Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#9451 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

No problem. I'm always willing to talk about games from a deaf player's perspective but I get the feeling that probably not too many people here are too interested in that :)

Do let me know if any of you want input on anything though!

In that vein, I'm annoyed that Assassin's Creed doesn't have subtitles. It just got pushed further back down my backlog because of that :P

Which AC? I think I played AC2 with Itallian language (and English subtitles), so my fuzzy recollection says that at least for the cutscenes there should be subtitles. I have AC1, 2, B, & R installed (and completed the latter three), I'd be happy to check.

Yeah me too. I always play with the subs on. Sometimes their are funky accents or whatever or I just don't catch what someone is saying and even beyond that I like like having the subs up there to read.

And yes also interested in a deaf player's perspective on games here too. I actually think a blog about it would be a good idea. I'd read it. :)

I usually turn them on, for odd accents, and audio interruptions (phone rings, fleshbag starts talking to me, power tools, howling from the basement).

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#9452 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

I always turn on subtitles now that I have a child. Since all toys seem to have some sort of annoying audio I can never hear the tv without pumping up the volume to room rumbling levels. Of course that doesn't sit well with my wife and probably isn't good for my son's delicate ears. Couple that with whisper quiet levels I have to play games at when he is sleeping and subtitleses are a must.

I know Assassin's Creed 3 had subtitles, but I played all the rest before my son was born, so I can't speak to those.

Another issue I sometimes have is inadequate brightness adjusters in game to lighten things up when playing on my tv. I hate changing the brightness on the tv back and forth, but some games force it. The Walking Dead was pretty bad. The scale from 1-10 provided little difference and some dark areas I could literally see nothing.

Ps: by "literally" I mean literally, not figuratively like all the dumb kids use it now.

#9453 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

The Tomb Raider pack and The Longest Journey/Dreamfall packs are very good deals, I'd skip painkiller, and not sure about sniper elite.

That Tomb Raider pack is a good deal for someone who doesn't have any of the TR games but as someone who has been around a bit and got the newer games when that was all that was on Steam I'm a little irked that buying all the newly released classic TR games costs just as much as getting the pack with all of them including the 3 I already own.

Not like I'll probably ever play 1990s DOS Tomb Raiders but still! :-P

Ps: by "literally" I mean literally, not figuratively like all the dumb kids use it now.

That must be the Gamersgate definite of literally.

Well when we said literally, we didn't literally mean literally...

steam_sig.png

#9454 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

Guess I'm in the minority? I almost always choose to play with subs off. My ADD and mild dyslexia make it hard for me to read at a normal game's pace. Luckily I have fairly good hearing which is surprising given the volume levels I used to (and still kinda) listen to music at.

#9455 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Which AC? I think I played AC2 with Itallian language (and English subtitles), so my fuzzy recollection says that at least for the cutscenes there should be subtitles. I have AC1, 2, B, & R installed (and completed the latter three), I'd be happy to check.

The first one! Although I guess I shouldn't be too bothered since it seems most people think it's ok to skip right to 2. *shrug*

#9456 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Guess I'm in the minority? I almost always choose to play with subs off. My ADD and mild dyslexia make it hard for me to read at a normal game's pace. Luckily I have fairly good hearing which is surprising given the volume levels I used to (and still kinda) listen to music at.

I used to but I found I miss so much when I don't have subs on. Also, it keeps me watching the screen during cut-scenes. I used to space out a lot (I'd always miss quick time events....)

Also, I'm so close to buying torchlight 2 but I already have diablo 3 to "finish". So for people who've played both how does torchlight 2 compare to D3? or Torchlight 1?

#9457 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

How exactly does Payday work if you're playing single player? Are you pulling off the heist yourself? Or are there other characters along with you that are bots?

#9458 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

How exactly does Payday work if you're playing single player? Are you pulling off the heist yourself? Or are there other characters along with you that are bots?

Bots. Kinda dumb ones at that.

#9459 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

Bots. Kinda dumb ones at that.

Some of the worst AI bots I've seen. They're Lost Planet 2 bad...

#9460 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

I didn't want Payday and kept avoiding it over the 800 different sales that it has been on. Then everyone around CAG started getting it and peer pressuring me but I still resisted!

Then someone gifted it to me and I was like aaww dammit.

Payback for all the Coconut Queens and Doom Railses, no doubt.

steam_sig.png

#9461 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

Nah, I always play with subs off myself. I prefer the cinematic experience.

#9462 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

This has to be the third or fourth time Payday has been part of a deal, yet I'm still waiting for Little Inferno to come up once as it didn't win the Community Vote it was in...

