Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#12211 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

Did anyone else receive a 50% off coupon for Half Life 3 in their inventory?

Yes. Expires in 2076.

#12212 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

Using Google Translate:

- "Good to the auxiliary" writes the first poster
- "Thanks a landlord it! ! !" claims another user
- "Support flour guns." raves an enthusiastic supporter

I genuinely believed that you were joking. I'm happy than you were not.

#12213 Miranda

Miranda

about.me/adnarim

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

Using Google Translate:

- "Good to the auxiliary" writes the first poster
- "Thanks a landlord it! ! !" claims another user
- "Support flour guns." raves an enthusiastic supporter

Thank the landlords for flour guns!

I wonder what our posts are like when people have to translate from English to another language. Probably just as ridiculous. :lol:

#12214 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

Been seriously thinking about throwing my resume Valve's way. I've been reading up on their "corporate culture" and I think I'd fit in well there. I have 16 years experience in the tech industry in a WIDE variety of positions, which seems to be what they're typically looking for.

I just don't know if "Hey! I made this cool Chrome extension that does X, Y, and Z! You should consider hiring me." would be enough. Thoughts?

#12215 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Been seriously thinking about throwing my resume Valve's way. I've been reading up on their "corporate culture" and I think I'd fit in well there. I have 16 years experience in the tech industry in a WIDE variety of positions, which seems to be what they're typically looking for.

I just don't know if "Hey! I made this cool Chrome extension that does X, Y, and Z! You should consider hiring me." would be enough. Thoughts?

It never hurts to submit a resume.

#12216 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

Whoah. Apparently Flour Guns is a real thing.

http://www.cascity.c...ic=33523.0;wap2

I'll have to find my old H&R, hammer model, with stock black grips, and add the picture later. Looks a lot like yours. Not a shooter in it's present condition.The gunsmith I took mine to, discouraged me from putting money into it. I believe it to be a 7mm Swiss cal. The counter guy told me these guns were known as "flour guns" in the old days, because they came free in large sacks of flour. Kind of tells you where the country has changed over the years. That's the kind of Cracker Jack prize I could appreciate. Sorry those days are long gone.
Fence

steam_sig.png

#12217 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

I would send them a resume if I were you. What have you got to lose?

#12218 ObsidianSpire

ObsidianSpire

Obsidian FTW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

I think you should maybe polish out as many features as you can/want to, then send it their way. I'm sure Valve would be interested in implementing some if not all of the features, so you just need to keep building interest and get more people to take notice.

Have you posted about the extension in other communities? I know there definitely would be interest in a lot of different areas around the web, so I'd build up a userbase to demonstrate the interest to Valve.

jybOVvmATuEqX.png

Support Team CAG for Extra Life 2013 in November! Join us in our quest or donate. :D LINK

Current Contest/Giveaway: 

Donate to Extra Life & win one of 12 signed Red Orchestra 2 copies!

#12219 Miranda

Miranda

about.me/adnarim

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

I think you should go for it!

#12220 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

I think you should maybe polish out as many features as you can/want to, then send it their way. I'm sure Valve would be interested in implementing some if not all of the features, so you just need to keep building interest and get more people to take notice.

Have you posted about the extension in other communities? I know there definitely would be interest in a lot of different areas around the web, so I'd build up a userbase to demonstrate the interest to Valve.

That's kind of my thoughts too. I feel like Valve is the kind of place where you really need to get their attention to get noticed. Barring knowing someone, probably continuing to work on the extension and promoting so it becomes popular it is probably the best way to get their attention.

steam_sig.png

#12221 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

That's kind of my thoughts too. I feel like Valve is the kind of place where you really need to get their attention to get noticed. Barring knowing someone, probably continuing to work on the extension and promoting so it becomes popular it is probably the best way to get their attention.

Also kind of thought that. But also thought that if their HR staff is as slow to respond as their support staff, I'll have 10,000 downloads by the time anyone sees my resume.

Either way, I'll start putting something together and try to put it out there when the time is right. ;)

#12222 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

My opinion (devaluing the paper it's been printed on since 19XX):

Having plenty of interviewing experience and some experience on the hiring side of things as well, I believe the hardest hurdle is simply getting noticed, and becoming the candidate that the staff talk about. Enhanced Steam is definitely your ticket for getting noticed at Valve. That said, I think you can easily milk more publicity that would certainly help.

Pretty obvious but worth stating...
You could build up some more user base by posting around in some more forums, SPUF, AnandTech, etc.
When you feel it's reasonably polished, contact appropriate writers at ArsTechnica, Joystiq, etc.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#12223 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

You could build up some more user base by posting around in some more forums, SPUF, AnandTech, etc.
When you feel it's reasonably polished, contact appropriate writers at ArsTechnica, Joystiq, etc.

Exactly this. Get it around, get it as amazing as possible, then go for the jugular.

Oh, and remember one thing:
Spoiler

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#12224 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

My opinion (devaluing the paper it's been printed on since 19XX):

Having plenty of interviewing experience and some experience on the hiring side of things as well, I believe the hardest hurdle is simply getting noticed, and becoming the candidate that the staff talk about. Enhanced Steam is definitely your ticket for getting noticed at Valve. That said, I think you can easily milk more publicity that would certainly help.

