Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#13051 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

Yeah, AP is just quite unbalanced in certain regards.

Namely, there's a few overpowered weapon skills in there (assault rifles) and some weapons are just WAY under-powered (pistols).
That Mark-and-Execute skill is way overpowered, as well.

AP also likes to use dice-rolls for hit & miss, as well - which should be a "No-no" in a game that has shooter-style controls; especially in games released after Mass Effect 2.

This shouldn't stop you from playing AP. AP has some great characters (such as Steven Heck); and the game is absolutely fantastic w/ making your choices matter to change the way the game actually plays out and its actual final outcome.

Except while the pistol is terrible when used normally, the Chain Shot skill (probably what you mean by the mark and execute) is without question the strongest thing in the game, and will kill any enemy in one go when maxed out, including the final boss. Maybe that took two chain shots. I just remember it being totally trivial.

Stealth is overpowered, with the extreme exception that it's useless against bosses.

The whole thing is sort of a buggy mess, but the story and the way choices are laid out is super cool. Would definitely recommend it for 3 bucks.

#13052 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

Hey everyone just a quick update on Enhanced Steam. I've updated it to version 2.1, which adds DLC categorization. If you're browsing a DLC page, you'll see a "DLC Details" box on the right hand side. There is also a link there you can click to suggest your own categories for it to go in. Any help you guys can provide will be appreciated!

Posted Image

#13053 mjontrix

mjontrix

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

Which is...?

Buy it, but then get the 'DRM-FREE' version.

#13054 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

Buy it, but then get the 'DRM-FREE' version.

I've bought two Penny Arcade games, where do I get the DRM-free version? Hadn't heard of this.

#13055 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

I don't believe he's talking about the Penny-Arcade branded games. He seems to be suggesting that, within the Penny-Arcade forum community, they condone buying a DRM-laden game and then downloading the cracked version to play instead.

#13056 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

Doubt that's what he meant. Like any discussion of piracy on that board is pretty instant ban worthy.

#13057 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Because this thread has been silent way too long...

D&D Ultimate DD going on sale for $11.99 @ Gamestop tomorrow.

Thread: http://www.cheapassg...d.php?t=336781

#13058 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Well, it's two hours until the next midweek!

D&D Ultimate doesn't seem to be Steam? Is this a good price? Is this the same thing that glitched on Gamersgate for less than $10?

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#13059 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Well, it's two hours until the next midweek!

D&D Ultimate doesn't seem to be Steam? Is this a good price? Is this the same thing that glitched on Gamersgate for less than $10?

The GamersGate glitch was the Anthology: Master Collection. This one seems to be the Master Collection plus Neverwinter Nights collection.

#13060 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'd probably jump on this if it were A) Steam, or B) Not Gamestop

Great set of games though!

#13061 soulkyo

soulkyo

Veterinary Medicine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

I'd probably jump on this if it were A) Steam, or B) Not Gamestop

Great set of games though!

It's not Steam. This is what appears on the description:

"GameStop App must be installed in order to download software."

Also, Sonic Games on sale on GMG.

http://www.greenmang...ga-deals-sonic/

76561198071042127.png     logo.png

#13062 SadPanda99

SadPanda99

I hate know it alls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

It's not Steam. This is what appears on the description:

"GameStop App must be installed in order to download software."

Also, Sonic Games on sale on GMG.

http://www.greenmang...ga-deals-sonic/

The gamestop app doesn't predict steam/not steam, they will send the registration code in the purchase email, which if it is a steam redeemable code bypasses the client completely. (I did this with skyrim for instance)
Posted Image

PM me to trade for EA PGA 11, MMA, Shift 2 Season Passes

#13063 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

The gamestop app doesn't predict steam/not steam, they will send the registration code in the purchase email, which if it is a steam redeemable code bypasses the client completely. (I did this with skyrim for instance)

It's also very hit or miss about whether or not you will get your Steam key in the email. Many people have reported they do not get the key in the email and actually have to DL and install the Gamestop App to see their Steam keys.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#13064 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Oi!

Less o' that tongue lass, I'll set me whippet on yer.

Are you taking the piss? ^_~

Because this thread has been silent way too long...

Thanks for the heads-up.

The GamersGate glitch was the Anthology: Master Collection. This one seems to be the Master Collection plus Neverwinter Nights collection.

The D&D Anthology" Master Collection on GG was legit $7 in late Feb 2012 and glitched down to $5 briefly during one of big holiday glitches (otherwise $10). The GG version of the D&D Anthology Master Collection is DRM-FREE. I speculate that all versions of it are DRM-FREE.

When was this that they emailed you your Skyrim key? Word around forums and my experience this fall is that you now need the Gamestop App to retrieve your steam keys?

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#13065 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

It's also very hit or miss about whether or not you will get your Steam key in the email. Many people have reported they do not get the key in the email and actually have to DL and install the Gamestop App to see their Steam keys.

Yep, this happened to me and when I complained they said it's against their policy to provide keys by email, that they never do it. Even though they sent it via email to other people for the same game on the same day. I'm never shopping there again, not installing that crap. After I uninstalled it I kept finding remnants of it in all different folders over the next few weeks.

#13066 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Midweek Deals

LEGO Lord of the Rings - 50% off ($14.99)
Sims 3 - 75% off base game ($7.50)
Sims 3 Expansions - 66% off ($6.79 - $13.59)

Daily Deal

Terraria - 75% off ($2.49)

#13067 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Wow, that's a large dump of Borderlands 2 skins.

