Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#12271 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

I don't just look at the scores but you do get a much larger sample with the user scores than you do with the critic ones. I tend to feel like in most cases the legitimate reviewers outnumber the trolls and balance them out or if everyone is slamming the hell out of the scores than maybe there's some issue that's really pissing people off like draconian DRM, which is something the critics won't ding a game for at all usually but I want to know about it.

I think Amazon has a pretty good system where you get the most useful (rated by other users) positive review side by side with the most useful negative one. It's still subject to abuse and trolling but it would really require a mass coordinated effort to do that.

I'm not saying I use metacritic (or Amazon) users scores as an end all be all, but personally I find them to have more value on the whole than the critic ones, which I feel in many cases are out of touch with the average users and those gets are getting comped stuff and so forth.

I agree pretty much completely with this. While I don't think any user-generated rating system is the best in and of itself (whether we're talking about metacritic, rotten tomatoes, yelp, etc), I do find them quite helpful as a general litmus test, especially since critic reviews do tend to be somewhat out of touch at times, given that they hardly ever have to worry about paying for their games or worrying about DRM and other issues. While I don't buy into conspiracy theories that well known gaming sites and critics are swayed by swag and money, I do think they don't relate completely with normal gamers.

Perhaps that's why I tend to prefer sites or podcasts such as Giant Bomb, Gamers with Jobs, Polygon/Besties because I feel they are the most "in touch" with people who game as a hobby and not as a full time job. Either way though, it's convenient to start with user-generated scores, while still doing any other research necessary (and accounting for personal tastes). While there are some games that basically get either 0's or 10's from lazy user reviews, I also find some really helpful write-ups from time to time on Amazon and similar places.
Posted Image

#12272 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Amazon price matched the Command and Conquer pack to the gamefly $16.99 sale which means it's $11.99 with the Editor's Choice $5 if you have any left.

Tony said they weren't going to do it so it's probably a mistake auto-price match like the Hotline Miami $5 was. If you want it for $12 I would grab it ASAP.

I hear these titles are updated to work with newer versions of Windows. Is there like a luancher, or does it just list "Command and Conquer Collection" or all of the titles seperate?

EDIT: I just checked and it lists them individually in Origin. :)

#12273 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Okay so I ported a fair amount of code to Firefox and submitted my Add-On for inclusion in their Add-On repository (store? page? thing?)

If anyone would like to test and provide feedback, you can install it directly from my website. Doing so, it won't automatically update when I make changes (best I can tell, that requires the Mozilla site approval).

http://enhancedsteam...anced-steam.xpi

Let me know what kind of interesting new bugs you guys find!

EDIT: at the moment, this is just the basic stuff - cleaning up the javascript in search, highlighting games you own and games on your wishlist, highlighting owned DLC on the game page. I may be able to port a few of the other features over, but this should be a good "jumping off" point.

You're a quick man! Thanks! So far it seems to work. Although, do you have a lost of things you've worked on? nvm found it on your website.

I checked SR3 game page since I have the complete pack, and it shows correctly which DLC I do and do not have (strangely enough there's two I don't have: bloodsucker and all unlockables packs)

I can confirm that the "Fixes the "No Image Available" images on your wishlist" part does not work.
I can't really tell if the DRM thing works. I've looked at the Batman AA store page (I searched the web for a steamgame with bad DRM and this seems to be one) but couldnt find anything mentioning drm.
Wishlist: can't check since I don't have anything on my wishlist that I already own :P
Looking at bundle pages shows me which games in the bundle I already own, but the "See how much you've spent on your Steam account" doesn't seem to show.

Hope this is helpful :)

Edited by Therapy, 13 January 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#12274 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

I hear these titles are updated to work with newer versions of Windows. Is there like a luancher, or does it just list "Command and Conquer Collection" or all of the titles seperate?

They all work with both Win 7 and Win 8 with no problems.

It's through Origin. You get one key and then it redeems as all the individual games on Origin. It verifies you own the game on launch but it doesn't require a constant connection or any nonsense like that like the new Sim City will.

I'm not sure if Origin has an offline mode or not. I've never tried.

I don't think there is any other DRM than Origin. I haven't noticed any.

steam_sig.png

#12275 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

They all work with both Win 7 and Win 8 with no problems.

It's through Origin. You get one key and then it redeems as all the individual games on Origin. It verifies you own the game on launch but it doesn't require a constant connection or any nonsense like that like the new Sim City will.

I'm not sure if Origin has an offline mode or not. I've never tried.

I don't think there is any other DRM than Origin. I haven't noticed any.

Cool. Picked it up, because like you said it's probably a mistake. I have like 10 of those coupons left so it's good to use another (I used my first on Hotline Maimi!) :bouncy:

#12276 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Okay so I ported a fair amount of code to Firefox and submitted my Add-On for inclusion in their Add-On repository (store? page? thing?)

If anyone would like to test and provide feedback, you can install it directly from my website. Doing so, it won't automatically update when I make changes (best I can tell, that requires the Mozilla site approval).

Let me know what kind of interesting new bugs you guys find!

