Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#12121 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

Your site is looking awesome, jshackles. Did you make it from scratch, or did you use some sort of webpage template?

Thanks! I'm working on moving the hosting at the moment so it might be down for a few hours :( It started as a template but I've customized the color scheme / css / buttons / etc to make it not suck. ;)

Also, this:

Posted Image

It's not going to work 100% on everything, but hopefully will be pretty close!

#12122 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

Right. Don't assume because your drive is USB 3 that the PC you connect it to will be. At this point 90% of PCs don't have USB3. If you check the USB slots on your PC and they aren't blue then it's probably not 3.0 compliant.

Doh. I didn't even think about that. Everyone that I know with a recent laptop has it. :-#

#12123 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Thanks! I'm working on moving the hosting at the moment so it might be down for a few hours :( It started as a template but I've customized the color scheme / css / buttons / etc to make it not suck. ;)

Also, this:

Posted Image

I like the 'purchased <month day, year>' info. Maybe add retail (ie not bought on Steam) vs bought on Steam?

Sometimes I find myself going. Wait, where did I get that from again?

I suppose with the keys it's technically activated on X date since you can always hold off on adding the keys for a while.

steam_sig.png

#12124 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

I like the 'purchased <month day, year>' info. Maybe add retail (ie not bought on Steam) vs bought on Steam?

Sometimes I find myself going. Wait, where did I get that from again?

I suppose with the keys it's technically activated on X date since you can always hold off on adding the keys for a while.

Yeah it's basically just pulling the information from the "Store Transactions" tab at

https://store.steamp...ed.com/account/

Then matching the title and pulling the date from that row. Again this would be nice if Valve would implement this, as I'm sure they have this info and it would be super easy for them to do. Some stuff won't work, for example the Humble Bundle keys etc. Some stuff activated elsewhere *should* work, as it'll be taking out the common terms like "comp", "retail", etc.

I also wish Steam separated multiple purchases on that page instead of lumping them together. Otherwise (if purchased on Steam) I could put "Purchased Oct 5, 2012 for $14.99" but since I purchased it along with a few other items, it would incorrectly say "Purchased on Oct 5, 2012 for $23.99".... oh Valve...

EDIT: Also, you and Spoony will be happy to know that I finally got it working to where your owned games will highlight on your wishlist page, making them easy to identify and remove.

#12125 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

Yeah it's basically just pulling the information from the "Store Transactions" tab at

https://store.steamp...ed.com/account/

Then matching the title and pulling the date from that row. Again this would be nice if Valve would implement this, as I'm sure they have this info and it would be super easy for them to do. Some stuff won't work, for example the Humble Bundle keys etc. Some stuff activated elsewhere *should* work, as it'll be taking out the common terms like "comp", "retail", etc.

I also wish Steam separated multiple purchases on that page instead of lumping them together. Otherwise (if purchased on Steam) I could put "Purchased Oct 5, 2012 for $14.99" but since I purchased it along with a few other items, it would incorrectly say "Purchased on Oct 5, 2012 for $23.99".... oh Valve...

EDIT: Also, you and Spoony will be happy to know that I finally got it working to where your owned games will highlight on your wishlist page, making them easy to identify and remove.

:applause:

Thank you! That was a HUGE pain in the butt going through that wishlist periodically and figuring out what the hell was on it that I already owned.

steam_sig.png

#12126 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

should be changed to:

"purchased on <date>. Hours played . . . zero. And you were going to buy it again?"

#12127 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

Unless that're using an awful drive, it should be faster than any USB2 version.

The 2.5" externals usually use drives similar to those found in low/mid-range laptops, so it should be fine. However, it will be slower than a 3.5" USB3/eSATA external (more so if compared to with the Seagate 3.5" ones which AFAIK don't use slower "green"-type drives like WD does.)

As long as you have a USB3 port on your computer, it should be fast enough. If you don't, then it will just connect at USB2.0 speeds and will be slow.

