Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#11671 poxi

poxi

something went wrong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Regular price drop on Max Payne 3. It costs $39.99 / 29,99€ now.

#11672 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

just noticed sacred 2 is now on steam

mediocre game tbh but i laughed SO HARD when i stumbled on this

Wow, that is awesomely bad!

Hah! Priceless, thanks for sharing that. I really want that game now :P

Computer animated Hansi never thought I would have saw that. :lol:

So apparently there was some crazy Arma II bundle multiple discount stacking price glitch that we missed. How did this happen? I don't even want it but price mistake? I'm there! :-P

Of course it kind of depended on owning some of those games already to get the 90% off so that would count me out.

We must be slipping in our old age.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11673 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

The only reason why I even heard of Sacred 2 was because Blind Guardian did a song for it and was heavily promoting it.
Posted Image

#11674 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

just noticed sacred 2 is now on steam

mediocre game tbh but i laughed SO HARD when i stumbled on this

Posted Image

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#11675 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

In other SPUF news, people are panicking that THQ pre-order games will get bought be EA and yanked off of Steam.

Part of me almost wants to pay the crazy expensive pre-order prices for Company of Heroes 2, Metro Last Light and maybe even South Park in the fear that they might get yanked before they make it in but maybe they'll honor pre-orders?

Yes, I'm being neurotic but I don't want to miss a window to get games on Steam. :-P

I hope that doesn't end up being the case. I'm not completely averse to Origin, but I definitely don't load it up often. (After completing Dead Space 2, Origin has been in hibernation on my hard drive.) I'm definitely going to keep my eyes on those titles, and, hopefully, that scenario won't play out.

#11676 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

Sacred 2 doesn't really take itself seriously. They even play parts of that song in the opening cinematics. A cinematic that includes Tit Angels and Cyborg Anubis.

#11677 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

So apparently there was some crazy Arma II bundle multiple discount stacking price glitch that we missed. How did this happen? I don't even want it but price mistake? I'm there! :-P

Of course it kind of depended on owning some of those games already to get the 90% off so that would count me out.

In other SPUF news, people are panicking that THQ pre-order games will get bought be EA and yanked off of Steam.

Part of me almost wants to pay the crazy expensive pre-order prices for Company of Heroes 2, Metro Last Light and maybe even South Park in the fear that they might get yanked before they make it in but maybe they'll honor pre-orders?

Yes, I'm being neurotic but I don't want to miss a window to get games on Steam. :-P

Kinda like those 15 people that own prey on steam
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#11678 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

Hey I own prey on steam

#11679 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

GG was selling Steam keys for it a couple of years back.

#11680 msdmoney

msdmoney

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

Hey I own prey on steam

Me too. There are probably a lot of people actually. At some point the ability to register retail copies of prey was added, and they had prey for $2 at one point in the early days of steam sales.

#11681 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

I'm getting the impression I should have stuck with the Arnold avatar :lol:

Oh yeah? I've got Steam Mobile Access sitting in my inventory, but I'm not letting it go until someone offers XCOM and Skyrim.

I see your Steam Mobile Access with my own and raise you a Community Beta Access and Super Monday Night Combat.

Me too. There are probably a lot of people actually. At some point the ability to register retail copies of prey was added, and they had prey for $2 at one point in the early days of steam sales.

Wasn't that the sale where they ran out of Prey keys and never got more back in stock?

Ever.

#11682 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

Speed Demo Archive is running their marathon all week. A speed run of Batman: AC just started.
Twitch
They just finished a NES Batman race and had a NES Ninja Gaiden race a bit earlier. THEY ARE CRAZY!

#11683 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

Well I just checked the Steam registry and it looks like CoH2 early beta access is going to hit any minute now so I think it's safe.

No clue about Metro Last Light or South Park though. Those aren't available for Pre-order on Steam, just coming soon. THQ has pre-orders up on their site but I don't see it explicitly mentioned as Steam somewhere so I supposed they could always hand you a shiny new Origin key when those release.

mdUFwSE.png

#11684 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

None of those games strike me as fitting with EA that much, at least not Origin exclusive stuff, which has all had a large multiplayer component. If EA is going after anything they're probably going after stuff like Saint's Row. CoH has MP but EA can't even keep the RTS franchise they already own afloat, I can't see them wanting another right now.

I actually don't think THQ even owns the Metro IP or the developer either, which would likely mean if EA bought it, it'd just be the publishing rights and it might be like Amalur and just be a partners release.

#11685 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Well I just checked the Steam registry and it looks like CoH2 early beta access is going to hit any minute now so I think it's safe.

No clue about Metro Last Light or South Park though. Those aren't available for Pre-order on Steam, just coming soon. THQ has pre-orders up on their site but I don't see it explicitly mentioned as Steam somewhere so I supposed they could always hand you a shiny new Origin key when those release.

I think it will ultimately come down it if a game was built to be a steamworks game. Even if EA or some company did buy the franchise It still might have to come out on steam just for that fact.

#11686 mjontrix

mjontrix

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

Re: The Steambox.

I think the good news from the consumer end is that you have a very lucrative company with a dominant share of the digital download market pushing for Linux viability. Possible benefits:

* Breaking up the near virtual monopoly Microsoft has with Windows and forgoing people's need to pay for an OS (Steam's massive market leverage will force a lot of AAA publishers to start making Linux versions).

* Make 'PC Gaming' more affordable to people who exclusive/majority play on consoles. Of course this all depends on how much it will cost and what exactly is included hardware-wise.

* Drive down the price of PC components, GPU, etc (dependent on the point above).

My only wish is that they allow the Steam Workshop to work on the Steambox as well... and increase the Max mod filesize limit!

As for the OS argument though - as long as Linux is still as unfriendly as it is (I use it on a server, and there's no way an average (ie non-techie) person who's used to using Windows could use it); people won't switch. Just adding an app dock would do wonders for distros...

But having game devs making games for linux can only be a good thing.

If they don't release South Park on steam then I'm definitely cancelling my preorder with amazon - I wouldn't trust EA with a 10 ft pole.

I wonder though - what if Valve bought the license to Saints Row (Maybe Gabe was a fan of that video - ) Or Metro?

#11687 TheKbob

TheKbob

Rock On, Duder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

CD Project RED would be the best folks (GOG.com) to pick up Metro. It feels like a perfect fit for what they actually develop/publish.
Posted Image

#11688 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

CD Project RED would be the best folks (GOG.com) to pick up Metro. It feels like a perfect fit for what they actually develop/publish.

I could get down w/ Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light sold DRM-FREE on GOG.com ;)

#11689 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

None of those games strike me as fitting with EA that much, at least not Origin exclusive stuff, which has all had a large multiplayer component. If EA is going after anything they're probably going after stuff like Saint's Row. CoH has MP but EA can't even keep the RTS franchise they already own afloat, I can't see them wanting another right now.

I think EA Would take South Park in a second. They probably figure they will make tons of cash off the name alone.

You mean DRM Free after you register your Steam key on GOG :D.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#11690 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

Why would they think they'd make a ton of money off the SP brand? There's been multiple games with the franchise attached that have not sold well and have been critical flops. Even a massive show like Family Guy just had a game come out and nobody bought it. Licensed stuff rarely sells games on the license alone, save for stuff aimed at very young children.

#11691 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

Awww, I guess I'm going to actually have to play some games now...

Spoiler

#11692 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

Why would they think they'd make a ton of money off the SP brand? There's been multiple games with the franchise attached that have not sold well and have been critical flops. Even a massive show like Family Guy just had a game come out and nobody bought it. Licensed stuff rarely sells games on the license alone, save for stuff aimed at very young children.

Reason why people have hope for this one is because Obsidian is the dev, and while their games might lack some polish, they always make very good to at worst decent games. Plus I believe Tray and Matt wrote everything for the game and have been active with it.

#11693 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

Reason why people have hope for this one is because Obsidian is the dev, and while their games might lack some polish, they always make very good to at worst decent games. Plus I believe Tray and Matt wrote everything for the game and have been active with it.

I know these things, but they have little to do with what was posted. He said EA would buy it simply for the franchise. The average person that makes their purchasing decisions based on things like that are not the type of people that know who Obsidian is or that Matt and Trey had a hand in the game this time.

I'm sure the game will be decent, but that really doesn't mean it'll sell generally speaking.

#11694 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

You mean DRM Free after you register your Steam key on GOG :D.

YES! I'd love that! :D

#11695 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

I think I'm the opposite of people here. I downvote almost everything on Greenlight. Most of this stuff looks pretty poor and I wouldn't even want it for cheap.

#11696 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

I know these things, but they have little to do with what was posted. He said EA would buy it simply for the franchise. The average person that makes their purchasing decisions based on things like that are not the type of people that know who Obsidian is or that Matt and Trey had a hand in the game this time.

I'm sure the game will be decent, but that really doesn't mean it'll sell generally speaking.

I had no idea you were speaking to anyone directly since you didn't quote anyone. It looked like you were just making a general statement.

#11697 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

I think I'm the opposite of people here. I downvote almost everything on Greenlight. Most of this stuff looks pretty poor and I wouldn't even want it for cheap.

Posted Image

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#11698 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

I use the mindset that if I would buy it at "full price" I Yes it, if not it gets a No. By those standards I suppose I probably downvote more than most.

#11699 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

I give Yes to a lot of things because if stuff like Hidden Object Games are managing to get on here WITHOUT greenlight, then I'd say there's a pretty large chunk of stuff I'd be okay with getting a shot as well even if I'm not personally interested.

#11700 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

If they don't release South Park on steam then I'm definitely cancelling my preorder with amazon - I wouldn't trust EA with a 10 ft pole.

To be fair, there are very few people outside of the circus or a construction site that I would trust to do anything safe or useful with a 10 foot pole.