Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#12931 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

Yeah, I've been lazy w/ driver updating - hehe.
I've had the latest downloaded (310.90), but ain't installed them.
There's no major game here that I'm playing right now (performing poorly/underwhelming) that's forcing me to upgrade them.

I didn't even notice how much of an improvement drivers can make until Skyrim that is. One driver update increase my fps by about 5, that's not a lot but I'll take free extra performance any day of the week.

You may also want to test and see how well Physx performs when you use your processor instead of your GPU.

#12932 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

I didn't even notice how much of an improvement drivers can make until Skyrim that is. One driver update increase my fps by about 5, that's not a lot but I'll take free extra performance any day of the week.

Yeah, depends on so many things - the game itself; developers themselves (when working on the game - especialyl when they patch it); what NVidia does with the drivers; and many other things.

I love Skyrim, BTW. :D

#12933 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

Yeah, I've been lazy w/ driver updating - hehe.
I've had the latest downloaded (310.90), but ain't installed them.
There's no major game here that I'm playing right now (performing poorly/underwhelming) that's forcing me to upgrade them.

EDIT:
I've basically been playing NBA2K13; YDKJ (2011); and the EA Classics Pack from Amazon (NHL 09 & Madden 08).

The Nvidia drivers released a week back fixed some security hole, fyi.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#12934 headpiece747

headpiece747

I'm always angry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

I just finished Dishonored (which was great by the way all the talk on cagcast with wombat and people here were right) and was racking my brain on what to play next and decided to play Spec Ops and it is funny I come here and people are talking about it. For a second I thought you guys were saying there was a high texture mod for it that I was missing but then reread the post about itbeing for Crysis 2 so :(

#12935 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

So does anyone else here play Natural Selection 2? I bought it during the Holiday sale and I've racked up like 71 hours so far. The game is great. At first it is pretty wtf is going on as you don't know crap and it takes a few hours of playing to get a idea of whats going on with each side. Gameplay is great, it is pretty well balanced and a lot of fun. There really isn't any two matches that are the same with random start points, different commanders, and just so much that can be done differently. The community is excellent and really does make the game much more enjoyable as I've only come across a few assholes.

The game also has a pretty simple but very effective way of making it easier on you and others. When you first start playing your name is green, everyone knows that green names are rookies and generally they will tell you what needs to be done and how to do it as well as answer questions. There are servers that are also green which are rookie servers so people playing on those servers generally are much more laid back and understanding and willing to help. After playing x amount of hours the green is removed from your name (you can put it back on or remove it in the options as well if you like).

Even after my 71 hours, I've only commanded 3 times (all for marines) and I have no idea how to even command for the aliens really lol. For those that don't know, each time has a commander, they job in a chair in the game and basically play the game from an overhead RTS view. Giving orders to the players, putting down things to build/grow and are responsible for the direction your team goes in strategy and tech while managing resources to get you upgrades and such. Everyone else plays the game in FPS. Marines are mostly standard FPS play and can get jetpacks and Exo suits (mechs) and some fancy weapons, aliens evolve into higher life formers that can do various things (heal, fly, teleport). All have their uses and are done well.

I recommend the game highly, and for those of you who have it but haven't played yet, I really urge you too (I see on my friends list there is like 18 that have it with like none of them even playing it yet lol)

#12936 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

So does anyone else here play Natural Selection 2? I bought it during the Holiday sale and I've racked up like 71 hours so far. The game is great. At first it is pretty wtf is going on as you don't know crap and it takes a few hours of playing to get a idea of whats going on with each side. Gameplay is great, it is pretty well balanced and a lot of fun. There really isn't any two matches that are the same with random start points, different commanders, and just so much that can be done differently. The community is excellent and really does make the game much more enjoyable as I've only come across a few assholes.

The game also has a pretty simple but very effective way of making it easier on you and others. When you first start playing your name is green, everyone knows that green names are rookies and generally they will tell you what needs to be done and how to do it as well as answer questions. There are servers that are also green which are rookie servers so people playing on those servers generally are much more laid back and understanding and willing to help. After playing x amount of hours the green is removed from your name (you can put it back on or remove it in the options as well if you like).

