academy? I've heard of the iOS version. does it work across platforms and such? Worth it?

Not an impulse buy at $4.24, so need to know is just the base game is worthwhile.
Posted Image

#8647 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

damn i might go ahead and get the fear collection and mirror's edge
opinions?

#8648 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Hero Academy Gold bought :D

#8649 remy890

remy890

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Fear Collection question -

Which games are able to be used with the xbox 360 controller on steam?
I know 3 says it does, I am hoping a few of the others were retrofitted with that function and are not listing it like some other games that don't explicitly say it.

If the other two do not have it, is there a process anyone is using to get it working? I ask cause It would be nice to get this set but I know I will gravitate to other games that do use it already ... making this a waste of a purchase for the time being.

Thanks,

#8650 Rirse

Rirse

The Death of Grammar

• CAGiversary!

So what's the deal with Hero Academy? I've heard of the iOS version. does it work across platforms and such? Worth it?

Not an impulse buy at $4.24, so need to know is just the base game is worthwhile.

Yep, I was able to play friends on Steam using the iphone version. You even get access to the TF2 team on the iphone if you bought the Steam version. I liked it, but I got burned out playing it early on and haven't touched it since.

#8651 rirath

rirath

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

I appreciated the info too - but any second opinions on this? The widescreen hack for the first game worked swimmingly for me. Is the second one really that bad?

#8652 PetriesLastWord

PetriesLastWord

Reeking of Awesomeness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Yep, I was able to play friends on Steam using the iphone version. You even get access to the TF2 team on the iphone if you bought the Steam version. I liked it, but I got burned out playing it early on and haven't touched it since.

Android here, so the iOS thing does nothing for me unfortunately, other than being able to play against friends.
Posted Image

#8653 Garbanzo

Garbanzo

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

So I bought Far Cry on Amazon about a year ago with the Ubi sale/coupons. Played it through and really liked it but had one hell of a time installing it on Win7 x64. Considering double dipping for $2.49 on Steam as I might play it through again some day but I hope someone here can shed some light on the following:

- Is the Steam version a straight install on 64-bit? Believe it's only the regular installer that is giving problems and that would have been completely replaced by the Steam installer right?

- Is the Steam version compatible with the "AMD64" Higher res patch?

Any other things to consider?

Thanks in advance

#8654 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Is the DLC worth the extra dough? For someone who probably won't end up playing the game that much, but is just buying it because it's cheap? ;)

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#8655 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

damn i might go ahead and get the fear collection and mirror's edge
opinions?

I keep passing on FEAR like 100x but I feel like sooner or later I'll get so sick of seeing it on sale that I'll just cave and buy it even though I don't want it.

It's Magicka and Serious Sam Syndrome.

What these sales do to me.

#8656 Malibuz0r

Malibuz0r

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

Is the "Alan Wake Franchise" worth it? 10$.

#8657 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

Cross-platform, and asynchronous turn-based so you can take a couple of minutes to play your turns whenever. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly as a light strategy tactics-esque game. The additional content in the Gold Pack (which I just upgraded to) is more teams. All of the teams have a very different playstyle. The base game gives you two teams, The Council and TF2.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#8658 remy890

remy890

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Is the "Alan Wake Franchise" worth it? 10$.

Is it still on sale at GMG? I got it for $8.80 using the coupons in two order ... that is like getting the base Hero Academy free .. so that is something.

#8659 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

I think I'm interested in Hero Academy too, though I'm unsure whether it is because I really want it (kinda do) or because I'm deal-starved. :D

So what is everyone waiting on to show up?

Unrealistically I was hoping for better Steam deals on:
- Anno 2070
- Far Cry 3
- XCOM
- The Walking Dead

Realistically I'm still awaiting good Steam deals on:
- DiRT 3
- Max Payne 3
- Ass Creed Rev
- Fable III
- Iron Brigade
- NiGHTS into Dreams
- Sonic Adventure 2

(Yes, some of those have been on sale but not at my target prices)

76561197971332172.png

#8660 Arben

Arben

notArtist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

I played a whole lot of Hero Academy on iOS at the start of the year. It does work cross platform. I don't know if there's any evidence to say it'll go bundle though - has Orcs Must Die been bundled?

Wish they'd discounted the DLC - might get the gold pack just for that. I'll be glad to get the TF2 team for iOS either way though.

