Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#13591 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

I wish Borderlands 2 fixed the mission difficulty issues that were present in the first. It's too easy to overlevel yourself just by doing the all the missions. Add in the DLC missions and you will be playing missions 5-10 levels below you that provide no challenge at all.

I made the mistake of playing straight through the Scarlett DLC since it was scaled perfectly for me. Now all the missions from the main game are 8 levels below me. Even before playing the dlc the missions were all 4 levels below me already though.

How hard would it be to scale the mission based on what level I am when I take it? Or does that make too much sense?

#13592 Flowette

Flowette

Level 56 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

How hard would it be to scale the mission based on what level I am when I take it? Or does that make too much sense?

This bugs me with any game that has a level system, but Borderlands particularly wound me up.

One option is to take the approach that Guild Wars 2 had - if you enter a zone that's too low for you, the game "de-levels" you by a suitable amount so there's still a suitable level of challenge for you. No facerolling through content, and you don't feel like the game is punishing you either :)

#13593 callmewoof

callmewoof

Really, call me Woof

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Non specific post but don't you hate when you discover a game and realize how good it is and you'd really like to buy it... only to discover that you missed that steam sale where it was 75% off with all DLC on sale just a week or two ago and now its full price everywhere...
Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Posted Image

#13594 cranky2

cranky2

Knight Of The Order Of Cheapassery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Non specific post but don't you hate when you discover a game and realize how good it is and you'd really like to buy it... only to discover that you missed that steam sale where it was 75% off with all DLC on sale just a week or two ago and now its full price everywhere...

I think if a game has you excited to play it, you should grab it.

#13595 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

One option is to take the approach that Guild Wars 2 had - if you enter a zone that's too low for you, the game "de-levels" you by a suitable amount so there's still a suitable level of challenge for you. No facerolling through content, and you don't feel like the game is punishing you either :)

You mean content-scaling aka "The Oblivion Effect." The down side to this is that you can spend hours and hours questing and levelling and you never walk through a place feeling like a badass because every creep is exactly the same level as you. Theoretically you could offset this with a reputation system to some degree but I've never seen a game successfully implement both.

fs_20fa6c7c0d5d11e0a23d8bb844bec87b.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#13596 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

So this was posted in the Indie Game Stand thread but I figure some people might not check there and it's a game that is highly likely to get Greenlit thus getting in now gets you a Steam copy later for cheap.

Cognition is the current Indie Game stand game.

http://indiegamestand.com/

It's pay what you want, with a $1 minimum to get keys (so if you want a Steam key later make sure you pay at least $1). If you beat the Average, currently $1.43, you get a soundtrack and prequel comic.

Jane Jensen (who made some classic adventure games like Gabriel Knight) was involved in this project so it's pretty high profile and looks really well put together. I'm fairly certain it will get Greenlit at some point but everyone interested should go vote for it. http://steamcommunit...ls/?id=92915746

If you have any interest in adventure games at all then definitely get in on this.

Do note that they are having some problems with Paypal at the moment where the payment info isn't flowing through properly for some people so if you can pay with another form like Google or Amazon that would be advisable for the time being.

If you do Paypal and the game doesn't show up for you submit a support ticket and keep checking back as some people have had it show up for them after several hours. The issue is known by Indie Game Stand and they are working on it.

mdUFwSE.png

#13597 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

So this was posted in the Indie Game Stand thread but I figure some people might not check there and it's a game that is highly likely to get Greenlit thus getting in now gets you a Steam copy later for cheap.

Spoiler

Totally in for this - already had my vote on Greenlight. Thanks!

#13598 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

It's pay what you want, with a $1 minimum to get keys (so if you want a Steam key later make sure you pay at least $1). If you beat the Average, currently $1.43, you get a soundtrack and prequel comic.

Jane Jensen (who made some classic adventure games like Gabriel Knight) was involved in this project so it's pretty high profile and looks really well put together. I'm fairly certain it will get Greenlit at some point but everyone interested should go vote for it. http://steamcommunit...ls/?id=92915746

If you have any interest in adventure games at all then definitely get in on this.

Spoiler

Cool. I voted this up on Greenlight, so I'll gladly snag it at a good price. Thanks.

#13599 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

You mean content-scaling aka "The Oblivion Effect." The down side to this is that you can spend hours and hours questing and levelling and you never walk through a place feeling like a badass because every creep is exactly the same level as you. Theoretically you could offset this with a reputation system to some degree but I've never seen a game successfully implement both.

Easy. Offer options for level scaling on or off plus a difficulty option. The difficulty option only changes the levels of the enemies while scaling, while leaving everything else unchanged.

For example, if your character is lvl 10:
Very easy: enemies range from 5-8
Easy: enemies range from 7-10
Normal: enemies range from 9-12
Hard: enemies range from 11-14
Very hard: enemies range from 13-15

#13600 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

I prefer more static enemy levels like in Borderlands over meeting level 65 bandits at level 65 outside the starting town ("Hey, you guys been questing too? We should all go kill dragons!") but I'll admit that BL could have done it better. Even when I wasn't making a point to complete every board & side mission, I would typically be a few levels over my foes.

