Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#12301 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

You Don't Know Jack just went on sale for $2.99 (85% off) at Amazon.

Bought!

Wait, I mean "OMG I can't use my EC coupon and get for -$2.00 worst sale ever"

Thanks for the tip, been waiting to get this cheap. Maybe I can get my wife to play a game with me some day.

#12302 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

It does redeem on Steam.

Since no one knows what is going on with the THQ sale and who will end up getting the rights to each IP, whether it will stay on Steam etc, and since this is a more obscure title that doesn't go on sale a lot anyway, if you want it probably a good idea to grab it now.

Thanks! :D

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#12303 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Thanks for the heads up! Not sure if I'll ever play it, but like you said with THQ going away it's future on Steam is up in the air at this point. Bought!

See my following post.

Yeah I saw that after I wrote that long post :) Shouldn't be difficult to do. The difficult part would be potentially inserting them into the Steam code with all the rest of the videos. Other than that, I could make a new box and embed the video there, separately.

#12304 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

I'm not pushing the pixels too hard; I have a 17" monitor at 1280x1024.

Should be more than fine to run it.

#12305 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

It does redeem on Steam.

Since no one knows what is going on with the THQ sale and who will end up getting the rights to each IP, whether it will stay on Steam etc, and since this is a more obscure title that doesn't go on sale a lot anyway, if you want it probably a good idea to grab it now.

FWIW, I'm not sure it's worth it even at this price. I've read that it's hotseat multiplayer only on PC and is missing some other features present in the console versions. Kind-of a slap in the face for a series that was born on PCs.

fs_20fa6c7c0d5d11e0a23d8bb844bec87b.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#12306 Garrion

Garrion

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

It does redeem on Steam.

Thanks for the heads-up, Motoki! Been waiting for this one.

#12307 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

FWIW, I'm not sure it's worth it even at this price. I've read that it's hotseat multiplayer only on PC and is missing some other features present in the console versions. Kind-of a slap in the face for a series that was born on PCs.

I played it back in the 90's and it was only hotseat multiplayer then so I'm not sure I'd be missing out on anything.

#12308 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Yeah I saw that after I wrote that long post :) Shouldn't be difficult to do. The difficult part would be potentially inserting them into the Steam code with all the rest of the videos. Other than that, I could make a new box and embed the video there, separately.

Speaking of reviews, is Juanjava's suggestion about adding in the Metacritic user score on the Steam page doable?

I notice that some games, like EA games in particular, tend to have huge discrepancies between the two scores:

Posted Image

And before anyone says 'the users are just trolls!' I skimmed through the reviews and most of them actually specified the reasons they were giving it a low score.

*Edited to add: Admittedly this is kind of a bad example because it's not on Steam, but it was the first one I ran across that had a big gap like that.

steam_sig.png

#12309 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

I liked Most Wanted (on the Vita)....

#12310 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

Speaking of reviews, is Juanjava's suggestion about adding in the Metacritic user score on the Steam page doable?

Spoiler

Shouldn't be too hard at all, actually. It will be especially easy since the games which have Metacritic scores, Steam includes the link directly to Metacritic for me to parse.

EDIT:

Also, this. https://addons.mozil...enhanced-steam/

They said it would take 5-10 days for them to review and approve the addon so that it will appear in search results and update automatically, but it's hosted there if anyone wants to install it directly from Mozilla.

#12311 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

I liked Most Wanted (on the Vita)....

I thought the Android one was decent too. Admittedly, I haven't tried to PC version at all and there seem to be lots of complaints about the controls, it being a console port, same old same old, etc, *shrug*

Asheskitty might know more on the PC version. She seems to be the resident racing game expert. ;)

steam_sig.png

#12312 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

It's not so much a matter of professionalism, it's just a matter of (trying to) stay relatively bias-free. If I feature "Giant Bomb Quicklooks" or "Total Biscut's WTF is..." videos, it establishes them as the "go to" videos for reviews, and leaves out a lot of other really good review videos that some users may prefer. Check boxes in the options help, but if I were going to do this, it would probably be more of a box in the options for you to type in the link of a Youtube channel so the plugin could pull the videos from that channel, and default it to blank (only use Steam's videos). That way, users could enter whatever channel they wanted to.

