Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#13111 Dravo

Dravo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:59 AM

The lack of faith you both have in your GTX 260 is making my 8800GT cry.

It's actually just making a depressing wheezing sound, mostly.

Which is the way that it breathes.

Video Card model numbers haven't make sense in years.

Hey the number on this card is higher than mine. But it's slower. grr.

#13112 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

It's actually just making a depressing wheezing sound, mostly.

Which is the way that it breathes.

I made it sound like I have the same thing. I actually have a gtx 650ti. I got 34fps at 1920x1080 at high settings with high res textures. Was just wondering what ash got for comparison.

#13113 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

The store page has an "Install" button. When I clicked and nothing immediately installed I figured the textures were already downloaded in the main game and unlocked when I "bought" the pack. When I went in the options and tried to turn them on it kept saying I had to buy and install the pack. Right clicking the game in my library showed I already had it, but no option to download it. Last resort was restarting Steam and that kickstarted the 4gb update. Oh well, 3 minutes to go.

Edit: what kind of fps do you get with that 260? I just benchmarked at 34 set to high with textures on.

I found this article on Rage3D quite helpful in tuning SD. (IIRC, the AA is quite hamfisted at higher settings.) Not that it matters much anymore, but mine is the 55nm core 216 version (EVGA SuperClocked). Below is the SD benchmark result (options->display->advanced->benchmark).

Posted Image

Spoiler

Venerable =) I'm suprised how well it has held up for new games. I've had it coming up on 4 years (and bumped my monitor up from 1680x1050 @76 Hz to 1920x1200 @60Hz). By the time my 7900 GT was three years old it's performance was lacking in newer games.

Edited by asheskitty, 23 January 2013 - 03:21 AM.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#13114 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

I made it sound like I have the same thing. I actually have a gtx 650ti. I got 34fps at 1920x1080 at high settings with high res textures. Was just wondering what ash got for comparison.

From what I understand, the GTX 650 Ti performs pretty close GTX 260, though the GTX 260 only supports DX 10.1.

Video Card model numbers haven't make sense in years.

Hey the number on this card is higher than mine. But it's slower. grr.

Pfft, that's nothing. Mobile versions of graphics generally have no relation to desktop graphics. THe most -headscratch- for me are the overlapping Nvidia/ATi model numbers (e.g. 9800, 7950).

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#13115 MySaturdaySelf

MySaturdaySelf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

newbie question: does the sims 3 on steam still need to be activated through origins?

#13116 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

newbie question: does the sims 3 on steam still need to be activated through origins?

I believe the talk concerning this during the Winter Sale was that 1) It does not require Origin and 2) It can be activated on Origin as well if you'd like, though many of the expansions require you to contact Origin support directly in order to do so.

Almost 100% sure it doesn't require the use of Origin, however.

Sims 3 came out before Origin was a thing.

#13117 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

I believe the talk concerning this during the Winter Sale was that 1) It does not require Origin and 2) It can be activated on Origin as well if you'd like, though many of the expansions require you to contact Origin support directly in order to do so.

Almost 100% sure it doesn't require the use of Origin, however.

Sims 3 came out before Origin was a thing.

I can verify that you do not need origin if you have it on steam. I played it for 4 or 5 months with no problems before I even created an Origin account.

I can also verify that you can register it all (both the base game and the expansions/stuff packs) on Origin. Though you have to do so through www.thesims3.com. You need to create an account there and link it to your Origin account. It's not all that difficult, but it'll add an extra minute or two onto the procedure.

This allows you to have two copies for the price of one. I created an Origin account for my mother and gave here the codes to activate the game(s). Saved me the cost of buying it for her as well.

#13118 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

Man, I have no interest in the Sims 3, but all this talk along with this deal is making my purchasing finger all itchy.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#13119 oman19

oman19

Master of the Universe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

I'd like to make you feel better and tell you Doom Rails is as bad as it looks, but it's actually a blast.

Hope Windows 8 players can find a workaround and join in on some intense 8 player rollercoaster combat action soon.

Can't believe I'm actually getting jealous I didn't get in with you guys on Doom Rails lmao.

#13120 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

Man, I have no interest in the Sims 3, but all this talk along with this deal is making my purchasing finger all itchy.

I have a bit of interest in it but pretty much the same boat.

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#13121 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

Can't believe I'm actually getting jealous I didn't get in with you guys on Doom Rails lmao.

You might be able to find someone that will sell it to you, still.

I played it with PillowFight and PantsAttack the other night, and had a surprisingly good time. I'd imagine it's kind of awesome and hectic with 8 people, though. I'm looking forward to that match happening. :D

#13122 Captain Urahara

Captain Urahara

Praise The Sun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

I've always had a passing interest in The Sims. Never fully got into it like some folks but I've enjoyed jumping into it time and again just to mess around for awhile. I decided to pass on The Sims 3 during the Winter Sale. Might pick it up sooner or later but I'm in no rush.

I played it with PillowFight and PantsAttack the other night, and had a surprisingly good time. I'd imagine it's kind of awesome and hectic with 8 people, though. I'm looking forward to that match happening. :D

I've been trying to get it to work for awhile but it just crashes every time I try to load it. What is really bad as that when I load a game and it crashes immediately Raptr will pop up and say I played like 2 seconds of the game. Not with Doom Rails. It somehow crashes even before Raptr recognizes. I've tried to find a solution but have given up due to lack of patience, busy workweek, and a free copy of Darksiders to play on PS3(despite owning it on PC already).

I just entered my 4,000th Steamgifts giveaway. I've won 8 giveaways, with 3 of those being Group giveaways (from the CAG group) and 1 of them being a developer giveaway with 15,000 copies and 14,000-something entries.