EDIT: at the moment, this is just the basic stuff - cleaning up the javascript in search, highlighting games you own and games on your wishlist, highlighting owned DLC on the game page. I may be able to port a few of the other features over, but this should be a good "jumping off" point.

What is there seemed to work and because of it I found out that I apparently own Dota 2. It isn't in my steam library, but the store page says I have it and it is highlighted.

#12277 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

What is there seemed to work and because of it I found out that I apparently own Dota 2. It isn't in my steam library, but the store page says I have it and it is highlighted.

Likely spectator mode.

#12278 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

*Ninjaed!

I thought I remember reading someone saying before that everyone 'owns' it but if you never got a true beta key then it's just some sort of watch and observe client thing where you can watch other people play or some silliness like that.

steam_sig.png

#12279 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Amazon price matched the Command and Conquer pack to the gamefly gamestop $16.99 sale which means it's $11.99 with the Editor's Choice $5 if you have any left.

Tony said they weren't going to do it so it's probably a mistake auto-price match like the Hotline Miami $5 was. If you want it for $12 I would grab it ASAP.

*Edited to add: It's Origin only, but I know some people here were interested in it if it was $12 so figured I'd repost that here.

Aaaand the deal is dead. It was a mistake price match.

steam_sig.png

#12280 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Still pondering Crysis. Anybody recommend 1 v. 2?

Also if I have a quad-core Phenom with an nVidia GT 240, will it run C 1 without breaking?

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#12281 soulkyo

soulkyo

Veterinary Medicine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Also if I have a quad-core Phenom with an nVidia GT 240, will it run C 1 without breaking?

Check your PC here.

#12282 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

You're a quick man! Thanks! So far it seems to work. Although, do you have a lost of things you've worked on? nvm found it on your website.

I checked SR3 game page since I have the complete pack, and it shows correctly which DLC I do and do not have (strangely enough there's two I don't have: bloodsucker and all unlockables packs)

I can confirm that the "Fixes the "No Image Available" images on your wishlist" part does not work.
I can't really tell if the DRM thing works. I've looked at the Batman AA store page (I searched the web for a steamgame with bad DRM and this seems to be one) but couldnt find anything mentioning drm.
Wishlist: can't check since I don't have anything on my wishlist that I already own :P
Looking at bundle pages shows me which games in the bundle I already own, but the "See how much you've spent on your Steam account" doesn't seem to show.

Hope this is helpful :)

yeah I noticed the wishlist icons weren't working - Firefox apparently uses a different format for their package manifest file than chrome, so the add-on isn't loading for any page that is loaded from steamcommunity.com yet, but I'm working on it!

The bundle pricing thing is a bug and I'm working on that now. DRM warnings are not yet implemented.

Some features may never make it to a Firefox release, but I'll do what I can! 8-)

#12283 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

I'd get 2 at the Origin sale simply because the 1st game is 5 dollars all the time, while for the second that's by far the best discount it's had yet and likely won't be matched until a MSRP drop.

#12284 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

I can't seem to get into a game of Ravaged. I see plenty of active servers, yet I sit there waiting to connect for ages until it says I've lost my connection to the host. Oh well.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#12285 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Check your PC here.

or

http://www.systemreq...ntslab.com/cyri

76561198003417354.png

Steam: kagegao | XBL: MC Kage | The BackLoggery

WTB: - Xbox 360 S/E (with 250GB HDD or more) for Cheap

-GoW3, Halo 4, Halo Wars, GTA V, BF4

#12286 Therapy

Therapy

You Know You Need Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

yeah I noticed the wishlist icons weren't working - Firefox apparently uses a different format for their package manifest file than chrome, so the add-on isn't loading for any page that is loaded from steamcommunity.com yet, but I'm working on it!

The bundle pricing thing is a bug and I'm working on that now. DRM warnings are not yet implemented.

Some features may never make it to a Firefox release, but I'll do what I can! 8-)

Well I'm liking it so far :D good job!

#12287 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

I like how the DoW II DLC stuff is such a mess, that Steam itself doesn't recognize that I own it, but Enhanced Steam does. Or maybe that's just because of the bundled keys from Amazon work.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#12288 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Those requirement sites are usually inaccurate and often insist you can't run things unless you have sub one-year old tech. An Nvidia GT 240 should have no trouble running Crysis 1, obviously not fully maxed out, though, and depending on your resolution.

#12289 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Those requirement sites are usually inaccurate and often insist you can't run things unless you have sub one-year old tech. An Nvidia GT 240 should have no trouble running Crysis 1, obviously not fully maxed out, though, and depending on your resolution.

I'm not pushing the pixels too hard; I have a 17" monitor at 1280x1024.

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#12290 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

FYI: I started a thread on SPUF for Enhanced Steam. Go run up the recommendations!

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#12291 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

FYI: I started a thread on SPUF for Enhanced Steam. Go run up the recommendations!

Awesome, thanks! "Superfantastic" huh? You're gonna make me blush! :oops:

#12292 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Jshackles, it would be cool to include some things that aren't just things that Valve would or should include.