Right. Don't assume because your drive is USB 3 that the PC you connect it to will be. At this point 90% of PCs don't have USB3. If you check the USB slots on your PC and they aren't blue then it's probably not 3.0 compliant.

Thanks guys! Dont have a gaming desktop. Only have macbook pro 2012. it has usb 3.0. Tired of playing games on mac os x. so i finally got to buy windows 7 for bootcamp. Brought alot of windows based games during the recent sales abd will finally able to try them out once i get the drive. Hehe!

#12128 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

Thanks guys! Dont have a gaming desktop. Only have macbook pro 2012. it has usb 3.0. Tired of playing games on mac os x. so i finally got to buy windows 7 for bootcamp. Brought alot of windows based games during the recent sales abd will finally able to try them out once i get the drive. Hehe!

Ah okay. Maybe more Macs have usb 3.0. I know Intel was being a pain in the ass about it and dragging their feet for years because they had some other crappy format that wasn't backwards compatible and nobody wanted that they kept trying to promote.

steam_sig.png

#12129 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

:applause:

Thank you! That was a HUGE pain in the butt going through that wishlist periodically and figuring out what the hell was on it that I already owned.

Posting for great justice!

Posted Image

It was on my wishlist, and an awesome CAG sent it to me! Was also a great way to test this out! :D :D :D

#12130 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

Posting for great justice!

Spoiler

It was on my wishlist, and an awesome CAG sent it to me! Was also a great way to test this out! :D :D :D

Is this feature live now in 1.6? It's not working for me on Hotline Miami, which I own and also have on my wishlist.

Admittedly, it could be timing out because I have so much crap on my wishlist. :lol:

steam_sig.png

#12131 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

Is this feature live now in 1.6? It's not working for me on Hotline Miami, which I own and also have on my wishlist.

Admittedly, it could be timing out because I have so much crap on my wishlist. :lol:

It's gonna be in version 1.7 which I'll probably be posting up to Google soon. I'll keep you all posted - it's going to be a pretty good update.

#12132 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

Ah okay. Maybe more Macs have usb 3.0. I know Intel was being a pain in the ass about it and dragging their feet for years because they had some other crappy format that wasn't backwards compatible and nobody wanted that they kept trying to promote.

Thunderbolt?

#12133 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

Thunderbolt?

Yeah that was it. Anyway it sounds like there's yet another faster USB iteration on the way so hopefully Thunderbolt will finally die for good.

steam_sig.png

#12134 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

[gloating]I have five USB 3.0 ports on my notebook. :D[/gloating]

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#12135 zenii

zenii

cynical sam

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

With a little more work jshackles, you could probably get a job at Valve.

#12136 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:41 AM

With a little more work jshackles, you could probably get a job at Valve.

You'd be surprised how many people have told me that lately! :D

I already have two jobs
Spoiler
and kids in school etc etc so I think even if they wanted to hire me, it'd have to be for some pretty awesome amount of cash. :drool: Unless they were willing to let me telecommute - then I'd have three jobs! :bouncy:

#12137 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

Well, you definitely have a calling card to get in with them. Let your work speak for itself... maybe they'll come to you.

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#12138 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

Well, you definitely have a calling card to get in with them. Let your work speak for itself... maybe they'll come to you.

Just realized that Valve is only about 2 1/2 hours away from where I currently live... For some reason I always thought they were in southern California.

So - maybe... ;)

#12139 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

They do have a history of hiring people who modify their products in interesting ways.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#12140 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

This whole thing where I make it to the end of the thread and later come back and refresh and it's still at the end of the thread seems alien and unnerving to me.

...I guess I'll play a game or something?

#12141 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

This whole thing where I make it to the end of the thread and later come back and refresh and it's still at the end of the thread seems alien and unnerving to me.

...I guess I'll play a game or something?

Yeah I've been noticing that too. It's strange to come back and check the thread and there not be multiple new pages.