Thanks for the insights. I'm certainly looking to expand the Enhanced Steam user base and features.

I have a huge background in networking (I got my CCNA in 1998!) and I also (obviously) programmed EnhancedSteam.com so I decided that I'll do this for now: I'm going to build a "secret" page on the site, and fill it with my resume / credentials / skills and a general "Please contact me for an interview" page. Then I'm going to backlink all of the IP addresses owned by Valve, and if the page detects that it's being visited by someone from a Valve-owned IP, it will display a banner at the top of the page with a link to my secret "Hire me" page.

Then, hopefully, as it becomes more popular and (hopefully) catches the attention of someone at Valve, I'll have my in. :) If that doesn't work then... well... I'll have to go a more traditional route.

EDIT:

Exactly this. Get it around, get it as amazing as possible, then go for the jugular.

Spoiler

The biggest problem I have with "getting the word out" is that most places it is against the rules to engage in self-promotion. So that's where you guys come in. Get it out there! And don't worry, once a CAG, always a CAG. ;)

#12225 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Spoiler

Note to self: if I ever develop something similar, post on CAG last. :twisted:

I'm going to build a "secret" page on the site, and fill it with my resume / credentials / skills and a general "Please contact me for an interview" page. Then I'm going to backlink all of the IP addresses owned by Valve, and if the page detects that it's being visited by someone from a Valve-owned IP, it will display a banner at the top of the page with a link to my secret "Hire me" page.

:applause:

#12226 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Spoiler

steam_sig.png

#12227 bnh

bnh

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

I got few DOTA 2 in my inventory. Anyone know how much it worth?

#12228 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I got few DOTA 2 in my inventory. Anyone know how much it worth?

Literally nothing because almost everyone has it.

#12229 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

jshackles ! I never really use steam in my browser, only through the application itself. In that case, that extension will be pretty useless for me, right? Although, as a firefox user, I really am considering downloading Chrome and your extension anyway, hearing all the praise.

On another note, I decided to start up Origin for a change to see if they have anything interesting. The first thing that pops up is Sim City preorder: [FONT="]€ 79,99[/FONT]. PWAH! Excuse me? Okay it has DLC, but there's lots of games that offer DLC during preorder and not for such a rediculous price. Also saw other "new" games for console game prices. Well, at least I got my reminder why I hardly ever use Origin. Closed it off again on a whim.

I wish that JakeNome would answer my PM already...

Edited by Therapy, 13 January 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#12230 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

jshackles ! I never really use steam in my browser, only through the application itself. In that case, that extension will be pretty useless for me, right?

Not quite useless, but certainly not very useful unless you start using a browser more often.

Although, as a firefox user, I really am considering downloading Chrome and your extension anyway, hearing all the praise.

:cry:

#12231 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Why the sadface? :P

#12232 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Wish there was a firefox version of this "enhanced steam" seems real nice .

#12233 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Wish there was a firefox version of this "enhanced steam" seems real nice .

Pretty sure he ran into a technical difficulty with the FireFox version and gave up on it. Some way that FireFox manages it's extensions wasn't working with Advanced Steam correctly, so he decided to focus his efforts on the Chrome version.

I think.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#12234 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Pretty sure he ran into a technical difficulty with the FireFox version and gave up on it. Some way that FireFox manages it's extensions wasn't working with Advanced Steam correctly, so he decided to focus his efforts on the Chrome version.

I think.

Ah, if so. Understandable.

#12235 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Can't say what Valve will do. However, I can already envision a future of, "Hey Jshackles, why the hell isn't Skyrim 75% off yet?"

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#12236 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

jshackles, my $0.01 is this: I switched to Chrome (even though I much prefer Firefox) for the Enhanced Steam extension. You want Valve to really notice you, find a way to make a complete package. Meaning making a equally functional extension on Chrome, Firefox and dare I say it, Explorer. Remember, Valve and Steam have customer ease and functionality in mind as evidenced by their client service. Expanding your browser base equals expanding your user base as well as more word of mouth.

#12237 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Well I knew this place was going without complaining for far too long. Thanks Firefox people. You sure fixed that. :-P

steam_sig.png

#12238 BernardoOne

BernardoOne

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Would love that extension on Opera :D

#12239 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Well I knew this place was going without complaining for far too long. Thanks Firefox people. You sure fixed that. :-P

Hey, we do what we must.

#12240 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Would love that extension on Opera :D

:rofl:

And Dolphin, Boat, Silk and Safari too. We must have those!

As far as this making a 'complete package' for multiple browsers etc goes let's please remember this is one guy doing this in his spare time and not getting paid.

Yes he would like to get Valve's attention but he doesn't need to do everything under the sun that they should be doing in all possible browsers.

I know a couple of people who are in the games business. They had a portfolio before they really got into it but it was 3D work, mods, demos and such. It's not like they made Call of Duty all on their own for free before they were able to get any development houses to look at them.

steam_sig.png