Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#11161 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

I used to love King's Quest back in the day. I wish Roberta Williams would make games again.

I actually bought the Sierra pack at GOG just a week ago, even though I have disk versions of KQ1-7. I think that makes it the 5th time I bought KQ6.

But I mostly wanted them for Space Quest, which I only played one of. And the GF has been wanting Police Quest/SWAT.

lol, as I'm typing this, she got a second Bee Shield, first one was in the last 30 minutes. To think we farmed it for like 2 days on the PS3.

elessar123.png

#11162 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

I keep reading TW2 as Two Worlds II rather than The Witcher 2, all made more confusing by the concurrent discussion about TWD.

Loving all the discussion of the Kings Quest, Phantasmagoria, and 7th Guest series. Games I love enough that I'v bought them all more than once. I still have most of them in their original boxes.

If I had purchased a copy of RPG maker, I would have attempted to make a gigantic adventure inside joke with my friends as the leads.

That's pretty much what I expect to do with it. It's probably the most sensible approach to anyone's "first game" while learning to use the tools.

#11163 bloodling

bloodling

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Nightmare in North Point, and I assume Zodiac but haven`t played it. Swat pack has 20 police missions.

Nightmare in North Point has some pretty bad reviews though.

#11164 Stonekeep

Stonekeep

ThePizzaDude

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

A lot of dlc are useless, there's even a dlc that gives you a car before unlocking it in the normal way...

#11165 deftrance

deftrance

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Ventured to the Comedy Club Gamersgate link and noticed MonsterRPG on the Recommended list as a free game. Just a head's up: http://www.gamersgat...2/monster-rpg-2

#11166 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I keep reading TW2 as Two Worlds II rather than The Witcher 2, all made more confusing by the concurrent discussion about TWD.

I normally refer to Two Worlds II as 2W2;
and refer to The Witcher 2 as TW2.

#11167 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

So what do you guys think today's price glitch will be? :P

#11168 Miranda

Miranda

about.me/adnarim

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

I didn't buy too much

November

GOG.com
Telltale collection (Back to the Future, Sam & Max 1-3, Tales of Monkey Island, Wallace & Gromit) 34.94

Humble THQ Bundle BTA

December

HIB7 BTA

Steam

Monkey Island Special Edition Bundle 3.74 (then it was gifted to me 22 minutes later)
Unmechanical 2x 2.49 (gifted one)
Insecticide Part 1 0.74 (gifted to a friend)

Amazon

Scribblenauts Unlimited 3x 7.49 (one for myself, two as gifts)

January

Humble Store

Don't Starve 11.99 (This wasn't on sale, but it was on my friend's wishlist, so I got it for her birthday and used the extra Steam key and kept the Chrome keys)

Steam

The Longest Journey + Dreamfall 6.74 (I was gonna wait until the next sale to get these, but reading this thread convinced me to get them now :P)

I still have all three of my Amazon EC discounts. I keep going back and forth on whether or not to get one of the packs with Borderlands GOTY in it, but I don't think I'll ever play it. I might get TWD to give as a gift since I already own it.

#11169 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Looks like it's as we thought - no new deals today they replaced the "yesterday's deal" section with the mascots sitting in movie theater seats.

#11170 Stonekeep

Stonekeep

ThePizzaDude

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

At least I bought New Vegas from GG.

#11171 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

A lot of dlc are useless, there's even a dlc that gives you a car before unlocking it in the normal way...

You know, saw the 91% yesterday and shoved all that DLC in my cart and hurried the hell up and paid for it while it was still that price.

Is there any way to disable the 'cheat' dlc that are really early unlocks of things that you unlock during the gameplay anyway? I really dislike Facebookizing of regular PC games like this and I wish that sort of pay to win DLC was very clearly denoted.

I know some other games like Magic do this crap too.