I've been working on putting this into the back end of the EnhancedSteam.com website. My database format will be something similar (<Base Game Title>, <Base Game Steam App ID>, <DLC Name>, <DLC Steam App ID>, <category>)

If you guys want to start a Google doc now and then let me leech that data when I'm ready, that would be great! :D

Why not just a general "Find This Game on Youtube" button that would open a new tab with search results?

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#12313 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

Last time I checked into NFS: Most Wanted (2012) a little before Xmas, they still haven't solved some horrible performance issues on the PC. The lowest I've seen it for on the PC is $20 and that's not low enough for me to risk it yet.

I find cases of a metacritic split greater than 10 (multiplying critics score by 10) to be interesting. Diablo III is another large split that comes to mind. There are a couple more. The sad case is when critic scores are low (claiming that the game doesn't do anything new) but the user scores are rather higher.

Interesting article and examples of critic/user splits is here:
http://www.metacriti...vs-user-reviews

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#12314 oman19

oman19

Master of the Universe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

It does redeem on Steam.

I know on Xbox there was quite a fair amount of DLC. Is this already in the game, because I don't see it available on Steam. Even if it's not available still a insta-buy.

#12315 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

I know on Xbox there was quite a fair amount of DLC. Is this already in the game, because I don't see it available on Steam. Even if it's not available still a insta-buy.

2-players only and no DLC, FYI.

fs_20fa6c7c0d5d11e0a23d8bb844bec87b.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#12316 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

Anyone know if there's a way to use the xbox big button controllers from scene it with the PC version of YDKJ?

#12317 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

It does redeem on Steam.

Now this game brings up memories. I played quite a bit of the original with friends almost 20 years ago. Come to think of it, one of those that I played it with is now a senior programmer at THQ. Full circle and all that.

#12318 p-spiddy

p-spiddy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

Alright Firefox chaps!

http://enhancedsteam...anced-steam.xpi

Has been updated to v 1.1 which implements these features:

Highlights 3rd party DRM
Finds out how much you save in a bundle
See how much you've spent on your Steam account
Fixes "No Image Available" on your wishlist

KNOWN BUG:
I haven't quite figured out the cross-domain scripting for SteamGameSales.com, so for now it will say "Fetching price history" on the game page for... well forever. Hopefully in the next version I'll figure this out.

Enjoy!

Sweet! Thanks!

I finally started to D/L everything I bought from BF to New Year's sales and it's a little over 300gb. Insanity.

#12319 Wapcaplet

Wapcaplet

Ancient Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

No DLC -- the console DLC packs were never released for PC.

YDKJ was one of the few games I willingly picked up on PS3 instead of PC because the PC version pales in comparison to the console releases (no DLC, no online multiplayer, only two players [the older PC versions supported 3 players], no controller support).

#12320 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Posted Image

Work in progress. I might have to pull in that "Metascore" graphic and make my own 8-)

#12321 oman19

oman19

Master of the Universe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

Just a quick heads up saw a post about the Elder Scrolls collection for $33 on slickdeals. http://slickdeals.ne...pansions-DLC-31

Elder Scrolls III Morrowind Game of the Year
Elder Scrolls III Morrowind: Bloodmoon
Elder Scrolls III Morrowind: Tribunal
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion Game of the Year
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion: Knights of the Nine
Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Elder Scrolls V Dawnguard
Elder Scrolls V Hearthfire

Seems to be a single key for all games after reading through the thread.

edit: For some reason can't get a link to post on the forum here so the direct link to the website offering the deal is in the slickdeals thread.

#12322 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

Was I the only one who did not care for NFS:MW. I mean I liked the premise but I found the controls or vehicle handling to be way too stiff. Like I played many other racers but I found the cars (or vehicles I did drive) here to be way too hard to turn.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#12323 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

It does redeem on Steam.

