Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#12151 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

Great tips, Severose! Noted and applied! :)

#12152 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

I believe you're looking for this site: http://indiegamebundle.wikia.com

It'll also be added to Enhanced Steam soon! 8-)

Is there anything this man can't do????

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#12153 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Posted Image

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#12154 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

I think the sad answer to your question is: sleep. :lol:

#12155 Outinthedark

Outinthedark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

I think the sad answer to your question is: sleep. :lol:

That's when you turn on some music, work for another few hours, realize it's 4am and then crash on the couch watching Stargate. At least that has been me while I render and try not to fall asleep on Season 5 of Atlantis.

76561198014930049.png

#12156 Blade

Blade

Butt Blamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

That's when you turn on some music, work for another few hours, realize it's 4am and then crash on the couch watching Stargate. At least that has been me while I render and try not to fall asleep on Season 5 of Atlantis.

That seems like way too long in rendering. Sounds like someone needs some cloud computing, or at least a Beowulf cluster. Buy a bunch of shitty computers, quick! :lol:
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#12157 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

As if anyone could fall asleep to Season 5 of Atlantis!

Anyway in case anyone is wondering, http://www.EnhancedSteam.com (as a webpage, not yet as a service) is just about 100% finished. Feel free to tell your friends about it. I also tried to explain all of the major features with screenshots and an explanation, which I hope answers some people's questions. For example, check out this feature description. :-#

I've got all of the Google stuff set up on the site now too, some of you might have noticed that the extension listing for Enhanced Steam is now a "verified extension". 8-)

#12158 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Posted Image

I'm sorry, whenever I see that Avatar, I think of this:
Posted Image
I know, I'm a nuisance.

#12159 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

For example, check out this feature description. :-#

Awesome! That annoyed me too! I used to delete stuff from my wishlist because it didn't have a picture. You don't have a picture? Well off you go! I don't wish for you anymore! :lol:

steam_sig.png

#12160 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Just spent an hour and a half playing Don't Starve. It's really cool. It's a survival game, where you're exploring your environment and discovering how to hunt, gather resources, and understand your limitations.

For example, there are rabbits in abundance. You can construct things like an axe and pickaxe, but unless you
Spoiler

I've been impressed with the game. You start with a randomly generated world, and you can get a new world at any time. Although you will die frequently, you retain some of your intelligence (which allows you to craft new items) so that your previous sessions aren't a complete waste. Also, you gain XP, which appears to be used to unlock two unlockable characters.

#12161 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

For example, check out this feature description. :-#

This is mind-blowing. All this time, I'd assumed that it wasn't showing icons for specific items (usually pittance DLC or games that have been delisted from the store that I keep on my list for yucks) because said icons didn't exist. So it's a bug that Valve just hasn't bothered to address? Huh.

#12162 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Awesome! That annoyed me too! I used to delete stuff from my wishlist because it didn't have a picture. You don't have a picture? Well off you go! I don't wish for you anymore! :lol:

Yeah it annoyed me enough to fix it. :) That fix has actually been in place since 0.4 I believe.

This is mind-blowing. All this time, I'd assumed that it wasn't showing icons for specific items (usually pittance DLC or games that have been delisted from the store that I keep on my list for yucks) because said icons didn't exist. So it's a bug that Valve just hasn't bothered to address? Huh.

Yep it's just a bug. When Valve loads those icons for the wishlist, it loads them from http://media.steampo.../public/images/ and when they're loaded onto the game page they're loaded from http://cdn.steampowe...com/v/gfx/apps/

So it was easy to just pick out the wishlist items that use this image: http://media.steampo...b591fb8a5c2.gif

Posted Image

And replace it using the correct image from the store. I'm pretty sure that bug has existed for years, and why Valve hasn't fixed it yet is beyond me. In the script, it's 9 lines of code. Granted, this is a kind of "long way around" patch.

#12163 Outinthedark

Outinthedark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

That seems like way too long in rendering. Sounds like someone needs some cloud computing, or at least a Beowulf cluster. Buy a bunch of shitty computers, quick! :lol:

I will never pay per cpu to outsourc my rendering. I built a 24cpu render farm for my work. It's just the joy of a 1 man operation and deadlines these contractors seem to always bump up on me. They get billed time and a half for these late nights.

As if anyone could fall asleep to Season 5 of Atlantis!

The end of Season 5 has been..well random. Episodes thrown in there with no real context to story. It also seems they are just shrugging off other story lines.

76561198014930049.png

#12164 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

the biggest bug I could find that most people will run into: The purchase date cannot account correctly for sequels of games. Things like Darksiders and Darksiders II look almost identical to the parser, so they're likely to return an incorrect date for at least one of them.

Additionally, not everything on Steam has the same naming conventions there, so for example Skyrim shows up on the account page (for me at least) simply as "Skyrim" but the product page shows it as "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim", which means it won't pull the date at all. The same goes for most games that have a TM at the end of their name.