If I'm just stuck with it now then I'm kind of annoyed at that. I don't mind trivial cosmetic DLC but I don't want cheats and shortcuts.

steam_sig.png

#11172 DonRamon

DonRamon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

You know, saw the 91% yesterday and shoved all that DLC in my cart and hurried the hell up and paid for it while it was still that price.

Is there any way to disable the 'cheat' dlc that are really early unlocks of things that you unlock during the gameplay anyway? I really dislike Facebookizing of regular PC games like this and I wish that sort of pay to win DLC was very clearly denoted.

If I'm just stuck with it now then I'm kind of annoyed at that. I don't mind trivial cosmetic DLC but I don't want cheats and shortcuts.

I kinda figured it was going to be like this, just, there was no time to think. I'm gonna play the game straightforward without giving it too much thought.

Nevertheless, would be interesting to know if you can disable the cheat dlc.

#11173 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

So what do you guys think today's price glitch will be? :P

It'll wind-up w/ me saying...
"Thanks for free Skyrim + all DLC." ;)
j/k.

I really don't got a clue what the glitch will be. ;)

#11174 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Um.. did anyone else just buy XCOM for 95% off?

Spoiler

#11175 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Maybe we need to create a database of the 'early unlock' dlc in Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3, Magic etc and then it could be color coded say red or something in Enhanced Steam. ;)

Seriously though this a real problem with some games. I know Magic always has a ton of people asking questions about it and are really confused because some of the DLC are actual new content (new decks) but most are just early unlocks or sparkly foil crap.

Maybe cosmetic DLC could be orange colored. Hmm, but the database for cosmetic DLC would be much larger.

Still, if there was a way the community could add to the database I'd contribute some.

Probably way too complicated but I just wish there was an easy way to very clearly know when looking at a DLC whether it was new gameplay content, cosmetic or early unlocks.

steam_sig.png

#11176 poxi

poxi

something went wrong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

I had the same problem. I really enjoy challenging games, usually I play on the highest available difficulty, so I was really pissed after I saw I started game with 8 lvl, $200000 and probably one of the best car in my garage, which could be unlocked further in game.

To disable those pesky DLC you need to delete a certain files in the game directory:
1E6323E1.dat - Gold Top Dog
576E446C.dat - Silver Top Dog
E58008F5.dat - Red Envelope Pack
AC8D6F78.dat - High Roller Pack
Delete them before you start playing campaign. You'll need to restart and replay if you already receieved bonuses from them.

#11177 oman19

oman19

Master of the Universe

• CAGiversary!

This x1000. Early unlocks is one of the biggest banes of my existence when it comes to DLC.

#11178 Stonekeep

Stonekeep

ThePizzaDude

• CAGiversary!

I told you!

There's a lot of useless dlc though .

Ssshhhh! Stop making sense! It's 91% off! Let us just have this one moment! ;)

just kidding... I don't know if you can disable those dlc, try this:
http://forums.sleepi....php?f=7&t=2517

#11179 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

There's a lot of useless dlc though .

Ssshhhh! Stop making sense! It's 91% off! Let us just have this one moment! ;)

:rofl:

Although to be fair it's not like we really had time to sit there an analyze the hell out of which one was which on a price mistake. It was all or nothing.

I had the same problem. I really enjoy challenging games, usually I play on the highest available difficulty, so I was really pissed after I saw I started game with 8 lvl, $200000 and probably one of the best car in my garage, which could be unlocked further in game.

To disable those pesky DLC you need to delete a certain files in the game directory:
Delete them before you start playing campaign. You'll need to restart and replay if you already receieved bonuses from them.

Awesome, thanks I will do that!

I'm not going to cry about paying for them because they were like 17 cents each but I don't want those cheats in my game.

steam_sig.png

#11180 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Um.. did anyone else just buy XCOM for 95% off?

Spoiler

I wish The Sims 3 had gone 91% off yesterday too. There's a lot of crazy expensive DLC/Expansions with that game.

