Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#11251 MKScorpion

MKScorpion

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Since everyone else is doing it, I might as well post my final haul. :)

Amazon
Spoiler

Humble Bundle 7 BTA

GMG
Borderlands 2 Season Pass

GamersGate
Spoiler

Steam
Spoiler

Gifted to me
DOTA 2

Gave away
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Metro 2033
BioShock 1
BioShock 2
Borderlands GOTY

All in all, my first Steam sale went great. I'm still surprised the Fallout games didn't go for a higher discount though.
Posted Image

#11252 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Anno 2070 just makes me sad panda. I love the genre and the game looks right up my alley but I just can't bring myself to support that outrageous DRM.

If GetGamesGo ever run it at $7.50 again though I might just deal with not having it on Steam and the shitty Tages and see if Flow or someone in the UK can grab it for me. That is if it's not region locked. I wouldn't put it past them to do that either.

As someone else previously said that game is locked down tighter than a nun's crotch, meanwhile the pirates have all the keys.

#11253 bloodling

bloodling

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

I like to pretend the game doesn't exist, because of the included horrible TAGES DRM. Can't recommend buying it unless it's $5 or less.

What's so terrible about it?

#11254 Chameh

Chameh

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

What's so terrible about it?

It has a 3 machine activation limit.

76561197965911875.png

#11255 bloodling

bloodling

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

It has a 3 machine activation limit.

I thought that the first machine didn't count, so technically it would be 4 machines.

#11256 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

That doesn't make it not terrible.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#11257 rhinobucket

rhinobucket

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

steam SUCKS
if this is the way games are going count me out
what a big hassle

#11258 bloodling

bloodling

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

That doesn't make it not terrible.

Well from what I've read:

"Once you reach 0 activations, in 30 days you automatically get 1 more, each month until you reach 4 again."

That sounds pretty fair to me.

#11259 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

"Once you reach 0 activations, in 30 days you automatically get 1 more, each month until you reach 4 again."

youre forgetting that we all have 4 machines that we install our games on plus we have to do it each month :roll:
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#11260 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

steam SUCKS
what a big hassle

Good contribution, I look forward to future posts from you.

Do you have a source for this, because this is the first I've heard of it. Edit: Nevermind, I misread on first glance. Still terrible.

Better yet, I see there's a thread on the SPUF where Motoki posts about TAGES possibly being removed with a Christmas update. I've got the game installed now, redeemed on December 30th so if this is true I shouldn't have TAGES on mine. Where can I check to see if this is true?
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#11261 bloodling

bloodling

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

Do you have a source for this, because this is the first I've heard of it.

I don't think that I can add links to my posts yet but if you type Anno 2070 TAGES DRM FAQ in Google you should find it easily.

Edited by bloodling, 06 January 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#11262 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Best as I can tell TAGES is indeed gone from Anno 2070. No files with the word TAGES in their name in the install directory, and the two drivers that should be in the windows\system32\drivers\ directory (according to a post about Risen) are nowhere to be found.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png

#11263 bloodling

bloodling

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Edit: Nevermind, I misread on first glance. Still terrible.

Terrible is a strong word. I still don't understand what's so terrible about it.

#11264 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Let's see here...

steam SUCKS

Well, putting the verb in all caps certainly makes your point rock solid and, as if by some magical force, also provides a staggering amount of constructive criticism. Touche, sir.

My good sir, what way are you talking about? The way of significantly lower prices than console games? Or perhaps you refer to one-step installation? Or possibly you mean the convenient ability to own a large library of games without cluttering your physical space?

what a big hassle

True. Shopping in your pajamas and having your games (which you saved significant money on) downloaded while you have brunch is certainly a greater hassle than showering, getting dressed, buying gas, driving to the store, dealing with obnoxious minimum-wage workers, and paying full-price for a game.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#11265 Purple Flames

Purple Flames

MC Sucka DJ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Is Steam downloading extremely slowly for anyone else?

#11266 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

OK Enhanced Steam has now been updated to v1.3

changelog v1.3
-----
+ Reduced the amount of caching and the number of HTTP GET requests overall
: Fixed a bug where Steam Wallet purchases were miscalculating total spent
+ Added DRM warning to some product pages

Hopefully you guys can crowdsource the DRM thing a little bit for me. If you are using the extension and find a game on Steam that HAS a 3rd party DRM scheme, mentions it ANYWHERE on the page, but doesn't come up with a red bar, let me know. :D

#11267 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Aw, I almost got excited and went to buy Anno 2070, but it looks like it still uses Tages.

#11268 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Aw, I almost got excited and went to buy Anno 2070, but it looks like it still uses Tages.

Steam store pages are notoriously inaccurate wrt DRM situations. If it was recently removed, I doubt anyone from Ubisoft thought to contact Valve about it to have them change the page. Still need confirmation, but from my end it looks like there is no Tages, just the uPlay requirement.

OK Enhanced Steam has now been updated to v1.3

Hopefully you guys can crowdsource the DRM thing a little bit for me. If you are using the extension and find a game on Steam that HAS a 3rd party DRM scheme, mentions it ANYWHERE on the page, but doesn't come up with a red bar, let me know. :D

Awesome. If you want to consider requiring an EA Account as added DRM, then there's at least The Sims missing: http://store.steampo....com/app/47890/
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png

#11269 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

I don't know why I never played Recettear but it's fucking awesome.