Fuck. I was one of the ones pushing for this and I seriously missed it? How long was it even up for?
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#12324 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

Argh I just got home and realized I missed YDKJ :( Just like Genocidal, it was one of the only games I was still hoping for from Amazon, since I had the DOW and THQ stuff already. I hope it comes back.
Posted Image

#12325 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

Spoiler

Work in progress. I might have to pull in that "Metascore" graphic and make my own 8-)

Probably. It's a good start to prove the user score can be pulled in. It probably should be clearly noted which is the critic score, as opposed to "metascore" which is vague and implies a comprehensive score, and which is the user one.

Last time I checked into NFS: Most Wanted (2012) a little before Xmas, they still haven't solved some horrible performance issues on the PC. The lowest I've seen it for on the PC is $20 and that's not low enough for me to risk it yet.

I find cases of a metacritic split greater than 10 (multiplying critics score by 10) to be interesting. Diablo III is another large split that comes to mind. There are a couple more. The sad case is when critic scores are low (claiming that the game doesn't do anything new) but the user scores are rather higher.

Interesting article and examples of critic/user splits is here:
http://www.metacriti...vs-user-reviews

Oh definitely. That always gets my attention when I notice the scores are so far out of sync with each other and to try and look and figure out why that was the case.

In looking I found that in the majority of cases the two scores are pretty on par with each other, but there are definitely some glaring examples when they aren't.

It seemed like the critics in general were way more lenient on EA games, and also on ones with harsh DRM schemes.

Was I the only one who did not care for NFS:MW. I mean I liked the premise but I found the controls or vehicle handling to be way too stiff. Like I played many other racers but I found the cars (or vehicles I did drive) here to be way too hard to turn.

Oh no, if you look at the metacritic user reviews you are not alone. Most people are complaining about the controls, which the critics somehow seemed to gloss over.

Fuck. I was one of the ones pushing for this and I seriously missed it? How long was it even up for?

A couple of hours or so? Not long. I hope he gets more in for people who want it because I have no idea what's going to happen to it with the THQ auction coming up soon.

If I knew they were going to run out so fast I would have grabbed extras but I thought it was kind of an odd nichey casual game that a lot of gamers wouldn't be into. *shrug*

steam_sig.png

#12326 stupidproz1

stupidproz1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

Diablo 3 metacritic score critic vs. user score is laughable =).

edit: Wrong thread

Edited by stupidproz1, 14 January 2013 - 04:58 AM.

#12327 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

Probably. It's a good start to prove the user score can be pulled in. It probably should be clearly noted which is the critic score, as opposed to "metascore" which is vague and implies a comprehensive score, and which is the user one.

This is from my latest code:

Posted Image

Rather than pulling the data directly from Metacritic (as this will require YET ANOTHER permissions change) to the Chrome extension, I've set up a PHP page on EnhancedSteam.com that pulls the score, and the extension pulls the score from EnhancedSteam.com

SO what this means is the v1.8 of the Chrome extension will have another permissions change, but with the added permission being to EnhancedSteam.com which we'll use in the future for other stuff later.

#12328 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

Oh no, if you look at the metacritic user reviews you are not alone. Most people are complaining about the controls, which the critics somehow seemed to gloss over.

Oh good. I bought it for PS3 when it was $25. I pop it in, and about 5 minutes I am seriously going wtf my car wont turn. I spent about 20-30 minutes in that game before I gave up. I played Gran Turismo, Burnout Paradise, Shift 2, many other racers and none of them had such god awful control. I mean seriously I don't think I ever faced such stiff driving that it makes the game almost unplayable. Especially when they want you to boost and turn on a dime.

In other news, I still hate uPlay. I decided to pop in far cry 3 again, 275 MB patch. That is like the 3rd 275mb patch since it's launch which makes me wonder why.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#12329 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

Thanks to Tsel for being awesome and selling me his copy of YDKJ :)
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#12330 osso1

osso1

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

I`m on the fence about buying Alice: Madness Returns The Complete Collection ($6.99 after Coupon)
I think I have 3 Hours to Decide
Is it worth getting for backlog or waiting for it to go on sale again later