How does BL handle level disparities during co-op? I'd be willing to co-op BL with any of you folks still playing but I don't know if it's problematic if we're not at the same place, power-wise.

#13601 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

I prefer more static enemy levels like in Borderlands over meeting level 65 bandits at level 65 outside the starting town ("Hey, you guys been questing too? We should all go kill dragons!") but I'll admit that BL could have done it better. Even when I wasn't making a point to complete every board & side mission, I would typically be a few levels over my foes.

How does BL handle level disparities during co-op? I'd be willing to co-op BL with any of you folks still playing but I don't know if it's problematic if we're not at the same place, power-wise.

It doesn't do anything. The mission level is just based on the host's game.

#13602 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Steam isn't telling me that I already own the games that I own when looking at a game page in Chrome browser. Is anyone else having this problem?

#13603 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

>.> I don't get the trouble with shift codes. Highlight them. Copy. alt-tab BL2, click once in the first shift code box, ctrl-v. I honestly thought some of you were playing on console.

Even just talking main story (no-DLC), Borderlands 1 has severe overleveling possibilities if you do all the side quests. Borderlands 2 has this to a bit lesser extent.

That said, I prefer static enemey levels because if you get stuck (I like did on Sledge in BL1) you can always go level a bit to help you past your block. Also when running through early areas (e.g. for collectables hunting) it's a satisfying to badass your way through (and annoying to have to re-fight though long tunnels of at level guys).

For Borderlands 1, I used WillowTree save editor to knock down my level quite frequently. In Borderlands 2, I skipped side quests.

Note you can also weaken yourself by using lower level gear.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#13604 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Easy. Offer options for level scaling on or off plus a difficulty option. The difficulty option only changes the levels of the enemies while scaling, while leaving everything else unchanged.

For example, if your character is lvl 10:
Very easy: enemies range from 5-8
Easy: enemies range from 7-10
Normal: enemies range from 9-12
Hard: enemies range from 11-14
Very hard: enemies range from 13-15

I agree that it's pretty easy when you lay it out that way, but I can't recall playing any game that ever did this. Isn't level-scaling usually a design choice rather than a user option?

#13605 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

I agree that it's pretty easy when you lay it out that way, but I can't recall playing any game that ever did this. Isn't level-scaling usually a design choice rather than a user option?

I know when I played City of Heroes it had this type of scaling that was user controlled. I don't know of any others though. Of course scaling was always on for instanced missions, but the world was static outside of missions.

My problem with Borderlands is it is really a linear loot driven game instead of an open explore the world rpg. When the loot getting dropped is 5 levels below you and useless, what's the fun? The rpg aspect is essentially stripped and you now have a mindless shooter.

#13606 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Imo, Borderlands was never marketed/sold as an RPG, it's Diablo re-imagined as a FPS. The only RPG element in it is skill trees (oh and handful of quests give you a teeny bit of choice). I feel that "it's not a RPG" criticism is a little off the mark.

As a Diablo fan, but not FPS fan, I really like it. It's one of those games I didn't expect to like. A close friend recommended it to me, and I took a chance on BL1 GOTY @ $7.50 a few winter sales back.

Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#13607 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

I know some CAGs were waiting on a good price for this, non-steam may be a deal breaker for some.

GMG has Sacred 2 Gold for $6.79 ($5.43 AC). Requires Capsule to download, can't be traded in, so I assume it is the recent DRM-FREE release. GG has it DRM-FREE, Steam has it (and DRM-FREE on steam).

GMG also has Ridge Racer Unbounded (steam) for $10 AC. I've been playing this a bit recently. It's an interesting arcade racer that is inspired by Split/Second & Burnout and isn't too easy. I've been enjoying it.

Edited by asheskitty, 28 January 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#13608 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

GMG also has Ridge Racer Unbounded (steam) for $10 AC. I've been playing this a bit recently. It's an interesting arcade racer that is inspired by Split/Second & Burnout and isn't too easy. I've been enjoying it.

Funny, I was just coming here to ask your opinion on that. ;)

I'll probably grab it since with the coupon code it's sub 75%.

mdUFwSE.png

#13609 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Motoki's back!

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#13610 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

^_^ I'm only two hours into in (and another hour on the demo on steam), but they have been a very enjoyable two hours. I've beaten the first district (of seven?) but not 100%ed it. I really like the time trial tracks as they are zany (In a way that I havent' seen much since the 90s). The only modern comparison for those time trial tracks is TrackMania.

#13611 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Imo, Borderlands was never marketed/sold as an RPG, it's Diablo re-imagined as a FPS. The only RPG element in it is skill trees (oh and handful of quests give you a teeny bit of choice). I feel that "it's not a RPG" criticism is a little off the mark.

As a Diablo fan, but not FPS fan, I really like it. It's one of those games I didn't expect to like. A close friend recommended it to me, and I took a chance on BL1 GOTY @ $7.50 a few winter sales back.