It's basically Japanese Pawn Stars, except you own the shop and you get to go out to dungeons and kill shit for loot to sell in your shop.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#11270 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

good contribution, i look forward to future posts from you

lmfaaao :applause:

76561198003417354.png

Steam: kagegao | XBL: MC Kage | The BackLoggery

WTB: - Xbox 360 S/E (with 250GB HDD or more) for Cheap

-GoW3, Halo 4, Halo Wars, GTA V, BF4

#11271 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Wasn't there a pack which included Showtime and Katy Perry for Sims 3? Where did it go?
Hidden. Doesn't show up under Sims 3 DLC.
http://store.steampo....com/app/47936/

Does this include the Sweet Treats? Looks to me it doesn't.

#11272 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

...Shopping in your pajamas...

Already too much work. I'm not putting on clothes just to buy games. Steam sucks.

#11273 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Personally, I would call TW2 an action game with RPG elements because for me (admittedly I'm not a huge fan of involved real time action combat; I'm weird) there was a lot of emphasis on your moves and timing and what you used with what enemy etc etc much more so than something like Skyrim where you can just go through the combat easily enough but spamming a slash button. I realize that's splitting hairs though and that pretty much all modern (non-indie) RPGs are really just wordy action games anyway.

I can see where there are elements of TW2 that are interactive movie-ish, there's a lot of dialog scenes where you choose various options, but the game as a whole in its entirely is not an interactive movie. More of an action game with a lot of interactive movie interludes plus a lot of fussing with items and skills in an busy, ugly obnoxious (to me) UI. :-P

I also didn't love that if you take too long reading sometimes it will force an option for you. There were definitely times I was like 'Excuse me? I was still reading and deciding and I would not have picked that option'.

I guess I am in the same camp of Rerujnoc that I enjoyed the first game better. There were some annoyances like a lot of running around at times, and the combat was rather different and could be a bit hard to get used to at first, but overall I thought it had more character and flavor (and a great UI), was more of an RPG (to me) and I just found it personally to be a great experience.

I really wanted to love TW2 so much so that I even bought the expensive collector's edition with the crazy plaster head and everything. It's visually gorgeous in a way that RPG(ish) games don't usually see (without a ton of mods anyhow) but it's just kind of bleh for me.

And I do know the lore pretty well too. It's not that complicated at its core. It's basically non humans tread badly by humans and fight back hard (insurgency/terrorism), grey area are they bad or good or both you decide etc etc.

I don't disagree. The "game picks option for you" is probably something CD Projekt copped from BioWare. As I said earlier, I actually did prefer the combat from the first game; it was a unique system. (Also the intro movie for The Witcher--best intro movie ever!)

I can see where folks are coming from regarding getting lost in the lore. TW2 in particular throws a lot of faction and place names at you in the prologue and CD Projekt kind-of expects you to know who/what/where these things and people are. If you don't, you're just nodding along with the narration.

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#11274 Guimengo

Guimengo

Sim and Real Racing + Sports

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

I didn't buy a single thing and don't regret it.

#11275 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

I don't know why I never played Recettear but it's fucking awesome.

It's basically Japanese Pawn Stars, except you own the shop and you get to go out to dungeons and kill shit for loot to sell in your shop.

LOL
I love pawn stars!
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#11276 Pr0f1t

Pr0f1t

Trophywhorus Rex

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Just made a SteamGifts giveaway for Bioshock & you guys are invited.
http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/SKqiM/

Only running it through tomorrow & is invite only, so hit it up. Good luck & enjoy!

Pr0f1t on Steam.

#11277 oman19

oman19

Master of the Universe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Only running it through tomorrow & is invite only, so hit it up. Good luck & enjoy!

Pr0f1t on Steam.

Sweet Thx for offering it. How do I get an invite?

#11278 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

I don't want to start the whole drm back and forth again because tired argument is tired.

For me personally though it's much too much. Steam already verifies that you own the game without limits. Anno 2070 also requires Uplay which also verifies you own the game without limits (as well as only giving you access to certain items if you are online but that's another issue). To add another layer of drm on top of that and one with extra limits and potential hoops to jump through to me is ridiculous and I refuse to support it, at least at this price point.

Better yet, I see there's a thread on the SPUF where Motoki posts about TAGES possibly being removed with a Christmas update. I've got the game installed now, redeemed on December 30th so if this is true I shouldn't have TAGES on mine. Where can I check to see if this is true?

No it was a false alarm due to some misinformed person talking out of his ass. The Tages is still there. I need to edit that post.

#11279 Dravo

Dravo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Pr0f1t on Steam.

Sweet Thx for offering it. How do I get an invite?

Just click the link.

Btw Thanks for the Contest

Edited by frogkiller, 07 January 2013 - 12:08 AM.
I r Silly

#11280 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

No it was a false alarm due to some misinformed person talking out of his ass. The Tages is still there. I need to edit that post.

Are you sure? As I mentioned, neither of the Tages drivers are in my system32 directory and I'm seeing no references to it in my install directory; uPlay folder looks clean as well. Don't know where else to look for it but I've come up with nothing.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png