Even after my 71 hours, I've only commanded 3 times (all for marines) and I have no idea how to even command for the aliens really lol. For those that don't know, each time has a commander, they job in a chair in the game and basically play the game from an overhead RTS view. Giving orders to the players, putting down things to build/grow and are responsible for the direction your team goes in strategy and tech while managing resources to get you upgrades and such. Everyone else plays the game in FPS. Marines are mostly standard FPS play and can get jetpacks and Exo suits (mechs) and some fancy weapons, aliens evolve into higher life formers that can do various things (heal, fly, teleport). All have their uses and are done well.

I recommend the game highly, and for those of you who have it but haven't played yet, I really urge you too (I see on my friends list there is like 18 that have it with like none of them even playing it yet lol)

Does this have a bot mode? The game has looked very interesting to me but I tend to prefer games with a bot mode. I just don't play online too much and sometimes prefer to beat up on some bots. Sounds a little like one of the HL mods they had with zombies. I think you had a zombie commander and the rest just played FPS.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#12937 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Ehh, think I'm gonna wait on Stealth Bastard. I'd like to try it, but it seems a bit too puzzle esque as well as difficult.

#12938 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

If you want to try it, get the freeware version. It's pretty good.

#12939 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

I just finished Dishonored (which was great by the way all the talk on cagcast with wombat and people here were right) and was racking my brain on what to play next and decided to play Spec Ops and it is funny I come here and people are talking about it. For a second I thought you guys were saying there was a high texture mod for it that I was missing but then reread the post about itbeing for Crysis 2 so :(

You honestly don't need a texture pack for Spec Ops. Vsync locks to 60fps and removes all of the screen tearing.

#12940 m0ds

m0ds

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hello! A super snowy sunday to you.

3 x DRM free copies of The Cat Lady (new horror adventure game)

www.TheCatLady.co.uk > buy now > DRM-free version on its own > view cart > enter discount "S7SUPERSUNDAY" and update cart > checkout!

Usually £6.99 (or currently £6.50 cos of a site-wide discount)

ALL GONE! Thanks :)

"The Cat Lady is the finest horror adventure I've ever played. In fact, it's one of the finest adventure games I've ever played, period. A+" - Just Adventure

Edited by m0ds, 20 January 2013 - 02:22 PM.
Codes were a grab ed

#12941 cloudeen

cloudeen

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

got one. thanks a lot!

#12942 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

www.TheCatLady.co.uk > buy now > DRM-free version on its own > view cart > enter discount "S7SUPERSUNDAY" and update cart > checkout!

"The Cat Lady is the finest horror adventure I've ever played. In fact, it's one of the finest adventure games I've ever played, period. A+" - Just Adventure

Cool, downloading now. I actually up-voted this on Steam Greenlight. Thanks!

#12943 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Wait, if it's free, why do I need to enter my name and email?

#12944 Miracleman

Miracleman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Got the last one. Thanks

#12945 m0ds

m0ds

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thanks guys and also for your upvoting, enjoy the game. Thanks to your support, there certainly could be some exciting new places to get it from soon :)

Wait, if it's free, why do I need to enter my name and email?

I'm not giving out direct download links, sorry! You'll be emailed the activation link like any other customer. But I see your point, and could perhaps minimize what info is needed on that page, I'll look into it.

#12946 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Thanks guys and also for your upvoting, enjoy the game. Thanks to your support, there certainly could be some exciting new places to get it from soon :)

I'm not giving out direct download links, sorry! You'll be emailed the activation link like any other customer. But I see your point, and could perhaps minimize what info is needed on that page, I'll look into it.

Oh okay. Thanks for the giveaway though!

Edit: It's just that you only had 14 posts in 6 months and the more that you post, the more I trust you.

#12947 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

ALL GONE! Thanks :)

Rats! Missed your giveaway again. Looks like a really cool game and I hope it makes it to Steam. Thanks for doing this!

