Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#12781 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:53 AM

Where do you have it? I was trying to get the Gamersgate Void version to run and it wouldn't for me. Was wondering if maybe it was just their version.

Was that before they pulled the void service?

#12782 fore1337

fore1337

Back to a normal avatar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

So I couldn't wait any longer... grabbed Sacred 2 Gold for $10
http://cloud-2.steam...C248AD2FE9B09C/
Man I love this game.

#12783 mjontrix

mjontrix

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

[WinME] Hi there, remember me? [/WinMe]

Oh god windows ME.... It's bad... REALLY BAD... It sucks ass from a straw.

#12784 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

I've not bought many strategy guides in my years.

A few come to mind though.

I bought a Mortal Kombat 2 one cause I wanted to know all the moves and secrets.

Also, I think I might have had one for Final Fantasy III aka VI for SNES.

Once the internet came along they stopped being useful. Currently, though I have three guides still.

1. Star Wars KOTOR 2 - I never bought it and it was given to me by a friend after he beat the game.
2. Mass Effect (sealed) - It was a buck at a Circuit City liquidation.
3. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Bought the game off someone on Craigslist and they gave me the guide for free.

I wouldn't mind having one of the collector's edition guides they have made for: Skyrim, FO3, New Vegas, Zelda, etc.

I'll probably use this feature at some point on Steam though.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12785 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

Lol, Windows 2000. Made me love Windows 98 2nd Edition.

Windows 2000 is not Windows ME and is in fact a very solid operating system, just saying.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#12786 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

Glad I spent all that money on updating my Sims 3. Runs like dog crap. Freezing, stuttering, WAY too long of load times for a what 4 year old game? Who programmed this thing? Monkeys? F! Its not my pc. For a game THIS old, most anything should run it and well. What a clusterfuck.

I've booted it three times now, just to have it freeze unfreeze freeze unfreeze stuff. Thats of course AFTER the 5 minute initial load time. Lots of reported instances. Just a reminder as to why I forked over quite a bit of money to EA for expansion packs. This could all also just be my very own fault.

I'd buy Sacred 2 Gold NOW if I could get it for 10$. Would if they hadn't yanked it off steam.

Edited by sleeping_lights_on, 18 January 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#12787 fore1337

fore1337

Back to a normal avatar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

I'd buy Sacred 2 Gold NOW if I could get it for 10$. Would if they hadn't yanked it off steam.

http://store.steampo...com/app/225640/
It's back. (it's 50% off if you own Sacred2 Fallen Angel)

#12788 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

Glad I spent all that money on updating my Sims 3. Runs like dog crap. Freezing, stuttering, WAY too long of load times for a what 4 year old game? Who programmed this thing? Monkeys? F! Its not my pc. For a game THIS old, most anything should run it and well. What a clusterfuck.

I've booted it three times now, just to have it freeze unfreeze freeze unfreeze stuff. Thats of course AFTER the 5 minute initial load time. Lots of reported instances. Just a reminder as to why I forked over quite a bit of money to EA for expansion packs. This could all also just be my very own fault.

I know you say it's not your PC's problem, but FWIW, the game runs perfect on both mine and my girlfriend's laptops that are nowhere near spec-heavy, so yeah.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#12789 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

I know you say it's not your PC's problem, but FWIW, the game runs perfect on both mine and my girlfriend's laptops that are nowhere near spec-heavy, so yeah.

Uhg.

#12790 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

I like strategy guides in print form. I occasionally pick up used ones for games I don't have the time to play or for systems I don't intend to buy to get a feel for what the game is like. I also pick up old ones at garage sales when I encounter them.

Never saw the appeal of buying a digital guide, though. If I'm going to read it on a screen, I may as well be grabbing the info off of GameFAQs.

I knew everything about A Link to the Past before I had the game. I studied that book so closely. I even remember reading it while riding my bike and hitting a parked car.

That's dedication. Imagine if the GBA version existed back then, you could have crashed your bike while PLAYING ALttP.

#12791 deviousnaraku

deviousnaraku

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Magicka's Jolnirs Workshop is free, for a limited time I think.

Thanks. Didn't even realize they're still making DLC for it.
Sign up for GreenManGaming using my link and get $2 credit when you spend $2 or more!

#12792 jatan11t

jatan11t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

Purchased Anno 2070 despite all the hate on DRM.

I got it during the summer sale. And regretted every minute of it.... well at least until the week after I got it, which was when the UbiSoft servers finally came back up and let me register the game so that I could play.

#12793 soulkyo

soulkyo

Veterinary Medicine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Windows 2000 is not Windows ME and is in fact a very solid operating system, just saying.

Yeah, my bad. I loved Windows 98 SE above all. Today I'm upgrading to Windows 8. I'm getting old xD
Btw, will Magicka ever get a definitive collection?

76561198071042127.png     logo.png

#12794 XeRoFuN

XeRoFuN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

sonic all stars racing: unleashed is getting 3 PC exclusive characters

- the heavy from tf2
- football manager guy
- samurai from shogun 2

sega has been great in supporting steam and the pc market, i'm really impressed with them the last few years

Sweet! My body is ready. :)
Posted Image

#12795 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

I like strategy guides in print form. I occasionally pick up used ones for games I don't have the time to play or for systems I don't intend to buy to get a feel for what the game is like. I also pick up old ones at garage sales when I encounter them.