Anyway, I'm interested to get a feel from people as to how much of a hit and miss this is with the games they own.

Also Motoki - I expect to see your wishlist shrink considerably!

Damn, wish you could build this into the Steam client :bouncy: I only found The Walking Dead which I bought last night still on my wishlist. And awesome, my icons are back.

spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

Add my two accounts for free games!!!!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/relysis http://steamcommunit...561198124339261

#12165 Seraphym

Seraphym

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

BL2 Weekend Event DAY 2!
""Today's forecast? EXPLOSIONS! Keep an eye out for powerful grenade mods -- we hear they're rather abundant today(Increased drop rates). To join in the fun, simply boot up Borderlands 2 while connected to the internet and start looting before the supply runs dry on Sunday, January 13 at 10:55AM CST / 4:55PM GMT (What time is that for me?).""

I got in 30ish kills of The Warrior between last night and this morning and saw 3 e-tech shotguns and I finally had a Conference Call drop for me. I'm not sure how to quantify that other then that's a lot better drops then I have ever seen from it before. Hrmmm, I'm not sure what grenade to look for today tho.

#12166 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

(Too many pages without referencing that game.) Remember, just a few hours left for your chance to win Bad Rats

Edited by cheapo72, 12 January 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#12167 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

I spent four hours on I Am Alive, and the game is breaking my damn heart. It's not the story, I haven't found one of those yet. It's the volumes of wasted potential. It's like the developers would brush up against something awesome, and immediately pulled back.

The designated climbing areas are the biggest sin. You can't just explore anywhere, there are very specific areas that you're allowed to platform. To make it more upsetting, they sometimes use art assets from places you can climb in places you can't. So when I see a metal bar sticking out, I hit the controller to take me there, and nothing happens. Meanwhile my stamina bar is almost empty, and I'm screwed if I don't end the climb in seconds.

If it had been open world, I could at least enjoy climbing around exploring, but alas, that's not the case. You walk around on the streets (usually choking on dust, draining your stamina) looking for pipes that you can use to climb to the roof of a building. That's it. Walk around looking for stuff that you'll probably use up trying to get to different stuff.

Also, as far as I can tell, rescuing people only gets you a retry, and some hint about the game itself. You can't horde the retries, either. If you know you're at a save point and you die, they force you to use the retry instead of letting you load the save, even though both are going to take you to the exact same area.

The combat is repetitive. You stand there, waiting for them to walk up on you with a machete, then you slit one dude's throat, and point your gun at the other. This is one of the cool aspects, as the AI will become intimidated by your gun and back off. But, of course, they had to mess that up also. After twenty or thirty seconds, the AI will just magically know that your gun doesn't have any bullets in it and charge you. There's also zero chance that you can survive a three-on-one encounter. So if you don't do something in those twenty or thirty seconds, you might as well reload. Oh, and if you engage in a struggle kill with one AI, the other AI's will come up and knife you to death from behind before you can finish killing the first guy, so don't bother.

If it was me, I'd have made it so you could sneak to avoid combat scenarios. In a survival situation, I imagine I'd be much more likely to run and hide than risk injury taking on three guys at once. Then, to facilitate the emphasis against combat, I'd have made it so you could climb anywhere. Thus the heart of the game would focus on climbing to avoid enemies and find resource. As for the resources, it would be more about searching through buildings, not walking the streets looking for a glowing object in the back of an alley. I would keep the intimidation by pistols, but dump the QTE combat, if you had to fight, you better hit and run.

It just could have been so awesome, and instead, it's lame. I haven't been this disappointed since Brink.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#12168 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

BL2 Weekend Event DAY 2!
""Today's forecast? EXPLOSIONS! Keep an eye out for powerful grenade mods -- we hear they're rather abundant today(Increased drop rates). To join in the fun, simply boot up Borderlands 2 while connected to the internet and start looting before the supply runs dry on Sunday, January 13 at 10:55AM CST / 4:55PM GMT (What time is that for me?).""

I got in 30ish kills of The Warrior between last night and this morning and saw 3 e-tech shotguns and I finally had a Conference Call drop for me. I'm not sure how to quantify that other then that's a lot better drops then I have ever seen from it before. Hrmmm, I'm not sure what grenade to look for today tho.

Kill the splinter cell in the sewer, get their electric grenade, especially if you're playing as Gaige.

Rolling Thunder off of Wilhelm is also pretty strong.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#12169 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Daily Deal: Thirty Flights of Loving 50% off ($2.49)

#12170 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Daily Deal: Thirty Flights of Loving 50% off ($2.49)

Any opinions on this? I've seen a bit of praise for the game in reviews, but who knows?

I don't love that it's just 50% off, but $2.49 is a nice price if it is a decent game.

76561197971332172.png

#12171 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Just spent an hour and a half playing Don't Starve. It's really cool. It's a survival game, where you're exploring your environment and discovering how to hunt, gather resources, and understand your limitations.