#8661 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Hero Academy is on my wishlist, but again, bundle fodder. The 2 pack for a dollar doesn't seem that bad though. Even if it does end up in a bundle, it's only a dollar.

Might not end up in a bundle. Orcs Must Die (also published by Robot) has yet to be in any bundle and you'd think they would have put the first one in one to publicize the second game.

I suppose it seems like a perfect candidate for a Humble Android Bundle but, again, it's odd that the developer hasn't stuck OMD1 in anything yet.

Re: the game itself. Biggest problem is it isn't very suited for the PC with it's 'play-by-email' sort of design. On a phone you just get alters when it's time to make a move, on the PC I assume you have to proactively launch the game once in a while to check. Also seems to have a problem with not a lot of players and/or people not finishing games.

Think I've, at least, talked myself out of the gold edition and might just take the $1 flyer on the base and if I don't like it I'll only be out $1 as opposed to $4.

#8662 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Might not end up in a bundle. Orcs Must Die (also published by Robot) has yet to be in any bundle and you'd think they would have put the first one in one to publicize the second game.

I suppose it seems like a perfect candidate for a Humble Android Bundle but, again, it's odd that the developer hasn't stuck OMD1 in anything yet.

Re: the game itself. Biggest problem is it isn't very suited for the PC with it's 'play-by-email' sort of design. On a phone you just get alters when it's time to make a move, on the PC I assume you have to proactively launch the game once in a while to check. Also seems to have a problem with not a lot of players and/or people not finishing games.

Think I've, at least, talked myself out of the gold edition and might just take the $1 flyer on the base and if I don't like it I'll only be out $1 as opposed to $4.

I highly doubt it will be in a Humble Android Bundle since there is no Android version and no plans to make one. The having to actively check your games is a bit of a pain, but I find if I launch it once or twice a day via Steam that I can spend a minute or two, check my turns, and play any that need it.

If you're someone who's partially interested, I'd say grab the base game for $1 and then grab the other teams in a later sale.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#8663 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

Well that answers that. And, yeah, I'll probably just end up grabbing the base game and 'upgrade' to gold in the next sale if I actually play it a bit.

#8664 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

We have about 10 or so flash deals left and none of the games on my wishlist have hit 66%, let alone 75%. The old Star Wars games, Cladun, To the Moon, all of these should have had a sale by now. Steam used to be a great place to get old or small games for cheap, but apparently not anymore.

fs_overall.png

#8665 paulcalypse

paulcalypse

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

I keep passing on FEAR like 100x but I feel like sooner or later I'll get so sick of seeing it on sale that I'll just cave and buy it even though I don't want it.

It's Magicka and Serious Sam Syndrome.

What these sales do to me.

I got the FEAR complete pack on July 16 this year for $9.99...if that helps you hold off any longer. I think it was a price error for a few minutes or something.

TyranitarJr.png

#8666 soulkyo

soulkyo

Veterinary Medicine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

I got the FEAR complete pack on July 16 this year for $9.99...if that helps you hold off any longer. I think it was a price error for a few minutes or something.

You got it from Steam or Amazon? Because in Amazon was 9.99 indeed but didn't include the DLC.

#8667 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

We have about 10 or so flash deals left and none of the games on my wishlist have hit 66%, let alone 75%. The old Star Wars games, Cladun, To the Moon, all of these should have had a sale by now. Steam used to be a great place to get old or small games for cheap, but apparently not anymore.

Eh, there have already been a ton of indie games on daily and flash.

#8668 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Well that answers that. And, yeah, I'll probably just end up grabbing the base game and 'upgrade' to gold in the next sale if I actually play it a bit.

If you haven't already and want to go in on the 2 pack, let me know.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#8669 Flowette

Flowette

Level 56 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

My girlfriend used to play WoW and is a Diablo fan and such. Do you think TSW is a game I should consider getting for the 2 of us?

Well it's sub-free, so at least you know how much you'll spend on it. The story and setting is meant to be very good, the combat less so. After 3 1/2 years of WoW, I like anything a bit different. I'd suggest Guild Wars 2 as well, same payment model, good game. No real end-game content but the levelling process is pretty cool.

As for ARPG, look for Torchlight 2 when it's cheap. I've been playing it and I've had a blast. Moreso than Diablo 3 which I felt was very grindy in the end.

#8670 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

If you haven't already and want to go in on the 2 pack, let me know.

Thanks for the offer although it's probably something I'll debate until the eleventh hour given it's only a $0.24 difference.