#12142 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

Alright everyone, Enhanced Steam has been updated to v1.7 with the following changes:

• Wishlist pages will now highlight games you own
  • (Some) of the games you own will show the "purchase date". If you didn't purchase the game on Steam, it will be the date you activated the key. I know there are some bugs with this, but I thought it'd be best to push out what I had and let people test at this point.
  • I've updated the logos and links in the options page to point to www.EnhancedSteam.com
  • I've updated the extension's icon

These last two items were to try and minimize my risk of using Valve's trademark logo-handle-gear-thingy.

Sadly, I'm not sure if the purchase date thing will ever fully work
Spoiler

Remember, to update go to Menu -> Extensions -> (make sure developer mode is checked) -> Update Extensions Now. It should also automatically update the next time you restart Chrome.

#12143 soulkyo

soulkyo

Veterinary Medicine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

Alright everyone, Enhanced Steam has been updated to v1.7 with the following changes:

• Wishlist pages will now highlight games you own
  • (Some) of the games you own will show the "purchase date". If you didn't purchase the game on Steam, it will be the date you activated the key. I know there are some bugs with this, but I thought it'd be best to push out what I had and let people test at this point.
  • I've updated the logos and links in the options page to point to www.EnhancedSteam.com
  • I've updated the extension's icon

These last two items were to try and minimize my risk of using Valve's trademark logo-handle-gear-thingy.

Sadly, I'm not sure if the purchase date thing will ever fully work
Spoiler

Remember, to update go to Menu -> Extensions -> (make sure developer mode is checked) -> Update Extensions Now. It should also automatically update the next time you restart Chrome.

Thanks for the update. This extension is getting better :)

#12144 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

the biggest bug I could find that most people will run into: The purchase date cannot account correctly for sequels of games. Things like Darksiders and Darksiders II look almost identical to the parser, so they're likely to return an incorrect date for at least one of them.

Additionally, not everything on Steam has the same naming conventions there, so for example Skyrim shows up on the account page (for me at least) simply as "Skyrim" but the product page shows it as "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim", which means it won't pull the date at all. The same goes for most games that have a TM at the end of their name.

Anyway, I'm interested to get a feel from people as to how much of a hit and miss this is with the games they own.

Also Motoki - I expect to see your wishlist shrink considerably!

#12145 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

Figured I'd ask this here:

Is there a site that tracks which indie games appeared in which bundles? I think I may already have a game but can't remember where I bought it, and an email search turns up nothing. Thanks in advance.

#12146 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

Is there a site that tracks which indie games appeared in which bundles? I think I may already have a game but can't remember where I bought it, and an email search turns up nothing. Thanks in advance.

http://indiegamebund...ame_Bundle_Wiki

#12147 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

I believe you're looking for this site: http://indiegamebundle.wikia.com

It'll also be added to Enhanced Steam soon! 8-)

EDIT: Ninja'd by fox!

#12148 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

^Thanks to both of you! I keep a spreadsheet of every digitial purchase I have made since 2007, but this past year there were so many that I just got lazy. :D

#12149 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Also Motoki - I expect to see your wishlist shrink considerably!

I actually only had 3 owned games on it and Enhanced Steam caught them all. The only reason I didn't have more is because I went through the painstaking process of 'Wait do I own this game? Let me check' 'Wait do I own this game? Let me check' one by one recently.

And I still missed a few apparently.

Anyway, this is a huge help, thanks.

steam_sig.png

#12150 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

Search the game title here. Doing so tells you which bundle(s) the game was in. If there are no results, then the game likely wasn't in any bundle. Alternatively, you can search "X indie bundle", where X would be the title of the game.

For instance, typing "Super Meat Boy" yields this. Skimming through the results, you'll see the bundles it was in.

Usually, I'd just search for "Super Meat Boy Indie Bundle Wiki" in Google and it'll usually be in the first 5 results. However, that's just my personal preference.

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png