#12948 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Does this have a bot mode? The game has looked very interesting to me but I tend to prefer games with a bot mode. I just don't play online too much and sometimes prefer to beat up on some bots. Sounds a little like one of the HL mods they had with zombies. I think you had a zombie commander and the rest just played FPS.

No there isn't a bot mode, probably because it would be hard to do since it has RTS and FPS game types mixed together. In all honestly, the community is very cool and just letting people know it is your first time playing (besides your name being green) will normally get people to explain stuff to you and if you have a good commander they will micromanage you a bit so that you can learn the game quicker while being very helpful.

#12949 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

AirBuccaneers is the Daily Deal: $7.49 (50% off).

I don't know anything about this particular title - Any CAGly opinions?

#12950 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Steam should do a daily deal for a game ONLY if its 75%. It just waste of 24 hour slot. Oh well. Havent bought a daily for along time. Was tempted yesterdays deal but since its only 50% i pass

#12951 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Steam should do a daily deal for a game ONLY if its 75%. It just waste of 24 hour slot. Oh well. Havent bought a daily for along time. Was tempted yesterdays deal but since its only 50% i pass

CAG is a very small portion of the Steam userbase, and there are many, many, many users who are perfectly happy with a 50% off sale.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#12952 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

CAG is a very small portion of the Steam userbase, and there are many, many, many users who are perfectly happy with a 50% off sale.

Hell, there's a percentage of the Steam userbase who would buy a game for full MSRP from Steam and then justify why it's so much better than buying the same game's Steam key from GMG for 66% off.

#12953 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hats. Always hats.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#12954 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Before I knew better (pre-CAG), last year my first Steam purchase was Metro 2033 for $4.99 and thought I was getting a great deal. (This is where everyone laughs in chorus.) Amazing how knowledge and time affect hindsight...

#12955 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

I'm thinking of reporting this thread title to the ASA. It's Sunday, and I'm still not feeling tingly.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#12956 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Before I knew better (pre-CAG), last year my first Steam purchase was Metro 2033 for $4.99 and thought I was getting a great deal. (This is where everyone laughs in chorus.) Amazing how knowledge and time affect hindsight...

Well, before I knew how insane Tony was, I begged for a $4.99 Metro 2033 deal. And he delivered. Then a few months later it was bundles with a ton of other games for $7.50. lol

Also, I wonder if they will do a Natural Selection free weekend? It seems like the type of game that would benefit from it, but at the same time it seems popular enough that maybe they don't need one. It sounds great, but I still would like to try before I buy.

Finally, I missed the Crazy Cat Lady again! I was on the verge of ordering the special editions physical copy a few weeks ago, but decided against it after the Pounds to Dollars conversion was so low :(

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#12957 Tvols1480

Tvols1480

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Magicka - AGMKD-R0P5V-DH5MT

Enjoy :)

#12958 vantheman

vantheman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Magicka - AGMKD-R0P5V-DH5MT

Enjoy :)

Got it, thanks!

#12959 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

According to Steam, I've spent five hours on Sleeping Dogs this weekend. Good god this is a fantastic game. I love open-world GTA-ish games (favourite game of last year (that I actually played) was Saints Row: The Third) so I'm absolutely loving it.

It looks gorgeous, has tons to do, and most importantly it's fun to play. I'm really, really digging it.

I think there's some cheap copies ($10?) kicking around in the Steam Trade thread. If you're at a loss for things to play and fancy scratching that GTA itch, buy it.

#12960 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Its all about perspective. Is Metro 2033 worth $4.99? Hell yes, its a great game with great atmosphere (from what I've played), but the fact that we've all seen it for penny's (or free) makes us laugh when we see people buying it by itself. I wouldnt criticize any average Joe, or Jane for buying Metro 2033 for $5, but seeing as how we are basically the most informed consumers when it comes to video games it seems absurd to us.

Before I was a regular member of CAG I would oftentimes pay MSRP for games (which now seems like such a ridiculous waste), then one day I somehow stumbled on this site via the gamefly app (terrible app btw) on my droid and the rest was history.