Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#11191 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

I actually thought about this too, but the problem is that in order to implemented effectively it would need to pull from an external data source, maybe a google doc spreadsheet or something. From what I've seen, people start getting VERY suspicious of chrome extensions when they start pulling data in from other sites.

I could build a small database file and include it with the extension, but it would only be updated when the extension itself updated, which takes out the crowd-sourcing component.

I've thought about doing a similar system for games that have 3rd party (non-Steam) DRM.

Yeah the unannounced surprise 3rd party DRM, or even just having it buried in the fine print, its extremely obnoxious. I really hate that I have to spend a lot of time investigating if games have it or not, but I have come to have certain publishers on my crappy 3rd party DRM shit list (Focus, Ubi etc).

Still, I have gotten surprised by the 3rd party DRM in the past and it really pissed me the hell off. That's the kind of thing I want to know before I buy.

I get what you are saying though. It'd be nice to have the community update these things but it gets complicated. I know there is that Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam that flibitijibibo maintains which I am infinitely thankful for.

I don't really know if there's a good way to pluginize that or the DLC issue. I guess you could have a button for people to submit it and then add it based on that, but you'd be taking their word and it's open to abuse and misinformation. :cry:

#11192 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Well, I put together my haul list for the sale and I need to stop buying games.

Spoiler

#11193 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Still, I have gotten surprised by the 3rd party DRM in the past and it really pissed me the hell off. That's the kind of thing I want to know before I buy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I was actually a little steamed (ha) that I had to activate Doom Rails, but then I shrugged it off after realizing that the gameplay was SO BAD that I probably would never touch it again beyond the 13 minutes of it that I played.

#11194 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I was actually a little steamed (ha) that I had to activate Doom Rails, but then I shrugged it off after realizing that the gameplay was SO BAD that I probably would never touch it again beyond the 13 minutes of it that I played.

:rofl:

It's actually kind of stupid fun if you play with other people though.

I would play with you some time but it apparently doesn't work with Windows 8. :roll:

#11195 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Well fair points for the res (but then again this is an indie game); but comparing it to Persona 3 & 4 is giving it no chance now is it :D

Persona is more of an RPG than a VN adventure like Cherry Tree; you probably should be looking at more into RPGs then (if you desire more of the action charm) or VNs (Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate come to mind; Muv-Luv as well)...

Clearly when referring to charm I was comparing apples to apple of time/school/friend management between CHTCC and P3/P4. Regular CAGs on this thread have had discussions about it. I suspect the CTHCC translation is far to banal.

I was simply noting the 640x480, as it's not anything one would expect from a modern game, period.

Your action insinuation is out of the blue and puts words in my mouth.
Have your own opinion from your own mouth.
I'm not here to argue with you. I posted a deal, I posted my opinion of it from my own experience.

It's DRM free so no serial. Basically all you've go to do is backup the files, though I don't know if their installer still phones home on DRM free games. I kind of think it does but there is that guide that Walkonshadows posted that has been mentioned on the GG thread.

In my experience DRM-FREE games on GG don't encrypt the installer.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#11196 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I was tempted by the Recettear T-Shirt at MAGFest. Main issue was that my friends would have no context.

Posted Image

My list:

Steam:

Ys Origins
Dawn Of War Franchise Pack
Half Minute Hero
Deponia
Overlord Complete Pack

Amazon:
Paradox mini bundle
Posted Image

#11197 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Doom Rails is just a poor substitute for:

http://steamcommunit...ls/?id=92965463

#11198 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Also, I have some (possibly) good news for Enhanced Steam users. Seems that simply calculating the account total from Steam was doubling-up purchases made with Steam Wallet funds.

So in the next upcoming version the wallet purchases will be filtered out and will show a more realistic picture of what has actually been spent.

EDIT: FWIW, my "Total Spent" went from $2,200 to only $1,302, since I usually just buy Steam games with wallet funds.

#11199 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

greenlit

#11200 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

I was tempted by the Recettear T-Shirt at MAGFest. Main issue was that my friends would have no context.

Spoiler

It would buy it if it said Capitalism Ho! ;)

I realize that was a Carpe Fulgar invention though and not something from the original Japanese version of the game.

#11201 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

It would buy it if it said Capitalism Ho! ;)

I realize that was a Carpe Fulgar invention though and not something from the original Japanese version of the game.

Yeah, that's one of the big reasons I didn't pull the trigger.

And yes, it wouldn't shock me that it was Carpe Fulgar's creation. Sometimes those who do localization get a little creative.
Posted Image

#11202 unluckynumber11

unluckynumber11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

I bet anything that Fallout will be on sale tomorrow.

#11203 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

I bet anything that Fallout will be on sale tomorrow.

No Gabe will lul you into a false sense of security. Then BAM! Midweek Madness sale Fallout 91% off!

#11204 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

It's DRM free so no serial. Basically all you've go to do is backup the files, though I don't know if their installer still phones home on DRM free games. I kind of think it does but there is that guide that Walkonshadows posted that has been mentioned on the GG thread.

I know that, but I'm trying not to have to do that and keep local backups. I'm thinking this one might be worth waiting to get on Steam.

#11205 krevee

krevee

Missed The Boat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Sadly it doesn't have multiplayer:cry:
Posted Image

#11206 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Sadly it doesn't have multiplayer:cry:

Un-greenlit.

#11207 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

No Gabe will lul you into a false sense of security. Then BAM! Midweek Madness sale Fallout 91% off!

