Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#12061 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

For those that install steam games in an external hardrive.... What brand and type do you recommend?

#12062 xxxholic

xxxholic

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

Spent 3 hours playing Ravaged meh.

#12063 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

talkinrock's future son in law

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

Spent 3 hours playing Ravaged meh.

Not impressed, eh? I tried it a little after it went off beta and was extremely bored with it. Seems to be a lot of people playing though...

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#12064 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Does anyone else have the problem where they aren't enjoying a game as much as expected, but having already invested several hours into it, find themselves having difficulty "giving up" on said game? Maybe it's just my personality, but I find myself hunkering down to finish a game even when it's obvious I'm not having much fun with it, solely so I can finish the game. This is where I currently find myself with Darksiders 2, having spent a dozen hours on it before December, but I put it on hold to play a bunch of other games (FTL, Dishonored, XCOM, Mark of the Ninja), and now I'm dreading going back to it haha.... First world problems.

Yep. Skyrim! I know, shame on me right? But after >100 hours of gameplay and a LOT of sidequests I've explored pretty much the whole map and well... exploring is kind of the charm of the game so now that I've seen everything I am realising that I don't care much for the story.

I still want to finish it though. I do want to know how it ends. I never finished Fallout 3 nor Oblivion for the same reasons and they both feel like I left a gap.

#12065 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Yep. Skyrim! I know, shame on me right? But after >100 hours of gameplay and a LOT of sidequests I've explored pretty much the whole map and well... exploring is kind of the charm of the game so now that I've seen everything I am realising that I don't care much for the story.

I still want to finish it though. I do want to know how it ends. I never finished Fallout 3 nor Oblivion for the same reasons and they both feel like I left a gap.

I don't think it's shame on you. I did all of the guild stuff, and barely touched the story. I got to the part where they teach dragontongue or whatever (it's not a spoiler, it's like the second story mission.)

I have the same problem with Deus Ex Human Revolution. I stopped playing it because of Borderlands 2, then Dishonored kept me from going right back to it, and now since the game saved right at this super hard boss, I don't really remember how to play, and I'm stuck on the boss. As a result, I quit playing that, and I think I'm literally half-way through the game. The boss is
Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#12066 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

I don't think it's shame on you. I did all of the guild stuff, and barely touched the story. I got to the part where they teach dragontongue or whatever (it's not a spoiler, it's like the second story mission.)

I have the same problem with Deus Ex Human Revolution. I stopped playing it because of Borderlands 2, then Dishonored kept me from going right back to it, and now since the game saved right at this super hard boss, I don't really remember how to play, and I'm stuck on the boss. As a result, I quit playing that, and I think I'm literally half-way through the game. The boss is

Spoiler

Hah oh right I forgot about Deus Ex! I've played that for two hours but I really do not like the controls of that game and so far I'm not getting into the story at all. But I really want to force myself to continue because everyone is talking awesomeness about the story and I'm a sucker for games with a good story, even if the gameplay is a bit clunky.

#12067 Malibuz0r

Malibuz0r

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Did you guys catch this one?

Free coupon: 85% off Serious Sam 3: BFE

na.alienwarearena(dot)com/deal/85-off-serious-sam-3-bfe

#12068 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Anyone know if there are still active GameFly discount codes? Transformers: Fall of Cybertron is $20.40 there currently. Maybe we could get Tony to PM and add it to the EC list. (Though I doubt that is a possibility.)

#12069 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

So I've decided that I'm going to start my own site which (on the surface) will just look like an advertisement for the Enhanced Steam plugin. On the back end of the site, I'll be doing some PHP magic to pull in data on each game like if it's been in a bundle or not, pricing history, DRM info, etc etc. There are a lot of great sites out there that already have a large chunk of this data, but this will bring it all into a single spot and will make it easy for me to implement all kinds of cool new features in Enhanced Steam.

For now, I just have a bit of homepage set up, but more is coming soon. Check it out and let me know what you guys think:

http://www.enhancedsteam.com/

:)

You work is great! I have a gaming blog, aiming at Latin people (like me) mainly and I want to mention your work there, with a dedicated link on the side in the "recommended" section if you allow me.

#12070 striker64

striker64

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I know I'm late to the party, but any opinions on Retro City Rampage? It looks pretty fun, and it's inexpensive enough.

#12071 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

I know I'm late to the party, but any opinions on Retro City Rampage? It looks pretty fun, and it's inexpensive enough.

