Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#9421 Malibuz0r

Malibuz0r

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Only counts games you've bought from steam.

#9422 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

I picked up Spellforce 1 Complete for $1 in the last month from the IndieGalaStore.

Updated the Enhanced Steam Chrome plugin again. This time it will highlight all of the DLC in the game page that you own. Just in time for Magicka! Update to version 0.7!

Install Here

Spoiler

^_^ Just in time for Magicka (it's even worse than CK2 DLCs). Awesome work!

As a deaf person, I have a tendency to look at people's mouths when they are talking so I can try to lip-read...and I have to tell ya, LA Noire is amazing in that regard. In most video games, the characters' mouths don't really match up with the words they're saying, like, AT ALL. But in LA Noire they definitely did. It was awesome! Idk, I just notice weird things like that, haha.

Spoiler

Thanks for chiming in on that! It's neat to hear that their facial motion capture worked that well. (I'd followed what they were doing more than the actual game.)

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#9423 Keegs

Keegs

Owl + Bungee Cord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hey look! Payday The Heist is on sale!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9424 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Wow! That Enhanced Steam is amazing. For the total spent how does it calculate? What we actually paid or the current steam store price? Also does it included the prices of games we activated on steam bought else where such as Amazon.

It's just the games you've purchased from Steam, and just the price you paid when you paid. It's possible to calculate your "current value", but that would take the script a LONG time to go to each page, find the current price, and total it.

#9425 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Good point on the light blue. I guess keeping with Steam's color theme, the "user in game" color from the client would probably work best. Of course, if I were to implement an options page, you could change this to whatever color you wanted to.

I am partial to a light yellow or gold as a choice for items on your wishlist, the color of coins in games, as in "BUY BUY BUY!!!"

I'm aware there is a thread for Gamestop promotions, but this seems worth mentioning given how many of us have duplicates of the same game on multiple consoles. Gamestop is having a promo in which you get an additionaly $10 credit for every three games traded in worth more than $2 or $2.50 (I forget which), and I traded in 25 games or so that I have duplicates of on Steam or will never play again for a ridiculous $200 Steam credit. This promo expires on the 6th. Hopefully others benefit from this, and now before the Steam winter sale ends is the time to do it!

It's $2.00, and thanks, I had some games I wanted to get rid of that were rather low in the value department so this looks to be ideal, especially with the +30% to steam wallet promotion.
http://www.gamestop....ction/trade-in#

Guardian_owl.png

#9426 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Still not as bad as the SPAZ flash sale; the normal sale price [right now] is $3.40 [66%], flash sale was $2.50 [75%]. 90 cents of savings! :D
IMO, waste of a flash slot

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#9427 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for chiming in on that! It's neat to hear that their facial motion capture worked that well. (I'd followed what they were doing more than the actual game.)

No problem. I'm always willing to talk about games from a deaf player's perspective but I get the feeling that probably not too many people here are too interested in that :)

Do let me know if any of you want input on anything though!

In that vein, I'm annoyed that Assassin's Creed doesn't have subtitles. It just got pushed further back down my backlog because of that :P

#9428 sch0oldaze

sch0oldaze

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

can anyone comment on payday: the heist the videos look good but just don't know if it's worth it

#9429 Carlmundo

Carlmundo

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

No problem. I'm always willing to talk about games from a deaf player's perspective but I get the feeling that probably not too many people here are too interested in that :)

I'm interested :)

#9430 The Assembler

The Assembler

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

can anyone comment on payday: the heist the videos look good but just don't know if it's worth it

I think it's awesome. I haven't really played anything like it, where you get to pull off a variety of heists like in movies. It's a bit challenging, which is good because it make some of the missions super tense; like you'll be low on ammo and cops are shooting from all directions while you're waiting desperately to get something open, or trying to make an escape. For the record, I've pretty much only played with random people and it's worked out fine.

#9431 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

What's the CAG opinion of Painkiller?

#9432 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Do let me know if any of you want input on anything though!