91% is the new 75%. Far Cry 3 90% off? No thanks. I'll wait for 91% and by then probably a price drop too.

#11208 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Yeah the unannounced surprise 3rd party DRM, or even just having it buried in the fine print, its extremely obnoxious. I really hate that I have to spend a lot of time investigating if games have it or not, but I have come to have certain publishers on my crappy 3rd party DRM shit list (Focus, Ubi etc).

Doom Rails is particularly bad on this. When it was released, it did not have 3rd-party DRM. The developer added the DRM in an update. People bought the game without extra DRM and ended up getting that extra DRM later.

That absolutely sucks.

#11209 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

People bought the game without extra DRM and ended up getting that extra DRM later.

Value-added!

#11210 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Doom Rails is particularly bad on this. When it was released, it did not have 3rd-party DRM. The developer added the DRM in an update. People bought the game without extra DRM and ended up getting that extra DRM later.

That absolutely sucks.

Well, Windows 8 is keeping my copy in mint condition with 0 installs.

#11211 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

That absolutely sucks.

Value-added!

Yeah he really needs a hot poker shoved up every orifice for that but, well, you see how popular that game is so maybe he will learn his lesson. Like Ubisoft. Because we know they have gone back and removed their crappy Tages or always online DRM from all the existing games that had it *sarcasm*

I kind of wish Doom Rails was more popular so as to generate more nerdrage for that nonsense. I probably shouldn't have supported it as much as I did but eh it was 74 cents and I am sure the BSB and myself combined were responsible for 95% of that games recent sales.

Well, Windows 8 is keeping my copy in mint condition with 0 installs.

Yeah there's that.

Okay, I officially nominate the Doom Rails dev for worst Developer of the Millennium.

Actually, EA sucks too for not updating The Sims Medieval for Windows 8, though in that case some people actually still give a shit about that game and someone in the community made a fix.

#11212 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Nightmare in North Point has some pretty bad reviews though.

It`s more Sleeping Dogs, and it`s cheap. I liked what I played of it so far, most games don`t get any single player story-based DLC so I`m pretty pleased with it.

#11213 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Your action insinuation is out of the blue and puts words in my mouth.
Have your own opinion from your own mouth.
I'm not here to argue with you. I posted a deal, I posted my opinion of it from my own experience.

I don't want to make things worse, but I feel like you responded unnecessarily defensively here. He made no such insinuation and headed his comparisons and discussion of "action charm" with the word "if," stopping well short of suggesting that you meant anything other than what you had said. His opinions were offered as his own, and I found the comparisons to be useful.

I'm just not seeing where his response was offensive, intentionally or otherwise. We need more :grouphug: here.

#11214 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

I don't want to make things worse, but I feel like you responded unnecessarily defensively here. He made no such insinuation and headed his comparisons and discussion of "action charm" with the word "if," stopping well short of suggesting that you meant anything other than what you had said. His opinions were offered as his own, and I found the comparisons to be useful.

I'm just not seeing where his response was offensive, intentionally or otherwise. We need more :grouphug: here.

Yeah, I did take it a little personally as, "you silly little gamer, maybe you'd like some swords to swing." But the way it was written felt like that to me. I agree that the most of the rest of his post contributes something to the thread. (Though defending 640x480 is a bit trollish. 640x480 about the same size as a 3x5 card on my screen.)

I'm also a bit tired of my simple deal noting being attacked -- like posting the $5 NFS: The Run (lowest price is has been), and getting a dozen useless (and unrealistic) posts of, "too $$$ waiting for the next Origin free-for-all sale".

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#11215 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

To be fair Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is made with RPG Maker so that's why the low res. Other RPG maker game like To the Moon for instance have lower resolutions. A number of adventure games that run on AGS or SCUMMVM do as well. Also a not insubstantial number of indie games I have come across in general.

Maybe because I tend to buy a lot of the above, 640x480 neither surprises me nor bothers me that much. Usually I will run them in a window anyway and in some cases there are options to upscale them with various filters.

#11216 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Posted Image

Crap, this was there?

I was at PAX Prime and didn't see that

Crap, you miss so much when you work a booth lol

Editor in chief at PanicGamer.com
Steam ID: TheRealJaysonguy
We're looking for people who want to review games, interested? Email: jobs@panicgamer.com

#11217 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

The resolution surprises me, too. Probably wouldn't have stopped me from buying it had I known beforehand.

On that note, here's my list of sale gains! I didn't bother including prices. Unless marked otherwise, items were bought through Steam at their best deal prices.

Purchased for myself:
Spoiler

Gifts and non-Steam items of note:
Spoiler

#11218 jatan11t

jatan11t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Anyone here manage to get Arma X for 90% off yesterday?

#11219 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

So I've decided that (for now) the best way to handle 3rd party DRM with Enhanced Steam is to simply scan the page for certain keywords and if it matches those keywords, display a warning. Something like this:

Posted Image

or:

Posted Image

what do you guys think? Will that work?

#11220 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

EA sucks too for not updating The Sims Medieval for Windows 8, though in that case some people actually still give a shit about that game and someone in the community made a fix.

Sims Medieval not being updated is a shame, I love that game.

I'm afraid to get the expansion because I'm worried I wont be able to patch it, I know there's a patch that exists, or a work around or something actually but I don't want to get it and brick my entire game.

Editor in chief at PanicGamer.com
Steam ID: TheRealJaysonguy
We're looking for people who want to review games, interested? Email: jobs@panicgamer.com