I used to get the print guides a lot, for two specific reasons. First, I hate having to alt-tab out of a game to go to GameFaqs, especially when alt-tabbing crashes the game. Second, the pictures and maps that they employ in written guides are more helpful to me than the pure .txt variety from GameFaqs.

That said, charging $19.99 for PDF versions is just crazy to me when GameFaqs is out there. If it's between struggling to understand which pillar is supposed to be on my right or spending twenty bucks to see a screenshot of the pillar that's supposed to be on my right, I'm going to struggle with GameFaqs.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#12796 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Alt-Tabbing can be a pain but, for me, I just use my tablet to look stuff up when I don't want to risk tabbing out. And a lot of games (at least the ones I play) have pretty detailed Wikis with pictures, maps, etc.

I can understand people who just enjoy a game and like reading the guides as an extension of that. I used to have a Civ II guide I'd read almost just for pleasure. It was well written and informative and a way to get my Civ II fix when playing the game was impractical.

#12797 darkling23

darkling23

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Where do you have it? I was trying to get the Gamersgate Void version to run and it wouldn't for me. Was wondering if maybe it was just their version.

I think Void is the problem there... I believe GG stopped the program and all the Void games don't work anymore. :(

I have an old retail disc!

#12798 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

sonic all stars racing: unleashed is getting 3 PC exclusive characters

- the heavy from tf2
- football manager guy
- samurai from shogun 2

sega has been great in supporting steam and the pc market, i'm really impressed with them the last few years

Pretty cool that we're getting PC exclusive characters, even if I'm not interested in any of them. Makes me glad I preordered it for PC, I just hope the game doesn't have so many issues with AMD cards like the first game did.

#12799 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Btw, will Magicka ever get a definitive collection stop getting DLC?

Magic 8 Ball Says: Don't count on it

76561197971332172.png

#12800 Seraphym

Seraphym

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

The only guide I've ever bought was for FFTactics & it was very helpful.

#12801 deftrance

deftrance

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I have four shelves of my bookshelf in the gameroom stacked with strategy guides... And I have no idea why. I collect them and rarely ever use them. Le sigh.

#12802 Mighty Tor

Mighty Tor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

[WinME] Hi there, remember me? [/WinMe]

Worst Windows OS I ever used was Windows XP 64-Bit. No drivers, no support from Microsoft, not even the Zune worked with it (yes I bought a Zune, it was cheap one black Friday and a I have a semi-irrational hatred of Apple). The amount of registry tweaking I had to do just to get games to run in 64-bit mode, well the few that did back then, like Hellgate London, was ridiculous (and in the case of Hellgate, not worth the effort at all). Hideous abortion of an OS.

I will say this for WinMe, it rebooted really quick. Which was great because it was going to do that constantly whether you wanted it to or not.

#12803 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• Silenced

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Was that before they pulled the void service?

I think Void is the problem there... I believe GG stopped the program and all the Void games don't work anymore. :(

I have an old retail disc!

It was actually before Void was pulled. The issue I suspected was that Void did not have any support for Windows 8. So none of the pre-game ads would load and the game would just go to the main menu and I couldn't do anything from there.

#12804 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Yeah, I've personally never been one for purchased physical guides, though I suppose I can see their appeal. Even during my text adventure days, the guides I did have were at least on RAM cartridges (volatile) or floppy. That or I made my own guide with these ancient tools called pencil and paper. Like others have mentioned, I mostly just pop up a wikia site on my iPad if I need it. Now if there was a digital delivery of guides through something like Kindle or whatever magazine equivalent, I might be more interested. Though it would have to be pretty high value to compare with what is already free.

#12805 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Looks like it's Capcom weekend on GreenManGaming. 50-75% off a handful of titles, plus the 20% voucher GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK. All games activate on Steam: http://www.greenmang...m/capcom-deals/

This is the lowest price for Dead Rising 2 and Lost Planet 2 and the lowest non-group price for SSF4AE that I've seen.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#12806 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Looks like it's Capcom weekend on GreenManGaming. 50-75% off a handful of titles, plus the 20% voucher GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK. All games activate on Steam: http://www.greenmang...m/capcom-deals/

This is the lowest price for Dead Rising 2 and Lost Planet 2 and the lowest non-group price for SSF4AE that I've seen.

Nice deal on Dead Rising 2. If you buy both DR2 and DR2 OTR, the price is about the same as Steam's was during the winter sale, but it'll be missing the DLC.

Lost Planet 2 is tempting, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

#12807 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Thanks! Picked up Dark Void Zero for $1 (using a credit I had) thinking about RE:5 but it's been cheaper before so I can probably wait.

#12808 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'm looking at Edna and Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes ($4), but I'm wondering whether the first game which is not currently available on steam needs to be played first.

#12809 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I have four shelves of my bookshelf in the gameroom stacked with strategy guides... And I have no idea why. I collect them and rarely ever use them. Le sigh.

I have about the same amount. Been meaning to get rid of non-RPG guides. Most I bought for cheap, and I actually don't like using guides unless I'm stuck, or I want to see the full skill tree. Those are always available from a quick search online.

I mostly have them because the guide + game is usually worth more money, but I've been converted back to PC gaming, so I don't even care about titles available on PCs any more.

#12810 kidrocklive

kidrocklive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Nice deal on Dead Rising 2. If you buy both DR2 and DR2 OTR, the price is about the same as Steam's was during the winter sale, but it'll be missing the DLC.

Is there really a point to getting DR2 and DR2 OTR? Isn't OTR the same as DR2 but with a bunch of extras?