I disagree with your assessment of the marketing. I remember all of the ads and interviews when the first game came out, with the dev talking about how it was the "world's first role-playing shooter." It didn't really look that great to me, which is one of many reasons I waited for a $10 Steam sale, and I didn't regret waiting. I found it to be an okay shooter but a joke as an RPG and we all (probably) know what happens with the story
Spoiler

I know some CAGs were waiting on a good price for this, non-steam may be a deal breaker for some.

GMG has Sacred 2 Gold for $6.79 ($5.43 AC). Requires Capsule to download, can't be traded in, so I assume it is the recent DRM-FREE release. GG has it DRM-FREE, Steam has it (and DRM-FREE on steam).

Hm. That is a good price for Sacred 2 Gold. I'm not married to Steam so I'll have to think about this one.

#13612 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I disagree with your assessment of the marketing. I remember all of the ads and interviews when the first game came out, with the dev talking about how it was the "world's first role-playing shooter."

My fuzzy recollection says you're right! (I tend to completely ignore stuff until it's under $20). My impressions were based more on what gamers were saying on boards and forums well after release.

#13613 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I don't generally have this problem. Rather, people start discussing some great game and it sounds really appealing, and I check to see that I already own it and don't even remember buying it. -.-

Do note that they are having some problems with Paypal at the moment where the payment info isn't flowing through properly for some people so if you can pay with another form like Google or Amazon that would be advisable for the time being.

If you do Paypal and the game doesn't show up for you submit a support ticket and keep checking back as some people have had it show up for them after several hours. The issue is known by Indie Game Stand and they are working on it.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm still hoping for Gray Matter to make it onto Steam, too.

#13614 El Vader

El Vader

Dark Lord of the Sith

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Motoki, man, im glad you return.
Im new in these forums (lurked for some time) and I always enjoyed your posts.
Now, I only need a glitched sale of Borderlands 2 for 3$ and i can call this a good day.

#13615 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Motoki, man, im glad you return.
Im new in these forums (lurked for some time) and I always enjoyed your posts.
Now, I only need a glitched sale of Borderlands 2 for 3$ and i can call this a good day.

Nah, as soon as you get that you'll be needing a glitched sale on the Mechromancer Pack, the Season Pass, maybe Creature Slaughterdome, ...and those new skins are pretty neat.

And if you're really looking for BL2 action, I'd highly recommend Borderlands 1 GOTY ($5 AC with some other stuff on Amazon atm). They are really not much different. Even if you're beaten it, have you played all four classes in BL1?

#13616 El Vader

El Vader

Dark Lord of the Sith

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Nah, as soon as you get that you'll be needing a glitched sale on the Mechromancer Pack, the Season Pass, maybe Creature Slaughterdome, ...and those new skins are pretty neat.

I don't know you guys but, I was a normal person, I had barely any game on Steam or any game whatsoever, but one day, in the middle of the "black friday" steam-deal I stumble upon this forum, and from having 5 games on steam, now i have 173.
You guys infected me with -let's buy all the good deals-, and you know what? im grateful.
And yes, i was a pirate, I live in Uruguay, a small South American Country, and the games here always been too expensive, and I mean, the PS3 here (normal Ps3 60Gb) is 790U$D!!

I always pirated the games, it was the only thing i could do, but now, all grown up, with an international credit card, and after I discovered this forum, and saw all the cheap games, I finally got all the games i LOVED and i never could buy.

So, THANKS CAG'S!! im having a great time!! and i hope my game list to be bigger and bigger!!

(got all emotional, sorry xD, Motoki's fault)

#13617 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Welcome to the... light side? Slightly less dark side? Anyway, welcome to the fold. :D

#13618 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

I don't know about Uruguay, but in other parts of the world it can be quite hard to find a truly genuine product (I've seen many high quality fakes.)

Repeating this, since I proabaly added it after you read my post...
And if you're really looking for BL2 action, I'd highly recommend Borderlands 1 GOTY ($5 AC with Darkness II and DNF on Amazon). They are really not much different. Even if you're beaten it, have you played all four classes in BL1?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by asheskitty, 28 January 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#13619 Dragonsbane

Dragonsbane

Dr. StrangeCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Woo welcome back!
Dr. Strange CAG- Or how I learned to stop worrying and love cheap stuff.

Posted Image
Christianity: The belief that a Jewish cosmic zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree.

#13620 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

NOO! Why no Steam key! I'd own Sacred 2 Gold for ~6$. Guess I'll be waiting. I already own Sacred 2 and Ice/Blood on Gamersgate anyways. The DRM free is super nice though. Sacred 2 DRM is just dumb. Heck I might just grab the DRM free version too. Why this absolute infatuation with Sacred 2, I haven't the foggiest.

Can anyone comment if it really is a DRM free version? That would be so! cool. No key, no activating, deactivating, yadda yadda.

Edited by sleeping_lights_on, 28 January 2013 - 08:44 PM.