I'm feeling you want to keep the professionalism in your work, but what i'm thinking is this: another thing I frequently do when looking up a game is look for video reviews and gameplay from certain sites. If those videos were already waiting for me it would be a time saver. I usually check you tube for Giant Bomb Quicklooks, and Total Biscut's WTF is... videos. The ES options could have a checkable box if you want to include one site and not another.

I think this would be totally cool for my use and also cool because Valve probably wouldn't ever do it on their own.

#12293 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Alright Firefox chaps!

Has been updated to v 1.1 which implements these features:

Highlights 3rd party DRM
Finds out how much you save in a bundle
See how much you've spent on your Steam account
Fixes "No Image Available" on your wishlist

KNOWN BUG:
I haven't quite figured out the cross-domain scripting for SteamGameSales.com, so for now it will say "Fetching price history" on the game page for... well forever. Hopefully in the next version I'll figure this out.

Enjoy!

#12294 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

So if we wanted to start a database of DLC divided into categories of content/cosmetic/early unlock, what would be the best place to do something like that? A public shared Google doc maybe?

So something like

<Base game title> | <DLC name> | <link to DLC's Steam store page> | <category> (ie content/cosmetic/early unlock)

Does that make sense?

steam_sig.png

#12295 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Other idea, just have a blank in the options to include youtube search parameters. That way you wouldn't be on the hook for including every game website and worry IGN or whoever doesn't get left off.

So yeah, in the blank I'd put Giant bomb quick look and the extension would search for that plus the game name and the result would show on the Steam game page.

#12296 Ithian

Ithian

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Alright Firefox chaps!

Highlights 3rd party DRM

KNOWN BUG:
I haven't quite figured out the cross-domain scripting for SteamGameSales.com, so for now it will say "Fetching price history" on the game page for... well forever. Hopefully in the next version I'll figure this out.

Enjoy!

This is awesome. Thank you! I usually browse Firefox on my mac laptop and this is the first version I could get working. Chrome plugin never wants to install and the old greasemonkey script didn't do anything. This is working as you described. Very cool.

#12297 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Jshackles, it would be cool to include some things that aren't just things that Valve would or should include.

I'm feeling you want to keep the professionalism in your work, but what i'm thinking is this: another thing I frequently do when looking up a game is look for video reviews and gameplay from certain sites. If those videos were already waiting for me it would be a time saver. I usually check you tube for Giant Bomb Quicklooks, and Total Biscut's WTF is... videos. The ES options could have a checkable box if you want to include one site and not another.

I think this would be totally cool for my use and also cool because Valve probably wouldn't ever do it on their own.

It's not so much a matter of professionalism, it's just a matter of (trying to) stay relatively bias-free. If I feature "Giant Bomb Quicklooks" or "Total Biscut's WTF is..." videos, it establishes them as the "go to" videos for reviews, and leaves out a lot of other really good review videos that some users may prefer. Check boxes in the options help, but if I were going to do this, it would probably be more of a box in the options for you to type in the link of a Youtube channel so the plugin could pull the videos from that channel, and default it to blank (only use Steam's videos). That way, users could enter whatever channel they wanted to.

So if we wanted to start a database of DLC divided into categories of content/cosmetic/early unlock, what would be the best place to do something like that? A public shared Google doc maybe?

So something like

<Base game title> | <DLC name> | <link to DLC's Steam store page> | <category> (ie content/cosmetic/early unlock)

Does that make sense?

I've been working on putting this into the back end of the EnhancedSteam.com website. My database format will be something similar (<Base Game Title>, <Base Game Steam App ID>, <DLC Name>, <DLC Steam App ID>, <category>)

If you guys want to start a Google doc now and then let me leech that data when I'm ready, that would be great! :D

#12298 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

You Don't Know Jack just went on sale for $2.99 (85% off) at Amazon.

It does redeem on Steam.

Since no one knows what is going on with the THQ sale and who will end up getting the rights to each IP, whether it will stay on Steam etc, and since this is a more obscure title that doesn't go on sale a lot anyway, if you want it probably a good idea to grab it now.

steam_sig.png

#12299 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

It's not so much a matter of professionalism, it's just a matter of (trying to) stay relatively bias-free. If I feature "Giant Bomb Quicklooks" or "Total Biscut's WTF is..." videos, it establishes them as the "go to" videos for reviews, and leaves out a lot of other really good review videos that some users may prefer. Check boxes in the options help, but if I were going to do this, it would probably be more of a box in the options for you to type in the link of a Youtube channel so the plugin could pull the videos from that channel, and default it to blank (only use Steam's videos). That way, users could enter whatever channel they wanted to.

I've been working on putting this into the back end of the EnhancedSteam.com website. My database format will be something similar (<Base Game Title>, <Base Game Steam App ID>, <DLC Name>, <DLC Steam App ID>, <category>)

If you guys want to start a Google doc now and then let me leech that data when I'm ready, that would be great! :D

See my following post.

#12300 inm8num2

inm8num2

GOG Pogs are coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

Alright Firefox chaps!

Highlights 3rd party DRM

KNOWN BUG:

Enjoy!

Wonderful, thanks!