#9463 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

OK, so I'm sitting here looking at TLJ + Dreamfall on steam and can't decide if I want it or not. I'm a fan of P&C adventure games, like Myst and such and also Telltale's stuff like TWD and BttF. I've watched a few YouTube reviews and gameplay vids and I just can't seem to commit. Some said they hated it for basically being an "interactive movie" others said it's one of the best adventure games of this generation. So, someone help me out...are these true hidden gems I need to play to appreciate or are they cult fanfare that I can pass and won't miss?

#9464 kaydigi

kaydigi

BK All Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

I didn't want Payday and kept avoiding it over the 800 different sales that it has been on. Then everyone around CAG started getting it and peer pressuring me but I still resisted!

Then someone gifted it to me and I was like aaww dammit.

Payback for all the Coconut Queens and Doom Railses, no doubt.

Yep I play it everyday.

#9465 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

This has to be the third or fourth time Payday has been part of a deal, yet I'm still waiting for Little Inferno to come up once as it didn't win the Community Vote it was in...

I remember during the summer I wanted King's Bounty and it came up on a vote, lost and never showed up again. It must just be certain publishers and certain games that get authorized to be on sale. I mean how many times in the year, not just this sale, have we seen...

- Alan Wake
- Castle Crashers
- Borderlands 1 and 2
- All THQ games
- All Valve games
- Ghost Recon
- etc.

It's the same stuff over and over again. Just like some I'm going to buy what I want at the 50% mark since it's doubtful the games I'd like will go less than that. 50% off is not that bad anyway.

#9466 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

^^^^
Payday + DLC = Awesome!

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#9467 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's Favorite DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

OK, so I'm sitting here looking at TLJ + Dreamfall on steam and can't decide if I want it or not. I'm a fan of P&C adventure games, like Myst and such and also Telltale's stuff like TWD and BttF. I've watched a few YouTube reviews and gameplay vids and I just can't seem to commit. Some said they hated it for basically being an "interactive movie" others said it's one of the best adventure games of this generation. So, someone help me out...are these true hidden gems I need to play to appreciate or are they cult fanfare that I can pass and won't miss?

The Longest Journey is one of the best point-and-click adventures that I've ever played. Most of the puzzles are logical, but there are like 2 brain-busters in there, that I can think of.

Dreamfall isn't true P&C. It's more direct-control w/ WSAD and your mouse. Dreamfall is MUCH less about puzzles than TLJ, though. It's more of an interactive-story w/ some repetitive puzzle-types. It has a few stealth elements and some combat/action elements - which ain't so hot, if you ask me.

TLJ was great; while Dreamfall was just good.

Both have great stories and characters, though. If you are about great stories and great characters, you probably should get these "games."

#9468 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

I usually turn them on, for odd accents, and audio interruptions (phone rings, fleshbag starts talking to me, power tools, howling from the basement).

I turn them on when I'm watching something on the TV/Tablet while playing a game...

I can't be the only person that does this. Football? The fights? ...Gossip Girl?

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#9469 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

There's hardly anything more "Interactive movie" about the Longest Journey games than any other adventure game. Anyone saying that is the type of moron that says that about every game in the genre.

#9470 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

I used to but I found I miss so much when I don't have subs on. Also, it keeps me watching the screen during cut-scenes. I used to space out a lot (I'd always miss quick time events....)

Also, I'm so close to buying torchlight 2 but I already have diablo 3 to "finish". So for people who've played both how does torchlight 2 compare to D3? or Torchlight 1?

Also, I'll be playing solo so does that change people's opinions on Torchlight 2?

#9471 stupidproz1

stupidproz1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

Also, I'll be playing solo so does that change people's opinions on Torchlight 2?

I had just as much fun solo as I did on multiplayer with that game. I actually think 4 players on torchlight 2 is a little hectic.

#9472 lydon

lydon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

I remember during the summer I wanted King's Bounty and it came up on a vote, lost and never showed up again. It must just be certain publishers and certain games that get authorized to be on sale.

Yeah, I totally agree. I'm really hoping for the 75% Freedom Force but it's not looking too good.

JoeGazi.png

#9473 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

Nope. I been playing TL2 solo. I will do a MP-character, eventually.

Torchlight 1 plays more like Diablo 1, but the look and style of the game is Steampunk. The gameplay is this - you start in a town; and you keep descending down more and more levels; you fight bosses when you reach a certain level; can portal back to town; kill tons of enemies for crazy amounts of unique loot to equip, sell, and socket.