In that vein, I'm annoyed that Assassin's Creed doesn't have subtitles. It just got pushed further back down my backlog because of that :P

I'm definitely interested as well. ;) I'm sure there would be many of us, since we all probably take audio in games for granted. =P

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#9433 Trudy

Trudy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Also interested!
Posted Image

#9434 Carlmundo

Carlmundo

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

I'm definitely interested as well. ;) I'm sure there would be many of us, since we all probably take audio in games for granted. =P

First thing I do on a game (other than change resolution) is set subtitles to on.

#9435 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

First thing I do on a game (other than change resolution) is set subtitles to on.

Yeah me too. I always play with the subs on. Sometimes their are funky accents or whatever or I just don't catch what someone is saying and even beyond that I like like having the subs up there to read.

And yes also interested in a deaf player's perspective on games here too. I actually think a blog about it would be a good idea. I'd read it. :)

steam_sig.png

#9436 DaiMonPaul

DaiMonPaul

On the Fringe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Also interested!

Me too! I think it's cool to get different perspectives on these things. Also, I can't believe a modern AAA game wouldn't have subtitles... what was Ubisoft thinking?

(Full disclosure: I always turn subtitles on. I'm more of a visual than auditory learner, so I find that I process information better and faster when I read it.)

#9437 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

I do the same, EXCEPT in certain games where big letters plastered across the screen ruins the mood.

For example, I'd suggest turning subtitles of on Bioshock. When creepy echoey splicer voices are hitting your ears, you're not completely sure where they're coming from, etc, it kills the mood when you see their entire long string of sentences plastered on your screen, before they have even said 90% of their lines.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#9438 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Okay so in working on the Enhanced Steam extension, I think I've hit a wall on the amount of features I can include while still building those features into a Greasemonkey script. I think for the time being, I'm just going to have to keep updating the Chrome extension solely.

Sorry Greasemonkey / Ninjakit users! :(

#9439 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Also interested!

Yeah me too. I always play with the subs on. Sometimes their are funky accents or whatever or I just don't catch what someone is saying and even beyond that I like like having the subs up there to read.

And yes also interested in a deaf player's perspective on games here too. I actually think a blog about it would be a good idea. I'd read it. :)

Guess I spoke too soon :P I probably can't commit to a blog, though. I'm too easily distracted, haha.

Me too! I think it's cool to get different perspectives on these things. Also, I can't believe a modern AAA game wouldn't have subtitles... what was Ubisoft thinking?

(Full disclosure: I always turn subtitles on. I'm more of a visual than auditory learner, so I find that I process information better and faster when I read it.)

I know! I was just as surprised as you. Luckily for me, the gaming industry has gotten to the point where I can kind of take subtitles for granted so I didn't even look into AC before buying it. I just assumed it would have subtitles. A little buyer's remorse there, but ah, what can ya do. I think the later games in the series do have subtitles, though, but I have to double check that.

But yeah, if there's any specifics you guys want me to discuss, or anything like that, let me know! I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

I do the same, EXCEPT in certain games where big letters plastered across the screen ruins the mood.

For example, I'd suggest turning subtitles of on Bioshock. When creepy echoey splicer voices are hitting your ears, you're not completely sure where they're coming from, etc, it kills the mood when you see their entire long string of sentences plastered on your screen, before they have even said 90% of their lines.

That's weird. I haven't played Bioshock in a while, but I don't remember having that issue. I'm tempted to install it again to see, ha. But I do love it when games include subtitles for ambient noises (Valve does this extensively) because that gives me an idea of the atmosphere I'm supposed to ... well, I guess use my imagination for. Since my ears can't help create that atmosphere for me, my mind has to. Same deal with horror flicks, so many of those are based on creepy noises and whatnot. For example, Paranormal Activity... without subtitles on for both dialogue and ambient noise, I'd be missing a lot.

#9440 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

wait wait wait
i just got out of work and there are games i want on sale?

sniper elite franchise
painkiller hell and damnation (or collection)
tomb raider series
the longest journey and dreamfall

what should i get?