#11181 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

The cheat DLC won't change up the game too much for you. Don't worry. Having a blazingly fast car a few hours before the game arbitrarily decides to make one available won't throw the game off. The added XP lets you get to the combat variety of the game quicker AND alleviates the stress in the story missions of -5 for driving recklessly, constantly trying to ONLY wear the +XP clothes rather than having the freedom to pick... etc etc. Plus, when I CLEARED the story I still didn't have enough Triad XP to max out that line so anything to avoid that sort of grind is good.

As far as Sleeping Dogs DLC goes, there is a triad side mission pack, a cop side mission pack, a race side mission pack, Nightmare in North Point (Which in my opinion is mediocre at best, but done up like a cheesy kung fu movie.), and the Zodiac Tournament which is done up like an even cheesier kung fu movie which I haven't played yet and likely won't.

The side missions DLCs are probably worth looking into.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#11182 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

If you missed it for $4 on ths steam winter sale, GG has Cherry Tree High Comedy Club for $2.72 (DRM-FREE).

Aww. I'm 300 blue coins short. But I'm not sure I want any more games on Gamersgate that could disappear if they go under.

#11183 DonRamon

DonRamon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Oh this sucks, I already started.

Will steam be re-downloading them if I do this?

#11184 deftrance

deftrance

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

I would also like to know this.

#11185 poxi

poxi

something went wrong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Probably only with patch updates to the game. I deleted those files, played again to see if they are blocked and all is clear, they weren't redownloaded.
If you haven't reach further than ~40mins of gameplay, so if you haven't received a lot of popping messages about dlc, you can still delete files and block them by this.

#11186 Stonekeep

Stonekeep

ThePizzaDude

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Aww. I'm 300 blue coins short. But I'm not sure I want any more games on Gamersgate that could disappear if they go under.

Just download the installer (there's a guide on the gg thread) so you can keep that (and the serial) safe.

#11187 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

If you by any chance can scrounge up 6 games attached to your GG account that you haven't reviewed that's 300 coins right there.

Mac versions count if you happened to buy something that gives both the PC and Mac version. Also you can give bundles star reviews as well as the individual games in them.

Just download the installer (there's a guide on the gg thread) so you can keep that (and the serial) safe.

It's DRM free so no serial. Basically all you've go to do is backup the files, though I don't know if their installer still phones home on DRM free games. I kind of think it does but there is that guide that Walkonshadows posted that has been mentioned on the GG thread.

steam_sig.png

#11188 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Maybe we need to create a database of the 'early unlock' dlc in Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3, Magic etc and then it could be color coded say red or something in Enhanced Steam. ;)

Seriously though this a real problem with some games. I know Magic always has a ton of people asking questions about it and are really confused because some of the DLC are actual new content (new decks) but most are just early unlocks or sparkly foil crap.

Maybe cosmetic DLC could be orange colored. Hmm, but the database for cosmetic DLC would be much larger.

Still, if there was a way the community could add to the database I'd contribute some.

Probably way too complicated but I just wish there was an easy way to very clearly know when looking at a DLC whether it was new gameplay content, cosmetic or early unlocks.

I actually thought about this too, but the problem is that in order to implemented effectively it would need to pull from an external data source, maybe a google doc spreadsheet or something. From what I've seen, people start getting VERY suspicious of chrome extensions when they start pulling data in from other sites.

I could build a small database file and include it with the extension, but it would only be updated when the extension itself updated, which takes out the crowd-sourcing component.

I've thought about doing a similar system for games that have 3rd party (non-Steam) DRM.

#11189 DonRamon

DonRamon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Probably only with patch updates to the game. I deleted those files, played again to see if they are blocked and all is clear, they weren't redownloaded.
If you haven't reach further than ~40mins of gameplay, so if you haven't received a lot of popping messages about dlc, you can still delete files and block them by this.

Thanks.

I'm gonna try this now.

#11190 deftrance

deftrance

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Thanks.

I'm gonna try this now.

I'm also curious if placing a dummy file with the same name as read-only would cause issues with the game or simply block the re-downloading of the DLC.