Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#13171 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Well at this point the purchase of the IP doesn't necessarily mean any of these companies will be keeping all these employees either. They could still sell Vigil's IP without any employees.

You're correct. The THQ letter to employees said THQ expected the buyers to keep most positions but some will probably be axed. Pay/benefits/etc may not be the same.

Without at least the core members, resurrecting technical IP from such a shutdown will be difficult (and possibly more trouble than it's worth).

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#13172 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

I can only assume that Darksiders was nowhere near a popular as one would think? Odd to think Homefront is a more valuable IP, but maybe HF was overproduced (hence all the cheap copies) so it skews its perceived value.

I found that particularly hilarious, too. Then again I've always thought Darksiders was horribly overrated.

#13173 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

I'm curious to know how much of the decision by Ubi to pick up THQ Montreal was to Fuck with Patrice's head. A 3 million dollar joke isn't totally out of the realm of possibility in this clusterfuck, right?

#13174 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

I might be confusing developers but wasn't Désilets working on some form of 'competition' for Assassin's Creed at THQ Montreal? Chances are they just bought it to block another publisher from getting it.

#13175 Lindor

Lindor

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Regarding Vigil/Darksiders, there's this blurb posted on GameSpot:

Kyle Orland over at Ars says in his piece:

"Darksiders developer Vigil Games received no bids and unfortunately will be shut down."

#13176 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

I'm curious to know how much of the decision by Ubi to pick up THQ Montreal was to Fuck with Patrice's head. A 3 million dollar joke isn't totally out of the realm of possibility in this clusterfuck, right?

I was thinking that maybe the fact that Ubisoft has a 2,100 employee operation in Montreal, so IP + talent might have been a good deal/mesh.

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#13177 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Shoite, I didn't realize Capcom announced Resident Evil: Revelations for the PC as well as the PS3/360/Wii U.

I'm hoping for a Steam entry, though I'm sure I don't need to hope that much. (The only surprise ending I can think of is Capcom pulling a Square-Enix. Thankfully, that scenario's unlikely.)

#13178 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Shoite, I didn't realize Capcom announced Resident Evil: Revelations for the PC as well as the PS3/360/Wii U.

I'm hoping for a Steam entry, though I'm sure I don't need to hope that much. (The only surprise ending I can think of is Capcom pulling a Square-Enix. Thankfully, that scenario's unlikely.)

For serious? That's awesome. The game looks amazing, but I would never buy a 3DS just for that.

I was going to buy a 3DS just for Megaman Legends 3, but...

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#13179 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Regarding the $11.24 D&D Ultimate Pack on GameStop...

I suspect:
D&D Anthology Master Collection is DRM-FREE (as it is on GG, owned, verified).
D&D NWN Complete:
* NWN Diamond is DRM-FREE (as it is on GOG, though GG.uk lists DRM:Other)
* NWN 2 Platinum is SecuROM (as it is on GG.uk)

NWN 2 Platinum was on steam Nov 2010 - June? 2012. Atari lost distribution rights for it then and Hasbro has taken over distribution. NWN 2 digital distribution seems quite limited atm. NWN 2 is reportedly much patched since it's buggy release.

Why am I tempted to buy this just for NWN 2 Platinum? (own the rest) :wall:

How's buying from Gamestop? The games are ALWAYS there to be downloaded or only a limited time? Sure those are the same GOG versions?

#13180 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

The GoG versions of those games barring the Neverwinter titles are the only versions that have ever been sold digitally, so yes, they're the GOG versions.

#13181 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

How's buying from Gamestop? The games are ALWAYS there to be downloaded or only a limited time? Sure those are the same GOG versions?

I have limited experience. I've only picked up a couple steam keys from them. The only store that was known for time-limited downloads was Uplay, but they reformed that in late spring 2012.

From GameStop PC Download FAQ

Games purchased through GameStop are tied to your GameStop PC account and can be re-downloaded at any time*.

Also from Impulse/about

Re-download your games again and again

* Specific games may have additional requirements

#13182 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

I bought the pack. The only games that explicitly say DRM-Free are Baldur's Gate I & II, and Icewind Dale I & II. None of the other games actually say what protection they have but I will try and figure out as much as I can, download speeds and harddrive space permitting.

#13183 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

I bought the pack. The only games that explicitly say DRM-Free are Baldur's Gate I & II, and Icewind Dale I & II. None of the other games actually say what protection they have but I will try and figure out as much as I can, download speeds and harddrive space permitting.

Looking a bit more I've found further evidence from the physical versions that:
NWN used to have SecuROM but it was removed in a later patch.
NWN 2 has/had (removed?) SecuROM but there is no activation limit (at least under Atari).

refs:
http://www.ign.com/a...hts-2-loses-drm
http://forum.daemon-...db.php?letter=N
http://www.gamefaqs....nights/49988870
http://www.gamersgat...or?issue=193181
http://www.rpgwatch....t?newsbit=12337

Ossian Studios is pleased to announce that there is no longer a 3-activation limit on NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate. The activation limit has been removed by Atari after Ossian highlighted to them how many fans were not happy with it. You can now install MoW as many times as you like on your computer. Here are some quick facts about this change:
Q: Do I still need to activate MoW to play?
A: Yes. The DRM activation limit has been removed but you still need to activate MoW online for each new installation on your computer. After the one-time activation for each installation, you don’t need an Internet connection to play. Activation is necessary to prevent serial numbers from being posted to the web where hundreds or thousands of people can access it.
Q: So, I don’t have to worry about changing my hardware and not being able to re-activate MoW?
A: No. You can change the hardware configuration or operating system on your computer as often as you like and can re-activate MoW as many times as you like.
Q: Is it okay if I install the game on more than one of my computers?
A: Yes, that’s fine.
Q: Are the MoW resources still encrypted?
A: Yes, the MoW resource files are still encrypted. However, we have provided most of this content for free from the Mysteries of Westgate page on the NWVault:

#13184 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

Defender Quest on sale over at GOG.