Torchlight 2 plays more like Diablo 2, but the look and style of this game is Steampunk. Now, you have multiple towns; open-areas to explore where there are side-quest dungeons and quests to tackle; plenty of enemies to kill to get loot of unique loot to equip, sell, socket, and upgrade.

10 hours or so into Torchlight 2 - it is the best ARPG since Diablo 2, so far. Sure - Sacred 1: Gold + Sacred 2; Silverfall: Complete; Titan Quest: Gold; and Dungeon Siege II: Broken World were all great - but dammit, Torchlight 2 flat-out OWNS THEM all.

EDIT:
About Diablo 3 - it's a pretty good ARPG, but it doesn't really give you much control of number-upgrading on your character's stats and skills. I really hate the "Always online DRM", when the game is VERY SOLO friendly. How is it SOLO Friendly? Well, in terms of being able to finish the game ALL by yourself w/ AI bot companions that constantly chatter to you and you find tons of lore that is in spoken-audio dialogue to you (like Bioshock) to tell you and give you more info about the story, characters, enemies, towns, and anything else you may encounter - yeah, that stuff makes it easier to go solo with than ever before.

#9474 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

What's the CAG opinion of Painkiller?

Painkiller Black is all you need. Those were made by the original developer People Can Fly. The publisher basically authorized others (I'll call them mod teams) to create the cheap sequels.

The weapons are among the most inventive you'll find in FPS games. Hordes of enemies, a bit of strategy in the use of Tarot Cards and tons of sequels. Watch this:

76561197971332172.png

#9475 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

The Longest Journey is one of the best point-and-click adventures that I've ever played. Most of the puzzles are logical, but there are like 2 brain-busters in there, that I can think of.

Dreamfall isn't true P&C. It's more direct-control w/ WSAD and your mouse. Dreamfall is MUCH less about puzzles than TLJ, though. It's more of an interactive-story w/ some repetitive puzzle-types. It has a few stealth elements and some combat/action elements - which ain't so hot, if you ask me.

TLJ was great; while Dreamfall was just good.

Both have great stories and characters, though. If you are about great stories and great characters, you probably should get these "games."

Interesting, I'm down for a good story. I didn't realize the mechanics were that different between the two. That alone has me curious as to which one I may like better. I think I'll get my feet wet. Thanks!

There's hardly anything more "Interactive movie" about the Longest Journey games than any other adventure game. Anyone saying that is the type of moron that says that about every game in the genre.

True. It was obvious that the reviews I watched were biased seemingly heavily in one direction or the other. That's why I wanted the opinion of the CAG Collective. :)

#9476 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

One pleasant surprise which I liked about The Longest Journey was the tone was surprisingly mature, compared to the usual adventure game fare.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#9477 rirath

rirath

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Nah, I always play with subs off myself. I prefer the cinematic experience.

I watch a large amount of subbed foreign content, so I'm not one bit an "anti-subs" guy, but for games I always turn them off. It's distracting to me to read well ahead of what's being said and 'wait' for them to finish talking.

Unless I'm purposely skipping through dialog quickly, that is.

#9478 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

For some games, I'll leave subs on because I can't understand wtf is going on without them, for others.. it can be distracting. It really depends on how clear the voice/dialogue is in the game I'm playing.

#9479 mjontrix

mjontrix

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

What who started the talk about subtitles...

BECAUSE I <3 THEM!

You can't play any games nowadays without them subs to understand half the grunting in any modern FPS LOL. It also makes sure you don't miss out on any of the story - although to be fair it DOES get distracting sometimes when the game has an entire paragraph up at once while the NPC is moving all over the place.

Although that last bit could be blamed on the devs being lazy when subbing the game xD

Okay so in working on the Enhanced Steam extension, I think I've hit a wall on the amount of features I can include while still building those features into a Greasemonkey script. I think for the time being, I'm just going to have to keep updating the Chrome extension solely.

Sorry Greasemonkey / Ninjakit users! :(

Make a Firefox addon! Cmon you know you want to :)

What's the CAG opinion of Painkiller?

Stick with Black, although since you don't have any of the games I'd wait until Hell and Damnation is in a 75% off bundle and buy that instead. It's an old-school FPS with very unique weapons - and it gets hectic very quickly!

#9480 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

One pleasant surprise which I liked about The Longest Journey was the tone was surprisingly mature, compared to the usual adventure game fare.

Amen.

A lot of topics addressed in this game were NOT talked about in games much, back in those days (1999) - i.e. sexuality of some characters.
Also, lots of discussions and themes in the game also revolve around religion and faith, too.

On another note - Flipper Burns is a riot and curses like insane. Constant F-bombs from him.