#9441 Drizzt

Drizzt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

What's the CAG opinion of Painkiller?

I've played some of Painkiller: Black and it's a pretty fun and mindless shooter. Nice for when I just feel like shooting hundreds of enemies on the screen all at once. Pretty fast paced too, so it's a pretty good adrenaline rush most of the time. The bosses usually add a strategic element, so it's not completely faceroll easy. Only problem is that I tend to only play one level at a time since it doesn't offer much else in the way of things to do.

#9442 fore1337

fore1337

Back to a normal avatar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Grabbed Payday + DLC. \o/

#9443 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

I've played some of Painkiller: Black and it's a pretty fun and mindless shooter. Nice for when I just feel like shooting hundreds of enemies on the screen all at once. Pretty fast paced too, so it's a pretty good adrenaline rush most of the time. The bosses usually add a strategic element, so it's not completely faceroll easy. Only problem is that I tend to only play one level at a time since it doesn't offer much else in the way of things to do.

Like Left for Dead?

#9444 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

That's weird. I haven't played Bioshock in a while, but I don't remember having that issue. I'm tempted to install it again to see, ha. But I do love it when games include subtitles for ambient noises (Valve does this extensively) because that gives me an idea of the atmosphere I'm supposed to ... well, I guess use my imagination for. Since my ears can't help create that atmosphere for me, my mind has to. Same deal with horror flicks, so many of those are based on creepy noises and whatnot. For example, Paranormal Activity... without subtitles on for both dialogue and ambient noise, I'd be missing a lot.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Playing Portal 2 with full captioning includes a crazy amount of detail. I can imagine that would be a really nice feature for deaf people.

The thing is, I had subtitles turned on in Bioshock (since I always have subtitles turned on). But at the part (minor spoilers ahead)
Spoiler
, I realized that subtitles weren't the way to go in this game. Why? Because the splicer's long, rambling lines were immediately laid out in subtitles. When the splicer was speaking in slow, broken, crazy sentences, the subtitles had the entire 3-4 sentence phrase all typed out on the screen as soon as the splicer spoke her first word.

All in all, I guess it just ruined the mood for me. Didn't seem creepy at all, and it didn't make me listen, which I'd imagine a creepy, ambient game like Bioshock wants you to do. If you're deaf though, I guess there's not much way around that though, since you couldn't see the splicers lips moving or anything of the sort (she was rather far away, around a corner). Bioshock has a habit of making splicer talk audible from a REALLY long way away, so it's rather creepy when you have no idea how close or far you are. I'm not sure how that translates into subtitles though.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#9445 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

wait wait wait
i just got out of work and there are games i want on sale?

sniper elite franchise
painkiller hell and damnation (or collection)
tomb raider series
the longest journey and dreamfall

what should i get?

The Tomb Raider pack and The Longest Journey/Dreamfall packs are very good deals, I'd skip painkiller, and not sure about sniper elite.

#9446 Tane

Tane

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Never played a Total War game should I just start with Shogun 2? Going to give the TF2 helms to my brother since I don't play it. lol

i5 3570k | GTX 780 | FT02

#9447 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Come home from a 16 hr day at work... it's like I never left. Nothing for me today apparently.

#9448 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

The Tomb Raider pack and The Longest Journey/Dreamfall packs are very good deals, I'd skip painkiller, and not sure about sniper elite.

thank you
i think that is what i decided
forgot about mass effect collection though
might have to get that too
doubt the steam version will ever be less than $10 for both

#9449 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Like Left for Dead?

Painkiller: Black is best compared to say them old-school shooters.

Think like say Serious Sam games and many of the older type of shooters w/ tossing tons of enemies at you at an insanely fast-pace; and you have huge bosses to battle.

#9450 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

I was very much enjoying Sniper Elite V2 until I changed my video cards. With my AMD 7xxx series card the game goes into a hard lock at random necessitating hitting the power button to restart it. Looking around on the web, I'm not unique in this and no one has offered any good ideas on how to prevent it.

Was fun on my 9800 GTX+ though while it lasted.