I'm about to pick up that Sonic Racing game from GMG, played the demo on my 360 and it evokes memories of CTR, but isn't as good as that game is (to me). I'm aware of the lack of online multiplayer in the PC version, but is there anything else I should be wary of before I pick it up?

#13068 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Wasn't someone just hoping for a good Terraria sale? Get them to post about wanting X-Com for $4.99.

#13069 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

I remembered seeing people in this thread wanting to buy Alpha Protocol. It is now $3.74 at GMG. Combining with the 20%off coupon, it comes down to $3.00. Binary Domain is $5.00 after applying coupon. If you are new to GMG, buying via a referrer link will get you $2.00 credit if you spend more than $5.00. PM me is you need a referrer link.

Dang missed em. Need to stay up better on Amazon/GG/GMG/Steam.
Anyways. Far Cry 3 over at amazon steam version for 30$. Still seems a bit too pricey for me. I'll prolly bite at 20$.
GMG is having a Sonic deal. All the sonic games for ~21. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 I'm looking to pickup. You can also get stuff individually.
Tomorrow will be the Amazon Sega pack with Nights into Dreams subbed in for Sonic Adventure 1.

Daily is Terraria. For anyone who has not played Terraria. Buy it and buy it NOW. Its back to 75%. Also its probably my favorite game of the past 3 years. I've played multiple times but can never beat the Wall of Flesh on my own. Sense of exploration, crafting, building, with some nice ARPG loot collecting elements thrown in.

How do other people stay up on GMG? I missed Alpha Protocal. I'm RSS'ed to their blog but it didn't show up there. I guess just check the GMG thread here with more frequency?

Thoughts on Sims 3 stuff packs? Far Cry 3 for 30$? Borderlands 2 and XCOM came down way faster than Far Cry is.

Edited by sleeping_lights_on, 22 January 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#13070 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

The D&D Anthology" Master Collection on GG was legit $7 in late Feb 2012 and glitched down to $5 briefly during one of big holiday glitches (otherwise $10). The GG version of the D&D Anthology Master Collection is DRM-FREE. I speculate that all versions of it are DRM-FREE.

If I'm remembering correctly, the GG versions from the anthology are identical to the separate games as they're sold on GOG, so I would also suspect that all versions are DRM-Free.

#13071 theemadgamer

theemadgamer

SILENCE! I keel you!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

If I'm remembering correctly, the GG versions from the anthology are identical to the separate games as they're sold on GOG, so I would also suspect that all versions are DRM-Free.

I have the GG Anthology and can confirm the games are DRM free.

#13072 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Seems relevant since it's releasing soon:

#13073 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

I'm about to pick up that Sonic Racing game from GMG, played the demo on my 360 and it evokes memories of CTR, but isn't as good as that game is (to me). I'm aware of the lack of online multiplayer in the PC version, but is there anything else I should be wary of before I pick it up?

The new version will be out in 9 days with online multiplayer. If you can find someone with a GamersGate discount hosting a 4-pack, you can get a copy for $16 or so. Otherwise, the PC version of the original is missing a DLC car or two.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#13074 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Has anyone gotten Doom Rails to work on Windows 8 Pro 64 bit?
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#13075 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

The new version will be out in 9 days with online multiplayer. If you can find someone with a GamersGate discount hosting a 4-pack, you can get a copy for $16 or so. Otherwise, the PC version of the original is missing a DLC car or two.

$3 is a lot better than $16. Picked up the original.

Now to figure out whether any of the other Sonic games are worth picking up.

#13076 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Seems relevant since it's releasing soon:

I seem to be talking myself into buying this. Looks like it'll be a hoot in multiplayer mode. I need to know if it's any good as a solo game though (I suspect not).

#13077 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Has anyone gotten Doom Rails to work on Windows 8 Pro 64 bit?

This is the million dollar question! Where is our compatibility expert on the forum?

#13078 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Probably gonna bite on the bundle.
http://www.greenmang...edgehog-bundle/

Pretty sweet for 21$ Need to use the .2 off code.

#13079 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I seem to be talking myself into buying this. Looks like it'll be a hoot in multiplayer mode. I need to know if it's any good as a solo game though (I suspect not).

I already grabbed a 4-pack and will be playing it exclusively with other people. So it should be fun. Just hope I can get the third person I gifted the game to show so we can actually have a dungeon master (who is probably going to be an asshole).

#13080 hulk409

hulk409

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

I bought Sonic Racing from Steam over Christmas. It is pretty fun, controls well, and is easily worth it. The only problem is that it has frame rate issues. Well, it did for me anyway. My computer should easily be able to run it, but after I did a little research, I found out that it was just poor programming on Sega's part. Here's a quote from, I believe, a programmer...

"The truth is actually a lot simpler. The game sometimes needs to compile shaders for effects based on the video card you have. So sometimes if it encounters a shader it's not seen before, there will be a small stutter as the video card goes 'Oh wait! This is new, one sec...'. All the new shaders get stored in a shader cache, so once you've played all courses with all characters and fired all the weapons, it'll stop happening.

If we had every PC in the world, with every combination of graphics card, driver software and DX version, we'd have pre-compiled the lot, but we don't - so this is the best compromise we could make :P"

Link... http://forums.sega.c...es-and-stutters

I also read that ATI cards had more of an issue with this. Mine is an ATI card. I ended up deleting everything that was in the ShaderCache directory, and let it start from scratch. My kids and I have played for about 14 hours so far. It still happens, but it is not nearly as frequent. My advice is to let your kids (or borrow some if you don't have any) play for the first several hours.

With all that said, I still recommend it, especially for just a few bucks.