I picked it up for free on PS Plus and haven't been able to get into it. The best thing the game has going for it is a truckload of pop culture references, which got a few chuckles out of me but the gameplay wasn't anything special.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#12072 SevereTireDamage

SevereTireDamage

Broken-$$$$ed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Like Genocidal said, the gameplay is nothing special (at least from the first hour or so of play), but it's a non-stop parade of 80s/NES references, like a Family Guy episode basically. This was kind of amusing enough for me to enjoy it somewhat. If I were you, I would wait until the game drops below $5, or shows up in an indie bundle. I'm guessing the game probably plays better on a PC monitor vs. a PS3 since all the characters/objects/bullets are so tiny.

#12073 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

I guess I have been on this site too long and become too much of a cheap bastard because I think it's friggin expensive even with the sale for that sort of game.

I'm on their mailing list and they sent a notice out about the Steam sale saying "If you haven't yet grabbed it, this is the cheapest you'll get it!" and I just thought I guess they don't want a lot of sales.

I think eventually they'll cave and go cheaper and/or in a bundle but if not I'll live without out. I'm not paying over $5 for something that looks like an NES game.

So I've decided that I'm going to start my own site which (on the surface) will just look like an advertisement for the Enhanced Steam plugin. On the back end of the site, I'll be doing some PHP magic to pull in data on each game like if it's been in a bundle or not, pricing history, DRM info, etc etc. There are a lot of great sites out there that already have a large chunk of this data, but this will bring it all into a single spot and will make it easy for me to implement all kinds of cool new features in Enhanced Steam.

For now, I just have a bit of homepage set up, but more is coming soon. Check it out and let me know what you guys think:

http://www.enhancedsteam.com/

:)

I like the site. It explains the extension really well and with pictures. :)

The only thing I'd say is maybe put up a forum of blog or support ticket system or something for suggestions and issues, but I imagine that's something coming soon in the help or FAQ etc.

You might want to contact flibitijibibo and see if he can get you his list in some format you can work with.

I know he's got a github site up here: https://github.com/SteamList/SteamDRM

Maintaining the lists sounds like a good idea. The one that no one has done yet outside of forum posts that I think would be extremely useful would be to separate DLC into categories of content/cosmetic/early unlocks. There's a growing number of games with non-content DLC and it's often difficult to discern that just from looking at them on Steam.

steam_sig.png

#12074 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

You work is great! I have a gaming blog, aiming at Latin people (like me) mainly and I want to mention your work there, with a dedicated link on the side in the "recommended" section if you allow me.

Yeah that'd be awesome. I'm also thinking about doing a Youtube video / screencast so people can see what exactly it does, and putting that on the site as well. The more people that know about this and use it, the happier I'll be. :D

The only thing I'd say is maybe put up a forum of blog or support ticket system or something for suggestions and issues, but I imagine that's something coming soon in the help or FAQ etc.

You might want to contact flibitijibibo and see if he can get you his list in some format you can work with.

I know he's got a github site up here: https://github.com/SteamList/SteamDRM

Maintaining the lists sounds like a good idea. The one that no one has done yet outside of forum posts that I think would be extremely useful would be to separate DLC into categories of content/cosmetic/early unlocks. There's a growing number of games with non-content DLC and it's often difficult to discern that just from looking at them on Steam.

Thanks I'll give those things a shot. What I'm hoping to do is maintain a database / wiki with all of the relevant information for each Steam App ID, and create a PHP page that will spit the elements I need for the plugin out in XML on the back end. Adding new feature sets would be as easy as creating a new XML class and populating the relevant tables. I'll probably have some sort of contact / report form on the site where people can submit new low prices / DLC categorization / DRM / whatever, where it will be moderated, approved, and merged into the main database.

#12075 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

I can't get the site to work at all on two different computers in different locations. It displays a main page but with no working links, no pictures beyond the main page, etc.

Is this still a placeholder site? I was going to link to it elsewhere but don't want to give people an immediately negative impression with a "broken" site.

#12076 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I can't get the site to work at all on two different computers in different locations. It displays a main page but with no working links, no pictures beyond the main page, etc.

Is this still a placeholder site? I was going to link to it elsewhere but don't want to give people an immediately negative impression with a "broken" site.

Yeah I guess I should have mentioned it will probably be a "placeholder" site until tonight or tomorrow. Last night I just got the style, layout, and basic mainpage content put in place. ;)

#12077 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Yeah I guess I should have mentioned it will probably be a "placeholder" site until tonight or tomorrow. Last night I just got the style, layout, and basic mainpage content put in place. ;)

Ok, cool. I just wanted to make sure the "error" was that it wasn't ready yet as opposed to it being broken. Like I said, I didn't want to immediately make people think the extension must be crap since this guy can't even make a working link ;)

#12078 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Thanks I'll give those things a shot. What I'm hoping to do is maintain a database / wiki with all of the relevant information for each Steam App ID, and create a PHP page that will spit the elements I need for the plugin out in XML on the back end. Adding new feature sets would be as easy as creating a new XML class and populating the relevant tables. I'll probably have some sort of contact / report form on the site where people can submit new low prices / DLC categorization / DRM / whatever, where it will be moderated, approved, and merged into the main database.