Would pick it up like I did FTL if developer did a sale too offering a steam key. I don't see one though.

#13185 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

http://store.steampo....com/app/18523/
Defense Grid: Containment DLC has been released.

Added to wishlist.

Is this the result of the kickstarter drive that they ran a while back? I remember that they ultimately wanted to do a sequel, but they fell short of that goal and had to settle on an expansion instead.

#13186 2wicked

2wicked

Game Hoarder Extraordinaire!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

Anyone notice borderlands 2 skin dlc packs added yesterday?

#13187 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

Anyone notice borderlands 2 skin dlc packs added yesterday?

Did.

Nice and cheap, waiting for a 50% off sale though.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#13188 Honeybaked Ham

Honeybaked Ham

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

Added to wishlist.

Is this the result of the kickstarter drive that they ran a while back? I remember that they ultimately wanted to do a sequel, but they fell short of that goal and had to settle on an expansion instead.

Yes this is the kickstarter DLC they wanted to make. The kickstarter was a bit misleading. They called it a DG2 kickstarter but it was really to make this DLC. They were asking for 250k, part 2 would be made if they reached 1 million but they only got to 270k.

76561197970731518.png

#13189 MuzikVillain

MuzikVillain

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

Sims 3 for $7.50 peaks my interest, but I've seen it for $10 previously like in May, should I just get it or wait until the basically start giving it away (< $5)?

#13190 Rerujnoc

Rerujnoc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Do you have the Mysteries of Westgate expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2 listed in your games list? I bought the pack and don't see the expansion.

#13191 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

Do you have the Mysteries of Westgate expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2 listed in your games list? I bought the pack and don't see the expansion.

I haven't bought mine yet, so I cannot confirm.

Try this:
Reset your GameStop PC App data using the instructions below and you should be good to go.
Please do the following within the PC App:
-Click the blue menu button in the upper left
-Choose 'Settings...'
-Click the 'Reset Data' button
-Close the GameStop PC App and re-launch it. You may notice a long update time, which is normal as it is rebuilding the deleted info.

Otherwise try posting on the GS forums https://forums.impul...n.com/forum/515 They seem pretty responsive.

#13192 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

Sims 3 for $7.50 peaks my interest, but I've seen it for $10 previously like in May, should I just get it or wait until the basically start giving it away (< $5)?

I suspect EA won't get around to "giving away" the Sims 3 until the Sims 4 comes out.

Edit: Eliminated those other irrelevant quotes that existed for a multi-quote post I decided was unnecessary. I apologize for any confusion.

Edited by Eldredpe, 24 January 2013 - 02:19 AM.

#13193 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

For those allergic to the Amazon thread Tony posted those Microsoft deals from earlier in the month are going to be their deal of the week next week. 10 bucks each for Arcade pack, Fable pack, and AoE3, all of which can have coupons used on them.

#13194 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

I suspect EA won't get around to "giving away" the Sims 3 until the Sims 4 comes out.

They aren't exactly giving away Sims 2 either. These Sims games last a long long time and as long as expansions come out they keep the prices up.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#13195 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

Man, some of those Free Bundle games look good. Why do I keep buying games and then spending most of my free time either with free entertainment or focusing on one or two retail games at a time? That does it, I'm playing Defender's Quest tonight.

piques.

#13196 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

piques.

Thank you! That was bugging me. Pet peeve.

elessar123.png

#13197 Rerujnoc

Rerujnoc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

I haven't bought mine yet, so I cannot confirm.

Try this:
Reset your GameStop PC App data using the instructions below and you should be good to go.
Please do the following within the PC App:
-Click the blue menu button in the upper left
-Choose 'Settings...'
-Click the 'Reset Data' button
-Close the GameStop PC App and re-launch it. You may notice a long update time, which is normal as it is rebuilding the deleted info.

Otherwise try posting on the GS forums https://forums.impul...n.com/forum/515 They seem pretty responsive.

Thanks for the help. Looking through that forum it looks like the expansion is built into the base game so it doesn't have a separate download. Unfortunately it will be awhile before I get a chance to install it and confirm if it is there.

#13198 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

Thank you! That was bugging me. Pet peeve.

Contrary to popular belief, a pet peeve is not a domesticated animal that produces nutritious and valuable milk.

The more you know.

#13199 gentlyporking

gentlyporking

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

The GoG versions of those games barring the Neverwinter titles are the only versions that have ever been sold digitally, so yes, they're the GOG versions.

GamersGate also sells it (I bought it from them last year and used their client to download the whole thing).
http://www.gamersgat...ster-collection

#13200 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

I was in a racing mood tonight so I turned on Burnout Paradise for like 30 mins. I must admit, I enjoy this game way more than the new NFS speed game. Mostly because the controls are way better than NFS:MW and the game just seems easier to deal with the stiff controls and there is less tight ass on the dime turns.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly