Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#11521 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

you can only derive so much satisfaction from yanking enemy spinal cords via rectums before it gets old.

/installs

76561197971332172.png

#11522 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

you can only derive so much satisfaction from yanking enemy spinal cords via rectums before it gets old.

In what alternate universe?

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#11523 DonRamon

DonRamon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

http://kotaku.com/59...own-off-tonight

With more than 50 million subscribers around the world, Steam is the digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications/community platform from Valve Corporation.

What a wonderful reminder that to Valve I'm just a subscriber.

This is not going to be the steam box, ain't it?? It says Valve backed PC hardware, in words, mere branding.

#11524 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

Re: The Steambox.

I think the good news from the consumer end is that you have a very lucrative company with a dominant share of the digital download market pushing for Linux viability. Possible benefits:

* Breaking up the near virtual monopoly Microsoft has with Windows and forgoing people's need to pay for an OS (Steam's massive market leverage will force a lot of AAA publishers to start making Linux versions).

* Make 'PC Gaming' more affordable to people who exclusive/majority play on consoles. Of course this all depends on how much it will cost and what exactly is included hardware-wise.

* Drive down the price of PC components, GPU, etc (dependent on the point above).

If they can deliver a PC-console for around $300-$500 that plays every modern title with good performance I'd probably switch to buying them every 2-4 years depending on how often they offer 'upgraded' versions.

#11525 BoringPat

BoringPat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

I think the good news from the consumer end is that you have a very lucrative company with a dominant share of the digital download market pushing for Linux viability. Possible benefits:

* Breaking up the near virtual monopoly Microsoft has with Windows and forgoing people's need to pay for an OS (Steam's massive market leverage will force a lot of AAA publishers to start making Linux versions).

* Make 'PC Gaming' more affordable to people who exclusive/majority play on consoles. Of course this all depends on how much it will cost and what exactly is included hardware-wise.

Agreed. Anyone who has experience of building a PC from components can tell you that the most expensive component in a DIY PC is likely the Microsoft OS. Of course, I am talking about a sub-$600 gaming PC, not a God-rig.
Posted Image
Games are meant to be bought and hoarded!

#11526 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

Luckily, you have other options...

God, I really do love that game.

Edit: I just need you guys to know that I officially hate Civilization 5 again. Rome has rockets... fuggin' rockets. I quit.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#11527 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

Agreed. Anyone who has experience of building a PC from components can tell you that the most expensive component in a DIY PC is likely the Microsoft OS. Of course, I am talking about a sub-$600 gaming PC, not a God-rig.

I find that Windows is usually slightly cheaper than the CPU or GPU, but it's still a large part of the cost. Had I bought Windows for my latest build (just got a copy before my MSDNAA access was revoked), the cost would have been ~15% higher.

#11528 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:59 AM

Saw that over the weekend. Really interested in it, just for portable PC gaming.

I heard about it on NPR of all places. They said there were a bunch of glitches at the demo, though. (RE: nvidia's Shield)

I admire your method of initializing the name. Well done.

Geographically *and* grammatically aligned!

I agree that every other point is cool for us, but I was thinking wouldn't there be a danger of pubs deciding to forgo the PC market then, or even sloppier ports than we already see? Totally talking out of my ass, as I have no clue the difficulties involved in making gaming work on Linux.

Coming back full circle to the ass (i.e. gore and violence in the Darkness II), it hits me every so often, playing a title, how blase we can be about sociopathy (Mafia 2) and sadism (tD2) in our games—when it's not the focus (Postal). That upcoming beating-orphans-with-a-slimjim game probably won't have any CAGs batting an eyelid.

Edited by dfg, 08 January 2013 - 06:05 AM.
clar

¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#11529 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

That upcoming beating-orphans-with-a-slimjim game probably won't have any CAGs batting an eyelid.

That's not a game; it's a career path.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#11530 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

Luckily, you have other options...

God, I really do love that game.

And that video doesn't even include the executions of the 4 multiplayer characters (but which don't have Darkness tentacles).
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#11531 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

You can get an upgrade copy of Win8 for $15. Sure, not typical, as one would expect to pay closer to $100 normally. Even on a sub $600 I would probably spend more than that on processor and gfx card.

#11532 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

TLDR; So the news about THQ, what happens to the South Park game?
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#11533 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

That upcoming beating-orphans-with-a-slimjim game probably won't have any CAGs batting an eyelid.

/thumbs up

#11534 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

I know some people will poo-poo it because of Metro, but Microsoft has had Windows 8 for $40 since back in October and that's running through the end of this month.

http://www.microsoft...e.Windows_8_Pro

*Edit: and as Predatore pointed out if you already have a current Windows version you can just upgrade that for $15.

Honestly once I got my trusty Stardock Sins of a Fallen Start Button I never even notice the touch screen stuff and it just looks like Windows 7 and boots up into the normal desktop.

As for the Steam Box, eh, we'll see. I think a lot of AAAs will be reluctant to get on board. I don't see EA doing it at all (unless they get their own Origin Linux box :-P) and probably the same for Ubi.

THQ commented they'd consider Linux if their Humble Bundle did well but, uh, yeah we see how well they're doing.

I think Valve would need to lead that way with something big. And I'm not talking DOTA MOBA OMGWTFBBQ either, I am talking Half Life 3 for Linux big.

Otherwise, I don't think people are trying to pay $100-$300 to play pixel graphic indie games that look like something they could already get on XBLA.

*Edit2: Uh, yeah, they're really going to need to work on the number of Linux games they have.

Posted Image

Keep in mind that some of that already very limited number of games aren't controller enabled and aren't suited for big picture mode either.

They'd also better make it damned clear when they are selling this thing that it only plays a limited subset and not all games on Steam.

steam_sig.png

#11535 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

The Darkness II was a Redbox rental on 360 for me, and I had lots of fun with it. The voice acting is top quality for a game, and the story pacing is quite indicative of a big-budget movie screenplay. It's fast-paced with many dynamic changes that hold your attention, including flashbacks and flash-sideways episodes. Visuals have been greatly improved upon, controls are much tighter (at least with the controller) and missions are varied enough with an arrange of new elements being introduced throughout. I put about 12 hours into the first story, then started up a New Game Plus to get the rest of the story (yes, it has multiple endings). The interview-style segues are one of my favorite parts of the game, aside from the intuitive controls.

I dabbled with the assassination missions to get the achievements. They are an excellent add-on that would've been released as a full XBLA tie-in if the series was owned by CAPCOM. ;) You get many different characters bursting with unique powers and weaponry, and there are plenty of hard boss fights to do either solo or multiplayer.

This game vastly improves on the first. Visually stunning and extremely captivating with some great dialogue and awesome delivery. They don't need to make a movie about this game because it already has that A-list Tarantino feel to it. After playing it, I went back and tried the first one, but I just couldn't get into it. Darkness II is so much better than the first game in nearly every aspect.

For $2.49 on Amazon, it's an absolute steal. Buy it.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#11536 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

Play the Darkness II demo on Steam. That's all it took to sell me on the game.

#11537 Guimengo

Guimengo

Sim and Real Racing + Sports

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

That's not a game; it's a career path.

Hahahahaha :lol:.

htya.jpg

3DS, GameCube, N64, DreamCast, PS1, PS2, PS3, PC, DVDs, iPod: Here

#11538 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

The Darkness II was a Redbox rental on 360 for me, and I had lots of fun with it. The voice acting is top quality for a game, and the story pacing is quite indicative of a big-budget movie screenplay. It's fast-paced with many dynamic changes that hold your attention, including flashbacks and flash-sideways episodes. Visuals have been greatly improved upon, controls are much tighter (at least with the controller) and missions are varied enough with an arrange of new elements being introduced throughout. I put about 12 hours into the first story, then started up a New Game Plus to get the rest of the story (yes, it has multiple endings). The interview-style segues are one of my favorite parts of the game, aside from the intuitive controls.

I dabbled with the assassination missions to get the achievements. They are an excellent add-on that would've been released as a full XBLA tie-in if the series was owned by CAPCOM. ;) You get many different characters bursting with unique powers and weaponry, and there are plenty of hard boss fights to do either solo or multiplayer.

This game vastly improves on the first. Visually stunning and extremely captivating with some great dialogue and awesome delivery. They don't need to make a movie about this game because it already has that A-list Tarantino feel to it. After playing it, I went back and tried the first one, but I just couldn't get into it. Darkness II is so much better than the first game in nearly every aspect.

For $2.49 on Amazon, it's an absolute steal. Buy it.

Almost totally agree except I thought a lot of the multiplayer assets were recycled—their weapons were cool, though. But yes, tons of polish on it and they got a lot of little gameplay things right, such as skipping cutscenes and dialogue, checkpoints even midway through tough fights, really quick load times, selectable chapters in the new game+, etc. Its brevity is forgivable in light of all that. Made rushing through a NG+ much more bearable.

I broke my OCD rule about not playing franchise games out of order for this and don't regret it. The recap at the beginning was nice, except, and subtitle-users/lovers take note, it's not subtitled even when you turn them on. Having those collectible relics descriptions both written out and voiced (with excellent voice work by twitchy character actor dude) is even more icing. Agreed, outstanding deal at that price.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#11539 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

I know some people will poo-poo it because of Metro, but Microsoft has had Windows 8 for $40 since back in October and that's running through the end of this month.

That's an upgrade version, isn't it? The language on the page certainly implies it...
"To install Windows 8 Pro upgrade, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7."

#11540 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

*Edit: and as Predatore pointed out if you already have a current Windows version you can just upgrade that for $15.

Honestly once I got my trusty Stardock Sins of a Fallen Start Button I never even notice the touch screen stuff and it just looks like Windows 7 and boots up into the normal desktop.

As for the Steam Box, eh, we'll see. I think a lot of AAAs will be reluctant to get on board. I don't see EA doing it at all (unless they get their own Origin Linux box :-P) and probably the same for Ubi.

THQ commented they'd consider Linux if their Humble Bundle did well but, uh, yeah we see how well they're doing.

I think Valve would need to lead that way with something big. And I'm not talking DOTA MOBA OMGWTFBBQ either, I am talking Half Life 3 for Linux big.

Otherwise, I don't think people are trying to pay $100-$300 to play pixel graphic indie games that look like something they could already get on XBLA.

*Edit2: Uh, yeah, they're really going to need to work on the number of Linux games they have.

Posted Image

Keep in mind that some of that already very limited number of games aren't controller enabled and aren't suited for big picture mode either.

They'd also better make it damned clear when they are selling this thing that it only plays a limited subset and not all games on Steam.

Why is it that EA is moving their games to Origin? Because they don't want to pay Valve a 20% - 30% Steam tax. But if EA stays on Windows, and assuming Metro eventually becomes the only choice for Windows (which is what Gaben seems to think will happen), then EA would have to pay the same 30% to Microsoft instead of Valve. So it behooves EA and other publishers to move to an open platform like Linux where they don't have to pay anyone to distribute their "apps" through some "store" - they can just open their own store (in EA's case, they would port their games & Origin to Linux).

I don't much like Steam (I know, right? I picked this thread to say it...) but Gaben is right about MS removing the "opennes" from Windows. He's worried that if eveything had to go through the Metro store, then there would be no reason for Steam and no money for Valve. At least with an open platform like Linux, all the players can compete equally. As a die-hard Linux user, I couldn't be happier about this.

#11541 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Why is it that EA is moving their games to Origin? Because they don't want to pay Valve a 20% - 30% Steam tax.

Really, the catalyst seemed to be a disagreement regarding control over DLC distribution.

#11542 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

I think all that stuff about Windows 8 forcing the app store is baseless. That's only if you want your software enabled for the mobile store. I don't see Microsoft forcing everyone to use it even if you just want straight up PC software that's not touch enabled.

Also, with EA it's not just Valve they have to pay money to. They've had to pay a middleman years to sell their games at retail and they do it with any other digital download retailer they sell from too. They just want to try to cut out all middlemen, decrease costs and not pass those savings onto the consumer. If anything, the sales on Origin (mistakes and coupon abuse aside) are much worse than those from other digital download retailers that sell EA games even though EA still has to give them a cut.

But yeah, the whole DLC thing seems to be a sticking point because EA (in my opinion) is trying to be slick and piggyback on the traffic and popularity of other stores to get their foot in the door with the base game then forcing you to come to them for the DLC.

I think to say that it's bad that EA has to pay Valve a cut to sell their games is a bit much. Any publisher has to pay any store on or offline a cut to sell their games. The only alternative is that every publisher make their own store and force you to come to each of them, and I think that scenario would be worse for gamers personally.

steam_sig.png

#11543 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Sounds more like $500-$1000 :-s

Xi3 wouldn't discuss price for Piston, but commented that the Steam Box is based on its "performance level" X7A offering, which is priced at $999. Xi3 declined to comment on what would differentiate Piston hardware-wise from a standard X7A.

Xi3 also offers the entry level X5A, which is priced at $499 with a Linux operating system.

#11544 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

I think all that stuff about Windows 8 forcing the app store is baseless. That's only if you want your software enabled for the mobile store. I don't see Microsoft forcing everyone to use it even if you just want straight up PC software that's not touch enabled.

Actually, that's what pretty much everyone thinks is happening: Microsoft (and Apple) are moving towards unifying their desktop and mobile OS's, forcing all their users into one controlled & walled environment. That's what Valve is afraid is happening as well - hence the move to Linux to hedge their bets.

Also, with EA it's not just Valve they have to pay money to. They've had to pay a middleman years to sell their games at retail and they do it with any other digital download retailer they sell from too. They just want to try to cut out all middlemen, decrease costs and not pass those savings onto the consumer. If anything, the sales on Origin (mistakes and coupon abuse aside) are much worse than those from other digital download retailers that sell EA games even though EA still has to give them a cut.

If Origin is the only place to buy EA PC games, there is no middle-man. And PC games are moving, however slowly, into an all digital download future.

I think to say that it's bad that EA has to pay Valve a cut to sell their games is a bit much. Any publisher has to pay any store on or offline a cut to sell their games. The only alternative is that every publisher make their own store and force you to come to each of them, and I think that scenario would be worse for gamers personally.

Nobody is saying that it's "bad" either way: EA is a business trying to maximize their profits, and if that involves avoiding paying Valve (or Microsoft) for distribution then it's the right business move to make.

Finally, I do think every major publisher will eventually have their own store - Ubi is apparently moving more stuff into Uplay, and there have even been rumors of Actiblizz doing something similar.

#11545 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Sounds more like $500-$1000 :-s

I seriously doubt that they would price it over $500. In fact, I'm willing to bet they would go so far as to sell it at a loss...

#11546 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

hmm alright lets get a fund started and buy a franchise, which one we goin after?
I vote saints row!

My vote goes to...
Spoiler

Thanks collective CAG for posting your holiday hauls. Here's mine
Spoiler

And for those of you suffering from post-promotion depression, here's a chance to win Bad Rats:
Spoiler

#11547 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Random post Winter Sale sale: Batman Arkham City GOTY at 66% off.

Still can't buy the Harley DLC I want separately...
Posted Image

#11548 m0ds

m0ds

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Time to break up the discussion with a simple giveaway ;) Who wants a free copy of The Book of Unwritten Tales and the new prequel Critter Chronicles ?

Steam hybrid keys for one lucky person

BOUT: MIPZA-LIGKQ-E7KIX
CC: 45MPL-L9ICW-8030T

Let me know if it works.

#11549 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Time to break up the discussion with a simple giveaway ;) Who wants a free copy of The Book of Unwritten Tales and the new prequel Critter Chronicles ?

Let me know if it works.

1st is already taken...
And 2nd is lurked too.

Thanks for the chance though.
Posted Image

#11550 audio vicious

audio vicious

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Let me know if it works.

Lurked. Thanks for your effort though.