I think that's the most reasonable option because then you don't have to do all the exhaustive work of hunting down info for every single game yourself but you still have control over the data and there's no question about a bunch of random people having editing rights or connecting to 3rd party sites and whatnot.

steam_sig.png

#12079 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Did you guys catch this one?

Free coupon: 85% off Serious Sam 3: BFE

na.alienwarearena(dot)com/deal/85-off-serious-sam-3-bfe

Just did that too.

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#12080 SuiCide_KiNg_213

SuiCide_KiNg_213

DeAL ThIEF!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Just did that too.

How much is it after coupon?

#12081 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

How much is it after coupon?

Currently, $5.99 after coupon. However, the coupon is good until May 1st, so if the price drops between now and then (likely) or it goes on sale (also likely) it could be even cheaper.

#12082 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have the same problem with Deus Ex Human Revolution. I stopped playing it because of Borderlands 2....

Ha!

You want to talk half-finished games.

Try Deus Ex.

The first one.

And Baldur's Gate 2.

And Skies of Arcadia.

And King's Quest 3.

And Stationfall.

And a number of others over the years that tended to be interrupted by some trip or event or something, or get backed up during a system update and then, for whatever reason, got shuffled behind other games. I've got backed up saves for most of them, but it's been long enough that I wouldn't remember where I was or what I was doing.

#12083 Seraphym

Seraphym

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Borderlands 2 is having an event weekend in anticipation of the upcoming 3rd DLC campaign (Jan 15th). Here's the info on today's fun:

""Gear up for the release of Sir Hammerlock’s Big Game Hunt -- the third campaign add-on for Borderlands 2, arriving January 15 -- with special in-game events this weekend!
The festivities begin today, January 11, with Vault Hunters reporting that various areas of Pandora have seen an influx of powerful shotguns. To join in the fun, simply boot up Borderlands 2 while connected to the internet before the supply runs dry -- based on current conditions, expect the excess to be exhausted at 10:55AM CST / 4:55PM GMT on Saturday, January 12 (What time is that for me?).
What will tomorrow bring? Check back on GearboxSoftware.com at 11AM CST / 5PM GMT (What time is that for me?) to find out!""

#12084 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Ha!

You want to talk half-finished games.

Try Deus Ex.

The first one.

You should really finish the first Deus Ex. That game, Clive Barker's Undying, No One Lives Forever, and Redneck Rampage are pretty much responsible for the disappearance of my late teens.

I still haven't finished Duke Nukem 3D. I've realized that after all these years, I really don't like hunting for key cards anymore. I did finish Duke Nukem Forever, though. So there's obviously no accounting for quality in my case.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#12085 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Beta key giveaway for ArcheBlade

http://www.mmobomb.c...blade-beta-keys

#12086 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Borderlands shift key

CTCBJ-CK6KW-SCF33-TJJJT-WB3CB

Currently, $5.99 after coupon. However, the coupon is good until May 1st, so if the price drops between now and then (likely) or it goes on sale (also likely) it could be even cheaper.

Unfortunately it won't stack with other discounts. A price drop would be nice though.

#12087 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

The festivities begin today, January 11, with Vault Hunters reporting that various areas of Pandora have seen an influx of powerful shotguns. To join in the fun, simply boot up Borderlands 2 while connected to the internet before the supply runs dry -- based on current conditions, expect the excess to be exhausted at 10:55AM CST / 4:55PM GMT on Saturday, January 12 (What time is that for me?).

Anyone doing this, can you let me know if you need to just log in and you're flagged with a reward or if you need to actively enter the game? I've been doing BL1 first and so never actually played BL2, just log in now and then for my Shift code redemptions.

#12088 pantsattack

pantsattack

this computer is a time machine, but it only goes forward

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

I added a link in the OP to Enhanced Steam.

(I don't know why but it still isn't working for me. It did work until the update that asked for permissions. I've deleted it a few times and re-added it, reinstalled Chrome, updated ES versions. Is there a way that I can make sure I gave it the right permissions? It bums me out!)

#12089 pantsattack

pantsattack

this computer is a time machine, but it only goes forward

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

The daily deal is Viking at $5.09. Probably the lowest price outside of a bundle so far. Amazon may price match.

Edit: Huh, lower elsewhere, see above^^ My plug in isn't working, heh.

Edited by pantsattack, 11 January 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#12090 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

It's been cheaper on Gamersgate as a daily (both the glitched and non-glitched price were cheaper).