For example, there are rabbits in abundance. You can construct things like an axe and pickaxe, but unless you

Spoiler

I've been impressed with the game. You start with a randomly generated world, and you can get a new world at any time. Although you will die frequently, you retain some of your intelligence (which allows you to craft new items) so that your previous sessions aren't a complete waste. Also, you gain XP, which appears to be used to unlock two unlockable characters.

I might have to check this out soon. I have been enjoying Tokyo Jungle (animal survival rather then human survival) on my PS3 and the concepts sound similar although possibly more complex in Don't Starve. My pomeranian gets a lot of mating action though so there ya go! :lol:

#12172 otangz

otangz

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Any opinions on this? I've seen a bit of praise for the game in reviews, but who knows?

I don't love that it's just 50% off, but $2.49 is a nice price if it is a decent game.

I played the first (Gravity Bone) and enjoyed it (it's free on the developer's website, BTW). It is EXTREMELY short (supposedly 30 Flights is also very short), but I really enjoyed my 20 or 30 minutes with it. I would recommend downloading the free Gravity Bone... if you like that, you will like 30 Flights (which I started, but then it got lost in my backlog). The games are intriguing and all about the story. 2.50 is a good price, but see if you like Gravity Bone first (it's a small download).

http://blendogames.com/

#12173 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Thirty Flights of Loving was less than ten minutes long tops. Probably less than 5. I found absolutely nothing to like about it and suspect those reviewers who praised it are crazy.

Don't Starve bored me. It just felt like all I was doing was collecting crap rather than actually surviving.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#12174 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Banzai Pecan is on sale on Desura again for around $5.

The developer removed it from Greenlight because a lot of people were trolling with 'EWW ANIME COOTIES! DOWNVOTED!' comments. (and yes I realize there is no downvote but people keep saying that)

"Took it out of the spotlight" for the time being. For those who actually enjoy the game and wanted to see it on Steam, sadly I don't feel it's going to happen, mainly because of the majority reeeeeeeally don't want to see it on there/ feel "offended"/ not enough greys and browns/ too "Japanese/ won't want to bother trying it but hate it anyways/ etc.

It's stupid and silly, yes, but eh, if the people REALLY don't want to see it on there, so be it. Indie/Homebrew is a bit tougher to get on there than on Indievania or Desura. Yeah, all games will have their share of "haters", and people who just need to look for a reason to hate it and developers need to bear tougher skin, but it's a bit much to deal with, especially from a guy who really just "wanted to make a wwtf-retro-throwback game".

I might put it back up there, but only if there's more support for the actual game itself.

steam_sig.png

#12175 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

The developer removed it from Greenlight because a lot of people were trolling with 'EWW ANIME COOTIES! DOWNVOTED!' comments. (and yes I realize there is no downvote but people keep saying that)

While I realize the genres aren't one and the same, I'm surprised that this would be a significant reaction from the same community that piddles itself over any half-assed JRPG knock-off.

#12176 fore1337

fore1337

Back to a normal avatar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Sacred2 Gold 2 $9.99 for people who own the original "Sacred 2 Fallen Angel" on steam. Should I bite?

#12177 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Sacred2 Gold 2 $9.99 for people who own the original "Sacred 2 Fallen Angel" on steam. Should I bite?

Are you truthfully going to play it right now or very soon? Because if not it will probably be 75% off at $5 eventually.

I mean Deep Silver has had some of their bigger and more recent titles sub $10 recently so I have no doubt this one will go lower at some point.

Sacred Citadel is supposed to be due out some time this year so Sacred 2 may see a sale then.

steam_sig.png

#12178 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Somehow my evangelizing for Banzai Pecan has gotten OTHER people to take notice of it going on sale. Nice.

I maintain that it is not a great game (And probably it is reaching to call it good but I'd give it that.) but it is fun and the sway mechanic is shamelessly ripped from God Hand. It's pretty tough in places too.

But it is not the sort of thing you should jump into unless you already think "Hey that looks like it'd be fun!"
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#12179 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

It's more Sacred 2.
If you like Sacred 2 and want to play it RIGHT NOW - I'd say go for it.
Do you want more areas, quests, and the new Dragon Mage class?

I don't have the Steam version, I got it from Gamersgate.
So, I don't know how Com Patch works on their version on S2: Gold.
If you want to run the Community Patch for Sacred 2, you absolutely do NEED S2: Gold Edition.

#12180 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

It's more Sacred 2.
If you like Sacred 2 and want to play it RIGHT NOW - I'd say go for it.
Do you want more areas, quests, and the new Dragon Mage class?

I don't have the Steam version, I got it from Gamersgate.
So, I don't know how Com Patch works on their version on S2: Gold.
If you want to run the Community Patch for Sacred 2, you absolutely do NEED S2: Gold Edition.

There's a Deep Silver rep on the Steam Community forum and he said the community patch works just fine and even posted a link to it there.

http://steamcommunit...41710563752357/

steam_sig.png