So basically, I've won 1 out of every 1,000 public giveaways I've entered, or 0.1%.

Strangely, I've been entering giveaways there for 6 months, and 6 of my 8 wins were in the first two months.

Just thought I'd share. :)

As of right at this moment I've entered 2,960 giveaways with 7 wins total.
- Two of these were BGCQ giveaways, with one of those only having me as a solo entry.
- One of the giveaways was a CAG group giveaway.
- One of the giveaways was a developer giveaway for a game not even on Steam yet (Bloody Trapland: 1k copies, ~18k entries)
- Three of the giveaways were public.

Which brings up something I should have said sooner
GET BLOODY TRAPLAND ON STEAM Please? k T.Hanks!

That game deserves a spot on Steam and I never got a Steam key since it hasn't gotten greenlit :( Drop by the page and give it a thumbs up! :D
http://steamcommunit...ls/?id=92917767

Since it's not truly a Steam game that drops my true Steamgifts wins from 7 to 6 as it only gave me a desura code. Still glad I won it as it's a really fun platformer.

#13123 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Oh no, my gaming PC died. How am I going to pretend to play through my backlog now?

fs_overall.png

#13124 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Oh no, my gaming PC died. How am I going to pretend to play through my backlog now?

:applause:

Sad to hear your gaming PC died, but hilarious and true comment!

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#13125 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

If it's a true backlog, you probably have games from 2003 in there. Go get a Pentium 3 Dell desktop with sweet VooDoo card and start playing!

#13126 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

So Magicka weekend, Portal 2 Monday, Terraria Tuesday, and yet I'm having trouble figuring exactly what excitement Wednesday will bring. LIMBO Wednesday?

In addition to what Syntax said, some of those indie titles run just fine on a run-of-the-mill laptop. Also I was easily emulating 16-bit consoles and MAME'd arcades back in 2000, so I expect the Sonic classics should run with ease.

Or you can ask yourself, why lie? I don't need no stinking Gaming PC to backlog effectively =D

#13127 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Motoki was giving away copies, too. That's how I got mine. You missed out on free!

As for The Sims 3, is there any DLC that's really important to get for the game? Some of them, like the supernatural and adventure packs, seem a bit silly, but Showtime and Seasons seem like they might be game changing.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#13128 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

If it's a true backlog, you probably have games from 2003 1990 in there. Go get a Pentium 3 Dell desktop with sweet VooDoo card and start playing!

Fixed :lol:. I know Commander Keen is 1990. There is also those old Lucas Arts games (don't own them though).
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#13129 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Motoki was giving away copies, too. That's how I got mine. You missed out on free!

As for The Sims 3, is there any DLC that's really important to get for the game? Some of them, like the supernatural and adventure packs, seem a bit silly, but Showtime and Seasons seem like they might be game changing.

Ambitions is nice since it lets you choose a career that actually allows you to play your character at work.

#13130 AgentW

AgentW

Ate a sandwich.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Today's deal is Chaos on Deponia. At 66% off which brings it to $6.79.

which is apparently different than the one in the Indiegala bundle. the sequel I presume?

#13131 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

which is apparently different than the one in the Indiegala bundle. the sequel I presume?

Correct.

#13132 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

If it's a true backlog, you probably have games from 2003 in there. Go get a Pentium 3 Dell desktop with sweet VooDoo card and start playing!

Pentium 3s and Voodoos in 2003? My Voodoo 3 is circa 1997, and my Pentium 4 is circa 2003. I think I had a P3 in 2000.

Edit: I actually still have my Voodoo 3 and P4.

#13133 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Pentium 3s and Voodoos in 2003? My Voodoo 3 is circa 1997, and my Pentium 4 is circa 2003. I think I had a P3 in 2000.

Edit: I actually still have my Voodoo 3 and P4.

2003 would have been... Geforce 4?

#13134 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

It is part 2 of the trilogy.

#13135 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Back then I had an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 in my Powerbook, and a Geforce 5200 (fanless) in my (low-end) PC desktop (wanted to avoid the Geforce "dustbuster" 5600).

#13136 deftrance

deftrance

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Brings back the memories of my old Sapphire Radeon 9800 PRO SE and how I thought it was SUCH A BEAST.

Good times. Now that I'm taking the time to fill out my backloggery account... I'm getting sadfaced.

#13137 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

That sounds right. I think I had a GeForce 4 440 or a Ti4400. Probably still have it.

#13138 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Regarding the $11.24 D&D Ultimate Pack on GameStop...

I suspect:
D&D Anthology Master Collection is DRM-FREE (as it is on GG, owned, verified).
D&D NWN Complete:
* NWN Diamond is DRM-FREE (as it is on GOG, though GG.uk lists DRM:Other)
* NWN 2 Platinum is SecuROM (as it is on GG.uk)

NWN 2 Platinum was on steam Nov 2010 - June? 2012. Atari lost distribution rights for it then and Hasbro has taken over distribution. NWN 2 digital distribution seems quite limited atm. NWN 2 is reportedly much patched since it's buggy release.

Why am I tempted to buy this just for NWN 2 Platinum? (own the rest) :wall:

#13139 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Not that I was worried about accuracy but now that I think about it, I had a clunky old box with integrated graphics that I eventually upgraded with a GeForce 2 MX when the Everquest: Shadows of Luclin expansion (December 2001) came out and forced the upgrade. And I wasn't exactly buying bleeding edge technology.

#13140 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I guess since I finished the first game that its now time to get the second...
Posted Image